• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
People just can't except that UBW was never meant to be a sequel to FZ since the entire VN serves as a complete story sequel to FZ. It still shouldn't be compared heavily since UBW was always meant to be a direct adaptation to the novel with some extra scenes to make it better. The problem with UBW is that the source material can't make every character feel important since other routes are meant to expand on some characters and battles. Ufotable did their best in adapting UBW so that's all I'll take the show as instead of trying to force it to be something it never was meant to be. /rant

I don't think UBW is underrated, really. I think F/Z is heavily overrated.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nisekoi S2 END

Why was the entire intro Haru when Haru was in 3 episodes or something?

Also, the intro/OP music in this season has to be the most annoying shit I've heard.

phaze

The Tatami Galaxy 3-5
005923p4xh2.png
00592565xqx.png
00593465la0.png
0059612paf4.png

0059927uzj3.png
00600078ldg.png
006005akxf1.png
006016jml4m.png
The execution remains impeccable but some of the repetition begins to grate me. Fortunately episode 5 mixed up things a bit. And made this puzzle even weirder and harder to crack.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I was thinking specifically about longform series. What's the yuri mangaka one?

Also not too much translated, though seems like Yen/Seven Seas are picking up the pace
Akiko Morishima's YurixYuri Observation Diary.
Once you get into the realm of scanlation though, the sky's the limit. lol

so, gatchaman crowds is pretty good. hope i finish it in time to follow s2!
Make sure you watch the Director's Cut ending after you finish it
But you don't need to!
(I think it's fairly evident what happens without that exposition anyway)

Pooya

I don't think UBW is underrated, really. I think F/Z is heavily overrated.

Decent characters and writing can elevate a work that much! production values might be higher in UBW but that only takes you that far. UBW was decent at some points, I liked Caster episodes, they were better than VN but rest of it was garbage, there are not that many fighting scenes to make it a worthwhile action series either, what's there looks great but there is way too much talking horrible characters in between. So many bad boring episodes here.

F/Z oth, was far more enjoyable throughout even though it might not look as good, still looks better than 99 percent of TV anime. There are several characters, with their own arcs and interweaving with each other and you see the story from multiple view points. That alone makes it far more appealing than sticking with Rin and Shirou for almost all the time of show. F/Z is a lot more ambitious. It's not even up for debate!

FSN out the gate removes masters off screen from its own made up rule of seven masters/servants. Then a servant takes another one, this all just reduces complexity of a already simple set up. It would have been fine if what few characters there are were well developed but the writers don't have the talent here. F/Z wasn't perfect or anything and it did overlook characters like Berserker a bit but there is just such a stark difference in everything compared with UBW that it might really feel like it's overrated! :b it's FSN sucking too much.

The Tatami Galaxy 3-5

The execution remains impeccable but some of the repetition begins to grate me. Fortunately episode 5 mixed up things a bit. And made this puzzle even weirder and harder to crack.
Ah yes, the show that made me feel like I was tripping at times. Nice screens.

Hearing that Yui bombshell was just as good as when the leak of it was first revealed.

10/10 show adapted from a 10/10 light novel series.

Hopefully they make volume 10.5 into an OVA to satisfy my Yahari needs.

Because we won't be getting anything else for a looooong time

KzL2eZF.png

Man David Productions needs to adapt Part 4 of JoJo because it's so good. I don't know how some people will take it because it's sprinkled with sol shenanigans and it doesn't have the single entity trying to takeover the world aspect from earlier Parts. Though for me it feels fresh and from reading the manga it was so goddamn enjoyable, plus the Villain is really interesting and different from its predecessors.

I really want to see how David Productions will animate the Italian Restaurant arc. Seeing animated food would be great especially if it's Italian.

I really want to see how David Productions will animate the Italian Restaurant arc. Seeing animated food would be great especially if it's Italian.

Well they produced something named Ristorante Paradiso which I've never seen but it's about an Italian restaurant so at least they'll have experience.

Going through my old anime dvds randomly and never realized in Armatage the dude is voiced by Keifer Sutherland lol. And Armatage is Jessie from Saved by the Bell haha.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well they produced something named Ristorante Paradiso which I've never seen but it's about an Italian restaurant so at least they'll have experience.
Ristorante Paradiso is literally old men in glasses moe. The author wrote the manga based on a book she found of old men in glasses. lol

cajunator

Banned
Asuka's backstory is detailed in the third novel. It's quite fascinating, though I'd hope there'd be some way to fit in Aoi's backstory as well as I found her first meeting with Asuka to be incredibly entertaining/insightful for her character too.

Takeda did a cute thing. The first novel features Kumiko interacting with the first years (Reina, Hazuki, Sapphire). The second novel adds the second years (Natsuki, Yuko, Mizure (she's been in the background and none of you have paid attention to her in the anime! HA!), and Nozomi (one of the members who quit last year). The third novel adds focus on the third years (Asuka, Haruka & Kaori (to an extent), and Mamiko (Kumiko's sister and university 3rd year)). It's kinda humorous, but their stories all fit with the overarching plots of the band as a whole and the growth of Kumiko.

Yeah, Aniplex of America is silly with their restrictions from their parent company and their desire to make a profit on physical releases sold. It's not like they saw streaming numbers meant they'd take a loss on a Vividred BD.

ANN is usually either late or translates horribly. Using them as a resource is the biggest sign of laziness and ignorance to other places that post news (like in this thread where that JoJo information was posted earlier).

Whether they save money or not, this is 2015 and there is no excuse not to have a bluray version of everything. Its pure greed.

That's an amazing song by Secret Garden, every time I listen to it I tend to tear up.

Its a gorgeous song, but Dawn of the Century is my favorite. gives me chills every time.

Secret FUCKING garden?

It's god damn Josh Groban.

The man has the voice of an angel

Yes, Secret Garden, Mr Doggie
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Raise_Me_Up
A great celtic influenced band that I love quite dearly.

Deadly

Reality Marbles are stupidly high tier magic that are quite different from the usual magecraft used by type-moon magi in general, including among other things, being essentially impossible to inherit, and the whole family lineage stuff is serious business in the world of the magi. The whole of it is quite exhausting info dump. Wander over to Type-Moon wiki and search for Reality Marble.

Basically Reality Marbles are insanely rare, powerful magic that cannot be inherited the way most magic is. Most "magic" in Type/moon shit isn't even considered to be real "magic." There's a theory behind most of it that can be replicated, but that isn't true for something like a Reality Marble, which the Clock Tower considers to be closer to being actual "magic." Its dumb, but basically since most magic in the series is something that can be researched, explained and copied and has a finite limit to how powerful it can be, its not a "sorcery" or "mystery."

The only actual "magic" that occurs in any of these routes is "Heaven's Feel." (Heaven's Feel route spoilers)
Shirou's weirdness gets worse in the third route since he still has Unlimited Blade Works AND he's a living example of Heaven's Feel.
Hmm interesting interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 1-2

Okay, so according to MAL, this is the best anime of all time.

Silly website, that title belongs to [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] alone.

But getting back on topic, this is all right so far. While I don't think the work of enemy Alchemists will reach the creativity and cleverness of the work of enemy Stands, I'm sure I'll enjoy the show nonetheless.

Madhouse absolutely KILLED it on Hunter X Hunter. I completely lost faith in them until they did that adaptation. Hopefully they use the same talent on OnePunch Man.

Given that One Punch Man is using the director of Space Dandy, Shingo Natsume, and one of the main animators/animation directors of Space Dandy, Chikashi Kubota, it seems likely that it'll draw heavily from the roster of talent that worked on Space Dandy. Which bodes much better for the production than if they were using the same team that worked on Hunter X Hunter.

Man David Productions needs to adapt Part 4 of JoJo because it's so good. I don't know how some people will take it because it's sprinkled with sol shenanigans and it doesn't have the single entity trying to takeover the world aspect from earlier Parts. Though for me it feels fresh and from reading the manga it was so goddamn enjoyable, plus the Villain is really interesting and different from its predecessors.

All I want to see from Part 4 is more creative Stand powers, more crazy and hilarious situations arising because of them, and more quotable characters.

If Part 4 has all of those, I think I'll be okay with it.

phaze

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 1-2

Okay, so according to MAL, this is the best anime of all time.

Silly website, that title belongs to [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] alone.

But getting back on topic, this is all right so far. While I don't think the work of enemy Alchemists will reach the creativity and cleverness of the work of enemy Stands, I'm sure I'll enjoy the show nonetheless.

wut r u doing

----

But seriously, if you do have an option to watch the first FMA, go through like ~20 or so episodes of that version. Brotherhood rushes through the parts that the 2003 version already covered and butchers them in the process.

kewlmyc

The amount of hate F/SN gets here is funny. Not sure if people just hate the entire series, or loved F/Z and were disappointed by F/SN, that fanservice Illya spinoff, or UBW TV.

The series is similar to the Index/Railgun series to me. Silly, but interesting and expansive lore, with fun characters and occasionally well animated. Eventually boils down to teenagers with superpowers. Both series has a more serious and well made arc in their stories that attract more people (Fate/Zero, Railgun's Sisters Arc), but said people end up being disappointed in the rest of the series once those arcs are done. Not for everyone I suppose.

Phatmac

The amount of hate F/SN gets here is funny. Not sure if people just hate the entire series, or loved F/Z and were disappointed by F/SN, that fanservice Illya spinoff, or UBW TV.

The series is similar to the Index/Railgun series to me. Silly, but interesting and expansive lore, with fun characters and occasionally well animated. Eventually boils down to teenagers with superpowers. Both series has a more serious and well made arc in their stories that attract more people (Fate/Zero, Railgun's Sisters Arc), but said people end up being disappointed in the rest of the series once those arcs are done. Not for everyone I suppose.
Yeah it's a bit ridiculous but whatever. I don't think Fate is an amazing franchise or anything it's just a good VN with a solid adaptation.

All I want to see from Part 4 is more creative Stand powers, more crazy and hilarious situations arising because of them, and more quotable characters.

If Part 4 has all of those, I think I'll be okay with it.

I've been reading Part 4 and I can definitely confirm that the Stands are way more creative and dangerous than Part 3. This a bit of a spoiler for one the random Stands but there's one
that can literally melt a person's skin off and turn them into a cube.

Also the cast imo are better than Part 3. They have lots of personality especially the MC.

wut r u doing

----

But seriously, if you do have an option to watch the first FMA, go through like ~20 or so episodes of that version. Brotherhood rushes through the parts that the 2003 version already covered and butchers them in the process.

Why must anime adaptations be so weird?

I'll may do that after I finish Brotherhood, as I've heard that one's closer to its manga.

I like to watch my shows from beginning to end, not in a disjointed fashion where I should watch 20 episodes of one version then jump right into episode 30 to its other version!

I might change my mind somewhere down the line if these first few episodes of Brotherhood don't exactly please me, but we'll see.

Thanks for the advice nonetheless though!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Yeah it's a bit ridiculous but whatever. I don't think Fate is an amazing franchise or anything it's just a good VN with a solid adaptation.

I don't think VN lends itself to be a good source to be adapted into some TV form anyway unless there is a definitive True Route that covers all if not most of the characters. It's just how different entertainment mediums work.

Having said that, UBW is a vastly inferior product that fails on a direction level. There's no good pacing or a sense of accomplish between episodes. Even taking F/Z out of the equation the UBW adaption isn't good. Certain parts drag on for a long time and certain parts are just glossed over rather letting it simmer to be something truly enticing. What you have then is a mish mash of various stuff that is going on just for the sake of it going on rather than having something meaningful.

If you want to really put UBW next to F/Z then UBW is ultimately a failure. The source was adapted in a very faithful manner to its own doom pretty much. Pacing for the first half of the show is absolute trash and the second half just feels extremely rushed with parts that drag on for forever. Additionally, rather than focus on the entire cast they only focus on Shirou, Rin, Archer and Saber. Since this is the case, we should get a really granular look at these characters with a mix of static and dynamic characters. Not only that but some foils. But that's not what we get. These people don't undergo any truly meaningful change throughout the entirety of the show and it just feels like a show where stuff happened around the characters. You have a problem with both the character and the events occurring around the characters are a complete mess.

Angry Grimace

The worst thing about UBW is that they botched the climax with the Archer fight. No reason we should be cutting away to Rin or splitting the first part of the fight from the second.

kewlmyc

I don't think VN lends itself to be a good source to be adapted into some TV form anyway unless there is a definitive True Route that covers all if not most of the characters. It's just how different entertainment mediums work.

Having said that, UBW is a vastly inferior product that fails on a direction level. There's no good pacing or a sense of accomplish between episodes. Even taking F/Z out of the equation the UBW adaption isn't good. Certain parts drag on for a long time and certain parts are just glossed over rather letting it simmer to be something truly enticing. What you have then is a mish mash of various stuff that is going on just for the sake of it going on rather than having something meaningful.

If you want to really put UBW next to F/Z then UBW is ultimately a failure. The source was adapted in a very faithful manner to its own doom pretty much. Pacing for the first half of the show is absolute trash and the second half just feels extremely rushed with parts that drag on for forever. Additionally, rather than focus on the entire cast they only focus on Shirou, Rin, Archer and Saber. Since this is the case, we should get a really granular look at these characters with a mix of static and dynamic characters. Not only that but some foils. But that's not what we get. These people don't undergo any truly meaningful change throughout the entirety of the show and it just feels like a show where stuff happened around the characters. You have a problem with both the character and the events occurring around the characters are a complete mess.

Nothing you've said is wrong, but I'm pretty sure the pacing issues existed in the VN as well. I'm starting to thing a 37-52 episode adaption of all the arcs back to back to back might have been best.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The worst thing about UBW is that they botched the climax with the Archer fight. No reason we should be cutting away to Rin or splitting the first part of the fight from the second.

This was the by far the biggest sin I had with the show considering I actually enjoy the Fate Universe. Archer and Shirou was meant to be the climactic fight in the series whereas the Gilgamesh vs Shirou is a culmination of all things that Shirou had learned throughout the show and putting it to the test. Perhaps it was by design but it just feels like the fight was completely robbed. They had already built up this fight into an episode prior to the fight happening but there was poor weaving of action and talking. Not only that but it dragged on for way too long which made it feel like padding. Adding in the fact that they actually started to repeat the same things over and over and over again. it just doesn't help.

Plastic Memories END

Don´t really feel like writing much
;_;
, but I´ll say that even if the whole premise of the show didn´t live up to it´s full potential this was definitely worth watching. I would be lying if I said that my Saturday afternoons won´t feel a bit empty after this. Overall I´d give it a 7/10, more than likely it will appear at my top 10 for year.

So at end...
the new partner for Tsukasa was a new version of Isla, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom