• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.
FSN UBW End

I watched the first 4 episodes before I dropped it. Just checking in to see Rin. What I got from this episode was a fight scene where girls wrestle using shiny magic, a nod to Fate/Zero and beautiful backdrops of London. I forgot how ugly the foreground character art is. Thankfully the backgrounds are gorgeous. From what I can judge from this episode I missed nothing dropping this series.

I liked the anime original content of Rin and Shirou giving googly eyes to each other in the future. I also liked the implication (now that I understand it) that
Shirou didn't become Archer, Archer saying he wasn't wrong, and Shirou deciding to pursue another path. This Shirou will likely eventually return to Rin

But yes besides that if I ever want to see the fight scenes I can just look into youtube for AMVs. Bonus points if the background song is "In the End" or "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor"

No need to watch the anime as I already played the VN

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
UBW END

Literally nothing of important note happened.Characters never truly grew and developed over the course of the series. We still get the establishment that Shirou will still be a blind idiot running to his regret filled future. Rin is going to follow Shirou because she can't resist his dick. And then we find out that Archer still gets fucked in the end.

nothing happened. Fuck this show. Fuck you

He doesn't. That isn't necessarily supposed to show that he turned into Archer lol. That's just Archer himself getting a final dialogue. In fact, the Word of God is that Shirou doesn't become Archer in any of the canon true endings.

He doesn't. That isn't necessarily supposed to show that he turned into Archer lol. That's just Archer himself getting a final dialogue. In fact, the Word of God is that Shirou doesn't become Archer in any of the canon true endings.

Apparently Nasu has a blog. This is what he says happens

Desert scene
After the end credits. A desert scene, same as the opening.
Shirou walks alone. His strength falters and he stops walking.
Shirou looks down to shield his eyes from the sandstorm, and sees traces of someone else having been there (the place where Archer stopped).
Shirou breathes out and looks up. There's fake endurance in his expression, but it's full of hope.
Shirou walks away with a steady gait.
The camera lingers on the traces of Archer's presence, and watches Shirou leave as the shot ends.
(If you want to make it easier to understand, after Shirou leaves, you can add Archer appearing in that spot and watching Shirou off... but I think you shouldn't.)

tl;dr

"Jesus I see four footprints in the sand"

I liked the anime original content of Rin and Shirou giving googly eyes to each other in the future. I also liked the implication (now that I understand it) that
Shirou didn't become Archer, Archer saying he wasn't wrong, and Shirou deciding to pursue another path. This Shirou will likely eventually return to Rin

But yes besides that if I ever want to see the fight scenes I can just look into youtube for AMVs. Bonus points if the background song is "In the End" or "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor"

No need to watch the anime as I already played the VN

I haven't even read the VN. I know the story vicariously through its fans because they don't know how to shut up.

Tuck

plastic memories - END
Somebody hold me.

nah it wasn't too sad, we've known it was coming for weeks after all.

The show kind of dropped its original premise and just became a straight love story. Not the type of anime I usually watch and required me to suspend my disbeleif quite a bit, but overall an enjoyable show with a decent amount of heart.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

I know that's Archer talking in the end, not Shirou. At the same time though, the entire show was dedicated to the point that Shirou will pursue being a Hero of Justice regardless of the obstacles. The last episode solidifies this and shows that Archer will still be the ideal that Shirou reaches. The only difference is that Shirou won't want to kill himself and refuse the idea of wanting to become the hero of justice because of betrayals and shit. Shirou essentially becomes Archer regardless of whatever happens.

Arabesque

Seeing Shirou by himself at the end becoming his ideal but alone is sad in a way as it implies that Shirou left Rin in order to fulfill his dreams while Rin stayed in the Clocktower.

The way I interpreted that finale scene was more of Shirou doing his best to realise his dream while Rin was being tied in the Clocktower, but they are still together, just not all the time. The final bit is meant to be a a metaphorical way of showing the Shirou who came out of UBW having surpassed Archer in that he managed to gain more than he ever did.

At least that's how I read it.

tumblr_nqm7qfx8ys1qcsnnso2_540.gif

The constant add-one of Type-Moon in jokes in this show never made a lot of sense, but damn if they aren't fun to watch lol

However, it has made me realize that the source isn't as great as I remember it being when I read it as a teenager.

After watching Zero, I think this was the biggest hurdle for me as well, but after reading through the routes again I made my peace that the F/SN VN was just not all that great as I used to think. I still like it a lot, and the universe it spawned I like as well, but on the whole it was something that needed a lot of polish after the years it had came out. I still think going liberal would've ended up with a far stronger result than what we had, but what we ended up with regardless of my problems with was still enjoyable for Fate fans.

This ending didn't really give me any sense of satisfaction, it felt like it's meant to tie into the final path of a VN... and behold that's exactly what it is.

I honestly felt like the ending was the most the show try to detach itself from the VN and the other routes and be its own story, though it did sort of fall,flat due to the point you mentioned (lack of Sakura, assuming you had VN knowledge to fill in the gaps etc.). I still like it as a fan and I thought the new stuff left it on batter note than the VN, but the problem with the anime ran much deeper than the ending.

I still feel like Ufotable should have just called an audible and done an amalgam route combining elements of all 3 paths into once "sequel to F/Z" anime. I have no idea how such a thing would/could work but as it stands this series does not work as a "sequel to F/Z"

It might have been a better choice, yes ... but looking back, how many actually wanted that to happen at the time?

He was just upset they didn't give him a chance to plug his light novel series.

LN spoilers:
they should've had the King Arthur descendant who looks 100% like Saber show up just to fuck with everyone
then everyone would have to check his series

Fate/stay Night -Unlimited Blade Works- 25 [END]

I think I enjoyed this show more than most here. I liked the fact that they gave us a little more of what happens after episode 24 (as I would've felt cold about being left hanging). This was a good way to wind down the show and show the outcome of some characters.

Plastic Memories 13 [END]

Apparently I didn't brace myself hard enough because when they got on the
Farris wheel I freakin' lost it. Even that line of "I hope you can be reunited with the one you cherish." wreaked me. And when he brought her body off the Farris wheel and they were narrating her letters she had left just made that moment much more potent. I liked the approach of having the new partner walk in and having Tsukasa introducing himself and you know it was Isla because of the telling signs. That and the fact that it fits in line with the whole "I hope you can be reunited with the one you cherish."

Really good show. I am really pleased with it.

Razmos

Samurai Flamenco episode 16: WELL
f7ec97cf479bc5d00516ab642b7a010f.png

best character Moe gets the girl. Certainly wasn't expecting them to actually get it on, I thought Mari was just teasing.

The next kiss better be Hazama and Goto! *shakes fist*

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I know that's Archer talking in the end, not Shirou. At the same time though, the entire show was dedicated to the point that Shirou will pursue being a Hero of Justice regardless of the obstacles. The last episode solidifies this and shows that Archer will still be the ideal that Shirou reaches. The only difference is that Shirou won't want to kill himself and refuse the idea of wanting to become the hero of justice because of betrayals and shit. Shirou essentially becomes Archer regardless of whatever happens.

He does go off to fight in battles and such, but he doesn't become Archer because Rin teaches him the power of love or some shit. Basically.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
He does go off to fight in battles and such, but he doesn't become Archer because Rin teaches him the power of love or some shit. Basically.

He will still suffer. Still have a shitty life. Still have regrets. And still end up Archer. The only difference is that he has Rin I guess. He's still Archer in my eyes. They both lead shitty lives. One just happens to be less shitty.

Wait what? Really?! I was wondering about that character.

Did no one really not see this cameo coming? This was my most anticipated cameo if they ever showed post-war scenes.

Angry Grimace

Wait what? Really?! I was wondering about that character.

That was Waver Velvet from F/Z.

tumblr_nqm7qfx8ys1qcsnnso2_540.gif

I keep expecting this GIF to stop at the end with the legend SUPLEX CITY BITCH

He will still suffer. Still have a shitty life. Still have regrets. And still end up Archer. The only difference is that he has Rin I guess. He's still Archer in my eyes. They both lead shitty lives. One just happens to be less shitty.

I mean.....well yeah, Shirou is a dumbass. He's gonna run off to fight in dumb battles. I suppose its true the only real difference is that he's also married to a hot girl. I'm not sure what the moral of that story is.

Shokugeki no Soma 13

I should've watched this after UBW, SNAFU and Plastic Memories. It will be interesting to see how Soma gets out of the rut he's in.

Nisekoi S2 13 [END]

Ending the season on the worst girl, huh? Season 1 was pretty entertaining but I felt this season fell pretty flat. There were a few episodes that were the exception but all in all nothing of significance came from this season. They should just have a season 3 and wrap it all up with an anime original ending so we can put this to rest.

Sorry if I seem down on it right now. I just hate they ended the season like this. Like what the hell...

RomCom SNAFU Too! 13 [END]

I swear to God there better be a movie or an OVA or another season to wrap this all up. I love this show entirely too much and for it to end on the biggest cliffhanger they possibly can do was mean. I need this to wrap up. Don't pull a Spice & Wolf. Please.

Rainy

Banned
Plastic Memories 13

I got super choked up at the Ferris Wheel scene god dammit. I kinda wanted to see who his new partner was but I knew they wouldn't show it. Nice new hair Michiru.

All in all, an enjoyable show. Watching SNAFU last night and this in the morning was a hard back to back to swallow.

You would like to think that wouldn't you.

*shrugs*

Noragami doesn't have a major plot. It's episodic as shit, similar to Gintama in that sense where any over-arching plot deals with his past, and that is usually sprinkled throughout. The anime original content was a nice end-game for S1, they could do the same with S2. Give me the cool soundtrack, some character development, nice comedy and sweet battles and I'll call it a victory.

Clannad, Kanon, and Air are all pretty much of the same ilk, however, Clannad hit MUCH MUCH harder and goes much deeper into the main's lives and has great arcs for everyone else in the first season. You only really need to marathon ep. 15- END of teh After Story, because right after that, you can't stop; I really don;t know how people stayed together when this aired on a weekly basis..... It's amazing and truly impactful and the "romance" isn't the only thign about it. The story is more about Love in general. Love for family, friends and how to deal with life. Amazing... Man, I really can't say enough good things about it.

You're Lie in April is a little different and not as dramatic overall, but is a great story and has some very impactfull moments. Angel Beats is also pretty dramatic, but is excellant and the ending is incredible. Same for Little Busters; it takes you through a story with lots of ups and downs, messes with your head towards the end, but delivers at the end.

Can we be... Like best friends? Because the fact that you love all these shows makes me incredibly happy!!

Besides that; there is another anime that touched me in many more ways than SAO could even imagine to.. SAO was just my first and I connected to it in a way I wasn't expecting to at all so there will always be that. With that being said, there is another anime that is actually on top of my own MAL profile as my #1 and there is no way it could ever be topped.

tumblr_mydu6slBi31sbfe6eo5_r2_400.gif

tumblr_inline_nhr6uuo8qI1qkol2d.gif

I can't even post gifs of my favorite parts of it because of spoilers and all of that, but based on my life where I was, what I went through and what I see everyday, this anime translates best to my real world emotions. Once you hit episode 16 until the end, the story is a whirlwind of emotions some good some bad, some overbearing at times, but those emotional reactions to what I was whitnessign cannto be replaced and I honestly wouldn't want them to be.

Agreed wholeheartedly. Clannad is my favorite anime of all time because of how I personally connected with it. It spoke to me.

You are now officially one of my favorite posters on this forum. :D

phaze

It's sentences like this that make me wonder if you guys are even paying attention to the story.

First shirou did indeed save the day , but that was because of conditions ( several ones ) and with help.
Second , he did it because it was natural to him , not to get some change in his life.
Third , all humans ( normal humans ) were sent to the hospital by cater mana stealing scheme, they don't even know about what happenned
Fourth , if you're talking about clocktower , shirou is one guy out of many and incidents like this are not exceptionnal , quite the contrary...and he did get the attention of some people...to the point that he even got a way to join the mage association.

Saying to watch a show only for the fights is silly ..this franchise got popular because of the characters and the story first ..i really have to wonder if you guys even want to understand things before watching a show.

sorry , rant off

lol Admittedly my point was exaggerated but with his combat skills, even before his power up rolled in, he should be smoking these students left and right in any exercise of combat prowess.

Thoraxes

Plastic Memories - 13 END

That was really nice and really well done. I didn't know if they'd get super dramatic or do anything crazy, but it was just nice, simple, and beautiful up till the end. I got misty and all choked up at
the Ferris wheel scene.
Overall I'm super glad I watched this show. Tsukasa's growth was handled really well, and when
he lost it at the end
it got me so fucking good.

Beautiful and elegant. I'd really love to see another season of Terminal service doing their thing because I enjoyed this one a lot.

I like the end of UBW and would watch a series based around Clocktower. No grail and no servants. That's suplex was great.

Plastic Memories.

I can't even go on with the rest of my day after that. I just can't.

Thoraxes

*shrugs*

Noragami doesn't have a major plot. It's episodic as shit, similar to Gintama in that sense where any over-arching plot deals with his past, and that is usually sprinkled throughout. The anime original content was a nice end-game for S1, they could do the same with S2. Give me the cool soundtrack, some character development, nice comedy and sweet battles and I'll call it a victory.
Assuming Taku Iwasaki will return for S2, between that and Gatchaman CROWDS S2 he's pretty busy this year.

Mandelbo

Plastic Memories 13 -END-

That was a damn good ending. There was a lump in my throat in the
ferris wheel scene
;-;

I'm so glad they didn't
have a copout ending - the show achieved its purpose in making me care for Isla and it did hit hard when she died, along with her final words to everyone, but if she had been saved by some deus ex machina I would have felt completely betrayed, so it's good that they didn't throw away all their hard work. Sure, you may say it's predictable and I completely understand where you're coming from, but in this case isn't about the destination, it's about the journey. The show outright tells you the conclusion before the halfway point - it didn't need any massive twists to throw the viewer off, that wasn't the point. In that sense it's a little similar to Grave of the Fireflies, which also tells you the ending within the opening minutes of the film but still manages to be utterly effective.

The whole series is permeated with the themes of loss, its inevitability and the ways people cope with it. That is, after all, the whole point of the Terminal Service - it allows us to see loss from an outsider's perspective, and then in the latter half of the show the Terminal Service takes a backseat, which allows us to see loss from the perspective of Tsukasa, who has to deal with it. I don't think I would have enjoyed the show nearly as much had it focused purely on the Terminal Service and the Giftia's role in society. This is also part of the reason I think that the Wanderers were the weakest element of the show. While they still play into the theme of loss, that being the loss of their inhibition and humanity, the plot thread doesn't really go anywhere and it feels somewhat out of place, especially in the later sections. I'm not entirely sure what I'd rather have had happen, since the Wanderers justify the existence of the Terminal Service, but something so inherently violent and chaotic doesn't seem quite right in a show that's this melancholy and, comparatively, subdued.

I really enjoyed the use of music throughout the show. Perhaps my favourite instance of this was the amusement park montage in episode 7, with the happiness of the characters juxtaposed against the sorrowful music (which almost reminded me of NieR, in a way.) While parts of the soundtrack were a little forgettable, that song in particular stuck out to me as astounding in setting the tone - I really want sheet music of it!
The final episode wasn't as abjectly depressing as I was expecting it to be, so unfortunately my prediction of the manager being an insensitive clot and ordering a
dead girl
to do chores for him didn't come true. But perhaps it's better this way. Overall a fantastic show that, to me, wrapped everything up brilliantly with only a few sore spots across the board.

Some of the dialogue was a little cheesy though.

Baalzebup

Interesting. Could you elaborate?

Reality Marbles are stupidly high tier magic that are quite different from the usual magecraft used by type-moon magi in general, including among other things, being essentially impossible to inherit, and the whole family lineage stuff is serious business in the world of the magi. The whole of it is quite exhausting info dump. Wander over to Type-Moon wiki and search for Reality Marble.

I didn't notice that. Guess I'll have to see it again to make sure

I was wrong. Regardless the ending isn't as bad as I thought at first

It's Acher talking before disappearing, and Shirou walking away from him in the desert, forming his own path. He'll probs eventually head back to Rin he's soul/hero searching

Blood Blockade Battlefront 3-4 Dub

This show is weird

Like... almost too weird

I feel like this show wants to be both a bebop esque vignette show following the random adventures of Libra in Hellsalem's Lot, and the other half of the time it's trying to build this over arching narrative. This leads us to have an episode entirely about a dude playing a 99 hour chess game to get information and the next episode having nothing to do with that plot thread. The truly random scenes with ghost girl and her brother continue to feel extremely out of place like they were shoved in randomly later to pad out episodes.

Phatmac

Lol you guys are way too harsh on UBW but whatever. I'm tired of defending it on MAL so I'll just let it slide on here. I'm glad it's over since people don't have to complain about FSN until Heaven's Feel.

Angry Grimace

Interesting. Could you elaborate?

Basically Reality Marbles are insanely rare, powerful magic that cannot be inherited the way most magic is. Most "magic" in Type/moon shit isn't even considered to be real "magic." There's a theory behind most of it that can be replicated, but that isn't true for something like a Reality Marble, which the Clock Tower considers to be closer to being actual "magic." Its dumb, but basically since most magic in the series is something that can be researched, explained and copied and has a finite limit to how powerful it can be, its not a "sorcery" or "mystery."

The only actual "magic" that occurs in any of these routes is "Heaven's Feel." (Heaven's Feel route spoilers)
Shirou's weirdness gets worse in the third route since he still has Unlimited Blade Works AND he's a living example of Heaven's Feel.

Lol you guys are way too harsh on UBW but whatever. I'm tired of defending it on MAL so I'll just let it slide on here. I'm glad it's over since people don't have to complain about FSN until Heaven's Feel.

Dude, there's no point in concerning yourself with people who complain about things you like or worse, complain about the fact that you like certain things. Its just dumb trolling, ignore it.

Phatmac

Basically Reality Marbles are insanely rare, powerful magic that cannot be inherited the way most magic is. Most "magic" in Type/moon shit isn't even considered to be real "magic." There's a theory behind most of it that can be replicated, but that isn't true for something like a Reality Marble, which the Clock Tower considers to be closer to being actual "magic." Its dumb, but basically since most magic in the series is something that can be researched, explained and copied and has a finite limit to how powerful it can be, its not a "sorcery" or "mystery."

The only actual "magic" that occurs in any of these routes is "Heaven's Feel." (Heaven's Feel route spoilers)
Shirou's weirdness gets worse in the third route since he still has Unlimited Blade Works AND he's a living example of Heaven's Feel.

Dude, there's no point in concerning yourself with people who complain about things you like or worse, complain about the fact that you like certain things. Its just dumb trolling, ignore it.
People just can't except that UBW was never meant to be a sequel to FZ since the entire VN serves as a complete story sequel to FZ. It still shouldn't be compared heavily since UBW was always meant to be a direct adaptation to the novel with some extra scenes to make it better. The problem with UBW is that the source material can't make every character feel important since other routes are meant to expand on some characters and battles. Ufotable did their best in adapting UBW so that's all I'll take the show as instead of trying to force it to be something it never was meant to be. /rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom