• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

The Tatami Galaxy 6
006019s4ss9.png
006034pnsuk.png
0060458dszi.png
0060761vslb.png

What a hilarious and trippy episode. I lost it at Johnny's appearance. You tried man, you tried but it was a lost case. RIP in peace.
0k4tkrdkvap6.png

I thought I was reading too much into things but I swear, no one in this show ever calls the protagonist with his own name. Which I probably came to know when looking at the voice actor playing him not from the show itself. With this name being
"Watashi"
I wonder if this somehow plays into the message of the story. Maybe they'll just completely shatter the 4th wall.
ypebegwf6l1q.gif

I miss Hunter x Hunter. A lot. The anime and the manga. So instead of watching the '99 series I decided to do this instead. Togashi made me do this.

Hunter x Hunter The Movie - Phantom Rouge

Phantom Rouge is the first kind-of almost canon movie for Hunter x Hunter. I say it's kind of canon because this was a scrapped story arc and the scenes with Kurapika and Pairo's backstory are in the manga, technically as a side story for the movie itself, but in the manga nonetheless. So think of it kind of like the Hell Movie for Bleach or Film Z/Strong World for One Piece. I think Film Z is the better example here, as the events surrounding the movie and the characters in it are canon, but the way that it was resolved, Luffy beating Z or Gon and Friends beating Omakage is not. But I would actually say Film Z is a good movie. This, however, I'm not content with.

The movie opens with a scene about Killua in his days as an Assassin doing a job with Illumi watching him. After that some kids kick a soccer ball to Killua and ask them to pass it back. Illumi shows up and tells Killua friends are stupid then murders the kids, confirming Hunter x Hunter is a series about child violence. This scene has pretty much nothing to do with the main plot, and is only there so it makes it less confusing when Killua acts counter to his character, like acting like a dick to Gon and Retz. Seriously what was up with that scene? I don't remember Killua ever acting like that. There's also the scene of Killua and Gon fighting Uvogin, who is far stronger then both of them. Killua gets discouraged by mental images of Illumi - and correct me if I'm wrong here - I don't really remember him having huge issues with, especially since this takes place after Yorknew and the needles have been removed. Sure, I could buy Killua would retreat from an enemy too strong for him, but he wouldn't get the shivers and stare, doing nothing. I really wonder who the main character of this is supposed to be, Killua or Kurapika? You would think Kurapika since this is a movie about the Phantom Troupe, but Killua seems to get the most attention, to the point where there is a scene where Killua and Gon meet a puppet version of Illumi, who Killua seems scared shitless of. Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think by this point Killua was over his fear of Illumi, and I rather doubt Illumi would ever encourage Killua to take rather cowardly actions, coming from the prestigious assassin family.

And yes, I did just say "fighting Uvogin" and "after Yorknew" in the same paragraph. This is because Uvogin was revived by the bad guy, and Pakunoda as well (who gets one shot by Nobunaga in about 5 second so I dunno why she was even there) in a kind of Naruto Edo Tensei way, which I have major hangups on. I did not like how that stuff was handled, at all. The main plot is about the #4 member of the Spiders who Hisoka replaced years prior. You would think with a movie largely about the Phantom Troupe, Kurapika would obviously play a large part. But he doesn't, he sits in a hospital bed because the main villain stole his eyes for the majority of the movie.

Omakage, the main villain of the movie is a pretty weak one. He has the ability to make puppets, with confusing at best explanations on how. Maybe I missed something but there seemed to be little rhyme or reason to how the puppets work or are created, odd in a serious such as HxH that usually goes to ridiculous lengths to lay down the rules. He can make puppets of dead people like Uvogin and Pakunoda, but also make puppets of Illumi or Pairo, who I'm not sure he even met. The puppets vary wildly in strength, with Uvogin being about as strong as he was in the series, and Chrollo and Feitan being weak enough that Hisoka easily defeats them by himself, which is laughable considering Feitan and Chrollo are two of the strongest Troupe members. So Omakage makes puppets of half the Spiders (for some reason only half) + Chrollo. And they have their full Nen powers, which he can absorb and use on his own. That ability on it's own is some bullshit. Chrollo has a similar ability, but it is superbly complicated to activate, which is typical of stronger conjuring Nen abilities. Omakage seems to be able to do whatever he wants. Imagine if he was able to gain the Nen abilities of Netero, or above all, of Mereum. It kinda destroys the balance.

Omakage is not interesting and his motives are nil. At most you can gather that he was in the Troupe to make his puppets and that was all. How he actually does that is again, rather poorly explained. They try to substitute his lack of character by linking him with the Phantom Troupe, great villains that the audience is already familiar with but it just comes off as lame seeing him using Franklin's Nen ability.

The ending also bothers me on a continuity level. The four leave on good terms, but we know later on that Kurapika becomes obsessed with revenge to the point he ignores Leorio's calls about Gon being in critical condition in the hospital because it has nothing to do with the Phantom Troupe. Also during the ending song, it shows Bique, Kite and Ging...despite them having nothing to do with the movie. There's also the fact that the entire Phantom Troupe shows up to kill Omakage, sees Hisoka and Kurapika and just walk off again after about two minutes, which bothered me immensely. Look, I can understand why they would not kill Kurapika because of the Nen needle on Chrollo's heart, but Kurapika kind of just takes it and watches them leave. But Hisoka, I dunno why they would let him go. It comes off as the Spiders going "WE'LL GET YOU NEXT TIME, CHAIN USER! AND YOUR LITTLE CLOWN FRIEND TOO" and I question why the scene was even there to begin with. Oh wait, I know the answer - to connect it to the Troupe again because Omokage is a weak villain.

As for how the movie looks, it honestly looks about as good as the TV series, which isn't really a slight since the TV series was consistently a good looking show. There is some rather bad CGI spliced into the movie, used sparingly.

Even as a huge HxH fan I wouldn't go as far as to say Phantom Rouge was a bad movie, but I don't really think it's worth watching. Pretty messy, unclear who the focus is supposed to be on, Killua or Kurapika, lame villain who is an insult to the group he is hailing from...hopefully Last Mission is better.

Also I thought it was Phantom Rogue the whole time and not Phantom Rouge before I actually watched it.

Jex

The amount of hate F/SN gets here is funny. Not sure if people just hate the entire series, or loved F/Z and were disappointed by F/SN, that fanservice Illya spinoff, or UBW TV.

The series is similar to the Index/Railgun series to me. Silly, but interesting and expansive lore, with fun characters and occasionally well animated. Eventually boils down to teenagers with superpowers. Both series has a more serious and well made arc in their stories that attract more people (Fate/Zero, Railgun's Sisters Arc), but said people end up being disappointed in the rest of the series once those arcs are done. Not for everyone I suppose.

Sometimes, they even share the same key animator...

Well since SNAFU once again ended on a cliffhanger... decided to check out some other romcoms on crunchyroll, so I binged Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou/Kawai Complex.

Have to say it was fairly enjoyable, though the show focuses more on slice of life rather than the romance. Either way having the VA for Akane from Psycho-Pass being the main female protag in here was a major plus and main appeal for me in finishing this show.

The amount of hate F/SN gets here is funny. Not sure if people just hate the entire series, or loved F/Z and were disappointed by F/SN, that fanservice Illya spinoff, or UBW TV.

The series is similar to the Index/Railgun series to me. Silly, but interesting and expansive lore, with fun characters and occasionally well animated. Eventually boils down to teenagers with superpowers. Both series has a more serious and well made arc in their stories that attract more people (Fate/Zero, Railgun's Sisters Arc), but said people end up being disappointed in the rest of the series once those arcs are done. Not for everyone I suppose.

F/SN is just plain boring compared to F/Z and that's not the fault of ufotable, its the source material.

Arcadius

Banned
Fuujin Monogatari (Windy Tales)

So I watched this one because of a review someone in the OT thread wrote about and had some screen shots of the art style (really sorry, I forget who you are).

Having just finished Windy Tales, I have no idea.... what I just watched. A slice of life about 2 girls who learn to manipulate wind. Miki and Nao are best friends who are apart of the Digital Photography Club. Nao loves to take pictures of the sky or rather, the clouds and the wind. Through this Nao and Miki discover a girl who can manipulate wind, Ryouko; she tells Nao how she too, can learn this ability. Flying cats are involved too and they really set the story in motion.

The story, if there is one, is either too deep or metaphorical for me to understand, unfortunately I'm not so good at picking things apart and trying to understand deeper meanings of a show, so to me, Windy Tales was a very nice, slow slice of life anime.

I really liked the art style, it's what drew me to watch Windy Tales in the first place. Instead of have the clouds and sky and wind be extra stylized, the entire anime is stylized and man, it's incredible. There are probably hundreds of ways one could draw a world to symbolize things like the wind and the clouds, I feel like Windy Tales did a fantastic job showing us a really unique and special outlook on a world where the wind is more than an unseen force. I absolutely enjoyed seeing the wind visualized and when it's being manipulated, I love the multi colored lines to show that it was being manipulated.

Music and all things related to audio in Windy Tales is phenomenal, there are so many good piano arrangements and really good pieces of music being played. There are certain songs that use drums and it really hits you while watching the crazy art and story unfold. The OP is absolutely amazing I feel like it's slow pace and relaxing melody portrays and conveys Windy Tales incredible well. The ED used is okay, it's more upbeat and cheerful inspiring a lot of fun, but that's not bad, since the show is very very fun.

I enjoyed all the little stories told in each episode, making Windy Tales for the most part, very episodic and slow. There is very little drama, very little to get upset about and a lot to enjoy. I also kept finding myself really enjoying how the characters were drawn. The accentuated and exaggerated art style is truly remarkable and I'd like to watch more anime that do things so boldly and different.

phaze

Why must anime adaptations be so weird?

I'll may do that after I finish Brotherhood, as I've heard that one's closer to its manga.

I like to watch my shows from beginning to end, not in a disjointed fashion where I should watch 20 episodes of one version then jump right into episode 30 to its other version!

I might change my mind somewhere down the line if these first few episodes of Brotherhood don't exactly please me, but we'll see.

Thanks for the advice nonetheless though!

The worst thing that even if you watch the 2003 version first, you probably should still watch Brotherhood from the beginning as the 2003 version started introducing small changes quite early into the story to pave way for the later big departure into anime-original land. :p

The early rush probably won't seem that bad to you but certain arcs and events are just not executed that well. Do enjoy it, goat shounen regardless of the version.

See you SNAFU cowboy

*salutes*

Plastic Memories 13

I was choked up the entire episode, even at the
ferris wheel
I held back pretty well. That is, until this very scene which I will put as a link for those who haven't watched yet:
D':
My heart hurt so much when this came up. Man what a touching show. Even the ending,
how he's probably partnered up with a different Isla
made me choke again. This show was a nice surprise, a sad one, but very touching. We shouldn't take our lives for granted and make as many memories as we can to not regret it when the time comes.

One final shot for everyone to see:

Mandelbo

Plastic Memories 13

I was choked up the entire episode, even at the
ferris wheel
I held back pretty well. That is, until this very scene which I will put as a link for those who haven't watched yet:
D':
My heart hurt so much when this came up. Man what a touching show. Even the ending,
how he's probably partnered up with a different Isla
made me choke again. This show was a nice surprise, a sad one, but very touching. We shouldn't take our lives for granted and make as many memories as we can to not regret it when the time comes.

One final shot for everyone to see:

It's so good. Such a satisfying ending.

Couldn't find a proper, full length version of the song with the lyrics, but Again and Again might be one of my favourite anime songs in recent memory. It just amplifies the emotions so well - elegant and melancholy.

cajunator

Banned
Rin looks nice, but I bet Saber would have looked better.

Rin doesnt look like Rin! 0/10
*flips the table

There's a "Yahello!" compilation from both seasons of SNAFU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByaLoLE3Or8

Yui ;_____; AHHHH I miss this show already

Hnnnnngh. I love Yui already. So far she's my favorite (3 episodes in)

Nanoha vivid - 12

Damn what a tease for the next season..

So they cut the tournament arc in 2 !! DAMn i want to punch something ..there are still plenty of fights left to be animated.
Damn that kid went " mangekyo sharigan " on that nobody ... rofl , that was glorious...Hopefully they will show that fight next season.

Where my next season dammit ???

How much more material is there for Nanoha that can be adapted? Also I hope this rekindled interest in the older series and maybe it can get a rerelease.

If KyoAni doesn't want to make my Harry Potter anime, maybe Ufotable will. Like an anime about government agency mages chasing down death eaters and PEW PEW PEW magical fights, also you could have a side story about like the lead's kid in school.

To make it award winning, make the lead an alcoholic womanizing divorced detective with a strained relationship with his kid. HBO presents: An Ufotable production

Watch Tweeny Witches. You very well might enjoy it!

UBW 25

Is it bad that I would totally be down for a Fate series around Rin and Shirou at the Clock Tower? Going to those classes, interacting with other mages, dealing with baddies, etc? I'm not the only one right, or did everyone just hate the episode?

Phatmac

I don't think VN lends itself to be a good source to be adapted into some TV form anyway unless there is a definitive True Route that covers all if not most of the characters. It's just how different entertainment mediums work.

Having said that, UBW is a vastly inferior product that fails on a direction level. There's no good pacing or a sense of accomplish between episodes. Even taking F/Z out of the equation the UBW adaption isn't good. Certain parts drag on for a long time and certain parts are just glossed over rather letting it simmer to be something truly enticing. What you have then is a mish mash of various stuff that is going on just for the sake of it going on rather than having something meaningful.

If you want to really put UBW next to F/Z then UBW is ultimately a failure. The source was adapted in a very faithful manner to its own doom pretty much. Pacing for the first half of the show is absolute trash and the second half just feels extremely rushed with parts that drag on for forever. Additionally, rather than focus on the entire cast they only focus on Shirou, Rin, Archer and Saber. Since this is the case, we should get a really granular look at these characters with a mix of static and dynamic characters. Not only that but some foils. But that's not what we get. These people don't undergo any truly meaningful change throughout the entirety of the show and it just feels like a show where stuff happened around the characters. You have a problem with both the character and the events occurring around the characters are a complete mess.
You nailed it. It's tough for me to complain about fate in general since the VN gives every character ample time to explore and evolve their character. UBW was cursed to not be as good as FZ since FZ is a traditional story that wasn't adapted from a VN. I love the universe of fate but I agree with the pacing issues. The early season meanders with school life which is okay but it takes awhile for the story to continue towards action. The Archer/Shirou fight is good dialogue wise but they spent too much time repeating thenselves instead of just fighting. The post battle scene is hilarious in how little tension there is as Archer goes to fuck off instead of treating the resolution as something grand Not enough of the cast is given enough time to develop like Kotomine and Illya. Sakura is sadly an afterthought for HF which sucks for FZ fans who want a resolution on her story. Taken by itself UBW is a solid adaptation but it unfortunately had high expectations from FZ and viewers who don't know the problem with adapting suck a daunting task of the big fate VN. I'd give it an 8/10 since the animation and action is leagues above any anime.

fertygo

The worst thing about UBW is that they botched the climax with the Archer fight. No reason we should be cutting away to Rin or splitting the first part of the fight from the second.

Wish its can be as compact as eps 24, but whatever eps 24 is too good so I forgive them, best episode in fate anything

Phatmac

UBW 25

Is it bad that I would totally be down for a Fate series around Rin and Shirou at the Clock Tower? Going to those classes, interacting with other mages, dealing with baddies, etc? I'm not the only one right, or did everyone just hate the episode?
You're not the only one. UBW remains my favorite route as the end is satisfying when compared to the rest of the routes. I'd love some Shirou and Rin adventures and I'm sure there's a good fanfic about it by now.

PK Gaming

The Tatami Galaxy 6

What a hilarious and trippy episode. I lost it at Johnny's appearance. You tried man, you tried but it was a lost case. RIP in peace.
0k4tkrdkvap6.png

I thought I was reading too much into things but I swear, no one in this show ever calls the protagonist with his own name. Which I probably came to know when looking at the voice actor playing him not from the show itself. With this name being
"Watashi"
I wonder if this somehow plays into the message of the story. Maybe they'll just completely shatter the 4th wall.
ypebegwf6l1q.gif

I always love it when people go through Tatami Galaxy for the first time post images on top of their impressions.

Keep em coming!

FSN UBW 25 END

Garbage. I still can't believe this was Ufotable's follow up to Fate Zero. How do you go from that to this?

You can't believe Ufotable was faithful with the source material making an on point adaptation of it?

Also the epilogue was beautiful and perfect. It felt like a love letter to both UBW and FZ.

And lol at people saying the characters had not development. Rin growth, for instance, was pretty obvious and well done.

You're not the only one. UBW remains my favorite route as the end is satisfying when compared to the rest of the routes. I'd love some Shirou and Rin adventures and I'm sure there's a good fanfic about it by now.

I loved it as well, Ufotable did a splendid job adapting the series. Some hate it others love it, I'm on the loving side. Those blaming Ufotable for the plot forget that Type-Moon was who created this in the first place. All Ufotable did was animate it, and that they did an amazing job with. Their work is truly unparalleled. I really can't wait to see God Eater, not just because I love the series but because they are replicating the look and heavy shadowing from the games on to the show itself.

fertygo

I loved it as well, Ufotable did a splendid job adapting the series. Some hate it others love it, I'm on the loving side. Those blaming Ufotable for the plot forget that Type-Moon was who created this in the first place. All Ufotable did was animate it, and that they did an amazing job with. Their work is truly unparalleled. I really can't wait to see God Eater, not just because I love the series but because they are replicating the look and heavy shadowing from the games on to the show itself.

Too bad God Eater animu already give bad sign with production issue over frigging eps 1 ::(

It's so weird, because I usually jump and scream for faithful adaptations of the source material, but in F/SN's case I'd have been okay with a "true route" version instead of what we got. Either that or do three 26 episode seasons one adapting the Fate route, one adapting the UBW route, and one adapting the Heaven's Feel route.

Obviously the worst part of F/SN as someone who's more a casual fan that loved F/Z is that the Fate universe feels like it should be an ensemble story where we have multiple perspectives on the war where even our main protagonist isn't the clear cut good guy. Going from F/Z which is an ensemble story to F/SN which is a self insert gary stu story is really what hurts it. IMO Shirou works better as a protagonist in the first half of the show when he is sucked into the Holy Grail war and is truly in over his head trying to learn all this complex stuff where he acts more like an audience proxy then a self insert. Once Shirou goes from "oh I can barely do magic" and "I have no idea what's going on" to out of nowhere bad ass is when UBW starts to lose me. In it's defense the show has a decent foundation for this to happen with Archer being future Shirou the problem is the show flickers to sparactically between Shirou being audience proxy in over his head and Shirou being gary stu bad ass.

I think frustrating is really the word I'd use to describe F/SN UBW, I can see the potential for something truly amazing here both in the original story and in the adaptation by Ufotable. Instead we got a show that was very good but could have been something truly amazing like F/Z and I think that's what has lead to the show getting more heat then it deserves.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
aunt tits readers don't pretend its high art with good writing and get mad when peeps point out its trashy nonsense, thanks for yet another white noise post

they still read aunt tits

fertygo

Is it? Adaptations are usually for boosting manga sales and it seems like the manga sales are pretty high.

What I reading the boost for manga isn't so significant like Haikyuu or AssC, would like for confirmation tho.

BD sales also straight up stunk, *sigh* one time I'm rooting for echii animu, its not doing too hot

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Aunt Tits is dumb and kinda bad but no one really acts like it isn't

I liked it catching up on it but now it's just slow shit and not even stupid shit

All I'm saying is people who are talking about UBW aren't actually...doing anything other than talking about it in the appropriate thread. You're opening yourself up to shit if you complain about people talking about it. All I'm saying is if I think FSN is good dumb fun I don't need anyone's two cents that I'm dumb for doing so any more than anyone needs me bitching about them reading/watching To Love Ru Darkness, which I might add a fuckload of you in fact do.

FSN always seemed like a joke people would laugh at before UBW. I dunno if they were actually laughing at the bad DEEN adaptation or the VN itself but nothing I saw of the first 7/8 episode of UBW made me think otherwise from that.

TLR is probably better written then UBW from what I watched tbh

I don't care about VN's to begin with though and I don't particularly hate FSN or particularly love TLR

fertygo

TYPE-MOON fanbase is very self aware actually if you reading their conservation, but of course they gonna stand up about thing they had bias, its not even exclusive to them.. you can see similar thing going here at Persona or modern Fire Emblem topic when outsider stirring around there animu and waifuness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom