• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

I'll agree with the first statement and totally disagree with the second statement. The problem I see with this one is that there really was no romance in it. They started to build it in the beginning, even so much so it gets aggrivating watching another spineless MC vomit on himself constantly and just when you think the character development will pay off, the show completely drops all romance involved, removes itself from teh character developement and starts digging in on a new issue. By the time the series starts winding down, they start to get back into it and close those relationship gaps, but they just never do it.

Sakurasou has the same problem many LNs (and their adaptations) have in that the author has no real cohesive vision for his story so each volume ends up being more like a self-contained story that happen to feature the same characters than as part of an overarching narrative.

Now there's nothing necessarily wrong with this, but when it comes to adaptations TV isn't structured like a novel. A typical anime is serialized in weekly episodic installments rather than discrete volumes. The end result is that you can literally see the seams where one LN volume ends and the next one begins, and in an unfocused work like Sakurasou this means the entire anime as a whole appears scattershot and without any clear narrative goals in mind.

Watch KareKano (His and Her Circumstances) if you want a show that focuses on romance and excels at it, while also managing to be quite a competent comedy.

I have to thank you because your impressions back in the old thread made me watch it even if I didn't post my impressions and it was really nice both in romance and comedy, a shame it ended the way it did but the journey was nice, loved the OP. Thanks!

Cornbread78

Sakurasou has the same problem many LNs (and their adaptations) have in that the author has no real cohesive vision for his story so each volume ends up being more like a self-contained story that happen to feature the same characters than as part of an overarching narrative.

Now there's nothing necessarily wrong with this, but when it comes to adaptations TV isn't structured like a novel. A typical anime is serialized in weekly episodic installments rather than discrete volumes. The end result is that you can literally see the seams where one LN volume ends and the next one begins, and in an unfocused work like Sakurasou this means the entire anime as a whole appears scattershot and without any clear narrative goals in mind.

This is exactly it. You can also tell the LN carries through the ending of the animated series, because they basically pander to future events and don't give it a true ending at all, but restart everything in the last episode..... uuggh

And umm, Cajun..

What is this 11 Eyes show you had me watch? I just stood through Ep. 1 and damn... what was I just witnessing?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
SNAFU 10

Hachiman raises the Yukino Social Link to Rank 6 or so, so he's probably 2-3 ranks away from getting into her backstory and confession.

Iroha is already at 7, he just needs to grind out holding her bag.

Yui probably already an 8, he's just avoiding the last event.

Midonin

What is this 11 Eyes show you had me watch? I just stood through Ep. 1 and damn... what was I just witnessing?
I'm the one who recommended you 11eyes. The anime is average, but it's the first VN-based anime that I played the VN beforehand for, so it has special significance to me. For you, it's a tale of some kids trapped in a creepy alternate universe. The mystery is... "Why?"

I have to thank you because your impressions back in the old thread made me watch it even if I didn't post my impressions and it was really nice both in romance and comedy, a shame it ended the way it did but the journey was nice, loved the OP. Thanks!

Your welcome! Nice to know someone actually picked it up because of that. And yeh, the OP really grew on me.

rpmurphy

GoodSmile pls: http://www.goodsmile.info/en/product/5049/figma+Vehicles+Panzer+IV+Ausf+D+Finals.html

From the popular anime series with a film coming this Autumn, 'Girls und Panzer' comes a 1/12th scale model of Team Anglerfish's tank, the Panzer IV Ausf. D. The model comes prebuilt (unpainted), and also comes equipped with twin motors allowing it to drive it forward! The model faithfully preserves all the proportions, details and characteristics of the CG data used in the series.

The turret can be rotated and the main battery can be moved up and down allowing the tank to take careful aim. Various hatches around the tank can also be manually opened and closed. You can even easily display figma Miho Nishizumi and the other members of the Anglerfish Team riding inside the tank!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Season 2, Episode 22:

Now that is how you get a monster heel over with the crowd.

Cornbread78

I'm the one who recommended you 11eyes. The anime is average, but it's the first VN-based anime that I played the VN beforehand for, so it has special significance to me. For you, it's a tale of some kids trapped in a creepy alternate universe. The mystery is... "Why?"

LOL, my bad, I thought it was Cajun for some reason, lol.

I'll give it the 3 episode rule. Interestign first 2 mins though, brutal, brutal, brutal...

phaze

Jojo SC 46
004758lsslp.png

Bon Apettit !

Well the cat is out of the bag now. I feel silly for not guessing The World's power
given the imagery in the opening but with that scene of Jotaro shattering the glass wall, I imagined Dio's ability would be something in the vein of creating 10 m radius space freely shaped by him.

lol At Kakyoin's flashback.
3 minutes before his death. Still hoping Joseph will pull through. I don't think he got that "Joseph died" announcement yet.

I've never, despite my sincere attempts,
managed to get attached to the SC cast, so despite the events that took place here, I can't say the episode managed to do a lot for me on the emotional level.
They didn't even make a big deal out of their deaths so that certainly added to my indiferrence. RIP Hamon.

Kieli

Is it wrong to worf minotaurs in a dungeon? - 10

Good episode. Hermes is so trollish, lol. I think Alfi has a crush on him. :3

T'would be funny if they run into Goliath and Bell gets to rank 3.

Nafe

Today, June 5th(still in the west anyway), is the birthday of member Hitokage.
Unfortunately he passed away rather suddenly last year. I realize he won't be able to respond to this message then but I'd still like to say Happy Birthday anyway.

For today at least, I thought it would be nice to reflect on the good memories he contributed to the thread rather than any possible bad memories or dwelling on the fact that he isn't here.

With that then, I'd like to give a big thank you to Hitokage for being one of the first to really encourage people to watch the show Ojamajo Doremi. I finally got around to it this year and have been watching it over the past few months. Currently I'm just starting into its third season/series called Mo~tto! Ojamajo Doremi. Asuka seems like she'll be a fun new addition to the cast.

I'm really enjoying the show and liked it right from the beginning. If it carries on like it has, then I think it will secure its place as being not only one of my favorite Magical Girl shows but one of my favorite in general.

I can see some of the similarities to Sailor Moon in Doremi that Hitokage pointed out, such as how Doremi and her younger sister, Pop, have echoes of the personalities and relationship that Usagi and Chibiusa had.

Sure, the shows not perfect and has some little quirks one can point out. As Hitokage himself mentioned some of the general premises of the show, such as in Sharp where you have fourth graders taking care of a baby, might seem a bit silly but they still execute on those ideas rather well overall. It's also nice that the show at least attempts to explore these more serious ideas such as the difficulty of raising a child, or one main characters family dealing with a divorce.

I see quite a few others in the thread have been watching and enjoying the show as well and I'm sure that would make him happy.

In PMs we talked about how I hadn't completed Super Mario Brothers 3 yet but I was so close and should give it another go. Just a few days ago I did complete the game and how I wanted, by going through every level of every world and not using any warps or items like the P-Wing. Unfortunately we can't talk about it more but I still wanted to give a quick "Hey, I did it" as I originally planned.

Anyway, thanks again Hitokage for telling me about some great shows I didn't know about and some fun conversations about great shows that I did. :)

Cornbread78

Nisekoi S2 ep. 9:
Nice, a pool episode! Well, it was another Haru focused episode and I'm surprised they are giving her so much screen time. Is this continuing to a season 3, or is it done after season2? I wonder is Paula is going to start jumping into the harem anytime soon. Is it me, or is there just been no plot lately? Anyhow, Ono is still the way to go here...

DIO'S WORLD PART 2

1fI2zqX.jpg
lknZVTe.jpg

DIO dropping mad truth bombs on Joseph

We finally learn the secret of DIO's stand which I'm surprised everyone didn't already know!

Can't decide if I like the older effect they used in the game and the sound better then this one. I like the clock ticking down when it activates though, that's awesome. The ORAORAORAMUDAMUDAMUDA clash was a bit weaker then I expected but the ones from the next episode should wow me, I hope.

Also they didn't bother to explain why DIO can fly now but I don't think it was ever explained in the manga either so lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Pet Girl of Sakurasou ep. 6-END
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20141214015928/degrassi/images/5/5b/Aoyama,_Shiina_and_Sorata.gif
OK, so I misread this one a little bit, there was NO true romance in it.. The focus on this anime is just another school-age show pandering about love. The Jim/ Misaki side love story was much much better here than our main wishy-washy protag, that did eventually choose one girl, but it wasn’t a "romantic" moment at all. The most "romantic" moment didn't even involve the MC,:
There must be another VN or additional manga behind to story, because they ended it on the friendship note, but also plugged future events in the process. Episode 18 about Jin and Misaki's relationship was heartfelt and really well written. The same can be said about the graduation ceremony were the plot was realized.
The show’s focus was on the relationships in the dorm as well as the hardships and struggles faced in the real world that they are headed towards. There was an opportunity to make this more emotional and more heartfelt, but they choose not to, which tells me that there is more to this story in the final year of their HS that was not animated. I can’t say it was a complete waste of time as the last few episodes were well done from a slice of life standpoint and there were many heartfelt moments. You can feel the struggles they were all going through trying to get to the next level of both their personal lives and their relationships with one another. There were also some pretty funny moments in the series as well. Below is what we should have seen more focus on becuase of all the characters, her developement should have been a core plot line, but they removed themselves from that focus early on for some reason. I guess I'm still a little irked about the ending, it was so non-commital for the MC but everything else was all-settled.

http://33.media.tumblr.com/bb831878db6ea31e810a876e9411e43d/tumblr_npf7hnDWk21tdab6go3_500.gif

There was also a homage to 2D-Kun in the series. This guy was great...
http://38.media.tumblr.com/b1a26c4145b347e1eb0ac51c06e9a2d8/tumblr_mf2xl6dUzA1r2r06fo4_250.gif

It's a romance anime that should have ended after episode 6. The fact that it repeated itself for three arcs and stunted the development of the canon relationship is bad enough, but then you add the fact that it just ends because the books weren't finished, and you have a non-ending on top of that. Yuck.

Since it's still listed as her original VA, probably appears only in flashback clips. But given her updated design as well, she might sing so that they can just reuse a song instead of re-recording anything.
I guess that's probably the easiest way to handle her character, although it'd be sad if there are scenes where they are all around and she doesn't ever say anything to the other characters.

phaze

Nisekoi S2 ep. 9:
Nice, a pool episode! Well, it was another Haru focused episode and I'm surprised they are giving her so much screen time. Is this continuing to a season 3, or is it done after season2? I wonder is Paula is going to start jumping into the harem anytime soon. Is it me, or is there just been no plot lately? Anyhow, Ono is still the way to go here...

It's called world building and character development !

DIO'S WORLD PART 2
We finally learn the secret of DIO's stand which I'm surprised everyone didn't already know!

Can't decide if I like the older effect they used in the game and the sound better then this one. I like the clock ticking down when it activates though, that's awesome. The ORAORAORAMUDAMUDAMUDA clash was a bit weaker then I expected but the ones from the next episode should wow me, I hope.

Also they didn't bother to explain why DIO can fly now but I don't think it was ever explained in the manga either so lol

Was about to ask about that.

I'm not quite sure how his power applies to the situation with Polnareff episode ago.
Did he stop the time and then gently shifted Polnareff 90 degrees with his stand ? Cause lol if so.

If that was all there is to the return of Hamon that I remember someone writing about during the last Hamon vs Stands debate then colour me dissapointed. :(

I'm not quite sure how his power applies to the situation with Polnareff episode ago.
Did he stop the time and then gently shifted Polnareff 90 degrees with his stand ? Cause lol if so.

If that was all there is to the return of Hamon that I remember someone writing about during the last Hamon vs Stands debate then colour me dissapointed. :(

That was Hamon's last stand, lol. I don't know why anybody would hype up a complete failure on Joseph's part!
I don't think Hamon shows up again, nor do vampires.
And yes that is what he did to Polnareff. Have fun visualizing DIO picking up Polnareff, moving him down the stairs then going back to the top and posing again.

Or look at these gifs (MASSIVE JOJO SPOILERS)

Oh and I want to highlight the effects they used for ZA WARUDO

https://d.maxfile.ro/ouikkbbhkc.webm
https://d.maxfile.ro/kfnfwtamdb.webm

Obvious spoilers, stolen from the JJBA anime thread.

Mandelbo

Oh god.
Not 11eyes.
Unless you want to watch something incredibly unintentionally funny, direct your attention elsewhere. As well as being hilarious, it is also one of the worst things I've ever watched, with great examples of a horrendous story and horrendous characters.
I guess if you just want something entertaining it should be fine, just don't get invested in the plot.

phaze

That was Hamon's last stand, lol. I don't know why anybody would hype up a complete failure on Joseph's part!
I don't think Hamon shows up again, nor do vampires.
And yes that is what he did to Polnareff. Have fun visualizing DIO picking up Polnareff, moving him down the stairs then going back to the top and posing again.

Or look at these gifs (MASSIVE JOJO SPOILERS)

Oh and I want to highlight the effects they used for ZA WARUDO

https://d.maxfile.ro/ouikkbbhkc.webm
https://d.maxfile.ro/kfnfwtamdb.webm

Obvious spoilers, stolen from the JJBA anime thread.

I don't think he was hyping it per se but I did got the impression it would be something more significant.

Those gifs are hilarious, especially the first one.

Paltheos

I powered through the first season of SNAFU in the past two days. Two of the main leads are damaged human beings and the show takes their outlooks to their logical conclusions, but it does a good job of switching between compelling/sad and fun. It doesn't feel laid on thick but still effectively gets its points across.

One big plot point flew over my head for a few episodes
I didn't realize that Yuki was in the car on the day of the accident and aware that Hachiman had figured it out too for a while
so I didn't follow the show well for a little while. :(

Prepping to plow through S2. Joining the rest of you soon in the weekly wait club. Gotta say though. S2 looks substantially richer and more detailed than S1. You know the animation studio put a ton into that close-up shot of Yui's face in the first episode too. What a great shot.

cajunator

Banned
It's gonna be another 2-3 years wait, sigh.

Still much better than we used to get

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
ITS FINALLY HAPPENING

Toradora has a KugiRie tsundere in it, that already put it in my shit list when I first saw it and nothing about the story salvaged it from that list.

Im not a huge fan of KugiLolis as yall know, but Taiga and Louise are exceptions. they are simply too cute and the dere is extremely powerful when it happens.
However, feel free to direct all your hate in Shana's direction. She fully deserves all the vitriol.

Cornbread78

It's called world building and character development !
. :(

I didn't realize that still existed, lol.

seriously though, they are doing an S3 for this, correct?

Danmachi ep. 10
Damn, pretty tense tone in this one. Incredible pace change for the series and a good way to integrate more characters into the fold. Bell's beast mode can only go so far...

cajunator

Banned
Watch KareKano (His and Her Circumstances) if you want a show that focuses on romance and excels at it, while also managing to be quite a competent comedy.

This is an excellent recommendation!

This is exactly it. You can also tell the LN carries through the ending of the animated series, because they basically pander to future events and don't give it a true ending at all, but restart everything in the last episode..... uuggh

And umm, Cajun..

I didnt tell you to watch that one though I do have the series.

Danmachi endcard by Ryochimo

Need a Lili endcard

Jex

Unfortunately he passed away rather suddenly last year. I realize he won't be able to respond to this message then but I'd still like to say Happy Birthday anyway.

For today at least, I thought it would be nice to reflect on the good memories he contributed to the thread rather than any possible bad memories or dwelling on the fact that he isn't here.

With that then, I'd like to give a big thank you to Hitokage for being one of the first to really encourage people to watch the show Ojamajo Doremi. I finally got around to it this year and have been watching it over the past few months. Currently I'm just starting into its third season/series called Mo~tto! Ojamajo Doremi. Asuka seems like she'll be a fun new addition to the cast.

[...]

Anyway, thanks again Hitokage for telling me about some great shows I didn't know about and some fun conversations about great shows that I did. :)
Great post. I stopped watching Doremi Sharp about a year ago and after watching just about every other show I could find I think it's time I came back to Doremi to complete my original promise to Hitokage to watch and write about the show. I've just kind of been avoiding it for as long as possible, it would seem.

Danmachi - 10

Whenever the MC says FIREBOLTOOO it makes me want to jump in front of a train. I'm finding myself annoyed at his mere presence. I care little for any of the other cast. I do like the setting (bar the fucking grinding tower), and gods chillin' with mortals is pretty nice.
This has been the case for a while, if I was watching this as a finished show I would've dropped it. Then the devil shows up on my left shoulder and whisper gently: "Idiot you've already invested a lot of time, and it's only 20 minutes a week, what's the harm? It'll get better, you'll see..."
I look over my other shoulder in hope of the angel, but then I remember he abandoned me long ago.

I think I need help.

Cornbread78

Danmachi - 10

Whenever the MC says FIREBOLTOOO it makes me want to jump in front of a train. I'm finding myself annoyed at his mere presence. I care little for any of the other cast. I do like the setting (bar the fucking grinding tower), and gods chillin' with mortals is pretty nice.
This has been the case for a while, if I was watching this as a finished show I would've dropped it. Then the devil shows up on my left shoulder and whisper gently: "Idiot you've already invested a lot of time, and it's only 20 minutes a week, what's the harm? It'll get better, you'll see..."
I look over my other shoulder in hope of the angel, but then I remember he abandoned me long ago.
I think I need help.

Well, the world and characters are pretty damn good thus far and teh show is really enjoyable, so listen to that devil of yours.. I really hope this show continues for a long time because it has a lot going for it if they can keep up with a good story line.

I think I need help.

This was literally me with Mahouka

Mature

I'm really enjoying the show and liked it right from the beginning. If it carries on like it has, then I think it will secure its place as being not only one of my favorite Magical Girl shows but one of my favorite in general.

I can see some of the similarities to Sailor Moon in Doremi that Hitokage pointed out, such as how Doremi and her younger sister, Pop, have echoes of the personalities and relationship that Usagi and Chibiusa had.

Sure, the shows not perfect and has some little quirks one can point out. As Hitokage himself mentioned some of the general premises of the show, such as in Sharp where you have fourth graders taking care of a baby, might seem a bit silly but they still execute on those ideas rather well overall. It's also nice that the show at least attempts to explore these more serious ideas such as the difficulty of raising a child, or one main characters family dealing with a divorce.

I see quite a few others in the thread have been watching and enjoying the show as well and I'm sure that would make him happy.

In PMs we talked about how I hadn't completed Super Mario Brothers 3 yet but I was so close and should give it another go. Just a few days ago I did complete the game and how I wanted, by going through every level of every world and not using any warps or items like the P-Wing. Unfortunately we can't talk about it more but I still wanted to give a quick "Hey, I did it" as I originally planned.

Hito pushed me into watching Urusei Yatsura, and I think about him every once in awhile when I'm watching it. I'm not done with the show yet, but it's easily one of my favorites.

Danmachi - 10

I think I need help.

Just drop it if you believe it's a waste of time. Yeah being invested sucks but if you don't get anything out of it just let it go. Trust me it makes you feel better, plus it gives you time to watch other shows you enjoy.

Also if you haven't seen Kyousougiga you should watch it.😏

Dungeon Harem 10

Bell-sama whooping ass at the end only reminded me of my Dragon's Dogma character who also was a white haired, red eyed double dagger user lol.

Oh Dragon's Dogma. When will you be mine again.

Danmachi 10

#BASED

I'm waiting for the time where Bell just destroys the whole tower in a single blow. It's bound to happen sometime.

JoJo Bizarre adventure

I kinda got the hint last episode but this was still brutal.
Goodnight sweet prince

I guess Joseph also died, wonder if the same fate lies in store for Polnareff

Kieli

Shokugeki no Erina-is-a-hag - 10

Megumi's crying scene was really botched. It had zero impact vs. manga (she didn't even cry...).

Oh well, Soma's challenge was hype.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
is it bad to jump right into s2 of yahari? seems pretty funny from what I've seen but first season looks ugly.

s1 sucks apart from like 2 episodes and is ugly too

the impetus for the first 3/4ths of the show or so is some stupid drama that didn't even make sense in the first place, and everyone takes everything wayyyyyyy too seriously so yeah

John Blade

Just finish watching Gasaraki. Man....the ending remind me quite a bit of Evangelion TV ending feel. I might put my impression later this week of this show. Now, another show done in my collection now.

Clov

I mean, Utena seems like a no brainer... but the failure of AnimeSols has probably kind of shown that the market is fairly limited for people who want catalog releases of something that's not Sailor Moon or Dragon Ball. And since many of these people already bought the DVDs, I wonder how many of them would want to double dip.

Of course, I want to hope they do it and it succeeds, because maybe that would mean an Aria BD release... but that's completely wishful thinking.

The market might be small, but it's definitely there. Companies like Discotek thrive off releasing catalog titles. While AnimeSols did fail overall, it hasn't dissuaded companies from pursuing older titles; Dororo was even picked up for a DVD release by Discotek soon after AnimeSols closed. Personally I think it's only a matter of time for a BD release of Utena to reach North America, it's just that Nozomi is dragging their feet.

S1 of yahari is also essential to understanding the characters and their dynamics. And while it's not as consistently great (or pretty) as S2 it is still really enjoyable.

Paltheos

is it bad to jump right into s2 of yahari? seems pretty funny from what I've seen but first season looks ugly.

Yeah, the first season's not pretty, but the actual content is really good. I've only just started the second season, but the dynamic between the characters (especially the three mains) is too important to just skip the first season, plus season 2 jumps right in, assuming you know everyone already. Start from the beginning. The first episode is a pretty good indicator of whether or not you'll like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom