• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
The word isn't being used in an offensive matter at all here ^ They are saying it is a "trap" because he is not transgendered, he is a boy that looks like a girl and is very soft mannered, making him seem like he acts like a girl too. I'm pretty sure that this is why he called him that, and not to be offensive towards anyone. I don't think it is ban worthy at all

the issue is "trap" is/has been used to describe a practically nonexistent phenomenon of people presenting as the other gender to "trap" unsuspecting people, so however benign it is in anime fandom it has to carry that burden

Jarmel

Banned
What about bishounen?

Bishounen is something totally different. They might have feminine elements but they still by and large look male.

I've heard the word otokonoko used for these kinds of characters in anime and manga, but I don't know if there are any others.

Oh yea I forgot about that. I have no clue what it means in English though, or if it 'translates' well at all.

Show by Rock eng dub cast...are they doing the songs in englsh too, why give lyrics credits?!

Cyan – Bryn Apprill
Chuchu – Alexis Tipton
Retoree – Caitlin Glass
Moa – Monica Rial
SYU☆ZO – Vic Mignogna
Kai – Ricco Fajardo
Riku – Micah Solusad
Crow – Mike McFarland
Aion – Jerry Jewell
Yaiba – Ian Sinclair
Rom – Chris Sabat
Maple – Sonny Strait
Angelica – Rachel Robinson
Strawberry Heart – Justin Cook —

ADR Director – Caitlin Glass
Writers: Rachel Robinson, Mike McFarland
Lyrics: Brina Palencia, Vic Mignogna - See more at: http://www.funimation.com/blog/2015...nouncements-at-a-kon-26/#sthash.pIyvJkMc.dpuf

Jarmel

Banned
it lies somewhere between pretty boy and hot stud, basically

Pretty much. The FFXV crew has been repeatedly described as bishounen but they don't actually look like females.

Final-Fantasy-XV-Main-Cast-CG.jpg

Well maybe the blonde guy (forgot his name lol).

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 12

Great Scott! Gendo Ikari actually praised Shinji in this episode! And here I was thinking that there wasn't going to be any father-son bonding in this! Good on ya Shinji! If you continue to get in that robot, I'm sure you'll repair your relationship with your father in no time!

How long before everything goes to Hell?

sonicmj1

Oh yea I forgot about that. I have no clue what it means in English though, or if it 'translates' well at all.

"Otokonoko" is a pun where you read the kanji for "Male daughter" (男の娘) the same as the word "boy" (男の子). It refers to male crossdressers who look and behave very much like girls. I was considering it in our conversation earlier, but I think crossdressing is too key a part of its meaning.

XK2hq5m.png
hniS5k9.jpg

WjTl7Um.jpg
qhlKBBB.jpg

LBtZ91B.png
s7RXyFf.png

ERINA A CUTE!

kMx6DXo.png

I did not need this after reading that SnS extra earlier today.

Nor seeing manly Gin and naked Soma interacting with each other.

Shinomiya being a total ass brings back some memories.

Can't wait for all those new goodies next week.

2V2wg65.gif

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Literally nothing. It's most likely a panel dedicated to boobs, butts, and Twintails and their fanbases. It's 18+ so you can only imagine how horrible it's gonna be.
Soooo actually I am one of the panelists for Boobs, Butts, or Twintails along with my wife and one of our (female) friends. My wife and I went to a panel at a local con that was literally a bunch of dudes ogling boobs, and we spent the entire panel thinking of ways to make it not awful and maybe subversive. It's basically just a character identification gameshow where the hints should be obvious from the title of the panel. We were pretty militant about making sure it's not exploity or gross. The lewd title is there to lure people in. I promise it's not just gross pander bait, the entire point is to subvert their expectation that it's GOING to be that. We use a lot of characters from minority populations, and like... Chi from Chi's Sweet Home's butt, or Machinehead from Redline's (manly) boobs. It's basically a covert SJW panel.

And FWIW, the first time we ran it it wasn't 18+. We basically wanted to do it 18+ so we could curse and weren't showing boobs to teens.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I find it funny that your watching Trigun who's the same author that wrote Kekkai Sensen as well.

the characters are more presentable and admirable imo, thats pretty much it.

Edit:

Also the beginning for Trigun was a lot more palatable than Kekkai Sensen's since it was a bit of a clusterfuck of what's happening. Since I'm enjoying Trigun and its made by the same author, I'll give Kekkai Sensen another chance and go deeper into the episodes and see if it improves on the few faults it had in the first couple of episodes.

Narag

Today, June 5th(still in the west anyway), is the birthday of member Hitokage.
Unfortunately he passed away rather suddenly last year. I realize he won't be able to respond to this message then but I'd still like to say Happy Birthday anyway.

For today at least, I thought it would be nice to reflect on the good memories he contributed to the thread rather than any possible bad memories or dwelling on the fact that he isn't here.

With that then, I'd like to give a big thank you to Hitokage for being one of the first to really encourage people to watch the show Ojamajo Doremi. I finally got around to it this year and have been watching it over the past few months. Currently I'm just starting into its third season/series called Mo~tto! Ojamajo Doremi. Asuka seems like she'll be a fun new addition to the cast.

I'm really enjoying the show and liked it right from the beginning. If it carries on like it has, then I think it will secure its place as being not only one of my favorite Magical Girl shows but one of my favorite in general.

I can see some of the similarities to Sailor Moon in Doremi that Hitokage pointed out, such as how Doremi and her younger sister, Pop, have echoes of the personalities and relationship that Usagi and Chibiusa had.

Sure, the shows not perfect and has some little quirks one can point out. As Hitokage himself mentioned some of the general premises of the show, such as in Sharp where you have fourth graders taking care of a baby, might seem a bit silly but they still execute on those ideas rather well overall. It's also nice that the show at least attempts to explore these more serious ideas such as the difficulty of raising a child, or one main characters family dealing with a divorce.

I see quite a few others in the thread have been watching and enjoying the show as well and I'm sure that would make him happy.

In PMs we talked about how I hadn't completed Super Mario Brothers 3 yet but I was so close and should give it another go. Just a few days ago I did complete the game and how I wanted, by going through every level of every world and not using any warps or items like the P-Wing. Unfortunately we can't talk about it more but I still wanted to give a quick "Hey, I did it" as I originally planned.

Anyway, thanks again Hitokage for telling me about some great shows I didn't know about and some fun conversations about great shows that I did. :)

I'd been rolling things around in my head all day trying to find something to say here since this is something of an important post on your behalf. He's the one that pushed me towards giving Sailor Moon a proper chance to the point I even watched the toku series and bought all the manga. As it were though, I still haven't finished the last 17 eps of the show due to obvious reasons. I can't help but imagine he'd roll his eyes at me for putting the show off yet again as I was rather wont to do when watching it more "actively." That and finishing the manga are both things I'm planning to finally do this summer thanks to his influence. I'll be glad to have finally met that expectation.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Started and finished Your Lie in April today. Really amazing series, definitely my favorite show of the year. First time I shed some tears since like Clannad: AS.

Rainy

Banned
SNAFU S2 10
Hah I ended that opening scene with Iroha with a smile on my face, damn. Good scenes with Yuki and Yui during this episode as well. That insert song was the opening from the first season right? Nice hearing it again. Lastly...Haruno is so annoying, drives me crazy!

SHOUJO KAKUMEI UTENA

I just finished watching Shoujo Kakumei Utena/Revolutionary Girl Utena for the second time and I don't know what else to do with my life.

Really though, it's pretty different from other anime that are favorites of mine, like Paranoia Agent and Tatami Galaxy, and I've fallen for it in a way that I haven't with other Shoujo. It tries to be dramatic like other shoujo anime I've seen, but then it turns that around and pokes fun at it. It's intentionally silly and over-the-top, but at the same time it presents things relating to character meanings or thoughts in a more subtle and serious way.
The Cantarella scene for example was incredibly meaningful to me when it came to the development of Anthy and Utena's relationship despite lacking a direct confrontation. The poppy symbolism, the planetarium, the apple and forks, there are so many details or elements of striking imagery and I had to watch the second time to understand it all, and even then I kept thinking about some of the character arcs (like how Saionji distrusts Touga and Akio the most but still plays into their plans because he's emotionally dependent upon them through his own insecurity and jealousy.)

Also, what I like is that the series doesn't go out of its way to explain everything. The point of the anime isn't to paint a realistic picture of the world or how it functions, but rather to show the relationships and personalities of a given set of characters and how they develop.
What a prince and princess actually are, what Dios and Anthy are/were, and what Eternity/The Revolution are on a practical level were always kind of left vague, but that's perfectly fine. The anime isn't made to explain the events that occur objectively, but rather to show what they mean to each character, and that ends up being the center of the plot. What the promised power actually ends up being isn't the important part, it's what the characters are willing to do for it. What the prince actually was isn't the point. What does matter is that Utena is trying to follow her ideals of what a prince is and how that conflicts with her own desires as a human being.

I honestly think it doesn't start so well compared to the rest but the last arc is soooooo good. What other anime(particularly in the shoujo genre) reach that level?

Cornbread78

Shuffle! ep.1-6
14e7b9447c86275ebb4aae11a04ec654.jpg

So I got through about 6 episodes so far and Rin has got himself a nice little harem already. They are all "childhood friends" so I'm not sure how this will work out, but hopefully, Kaede wins because it's like they are already married. The humor here is keeping me involved because everything else is blah. I mean, he can become a king. During our "harem talk" the other night I thought thus dude made a quick decision, but I don't know, we'll see what happens. I'm routing for wifey. The other 4 need to back off. The familiar sounding English VA's are throwing me off though, lol. Well, it's entertaining so far, but let's see if it gets good at some point..

Cornbread78

Started and finished Your Lie in April today. Really amazing series, definitely my favorite show of the year. First time I shed some tears since like Clannad: AS.

Yeah, that ending really throws you for a loop. That damn
letter
my oh my.. They never did get
to do that one last performance together
but the story itself used great character development and the festival scene was very touching as proof of that.

One of my favs this year as well; so good.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
SHOUJO KAKUMEI UTENA

I just finished watching Shoujo Kakumei Utena/Revolutionary Girl Utena for the second time and I don't know what else to do with my life.

Really though, it's pretty different from other anime that are favorites of mine, like Paranoia Agent and Tatami Galaxy, and I've fallen for it in a way that I haven't with other Shoujo. It tries to be dramatic like other shoujo anime I've seen, but then it turns that around and pokes fun at it. It's intentionally silly and over-the-top, but at the same time it presents things relating to character meanings or thoughts in a more subtle and serious way.
The Cantarella scene for example was incredibly meaningful to me when it came to the development of Anthy and Utena's relationship despite lacking a direct confrontation. The poppy symbolism, the planetarium, the apple and forks, there are so many details or elements of striking imagery and I had to watch the second time to understand it all, and even then I kept thinking about some of the character arcs (like how Saionji distrusts Touga and Akio the most but still plays into their plans because he's emotionally dependent upon them through his own insecurity and jealousy.)

Also, what I like is that the series doesn't go out of its way to explain everything. The point of the anime isn't to paint a realistic picture of the world or how it functions, but rather to show the relationships and personalities of a given set of characters and how they develop.
What a prince and princess actually are, what Dios and Anthy are/were, and what Eternity/The Revolution are on a practical level were always kind of left vague, but that's perfectly fine. The anime isn't made to explain the events that occur objectively, but rather to show what they mean to each character, and that ends up being the center of the plot. What the promised power actually ends up being isn't the important part, it's what the characters are willing to do for it. What the prince actually was isn't the point. What does matter is that Utena is trying to follow her ideals of what a prince is and how that conflicts with her own desires as a human being.

I honestly think it doesn't start so well compared to the rest but the last arc is soooooo good. What other anime(particularly in the shoujo genre) reach that level?

Thanks to Hito for forcing me to watch this, went on to buy the gorgeous nozomi boxsets

Shuffle!
14e7b9447c86275ebb4aae11a04ec654.jpg

So I got through about 6 episodes so far and Rin has got himself a nice little harem already. They are all "childhood friends" so I'm not sure how this will work out, but hopefully, Kaede wins because it's like they are already married. The humor here is keeping me involved because everything else is blah. I mean, he can become a king. During our "harem talk" the other night I thought thus dude made a quick decision, but I don't know, we'll see what happens. I'm routing for wifey. The other 4 need to back off. The familiar sounding English VA's are throwing me off though, lol. Well, it's entertaining so far, but let's see if it gets good at some point..

I'm not really a fan of Harem shows, but I thought it was OK. Not great (or good for that matter) by any stretch but you could do worse.

I do I do

at least they didn't go with the expected female. beyond that I can say it was at least slightly better than I expected... but yeah it's not great lol.

Also this. I will at least give Shuffle credit for
subverting expectations with the official couple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom