• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

It's juvenile Japanese shit that I wish Japanese animators/writers would get over and either seriously address or not bother at all. It is making light of certain people.

I do understand it's a crappy word for actual real life transgendered individuals but it's such a 'trope' in anime, in how it's portrayed and dealt with, that I can't see myself getting upset over the actual nomenclature (for the medium).

I agree with this sentiment. Very feminine men or actually transgendered characters are fine. This wishy-washy fetishy zone that a lot of Japanese media fall into is just.....ugh. I at least wish it wasn't so prevalent either in number or relatively speaking.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders 46

It's safe to say the OVA wins again.

The art was more consistent and the animation WAY better in the OVA but besides those I preferred the TV series adaptation. I wish DP wasn't SO faithful so the manga as to include Super Sayian Dio though.

He still looks like a gay clown in the ova.

You really couldn't just say he looks goofy to you? You really had to go there? Really?

Narag

The art was more consistent and the animation WAY better in the OVA but besides those I preferred the TV series adaptation. I wish DP wasn't SO faithful so the manga as to include Super Sayian Dio though.

Trolling aside, I think both productions are complementary and I'm glad we got both in that not only do we have something that's almost too faithful but there's also the OVA production that changed things up and the wealth of talent involved therein.

Narag

Those Who Hunt Elves II 5

N5jTKs6l.png
Another blah episode due to the focus on Ritsuko The show's noticeably weaker when Junpei, Celcia, or that pair together aren't placed center stage. On top of it all, there was this multiple sequences where the ground was shaking for an extended period of time that was just a pain in the ass to watch due to how harsh the shuddering was in order to replicate the effect of the camera shaking.

jgminto

Shit like this makes me want to save my Cross Ange impressions for a better thread. TUSR fucked up again!!

Yes, we wouldn't want to tarnish the good name of Cross Ange.

There has been some pretty gross language in here recently though, cut it out people.

Quasar

SNAFU S2 10
Hah I ended that opening scene with Iroha with a smile on my face, damn. Good scenes with Yuki and Yui during this episode as well. That insert song was the opening from the first season right? Nice hearing it again. Lastly...Haruno is so annoying, drives me crazy!

Love Haruno :)

Link Man

Banned
SNAFU Too 10

Hmm, the Hayamas are a family friend of the Yukinoshitas, Yukino is pained to see her mother, and her mother is wearing a traditional kimono for a meeting with Hayato's family. I'm guessing arranged marriage?

Arcadius

Banned
Golden Time

Ahhhhhh!!! Thank the stars that last episode went the way it did. If it didn't, I would have been absolutely upset with the outcome; so happy it ended the way it did! /phew

Now that that's out of the way, Golden Time!

The story revolves around Tada Banri; recently graduated from high school,
he was injured in an unfortunate accident, causing all of his memories to be forgotten
. When we meet him, he's in Tokyo attending a private Law School.

With Tada Banri, we have the beautiful, intoxicatingly clingy, absolutely amazing Kaga Kouko. It's pretty easy for me to say that I love her. The clingy attribute is something I absolutely like and a girl like Kaga, just amazing really! For the rest of the cast we have Yanagisawa Mitsuo, Linda, Oka Chinami and 2D Kun. Except for 2D Kun, everyone goes through troubles and issues of their own, sometimes involving Tada Banri, other times involving other members of the gang.

I enjoyed the way the story went. Although if the last episode didn't happen like it did, I would have been absolutely infuriated with this anime; it'd be the first anime that I have serious issues with, because
happy endings
are the best endings!

The seiyu in Golden Time did a fantastic job. Aside from when Tada Banri has to scream, the seiyu do a good job. I enjoyed listening to them all and the way that they all handle certain scenes, really moving performances at times. Their ability to change expressions in their voice, really lends to the talent involved for sure, so again, amazing performance.

Unfortunately, I don't feel the same about the animation. It's the first anime I've seen where I feel like, "you know, this really isn't all that amazing". It's not bad, but I can't say it's incredible. With the animation is the art style used too, and it was okay as well. Colors used were nice, mostly vibrant with popping colors, it's very pleasing to watch. Sometimes the way scenes were animated, it made Golden Time look older than the year it was really aired in, I found that interesting.

The music in Golden Time is pretty good though. Both Endings and both Openings used are phenomenal pieces of music and I listened to them over and over and over again. The ambient sounds in Golden Time were nice, but like most anime, I was either caught up in the experience, or in this case, losing my mind over the last 4 episodes and the arc about Tada Banri that I didn't really listen to the music. Even though that may be true, I still feel like what I did hear and what was used, was very good indeed. Big props to the OP and ED though, freaking amazing.

I really enjoyed the Tea Club scenes in Golden Time, every time the Tea Club was involved, I couldn't help but just laugh out loud in hysterical fashion, they're truly funny and I'm glad they were apart some good moments. Even though I feel like the animation was lacking, there were great reaction faces and other moments in which hysterical moments were created. A lot of funny and plain out fun can be experienced watching Golden Time, so that's always a plus!

Overall, Golden Time is a good anime, though if you plan to watch it, please don't go to bed if you're reaching episode 20. Unless you like the way that type of story goes, finish the entire thing, because what they (Producers/Writers) tried to pull was awful and not needed at all. It did end the way I wanted it to and because of that (very selfish reason I know), I give this anime a huge thumbs up. All the stories told, the arcs that we go through, I feel like they're really well done. I believe thanks is in order to Death for the recommendation, no idea why people thought I would be ruined by watching this one.

Kaga Kouko <3!!

Note: Ever since I've watched Toradora!, I feel like I've seen all the anime since then (Clannad and ~After Story~ excluded). I have this strong case of déjà vu type of dreams and even though I know I've never seen things like Toraodra or Golden Time, it feels like I have because I "remember" some things about them. Pretty scary stuff, since I have trouble actually recalling the déjà vu dreams themselves.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Shokugeki no soma 10
This episode is fucking hype. AAAABS~
Yuuki no daibouken, is that chaika face in red slime?
You know what, Okuyasu should try singing the ending song.

Narag

Those Who Hunt Elves II 6

Like the Ritsuko eps, the Airi focused ones aren't too hot. I think it's mostly due to how rounadbout resolutions come due to her defining skill being acting.

hamchan

SNAFU TOO 10

Ma god, this guy has raised a flag with 3 girls now. After all this time he's finally a player.

Also I like that all it took to solve the problem was Yukino coming in and telling the guy off for being full of BS. That was pretty good.

Man, I hope Hachiman saves Yukino next ep, since that was a total "save me" look if I ever saw one at the end there. Also Hayato and Yukino's Big Sis did a crap thing by using Hachiman to lure Yukino there to meet her mother.

Thoraxes

This reminds me (although I'm sure Vito or someone else probably posted this a while back) that Studio Colorido's short from a year or so ago, Hinata no Aoshigure, is not only being shown before screenings of this film, but is also getting a lovely looking Bluray release in August.

It's horrifically expensive for a 30 minute film but it does look quite good. It also includes Paulette's Chair, the short Colorido did for noitaminA's 10th anniversary.

That I didn't know. Very cool!

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
SNAFU 10

This show is just too good. I will cry like a baby if it's fate ended up like Spice and Wolf and full metal panic. The books ended so they no longer need more anime for promotion.

Quasar

Nagato Yuki-chan 10.

Hey look at that. An episode, a Haruhi-less episode, that kept my attention.

It did certainly make me think Disappearance Yuki was gone pretty early on. If she didn't recognise people I might have thought it was amnesia. So I guess its original timeline Yuki.

Of course why that would happen from a near miss accident is another matter.

Now I feel the urge to watch some original timeline Yuki just to see how like that she is acting.

ibyea

Banned
Squid Girl 2
Memorable jokes: Squid girl drowning due to cramped tentacles and the big sister treating her like a dog.

Mushi-shi 15
Nice episode of a boy who has aggression problems and estranged from his mother due to a sickness she has that for some reason his father won't allow him to see her. Tragic part is that in some way the father blamed his mother for the kid's early almost death even though it was due to something outside her control. It was also a case of Ginko not keeping track of something he should have done regularly.

Gatchaman Crowds 1-3
First thing that is noticeable is the look of the show. It has this color palette very light color palette but at the same time it's very bright. It makes the yellow and the purple stick out somehow.

Hajime must be the most annoying but at the same time likeable protagonist time ever. She is definitely smarter than I initially gave her credit for. But gosh is she really annoying when she is annoying.
She is basically a newbie that gets introduced to the world of the Gatchaman. When not saving the world by superheroing, she is saving the world by the power of social media and collage. While being introduced to the Gatchaman stuff, she serves to introduce Sugane, the veteran, to things outside the superheroing, showing him how there is also a life outside of the stuff he does. As for the super gloomy girl, flamboyant man, and emo dude I am not feeling it.

The third episode covers the influence of that Galax social media thing in people's lives and the inventor of it. The inventor is certainly an interesting character, who created the app in order to save lives.

Gankutsuo 1-2
Count of Monte Cristo IN SPPAAACCEEEEE.

Visual is really trippy. The designs on the clothes are literally backgrounds on which the outlines move on.

This is certainly a really unique take on the tale. I mean c'mon, it's in freaking space, well the moon, but you know what I mean. This is on the perspective of Albert, who meets the charming count. Man was that one heck of a mind screw he gave Albert during the execution, and there is definitely something very wrong underneath that charm. Amazing start to the show. In the second episode Albert gets kidnapped, and his friend Franz asks the help of the count to save him. This allows the Count to get a favorable connection to Albert, and allow him to enter Paris with at least some influence via that connection.

So, I slept through the drama I started but rest assured I used the term "trap" specifically in regards to this pathetic anime trope. I won't use it again though, considering, the negative connotation.

Cornbread78

SNAFU Too 10

Hmm, the Hayamas are a family friend of the Yukinoshitas, Yukino is pained to see her mother, and her mother is wearing a traditional kimono for a meeting with Hayato's family. I'm guessing arranged marriage?

Linkman, I didn't even think about that, holy crap, Yuki's sis has been trying to help her in her out of that! It also explains Hayama's denials of the ladies, and his "I'm not the nice guy you think I am"

Oh man, talk about the twists..

SNAFU TOO 10

Ma god, this guy has raised a flag with 3 girls now. After all this time he's finally a player.

Also I like that all it took to solve the problem was Yukino coming in and telling the guy off for being full of BS. That was pretty good.

Man, I hope Hachiman saves Yukino next ep, since that was a total "save me" look if I ever saw one at the end there. Also Hayato and Yukino's Big Sis did a crap thing by using Hachiman to lure Yukino there to meet her mother.

If Linkman is right, than it all fits together perfectly. This may be Hiki's biggest task yet..

squadr0n

How is Kekkai Sensen? I tried the first episode and was intrigued but not sure if it's worth hopeing in without knowing more. I think it's called Blood Blockade Battle in English.

How is Kekkai Sensen? I tried the first episode and was intrigued but not sure if it's worth hopeing in without knowing more. I think it's called Blood Blockade Battle in English.

I got confused at the first episode so I dropped it but some people in here really seem to like it. If you enjoyed the first episode there's no reason to not watch more. See of you're still entertained when you've seen some more episodes.

Wait really? Damn time to jump on that.

Edit: do you have a link by any chance?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00VUNO2VY/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1433589921&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=steins+gate+vita&dpPl=1&dpID=61zUwofP6fL&ref=plSrch

Here's the link.

Imo its definitely worth it. The show is like your everyday Saturday morning cartoon, Superhero show, or American TV show. Its episodic by nature but it still has a plot it's just not told directly. The storytelling is basically nonlinear rather than linear and the show is packed with details.

It's basically about the organization Libra that keeps the balance in Hellsalem but there's more than that.

Linkman, I didn't even think about that, holy crap, Yuki's sis has been trying to help her in her out of that! It also explains Hayama's denials of the ladies, and his "I'm not the nice guy you think I am"

Oh man, talk about the twists..

If Linkman is right, than it all fits together perfectly. This may be Hiki's biggest task yet..

This would actually sense. Too much sense even. I'm not part of #teamYukino but if it is so, Hachi better find a way to fix it.

cajunator

Banned
Today, June 5th(still in the west anyway), is the birthday of member Hitokage.
Unfortunately he passed away rather suddenly last year. I realize he won't be able to respond to this message then but I'd still like to say Happy Birthday anyway.

For today at least, I thought it would be nice to reflect on the good memories he contributed to the thread rather than any possible bad memories or dwelling on the fact that he isn't here.

With that then, I'd like to give a big thank you to Hitokage for being one of the first to really encourage people to watch the show Ojamajo Doremi. I finally got around to it this year and have been watching it over the past few months. Currently I'm just starting into its third season/series called Mo~tto! Ojamajo Doremi. Asuka seems like she'll be a fun new addition to the cast.

I'm really enjoying the show and liked it right from the beginning. If it carries on like it has, then I think it will secure its place as being not only one of my favorite Magical Girl shows but one of my favorite in general.

I can see some of the similarities to Sailor Moon in Doremi that Hitokage pointed out, such as how Doremi and her younger sister, Pop, have echoes of the personalities and relationship that Usagi and Chibiusa had.

Sure, the shows not perfect and has some little quirks one can point out. As Hitokage himself mentioned some of the general premises of the show, such as in Sharp where you have fourth graders taking care of a baby, might seem a bit silly but they still execute on those ideas rather well overall. It's also nice that the show at least attempts to explore these more serious ideas such as the difficulty of raising a child, or one main characters family dealing with a divorce.

I see quite a few others in the thread have been watching and enjoying the show as well and I'm sure that would make him happy.

In PMs we talked about how I hadn't completed Super Mario Brothers 3 yet but I was so close and should give it another go. Just a few days ago I did complete the game and how I wanted, by going through every level of every world and not using any warps or items like the P-Wing. Unfortunately we can't talk about it more but I still wanted to give a quick "Hey, I did it" as I originally planned.

Anyway, thanks again Hitokage for telling me about some great shows I didn't know about and some fun conversations about great shows that I did. :)

RIP Hito. He was one of the good ones though we didnt always agree on things.

Oh god.
Not 11eyes.
Unless you want to watch something incredibly unintentionally funny, direct your attention elsewhere. As well as being hilarious, it is also one of the worst things I've ever watched, with great examples of a horrendous story and horrendous characters.
I guess if you just want something entertaining it should be fine, just don't get invested in the plot.

If you want unintentional comedy, go watch Chaos; Head

You just have to bear with it.

It may look ugly, but S1 is still really good and should be watched before heading into S2.

Im getting kind of impatient with waiting for the blurays. If its streaming I might aw well just start it. I havent seen this kind of reaction to a harem show in a while.

Disapointing ..good production values, but the plot left me behind... the show isn't great , but it's not bad.

Gonna be fun
74lbN3ml.png
Mana exchange is tonight in UBW ..
Unless they.....
Golden Time

Ahhhhhh!!! Thank the stars that last episode went the way it did. If it didn't, I would have been absolutely upset with the outcome; so happy it ended the way it did! /phew

Now that that's out of the way, Golden Time!

The story revolves around Tada Banri; recently graduated from high school,
he was injured in an unfortunate accident, causing all of his memories to be forgotten
. When we meet him, he's in Tokyo attending a private Law School.

With Tada Banri, we have the beautiful, intoxicatingly clingy, absolutely amazing Kaga Kouko. It's pretty easy for me to say that I love her. The clingy attribute is something I absolutely like and a girl like Kaga, just amazing really! For the rest of the cast we have Yanagisawa Mitsuo, Linda, Oka Chinami and 2D Kun. Except for 2D Kun, everyone goes through troubles and issues of their own, sometimes involving Tada Banri, other times involving other members of the gang.

I enjoyed the way the story went. Although if the last episode didn't happen like it did, I would have been absolutely infuriated with this anime; it'd be the first anime that I have serious issues with, because
happy endings
are the best endings!

The seiyu in Golden Time did a fantastic job. Aside from when Tada Banri has to scream, the seiyu do a good job. I enjoyed listening to them all and the way that they all handle certain scenes, really moving performances at times. Their ability to change expressions in their voice, really lends to the talent involved for sure, so again, amazing performance.

Unfortunately, I don't feel the same about the animation. It's the first anime I've seen where I feel like, "you know, this really isn't all that amazing". It's not bad, but I can't say it's incredible. With the animation is the art style used too, and it was okay as well. Colors used were nice, mostly vibrant with popping colors, it's very pleasing to watch. Sometimes the way scenes were animated, it made Golden Time look older than the year it was really aired in, I found that interesting.

The music in Golden Time is pretty good though. Both Endings and both Openings used are phenomenal pieces of music and I listened to them over and over and over again. The ambient sounds in Golden Time were nice, but like most anime, I was either caught up in the experience, or in this case, losing my mind over the last 4 episodes and the arc about Tada Banri that I didn't really listen to the music. Even though that may be true, I still feel like what I did hear and what was used, was very good indeed. Big props to the OP and ED though, freaking amazing.

I really enjoyed the Tea Club scenes in Golden Time, every time the Tea Club was involved, I couldn't help but just laugh out loud in hysterical fashion, they're truly funny and I'm glad they were apart some good moments. Even though I feel like the animation was lacking, there were great reaction faces and other moments in which hysterical moments were created. A lot of funny and plain out fun can be experienced watching Golden Time, so that's always a plus!

Overall, Golden Time is a good anime, though if you plan to watch it, please don't go to bed if you're reaching episode 20. Unless you like the way that type of story goes, finish the entire thing, because what they (Producers/Writers) tried to pull was awful and not needed at all. It did end the way I wanted it to and because of that (very selfish reason I know), I give this anime a huge thumbs up. All the stories told, the arcs that we go through, I feel like they're really well done. I believe thanks is in order to Death for the recommendation, no idea why people thought I would be ruined by watching this one.

Kaga Kouko <3!!
This show was really improved by the tea club , kaga kouko and 2D-kun ..
They saved this show ...

cajunator

Banned
'Twas alright.

Those CG Minotaur's looked ugly though.

I really dont understand what people are seeing in this show. Its decent enough to watch and is not really a bother, and I like Lili and Syr, but theres just a lack of excitement in it. Cant really explain it better.

Must be nice to have someone to watch anime with!

Speaking of which, I recently ran into some old friends at a recent convention and now I have two more people to watch anime with.

Are there any worthwile second seasons of shows coming this summer? I'm asking this because then I can catch up before it's too late. I kinda feel like I'm missing out this spring by not having watched SNAFU season 1 and stuff.

Non Non Biyori is already on my radar.

Quasar

Are there any worthwile second seasons of shows coming this summer? I'm asking this because then I can catch up before it's too late. I kinda feel like I'm missing out this spring by not having watched SNAFU season 1 and stuff.

Not sure if its summer but S2 of Noragami is upcoming.

There's the third season of Working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom