• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

People keep poking me about the yuri in Euphonium, but is it actually genuine? Or is it more in the whole Love Live realm of girls who theoretically want to be with each other but don't actually do it because that's just how anime works.

I understand being wary of heteronormative assumptions about potential couples in a show, but this is also anime we're talking about.

You take that back NozoEli is more canon than the bible

*ahem*

I don't know if I would even call it yuri anymore. There's definitely a sensual element to their relationship and I guess they definitely tried to draw in the otaku with the promotional material, but I figure the two of them being a romantic pair was never really in the cards. Like, Kumiko's love for music is rekindled when she meets Reina and Reina sees a kindred spirit. There's definitely a spark between them, and if this were a different kind anime I could maybe see it happening but... No dice. That said, I don't want to see Shuuichi end up with Kumiko. At least not yet. Not out of spite, but I don't think they've reached a point where it would be compelling. Maybe in season 2...?

javac

eSfxns3.jpg
Fucking A. Out this August. Beautiful artwork. Where are you going, When are you coming home?

e_i

From reading the Gakkou Gurashi manga, I believe two things about the upcoming anime: First, I know where they will end the 1st cour (there probably won't be a 2nd cour) and the lead girl will annoy the shit out of me.

Cornbread78

Yuusha ni Narenakatta
Alright Cajun, thanks for this one. It made me laugh and put a smile on my face, so there is that, lol. I mean, the plot was pretty stupid and they teased this whole relationship thing, but never did anything with it. They also stayed away from an obvious harem situation, when this guy could have been a pimp and they didn;t even try to hide i!. It's like they purposefully tried to stay away from all teh cliche's out there and just followed a story about this cute demon chick. Well, it was fun and it had a ton of funny moments in it. Also, the first few episodes were the lewest, but about halfway through, they pretty much canned it up with only boobs, lol. If you are looking for a mindless anime that isn't going to make you think very much that you just want to have fun with and don;t mind a little lewdness, then this is the one. However, they did have a cool setting and opportuity to make something really good here, but looks liek they gave up halfway through, lol. Still fun and entertaining though!

Phatmac

I think Gintama is the only anime to base a whole gag on a Japanesee Mother poster.
91060-v7.png
. The other half of the episode was fine but I've never been a fan of Otae-chan. I'm super excited for the genderbend arc coming up next week.
gn9eBWg.jpg

I think Gintama is the only anime to base a whole gag on a Japanesee Mother poster.
91060-v7.png
. The other half of the episode was fine but I've never been a fan of Otae-chan. I'm super excited for the gender bent arc coming up next week.
gn9eBWg.jpg

Oh shit time to catch up.

Ready for that Gin-chan.😏

Triage X - 09

overall bleh but shit I liked:

bomb girl greeting
hulk woman vs shitty twins rematch (expected more tho)
crazy tongue woman
99Hndxl.gif

Phatmac

I've been waiting for this arc to be animated and it has finally come. We are truly blessed.
I'm glad that I'm an anime-only watcher as I'll be watching this without any spoilers. I'm really looking forward to Kyubei's reaction since she's wanted to be a man for a while now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's not real or fake yuri. The show depicts a complex and unique friendship between two girls, and some people who are used to thinking in binaries have reduced it down to being either yuri or yuri bait, when it's nothing of the sort.
Well, like I said, I know the "Class S" thing, and of course in Western terms, people have coded Anne of Green Gables as being a queer text for basically the same reasons. It's just that people have been telling me that it's yuri and I have no context since I'm not watching the show. lol

It's kinda like the Nozomi parfait scene. It doesn't really confirm anything but it's a solid foundation for peoples imagination to run wild.

And I don't blame those people because anime over the years has used the same exact atmosphere in actual yuri.

A sort of if it looks like a duck and acts like a duck situation.
If the problem is that the language of yuri bait is being used, then the audience can't really be blamed. I mean, I'm assuming this show pushes things further than say, the Mio x Ritsu relationship on K-On (to just borrow a KyoAni example) where they end up playing against each other as Romeo and Juliet.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You take that back NozoEli is more canon than the bible

*ahem*

I don't know if I would even call it yuri anymore. There's definitely a sensual element to their relationship and I guess they definitely tried to draw in the otaku with the promotional material, but I figure the two of them being a romantic pair was never really in the cards. Like, Kumiko's love for music is rekindled when she meets Reina and Reina sees a kindred spirit. There's definitely a spark between them, and if this were a different kind anime I could maybe see it happening but... No dice. That said, I don't want to see Shuuichi end up with Kumiko. At least not yet. Not out of spite, but I don't think they've reached a point where it would be compelling. Maybe in season 2...?
MakiNico, etc, etc.

That clip doesn't seem romantic per se, at least not to me anyway.

I just wonder if the crowd that watched MariMite has basically aged out of the forum, since that is probably the modern gold standard for extremely close but not queer female homosocial relationships, where characters go through the trappings of standard romcom misunderstandings and plots, but it's all in service of close but platonic friendship.

Midonin

Wish Upon the Pleiades 09

The cultural festival is ubiquitous, but that wasn't really what this episode was about. It was more about Subaru and Minato taking a tour of the universe, going to far reaches that people have never reached. This show's approach to the interstellar nature of the magical girls is wonderful, and I can't fault Subaru for forgetting the fragments - that space tour moved the audience as much as it did her - but things just went in the wrong direction. Even if the audience isn't wholly sure what Minato wants the fragments for himself.

DEATH™

Yuusha ni Narenakatta
Alright Cajun, thanks for this one. It made me laugh and put a smile on my face, so there is that, lol. I mean, the plot was pretty stupid and they teased this whole relationship thing, but never did anything with it. They also stayed away from an obvious harem situation, when this guy could have been a pimp and they didn;t even try to hide i!. It's like they purposefully tried to stay away from all teh cliche's out there and just followed a story about this cute demon chick. Well, it was fun and it had a ton of funny moments in it. Also, the first few episodes were the lewest, but about halfway through, they pretty much canned it up with only boobs, lol. If you are looking for a mindless anime that isn't going to make you think very much that you just want to have fun with and don;t mind a little lewdness, then this is the one. However, they did have a cool setting and opportuity to make something really good here, but looks liek they gave up halfway through, lol. Still fun and entertaining though!

Agreed aside for it being fully mindless necessarily. This hits home to people who trained for skills that they can't use in the job market...

Last episodes are sick thoug

Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V Episode 57

Wow that was one of the funnest Dennis duels ever. He really lives up to his role, cant wait for him to go full villain mode eventually.

Susano-O effect is so unfair, it has 3800 ATK and can attack in Defense Mode...

Cornbread78

The Pet Girl of Sakurasou ep 1-3
tumblr_mqgmfbNI491rec90to3_500.gif

So I started something new this afternoon. I'm not sure if this is a series love story, another goofy scool time anime or a drama. You can;t really tell from teh first three episodes, but Shiina is pretty cute (those red eyes though) but the MC is a weenie of course.... Oh well, some really funny moments, especially from the Childhood friends that will certainly lose.... Poor saps..

So I started something new this afternoon. I'm not sure if this is a series love story, another goofy scool time anime or a drama. You can;t really tell from teh first three episodes, but Shiina is pretty cute (those red eyes though) but the MC is a weenie of course.... Oh well, some really funny moments, especially from the Childhood friends that will certainly lose.... Poor saps..

Screw this anime, best girl loses.

cajunator

Banned
People keep poking me about the yuri in Euphonium, but is it actually genuine? Or is it more in the whole Love Live realm of girls who theoretically want to be with each other but don't actually do it because that's just how anime works.

I understand being wary of heteronormative assumptions about potential couples in a show, but this is also anime we're talking about.

No one is really sure what we are dealing with at the moment.
Its based on conjecture from a scene where two girls have a moment together and
one girl traces the other girls face profile with her finger in a sensual way
Subtle but very effective.

I feel like if this was "real" yuri, the yuri community would have picked up on it based on the novels and started hyping the show long before it aired.

I mean, we can have all the talks about something like MariMite, which moves from subtext to text at times, but in the end, there is only one explicitly gay character on the show. And even then, she doesn't actually ever end up with a woman.

Of course, then you get into the whole idea of the "Class S" genre of Japanese fiction which just muddles everything.

Agree that yuri community would have seen this coming and hyped it to the hills, like they did with Sakura Trick and Yuri Kuma. I really enjoyed those two.

I can't comment on the show directly, but, it is a real life phenom ya know. We've all been there. Sometimes it's years later, but there is a certain comfortability with someone you grew up with an knows you better than anyone else. There was a reason you were good friends growing up, you just didn't connect it yet. Mopey boy may be a dope, but, he's got a shot.

Remember though, this is anime. Childhood friends NEVER win. My reference previously was the only expection and that one doesn't count..

Not completely accurate. I can think of a few. Ai Yori Aoshi and Love Hina are earlier examples.

Sterok

Pleiades 9

So even Subaru forgot she was in the astronomy club. I guess they're not going to use the fact that they've been through this culture festival aside from Nanako, though I guess they did say they were doing that last episode. Subaru/Minato is so po-warm everyone else thinks they're dating. Which I guess isn't too far off the mark. Time to tour the universe. Extra backstory further connecting the two. I'm amused that this hasn't created yuri debates like Euphonium, given how much Subaru/Aoi was pushed. Though Subaru/Minato always was the main relationship. Too bad they can't remember this stuff. Could they have taken cameras? And Subaru forgets something kind of important.

Cornbread78

Ah the anime were it's funnywhen a seemingly mentally retarded girl gets naked. But there's 20 other reasons to drop it azap.

Lol, it's another one that's been sitting in my queue for awhile now.. The three episode test is truly inconclusive at this point all I cab tell is that it's about the MC's coming of age of sorts..

Rainy

Banned
Steins;Gate 10-11
Started watching the series again after a long break due to me being busy with other stuff. Interesting turn of events as he keeps traveling from one alternate timeline to another. Also liked the background we got on Kurisu's dad.
Looks like things are really starting to pick up now.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V Episode 58
CGmlqIVUkAAdRxY.png

Please lose Kurosaki, I love your raid raptors, but ugh, Dennis can pull through.

All these Synchro Dimension duels are fun. We just need Raira to get in this too and I think its all set to continue being best YGO.

cajunator

Banned
Fucking A. Out this August. Beautiful artwork. Where are you going, When are you coming home?

I might have to get this. Never watched Orguss.

Yuusha ni Narenakatta

Yw.
Told you Fino was amazing.
I wish the show was longer, because theres more that could be explored with Fino's past and the ending is kind of rushed, but Ill take it.

You might like Henneko too.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/henneko-the-hentai-prince-and-the-stony-cat-
Its not romantic but theres a sort of story unique to this series and it deals a bit in the supernatural and things like that. Its really cute though (of course) and you will love Tsukiko. Its not hentai as the name would suggest so dont worry about that.

cajunator

Banned
Triage X - 09

overall bleh but shit I liked:

bomb girl greeting
hulk woman vs shitty twins rematch (expected more tho)
crazy tongue woman
99Hndxl.gif

What the hell is going on in that gif?!
She looks psycho.

This one is worth your time too.
Also consider my suggestion for Henneko.

Ore Monogatari 09

Man, fuck anime shirt wiki. We have Takeo's magical shirt that just says whatever is appropriate for the situation

oh and this is still cute

cajunator

Banned
Steins;Gate 10-11
Started watching the series again after a long break due to me being busy with other stuff. Interesting turn of events as he keeps traveling from one alternate timeline to another. Also liked the background we got on Kurisu's dad.
Looks like things are really starting to pick up now.

You know that moment in a jet engine after the turbine has spun up just before the igniter alights? Thats where you are. I hope you like the ride.

I think Gintama is the only anime to base a whole gag on a Japanesee Mother poster. The other half of the episode was fine but I've never been a fan of Otae-chan. I'm super excited for the genderbend arc coming up next week.

I can watch 150 episodes in a week, fuck The Witcher

Wish Upon the Pleiades 09

The cultural festival is ubiquitous, but that wasn't really what this episode was about. It was more about Subaru and Minato taking a tour of the universe, going to far reaches that people have never reached. This show's approach to the interstellar nature of the magical girls is wonderful, and I can't fault Subaru for forgetting the fragments - that space tour moved the audience as much as it did her - but things just went in the wrong direction. Even if the audience isn't wholly sure what Minato wants the fragments for himself.

Subaru and Minato were so cute together.
Gainax still full of nerds. homernerd.gif

Midonin

So, the title of ShimoSeka's OP is B地区戦隊SOX - "B-Chiku Sentai SOX". I can already see it being my favorite opening of next season, because it appears to be presenting this group of lewd vigilantes like a superhero team. It's my one weakness. Might not outstrip (phrasing!) Twintails as a favorite series, but maybe it does have something to say about the relationship between sexuality and society. Or maybe it's just an actiony SYD, who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom