• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't felt this angry since the end of spice and wolf. I can't be mad cause this episode was amazing.
this really is the confrontation of both Yui and Yuki's feelings for Hachiman. Yui was supposed to have this date together with him but she sacrificed her dream date in order to bring them all together. This was a devious plot from a supposed nice girl as she uses this oppertunity to openly confess her feelings yet still trying to have both of her best friends be together by letting Yuki have not once but two chances to confess her feelings. Yuki is afraid of confessing since she doesn't know what'll happen after. She doesn't want to destroy her friendship with Yui and Hachiman. The moment we've been waiting for is denied by Hachiman as he rejects the entire confrontation by calling it a deception. He wants this to be genuine and having someone be put on the spot for such a big choice was not going to end well. They've resolved themselves to wait for now but the image he's created for either girl is broken when he states once again that Yui is a nice girl and Yuki is a strong one. This image is shattered as he sees Yui's cunning deception and Yuki's strong persona crumble to her vulnerable inner self. They are all at the edge of their relationship as both sides are now evident. I don't know who Hachiman will pick as he has feelings for both but we won't get our answer soon. Nevertheless SNAFU was a great journey that must be resolved in any way for me.

Pretty much the perfect breakdown for this episode. It really was the culimination of this season's theme of genuine vs. real relationships. Yui was trying to force an unnatural confession from Yukinon who is trying to mask her feelings in a fake persona. Both characters original appearances from Hikigiya's perspective were proved wrong: Yui isn't such a nice girl and Yukinon is nowhere near as strong as he thought. The whole date scene is ideally the perfect balance and relationship between all three of them but it is only a dream scenario. It's impossible to ignore the truth that they each have stronger feelings for someone else among them. Yet Hikigiya wants these feelings to develop and be confessed by the own person's will which is exactly why he protected Yukinon in the end.

Overall this has been an amazing show, pretty much meeting all my expectations and wants. All I need is an OVA or movie to finish it off.

Phatmac

Top tier write-up and analysis. I don't personally mind the non-ending since it was pretty clear from the get go that there are too many issues to resolve in a single episode. I do join the various voices in hoping that the series is brought to a close in animated format after the final volume(s) have hit the ground. Leaving things at this level permanently would be a huge dick move.
We all knew that it's be a cliffhanger style ending that didn't resolve everything but the way it ended still pissed me off. I haven't felt like this in a whole since the show is just that good. I hope someday this story is finished in the anime as reading it wouldn't be the same. I still probably couldn't keep my curiosity pure and will spoil myself the second the novel drops.

I assume we get Asuka's story at some point in the novels because the show has been teasing the "mystery" behind her pretty hard.
Asuka's backstory is detailed in the third novel. It's quite fascinating, though I'd hope there'd be some way to fit in Aoi's backstory as well as I found her first meeting with Asuka to be incredibly entertaining/insightful for her character too.

Takeda did a cute thing. The first novel features Kumiko interacting with the first years (Reina, Hazuki, Sapphire). The second novel adds the second years (Natsuki, Yuko, Mizure (she's been in the background and none of you have paid attention to her in the anime! HA!), and Nozomi (one of the members who quit last year). The third novel adds focus on the third years (Asuka, Haruka & Kaori (to an extent), and Mamiko (Kumiko's sister and university 3rd year)). It's kinda humorous, but their stories all fit with the overarching plots of the band as a whole and the growth of Kumiko.

Yeah aniplex is silly with its DVD hangups. It wont do bluray except after a certain time and only if they believe they can make good money from it.
Yeah, Aniplex of America is silly with their restrictions from their parent company and their desire to make a profit on physical releases sold. It's not like they saw streaming numbers meant they'd take a loss on a Vividred BD.

This is the first I (and ANN be extension) have heard of it. My bad. Carry on.
ANN is usually either late or translates horribly. Using them as a resource is the biggest sign of laziness and ignorance to other places that post news (like in this thread where that JoJo information was posted earlier).

Shokugeki No Soma 13

I do not like the casting choice for Alice, her voice is just off and I can't put my finger on why. At least the far superior partner Ryo has a great voice and a bad ass theme song that matches his character perfectly. Other then that another fantastic episode with a perfect cliff hanger stopping spot.

Phatmac

Pretty much the perfect breakdown for this episode. It really was the culimination of this season's theme of genuine vs. real relationships. Yui was trying to force an unnatural confession from Yukinon who is trying to mask her feelings in a fake persona. Both characters original appearances from Hikigiya's perspective were proved wrong: Yui isn't such a nice girl and Yukinon is nowhere near as strong as he thought. The whole date scene is ideally the perfect balance and relationship between all three of them but it is only a dream scenario. It's impossible to ignore the truth that they each have stronger feelings for someone else among them. Yet Hikigiya wants these feelings to develop and be confessed by the own person's will which is exactly why he protected Yukinon in the end.

Overall this has been an amazing show, pretty much meeting all my expectations and wants. All I need is an OVA or movie to finish it off.
I agree with everything here. Good write up! We all need an OVA or something to mend our broken hearts!

Mandelbo

Halfway through Plastic Memories 11

I don't have anything specific to say about the episode yet, but I have a prediction for the final episode. The manager has been asking Isla for tea almost every episode so far - my bet is that in the final episode he starts his sentence and cuts himself off before he finishes... because
she's dead.
It'll augment the sadness and remind us of what we've lost! Just saying that if that happens, I called it!

Tizoc

Asking again: What are the must watch Lupin anime series?

THANK

YOU

GOD

i1kerCx.jpg

Would have been absolutely perfect if they had shown the paizuri scene as well.

This is relevant to my interests.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
OreGairu Too 13

I wasn't that fond of the first season - seeing everyone glorify someone who doesn't know how animals work or how being nice works, and only seemed to make things worse and put everyone down, just confused me. Especially with the Batman comparisons. Made me question the whole idea of using Batman as a point of comparison. Thankfully, S2 did improve my opinion of Hachiman a bit, but that he was still being lionized before the episode 8 moment is a little weird. I get that people can relate to him, but to put him on a pedestal? And for as much as shipping takes over things in other shows, a lot of the board discussion for this show seemed to be almost entirely shipping. I liked the second season more than the first (post episode 8, anyway), and Yui remains my favorite because she at least tries to be optimistic. I think in the end, it's going to be one of those shows that I get why other people like it, but I don't think it's for me.

Shipping is the point though

I've felt this way since Thursday, damn it SNAFU, I need more. Also, for those of ypu who ddidn't get what the penguin sign said, it was something about
penguins not changing couples until one of the two dies, basically, staying together til death do them part
so yeah, it was a pretty important thing for that scene. It called to my attention how Hachiman reacted upon realising of what the sign said.
I think him leaving wasn't meant as him not wantibg to be with Yui, but more of him not being able to handle the whole situation, with all the Yui flashbacks and stuff
I think it presents and interesting duality to the ssituation, the fact that they have to advance and thus the status quo can't be mainteined, but at the same time they can't force said advansement, or else it could go wrong.
The ending also generates bipolar feelings. It felt incomplete and inconclusive, leaving us craving for more, a need that cannot be satisfied in the short term, but at the same time I wouldn't had the ending any other way, or else, it would have felt forced and rushed, in the light off all the problems they presented to us. It's just building up for the big finale. That said, if they don't give us at least some OVAs I'll be pissed as hell.

Arabesque

UBW 25 makes realise how better it would've been had they just been more liberal and did more original stuff ... sigh

Oh well, for what it was, it was pretty good. The Fate/Grand Order CM was pretty cool, and glad that it won't get delayed again.

Shokugeki No Soma 13

I do not like the casting choice for Alice, her voice is just off and I can't put my finger on why. At least the far superior partner Ryo has a great voice and a bad ass theme song that matches his character perfectly. Other then that another fantastic episode with a perfect cliff hanger stopping spot.

I actually thought the voice was spot on. Alice is meant to be something of a ditz, so giving her and airy voice fits well and makes that aspect of her personality even clearer. It's actually where I think the greatest strength the anime has is that all of the VA are perfect.

Ryo's theme was pretty hype as well.

somebody remind me when does the savior of anime (One-punch Man) come out?

Fall I think?

Paltheos

Mostly. It's better to say though Yui isn't the concept of nice that both Hachiman and Yui have of it. Their understanding of nice includes putting to the side your own feelings in favor of a friend's who would otherwise have been compromised. That's, unsurprisingly, an immature understanding, and Yui's actions this episode don't run on a linear scale like that. If anything, what she ended up doing is actually nicer than their childish understanding of it.

I actually thought the voice was spot on. Alice is meant to be something of a ditz, so giving her and airy voice fits well and makes that aspect of her personality even clearer. It's actually where I think the greatest strength the anime has is that all of the VA are perfect.

Ryo's theme was pretty hype as well.

I get that, but I still feel like she could have had an airy/confident sound while still being ditzy. I do admit that when she got into the ditzy comedy scene with Ryo she was a lot better then in all the serious scenes.

Rin-ne 12

I already like Ageha way better then Tsubasa as he never felt like a serious part of either the love triangle nor the action scenes as he's pathetically weak. Seems like the dad is going to be the main antagonist going forward which works well he's the right kind of villain for this story. One of the better episodes set up episodes of the show so far.

zulux21

Danmachi - 13

Bell-kun is a hero ... and heroes are OP.

I guess i can accept this explanation ... Wait does that mean that he received 2 blessings ? zeus and hestia ? ROFL

nah, he didn't get a blessing from zeus, he is just 1/4th god thanks to being zeus' grandson (thus his and hestia's babies would be 5/8ths god)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
lol the main book series isn't ending any time soon in snafu.

There's still at least 12 episodes of plot threads

Angry Grimace

nah, he didn't get a blessing from zeus, he is just 1/4th god thanks to being zeus' grandson (thus his and hestia's babies would be 5/8ths god)
I doubt Bell is his real grandson. I thought that was pretty predictable down to which God it was.

One-punch man is going to be mad hype. Actually seeing the punches animated will be super tight.

See the problem I have is the budget because I feel if even one scene that has over the top action gets animated all the budget will be used up. Like how the heck will they be able to animate the humongous Meteor segment. That scene will literally eat up all the budget. So far MadHouse hasn't impressed me for a while especially how they animated the action scenes from Parasyte. Man Mappa or Bones would of been a better fit in my opinion since they know how to animate sasuga scenes really well. Now I'm not saying Madhouse is terrible but the thing is most of their talent either left or went to Mappa so yeah. Plus OnePunch Man being published in Young Jump Magazine makes my expectations a bit lower because most of their adaptions are shit.

Anyways I really hope the adaption turns out great, but I doubt they will ever get close to the godlike art Murata does for OnePunch Man. It would of been better if they went with One's style for OnePunch Man.

Arcadius

Banned
Secret FUCKING garden?

It's god damn Josh Groban.

The man has the voice of an angel

You do know Secret Garden wrote the song originally right? I know that Josh Groban sung it, but it's a Secret Garden song.... =/.... It's also a popular song that gets a ton of covers in just about every language possible. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Garden_(duo)

Edit: I've also only ever heard of Brian Kennedy's rendition of the song too, since that's the one on the album.

Grzi

See the problem I have is the budget because I feel if even one scene that has over the top action gets animated all the budget will be used up. Like how the heck will they be able to animate the humongous Meteor segment. That scene will literally eat up all the budget. So far MadHouse hasn't impressed me for a while especially how they animated the action scenes from Parasyte. Man Mappa or Bones would of been a better fit in my opinion since they know how to animate sasuga scenes really well. Now I'm not saying Madhouse is terrible but the thing is most of their talent either left or went to Mappa so yeah. Plus OnePunch Man being published in Young Jump Magazine makes my expectations a bit lower because most of their adaptions are shit.

Anyways I really hope the adaption turns out great, but I doubt they will ever get close to the godlike art Murata does for OnePunch Man. It would of been better if they went with One's style for OnePunch Man.

Madhouse absolutely KILLED it on Hunter X Hunter. I completely lost faith in them until they did that adaptation. Hopefully they use the same talent on OnePunch Man.

Thoraxes

This is the first I (and ANN be extension) have heard of it. My bad. Carry on.
Oh no worries! People should know!
they should just release it on Bluray also if it's going to be delayed.
I wish! I'd pay whatever they ask.
Yeah, Aniplex of America is silly with their restrictions from their parent company and their desire to make a profit on physical releases sold. It's not like they saw streaming numbers meant they'd take a loss on a Vividred BD.
I wish more people watched Silver Spoon so we could get BDs and I could buy it ;_;

Assassination Classroom 18 dub

The assassination was really cool to watch, and the fall out has created a really unique set up this series hasn't had before. Hopefully Nagisa gets to go off next episode I feel he didn't get a cool enough scene during the actual assassination.

You do know Secret Garden wrote the song originally right? I know that Josh Groban sung it, but it's a Secret Garden song.... =/.... It's also a popular song that gets a ton of covers in just about every language possible. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Garden_(duo)

I don't care who wrote the song.

Josh Groban took the song and made it the anthem of everything good in the world.

Just like Johnny Cash took Trent Reznor's 'Hurt' and made it his own.

Seraph of the End 7 Dub

Oh good, I was just thinking what this shonen shit needed was a tsundere female who quickly fall for our hero. This series really should just star Shanoa she's easily the best character and I'd go so far as to say one of the best female characters in any shonen shit series I've seen/read. People should watch SotE just to watch her antics.

cajunator

Banned
Vividred Operation has a limited Blu Ray collection with 2 episodes per volume and each volume running towards $60-80. No offense, but that's just ridiculous and so stupid, because the Blu Ray actually features upgraded animation scenes, better perspective on scenes, nudity with breasts and nipples and great ass shots and a lot of skin being shown. I hear Aniplex likes to do that, make Blu Rays cost an insane amount of money and it pisses me off to no end...... I won't say any more, but try watching the BR is possible.

I agree with you so much. When they first showed the docking scene, I really thought it was going to be kissing on the lips, would have made Vividred Operation just even better and I already consider it a top favorite, seriously. All the Vivid transformations, especially yellow, I was jumping up and down on my chair squeeing in delight. I love love love it, seriously, who ever recommended this (Probably Cajun), thank you sooooo much, it's an all time favorite.

I dont know if I recommended it or not but I would have at some point.
You will like Strike Witches though, and there are two seasons of it!

Danmachi - 13

Bell-kun is a hero ... and heroes are OP.

I guess i can accept this explanation ... Wait does that mean that he received 2 blessings ? zeus and hestia ? ROFL

Anyway , this episode freaking DELIVERED .. what better way to end a season than an all out battle against a boss ? what a nasty boss fight , trully worth of this party.

WHAT A PARTY
Elf -chan is badass ? THAT SAMURAI WITH THE GRAVITY MAGIC WAS FREAKING EPIC ..and so was everything else. trully , i have no complains ... this is basicly what should a boss raid feel like , unless i'm watching log horizon ( log horizon is cool and unmatched , but danmachi nailed it perfectly in another way.)
Maybe the animation was stiff , maybe .. i don't care much because the pacing of this episode was top notch... if it was, it was , IMO cleverly hidden or in a way that wasn't obvious..

Danmachi at least knows how to focus on something to make it epic and imo , that's what matters.

Anyway , bell-kun is probably going for the harem route subconsciously , but at least his main goal ( ainz ) is the best choice he could have made , way to go , hero , another right step done.

In the end , danmachi is a solid anime , with a good premise , solid action at the right times , good production values , good music and excellent characters. This is one anime to recommand .

Now, i guess it's time to go on amazon.jp and buy the rest of the books.

All I know is, Lili was smiling beautifully in the last episode and Im happy.

I'm reminded why I go through the trouble of catching up with the thread when I stumble on something like this (or a really well written review for an episode/series).

Anyway, Soma - 1

I had a bit of an idea of what I was getting into when I popped in the first episode but I genuinely wasn't expecting this to be anywhere near as entertaining as it was. Deliciously absurd? It's one of those things where the concept is just so out there but played completely straight by the characters actually living in the world that I love. Everything from the protagonist being the one to handle the businesswoman when she first enters the store instead of the father and the actual progression of events from the actual cooking battle to showing up at the "elite cooking school" just put a smile on my face. It's Food Lewd and if the first episode is any indication of what I'm for for the rest of the series I think I'll enjoy this one.

Back to sifting through 100+ pages of AnimeGAF ...

You are in for a treat with Soma. Its the way shounen anime should be, both in writing and execution. Soma is the right kind of arrogant and confident but not infallible. The stakes are high enough to give tension and of course it has some cuties in it and a mean hearted bitch named Erina. Soma is one o my recent favorites I have to say.

I agree with you so much. When they first showed the docking scene, I really thought it was going to be kissing on the lips, would have made Vividred Operation just even better and I already consider it a top favorite, seriously. All the Vivid transformations, especially yellow, I was jumping up and down on my chair squeeing in delight. I love love love it, seriously, who ever recommended this (Probably Cajun), thank you sooooo much, it's an all time favorite.

I really did not enjoy Vividred that much.

When I watched the first episode and saw that the girl's grandfather gave her magical girl powers I was like "AW YES MAGICAL GIRL MAZINGER Z!"

But once the group of four girls was assembled, I felt like things didn't progress all that well.

I especially have gripes with the ending.
Don't get me wrong, I love happy endings! But Vividred seemed especially insistent on making its ending as sadness-free as possible! Like, did they really have to resurrect the girl's entire world at the end out of nowhere? They couldn't just stick with her accepting what happened and moving forward?

If you want a magical girl show that I feel is better, I'd recommend Nanoha and Yuki Yuna is a Hero. You'd definitely enjoy those.

cajunator

Banned
Woke up to the new NeoGAF logo and all I can think about is this

Oh man I want to play Jet Set Radio again :(

Subpar seasons aside, Korra was legit. Making dreams come true!

Wow.

Then let it burn, and let the ashes scatter in the wind.

I honestly do like it a lot, just wished
my girl Yaya ended up with her love of her life. Hurts just thinking about it. :(

I forget your final reactions to Sakura Trick. Were they positive or negative?

Arcadius

Banned
I really did not enjoy Vividred that much.

When I watched the first episode and saw that the girl's grandfather gave her magical girl powers I was like "AW YES MAGICAL GIRL MAZINGER Z!"

But once the group of four girls was assembled, I felt like things didn't progress all that well.

I especially have gripes with the ending.
Don't get me wrong, I love happy endings! But Vividred seemed especially insistent on making its ending as sadness-free as possible! Like, did they really have to resurrect the girl's entire world at the end out of nowhere? They couldn't just stick with her accepting what happened and moving forward?

If you want a magical girl show that I feel is better, I'd recommend Nanoha and Yuki Yuna is a Hero. You'd definitely enjoy those.

That's okay Nintendoman, it's not a popular show to begin with from what I could tell. I was in this incredible mood yesterday, full of happiness and stuff (didn't even know about the Supreme Court ruling, just a happy day yesterday) and Vividred is such a feel good anime, it's not that deep, the girls never learn new attacks and repeat the same ones over and over again, a lot isn't explained, but when I was watching yesterday, I was literally jumping in my chair and was really ecstatic at how beautiful and fun and ecchi Vividred was. I'll take a look into the two anime you listed, magical girl shows are really fun stuff. Sometimes it's nice to watch something that knows what it is and just continues with it, Vividred is without a doubt a show focused on ecchi, fun fights and making everyone happy and feel good; anime like that are nice, since there is also a lot of shows that focus on the despair and sadness and making things really deep, ya know?

FSN UBW End

Well at least there was Shinji so it had some bit of happiness to it, otherwise, didnt care for much of the episode. Aimer could have done the music or something.

Is there no more Fate content to be animated?

Midonin

Fate/stay night UBW 25

Seeing Luvia but no Miyu (and not to mention Illya's state...) was a bit of a surprise, but I know I'll be seeing her again in a few weeks, when it's time for Zwei Hertz. I still like Prisma Illya more than anything, and I also like SN more than Zero, but I also know I have yet to get the complete story. Curious for more info about the Heaven's Feel movies. I've never played the original VN, so it'll be my first time seeing it. I can appreciate the animation upgrade in this, and it does have more time to expand on its thesis compared to the UBW movie. Gave me some food for thought, and I found it overall pretty enjoyable. But the true conclusion is yet to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom