• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

You know, I never thought of checking out the adaptations of non-English books/books I've never heard about. It's too bad that these are fairly inaccessible, I'd probably check out at least a couple of episodes.

Yeah I'm going to start getting deeper into these types of series as soon as possible. Some amazing series are out there just waiting to be seen and I feel like I'm going on a treasure hunt :)
Hopefully none of its cursed.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 16

...Yikes!

So the Eye of Vogler.
You've seen Giant Robo before Evangelion? How the hell did that happen! :p

You've seen Giant Robo before Evangelion? How the hell did that happen! :p

It's an Imagawa show. I like his mecha works, so I decided to watch that beforehand. :p

Speaking of his shows, have you ever seen G Gundam or Shin Mazinger Z? Those are fantastic mecha shows written by him.

Well for intimacy, that had the
Asaka, sister and JB stuff explained, the Michiru kiss, but they never had anything really happen with his "girlfriend" Amano, unless I'm completely misremembering that episode
did I forget something or are you referring to the impending party upon his return to the
new school sensei just bought them with robo-sos' direction.

You're thinking too much . i was refering to the events of this episode and the last.. it's not even a spoiler that she had several plans and fail-safes in place . telling him the whole truth now would have made thing more complicated when she is just more effective at controlling pawns.

------------------
highschool Dxd Born - 09

The good :

BOOST ! BOOST ! BOOST ! BOOST ! BOOST ! BOOST ! BOOST ! BOOST ! BOOST ! BOOST ! BOOST ! BOOST ! BOOST ! BOOST ! BOOST ! BOOST ! BOOST ! BOOST !
LONGINUS SMASHER !!!
*nod*
^^ what an excellent attack

-That incredible destruction was excellent ..

-The transformation was also well done , with the spirits of the old users talking , nice nod to the books, i really liked it.
The ok :

Showing raynare curse this early, why not.

The Bad :

The underwhelming way they solved it all , compared to the books

The unescusable :

No dragon SONG ???? No dragon SONG ??? I can't.

What the heck is that ending , hopefully this week episode will have an answer.

Tuck

BBB - 10
Pretty good episode. The food subplot was quite funny. I feel like we got jipped out of an action sequence though...

Samurai Flamenco Episode 1

Is this show supposed to be like Kick Ass because it reminds me of it for some reason. Anyways we have a individual who strives to be a genuine hero however even though he has the mindset he really does lack the strength to back it up. Though it seems Goto the police officer is there to provide support in some way. It was a good episode and a nice bonus that Sugita is voicing the officer (Gintoki as a police officer��).

For anyone who has finished this series, how crazy does it get?

The show changes so many times I'm not even sure what I'd label it as. Definitely one hell of a ride.

javac

It's an Imagawa show. I like his mecha works, so I decided to watch that beforehand. :p

Speaking of his shows, have you ever seen G Gundam or Shin Mazinger Z? Those are fantastic mecha shows written by him.
Haha fair enough, it's one of the greatest OVA's I've ever seen. Not seen anything else from him sadly. Tetsujin 28-go is in my planned to watch list.

Cornbread78

You're thinking too much . i was refering to the events of this episode and the last.. it's not even a spoiler that she had several plans and fail-safes in place . telling him the whole truth now would have made thing more complicated when she is just more effective at controlling pawns.

oh, got yeah, "profess your love to him now my little puppet minions" yup, right up her alley. It's true that he was better off not knowing anything as well, good call..

Haha fair enough, it's one of the greatest OVA's I've ever seen. Not seen anything else from him sadly. Tetsujin 28-go is in my planned to watch list.

I'm in the middle of watching that, actually. It's freaking fantastic.

I highly recommend G Gundam though. It's the best Gundam show ever made because of his writing. It also has the most hilarious mecha designs in the franchise.

latest

You will never see a windmill mecha in any other anime ever.

Show by Rock 10

I'm not sure I like that the
dark spirit was used as a catalyst for Chuchu's departure but it's actually interesting to see that it was not all just magical corruption but her true feelings.
I think it would have made for a much more interesting character arc if she acted on her own accord but with the premise of evil dark spirits it fits the series's narrative.

Joining the fray too:

Samurai Flamenco 01

So this is a comedy show right? At least right now it is lol. I actually enjoyed this episode a lot, can't wait to see more.

Highschool Dxd Born - 10

OMG FILLERS

FILLERS

I hate fillers in a franchise that don't need ones.

And this mess is only because they changed so many things from the books that they need this nonsense in order to have a finale that would make sense.

FILLERS SUCKS

What a mess ..what freaking prevented them from doing the sairaog match What's the point of introducing him during this season , then ?

Cornbread78

The SNAFU2 ending is gonna break my heart. It's gonna be another bunch of years checking the charts to see something that may or may not fill the same shoes. Spoiler : it never happened with season 1. Never. Until season 2 came.

I hear ya there there is nothing coming this summer that looks even remotely as good as this season outside of all the crazy ecchi stuff, no romance or slice of life stuff at all. .

javac

I'm in the middle of watching that, actually. It's freaking fantastic.

I highly recommend G Gundam though. It's the best Gundam show ever made because of his writing. It also has the most hilarious mecha designs in the franchise.

You will never see a windmill mecha in any other anime ever.

Ha that is pretty silly :p You're right, I'll never see a windmill mech anywhere else lol. I know continuity doesn't mean much in the world of Gundam, but if I ever watch Gundam, I'm going to go through it in release order I think, but being a huge task, one that probably won't pay off in the end, with a few diamonds in the rough (if any), I have no idea when and if I'll start lol. Not a lot of good is said about Victory, but that's one that I want to watch for some reason. Just looks more up my alley. Will check G out too when I get the chance :)

jbug617

Banned
Hello!! Kin'iro Mosaic 10

First time they ever used fan service in the series? Also good description of Alice but that goes for all of them except probably Yoko.

I hear ya there there is nothing coming this summer that looks even remotely as good as this season outside of all the crazy ecchi stuff, no romance or slice of life stuff at all. .

I already got my anime of the season

"I can't believe my Hannibal show can be this good!"

mnLeJdf.png

"One day long pig-senpai will notice me"

Baalzebup

So I just basically binged all 23 available episodes of SNAFU and I have to say, this is some good shit. Maybe I'll write a proper set of impressions after the second season has finished, but right now I need sleep.

Ha that is pretty silly :p You're right, I'll never see a windmill mech anywhere else lol. I know continuity doesn't mean much in the world of Gundam, but if I ever watch Gundam, I'm going to go through it in release order I think, but being a huge task, one that probably won't pay off in the end, with a few diamonds in the rough (if any), I have no idea when and if I'll start lol. Not a lot of good is said about Victory, but that's one that I want to watch for some reason. Just looks more up my alley. Will check G out too when I get the chance :)

Yeah...you probably don't want to watch Victory. Tomino himself advises people to stay away from that one, or so I've heard.

It's best to view G Gundam as its own thing, since it's very disconnected from all the other Gundam shows in terms of...well just about everything about Gundam shows. It's more a martial arts anime with giant robots than it is an anime about real robot mecha warfare, politics, and the like. No knowledge of any other Gundam shows is needed.

Samurai Flamenco Episode 2

I didn't know bringing down justice on umbrella thieves could be so deep, that backstory though lol. I just can't help but laugh.😆 Our protagonist Hazama seems to be bring down the Iron hammer known as justice on evil. Though Goto is having some issues with people's complaints. Well it seems like Idol girl has a interest with this hero stuff considering she says "Red Axe". Anyways Samurai Flamenco is getting popular and on his way to being a true hero.

It's 2 episodes already and I'm enjoying the living crap out of this. Say what you want about Hazama's dream being cringeworthy, but goddamn is it funny. It's like the anime version of Kick Ass.

Samurai Flamenco Episode 2

I didn't know bringing down justice on umbrella thieves could be so deep, that backstory though lol. I just can't help but laugh.😆 Our protagonist Hazama seems to be bring down the Iron hammer known as justice on evil. Though Goto is having some issues with people's complaints. Well it seems like Idol girl has a interest with this hero stuff considering she says "Red Axe". Anyways Samurai Flamenco is getting popular and on his way to being a true hero.

It's 2 episodes already and I'm enjoying the living crap out of this. Say what you want about Hazama's dream being cringeworthy, but goddamn is it funny. It's like the anime version of Kick Ass.
Just finished this episode too. Then at the end he's all excited at the quiz show ahaha.

Cornbread78

I already got my anime of the season
"I can't believe my Hannibal show can be this good!"
"One day long pig-senpai will notice me"

Lol, so yeah, we got nothing but trouble this summer..

So I just basically binged all 23 available episodes of SNAFU and I have to say, this is some good shit. Maybe I'll write a proper set of impressions after the second season has finished, but right now I need sleep.

Welcome to the bandwagon, you should have grabbed Cajun on the way, lol.

So, not that you up to date, what camp are you in? #team Yui, #team Yuki or #team Iroha? Only a couple episodes left to determine who Hiki will end up with.

VRMN

So, not that you up to date, what camp are you in? #team Yui, #team Yuki or #team Iroha? Only a couple episodes left to determine who Hiki will end up with.

I've been #TeamYui since the beginning, but Iroha has swayed my allegiances. It's also unlikely that this will be decided in the scope of the anime should my understanding of where the light novels are in relation be correct.

javac

Yeah...you probably don't want to watch Victory. Tomino himself advises people to stay away from that one, or so I've heard.

It's best to view G Gundam as its own thing, since it's very disconnected from all the other Gundam shows in terms of...well just about everything about Gundam shows. It's more a martial arts anime with giant robots than it is an anime about real robot mecha warfare, politics, and the like. No knowledge of any other Gundam shows is needed.

This is his exact quote:
"I want to completely reject this work. These kind of results are the full responsibility of the director. If you should by some mistake watch this Blu-ray, try looking for what’s bad in ‘Mobile Suit V Gundam’. If even one person notices, then I believe that there will have been meaning in releasing this Blu-ray.”

I think he was depressed when it was coming out and things like Bandai buying Sunrise at the time had an effect on its production. In the end, I'm still really really interested in it, even with the knowledge that it might not be that good, I'm still more interested in it than any other Gundam series. I see people subjecting them to many bad series and movies in the anime space, maybe we all like punishing ourselves :p Stand up to the Victory! Such a cool track :)

G sounds pretty cool, I always thought that it looked dumb, but I guess I was looking at it seriously when in the end its just a silly show with windmill robots, could be fun but I have no idea if it would hold up for 49 episodes, but with your optimism, maybe the answer is yes.

Midonin

PriPara 48

Solamageddon Mi is dead. Long live Solamageddon Mi! I was thinking that Meganii and Meganee weren't autocratic technowizards, but after seeing this episode, they're just as tricky as ever. Such as failing to mention that
forming a Dream Team apparently only lasts for one performance and than resets.
Mirei is happy with it - what is it with blonde girls that start with "Mi" being bullied today? - but this throws a curveball into things. Apparently only doing a pact makes for a permanent team. So Aromageddon's days as a duo act shall continue.

Which is good, because I think the Pretty Rhythm franchise shows a good way to do drama. From all the time I've spent in the anime fandom, apparently drama is like editing. If you're noticing that you're watching it, someone's probably not doing something right. I'll disagree with this (and I have before. Loudly.), but this episode played up Mikan and Aroma's separation as earnestly as anything you'd find in Hanayamata, while still keeping everybody's quirks and having gags like Lala stuffing her hand down a goat's mouth in order to revive them.

Aroma was resorting to some crazy methods in her time off. Like posing on the roof during a thunderstorm and declaring that her friendship with Mikan was over in the most dramatic way possible. Her chuuni is on full display, but if it wasn't, she wouldn't be so endearing.

Because the birthday concert it created for her was amazing. The outfits were tacky as hell, and the cake had a giant 666 on it - seriously, something tells me Aroma and Dylan would get along just fine - but it was the most heartwarming birthday for a devil since something that probably happened in DxD.

The seasons may change and shows may come and go, but for now, PriPara is constant. Always slightly dramatic, constantly comedic (Moriwaki is amazing, I've got one of her shows lined up in my backlog) and one of the things I look forward to the most every week. Even if they have an episode about the mascots next week, I trust it can be made compelling.

This is his exact quote:

I think he was depressed when it was coming out and things like Bandai buying Sunrise at the time had an effect on its production. In the end, I'm still really really interested in it, even with the knowledge that it might not be that good, I'm still more interested in it than any other Gundam series. I see people subjecting them to many bad series and movies in the anime space, maybe we all like punishing ourselves :p Stand up to the Victory! Such a cool track :)

G sounds pretty cool, I always thought that it looked dumb, but I guess I was looking at it seriously when in the end its just a silly show with windmill robots, could be fun but I have no idea if it would hold up for 49 episodes, but with your optimism, maybe the answer is yes.

You have to go into Victory Gundam with the notion that the opening song is the most deceiving out of all anime. The happy, upbeat nature of the music completely goes against the tone for what is arguably the most violent and dark Gundam series of all. I've watched the original Gundam, Zeta, G, Victory, 00, Seed, War in the Pocket, Build Fighters, and most of Wing. Out of all of them, Victory is the most violent next to Zeta. It can go into the ridiculous at times and it has its fair share of annoying characters. However there's a lot of good to be seen in this show. The antagonists are fairly interesing in terms of motivation and actions. There's a diversity in the cast that is rare for most Gundam series. Above all else, it has some of weirdest and yet fascinating mecha designs you'll ever see and probably will never see again. If you can look past some of the mistakes and failures, you should find a fairly enjoyable series in Victory Gundam.

ibyea

Banned
Gankutsuo, or The Count of Monte Cristo IN SPAAAAACCCEEEEE 7-12
The visuals trip me out, but holy hell can it be effective at times. Too bad that the CGI can be gaudy at times.

Show becomes amazing as some of the count's machinations finally come into play. He just says the darndest thing that just sends chills in my spine. I can't help but be at awe the way he just slowly tortures all the families involved bit by bit, dangling their dark secrets over them and in the case of Helouise Villefort pushing her to act on her unhappiness and murder her step daughter. Show is just excellent at building up dread. Poor kids are wrapped up in situations they have no control over, at least they are much better as people than their scumbag parents.

VRMN

Is Princess Precure shit or not shit?

I think the answer depends on your willingness to put up with standard Precure bullshit. If your tolerance for being marketed to with a thinly disguised 24 minute ad for little girls' toys is high enough that you've watched a Precure to completion...it's pretty good.

Most people don't have that tolerance though. I can't do much in the way of comparing it to past seasons, but I think I like it more than Happiness Charge at this stage, which I didn't think picked up until its second half (and then kind of ruined its own momentum with shifting all the focus to the season's Pink).

Cornbread78

I've been #TeamYui since the beginning, but Iroha has swayed my allegiances. It's also unlikely that this will be decided in the scope of the anime should my understanding of where the light novels are in relation be correct.

Damn.. I've heard we are going to have to wait for a S3 to finish the story per see, but we'll see how they end this season before we look ahead. I'very been #teamYui for awhile now, but after that look he sent Iroha's way at the XMAS party, I don't know anymore. However, #team Yuki makes the most sense for him and would be a great match..

-----------------

Oh up to ep.10 of Shuffle, the comedy is waning and the angst is in, I'm starting to hate how I feel for all the other girls in this screw the Goddess chick, seriously, I know she's got the all-star VA that did Tiaga, but Kaede is the one and she's getting porker the most here. This is dumb write-up incoming in 2 more episodes, but I has to vent real quick just because.

And you haven't even started the real Samurai Flamenco yet.

Just watched episode 4, and I'm calling it a night. Flamenco girl just joined the fray and things are getting out of hand. I feel like even though everything is over the top, so far it all seems "normal" by anime standards. Guess I need to delve further in. Tomorrow!

Midonin

I think the answer depends on your willingness to put up with standard Precure bullshit. If your tolerance for being marketed to with a thinly disguised 24 minute ad for little girls' toys is high enough
I watch that entire Super Hero Time block every week, the fact that it's a toy commercial isn't even on my radar.

And on that note, Miyukichi was the Monster of the Week in this week's Ninninger.

Pixiv has, naturally, been having a field day with this.

yami4ct

Just found out that my local theater is not only getting When Marnie Was There, but is also doing a huge Ghibli series in July. They'll be playing Mononoke, Totoro, Spirited Away and (sort of bizarrely) The Cat Returns. Really excited to see Totoro and Mononoke in the theater for the first time and to see Spirited Away agin. Not sure if I want to drag myself to the theater for The Cat Returns. That film is fun and sort of interesting, but such an odd cap to that film series.

This is his exact quote:

Man, that's harsh. Haha. I actually sort of like Victory. There's a lot to dislike about it, but I think there's something redeeming in how damn bleak it is. As dumb as most of the show is, I feel like that bleakness sort of captures the morale of the kind of war the show is portraying. That and the action is pretty fun and it's got some amazing mech designs.

Samurai Flamenco Episode 3

Well that's a unique way to end a match between the fake and real Samurai Flamenco. Didn't think Red Axe would cry while giving Hazama a hug. All of which was to test Hazama's potential. Also I laughed at that scene where Gota says it feels good acting like a hero. It seems like Idol girl has already figured out that guy on the roof top wasn't the real Samurai Flamenco.

I gotta say Hazama is really lucky to have a manger like Ishihara, she's definitely a looker.😏

Kikirin

Romeo no Aoi Sora (Romeo's Blue Skies)

Nice review! Your impressions and passionate reactions while watching the series has definitely inspired me to keep an eye out for it. I'm not sure when I'll get to watching it, but I would like to someday do so.

CorvoSol

You can either watch Tomino's terrible despair porn about literal feminazis tryin' to rape a small boy for 50 episodes or you can watch the best show in the entire series.

yami4ct

You can either watch Tomino's terrible despair porn about literal feminazis tryin' to rape a small boy for 50 episodes or you can watch the best show in the entire series.

If the choice is between G and Victory, the choice is obvious. G is fantastic. It's not the best Gundam show overall, but it's one everyone should watch. Victory is just more of a interesting curiosity you should watch once you've seen all the must-watch shows.

For #team Yuki

qzz6wj5.gif

very cute couple.

Honestly I don't want to be a buzz kill but 8man and Yukino would make a terrible couple. The reason I say this is because both have a cynical personality which would collide and not make a healthy relationship and in some ways strain it. They would make great friends but as a couple it's just not right, it feels too meh.

I prefer Yui because her personality seems like something 8man needs not one that's cynical which he also carries himself. He needs someone to provide him something genuine which out of all the girls Yui is the most. Yui wants to personally help guide 8man from his personal suffering. Plus I believe she would be a great mom if she were to get with 8man.

When you give a summary like that people are obviously gonna pick the former out of curiosity.

CorvoSol

Stop, you're making me morbidly curious about Victory.

Do you like bubbletape?

Would you like to see bubbletape touted as an army's most powerful weapon?

And would you like to hear that proclamation made in the same breath as a boast about scarin' women and children?

If the choice is between G and Victory, the choice is obvious. G is fantastic. It's not the best Gundam show overall, but it's one everyone should watch. Victory is just more of a interesting curiosity you should watch once you've seen all the must-watch shows.

I think I'd only pick Victory if the alternative was AGE or 00 S2. I'd watch Stardust Memory sooner than I would Victory. It's hard to like it when so much of it feels like pointless UC retreads peppered with rape and the most bizarre politics in the entire Universal Century. Even Char's insane plan in CCA makes more sense than whatever Zanscare wanted.

And all this is without commentin' on the terrible mechanical designs. V2 and EZ are all Victory really had. Marbet's the only person worth savin' from the series. Marbet and maybe, just maaaaybe Uso. Maybe. If he could have a new VA.

For #team Yuki

qzz6wj5.gif

very cute couple.

Did you defect? Wow man. Wow. I thought we were #TeamYui bros.

:(

Honestly I don't want to be a buzz kill but 8man and Yukino would make a terrible couple. The reason I say this is because both have a cynical personality which would collide and not make a healthy relationship and in some ways strain it. They would make great friends but as a couple it's just not right, it feels too meh.

I prefer Yui because her personality seems like something 8man needs not one that's cynical which he also carries himself. He needs someone to provide him something genuine which out of all the girls Yui is the most. Yui wants to personally help guide 8man from his personal suffering. Plus I believe she would be a great mom if she were to get with 8man.

Yup. Yukino is too much like him. I cant imagine that relationship lasting that long.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
SNAFU Too 10
Nice conclusion to Christmas festival arc. Sick burn from Yukinoshita to jazz hand. And boy, this episode will rile up fans OTP. And hey, Hachiman finally get something genuine. A tea cup. That's a great improvement from paper cup.

yami4ct

Do you like bubbletape?

Would you like to see bubbletape touted as an army's most powerful weapon?

And would you like to hear that proclamation made in the same breath as a boast about scarin' women and children?

I think I'd only pick Victory if the alternative was AGE or 00 S2. I'd watch Stardust Memory sooner than I would Victory. It's hard to like it when so much of it feels like pointless UC retreads peppered with rape and the most bizarre politics in the entire Universal Century. Even Char's insane plan in CCA makes more sense than whatever Zanscare wanted.

And all this is without commentin' on the terrible mechanical designs. V2 and EZ are all Victory really had. Marbet's the only person worth savin' from the series. Marbet and maybe, just maaaaybe Uso. Maybe. If he could have a new VA.

Well Age, 00 S2 and Seed Destiny are absolute trash with almost no redeeming qualities. I'd almost put Stardust Memories in there, but the animation is so good as to be worth watching just for that. Victory has some interesting bits that can be appreciated, if you can get past the copious amount of terrible shit. Also, I actually like most of the non-ship Mechanical Designs. Victory 2 is obviously in GOAT territory, but the original V, V-Hexa and some of the grunt units are pretty cool looking.

Narag

Well Age, 00 S2 and Seed Destiny are absolute trash with almost no redeeming qualities. I'd almost put Stardust Memories in there, but the animation is so good as to be worth watching just for that. Victory has some interesting bits that can be appreciated, if you can get past the copious amount of terrible shit. Also, I actually like most of the non-ship Mechanical Designs. Victory 2 is obviously in GOAT territory, but the original V, V-Hexa and some of the grunt units are pretty cool looking.

0083 is best experienced via MAD compilations on youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom