• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

0083 is best experienced via MAD compilations on youtube.

Eh, 0083 is short enough that you can just watch it for the eye candy.

Aside from CCA, 0083 is possibly the most wasted potential in Gundam history. There's so many cool things here. Not only is the animation great, but you have the first potential for a nuclear attack in the UC timeline we've seen. That should add amazing drama. You also have a cool black-ops mech concept and the rise of the Titans, a part of UC history that should be fascinating. Instead, what we got was.....0083.

yami4ct

I'll watch 0083, F91 and Victory someday.

I'll probably prioritize them over something better too

God, F91 needs to go on the irredeemable shit list. It's so bad. Ugly mech designs and an awful story that clearly tries to squeeze a whole series worth of content into one film.

yami4ct

At that point just watch Last Blitz of Zeon and skip all the horseshit like Kou and his carrots.

I suffered through the actual OVA, but yeah the compilation is probably the way to do it.

F91 is basically a MAD since it's pretty, short, and doesn't make any sense

it's really really pretty though

It's not even that pretty, though. The mechanical designs are such shit and ruin the action. The last boss is a freaking mechanical flower.

CorvoSol

I suffered through the actual OVA, but yeah the compilation is probably the way to do it.

It's not even that pretty, though. The mechanical designs are such shit and ruin the action. The last boss is a freaking mechanical flower.

00's last boss IS a flower, sooooo

yami4ct

00's last boss IS a flower, sooooo

00 (aside from Season 1) is also irredeemable shit, so F91 has good company. At least some of the movie designs and most of the S2 mech designs are decent, though. F91 doesn't even have that going for it. It has the dumb mini-gundam with the flip up mouth vent.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Stop, you're making me morbidly curious about Victory.

LvX6EkBl.jpg
VjdIgkVl.jpg

JfMBU6zl.jpg
YA0mV8Ql.jpg

yami4ct

I hope Narag finds the few good things I like about Victory and articulates them better than I. Yes, it's bad, but it's bad in an interesting way. I don't want to rewatch a 50 episode show to brush up on the specifics, though.

Clov

Things I remember about Gundam F91: the grunt mobile suits with the goggles looked really cool, there was a guy that had a Darth Vader-esque helmet, and it's literally the only anime that put my fiance to sleep. I'd never seen something actually bore somebody to sleep before, but this did it.

Also, I had totally forgotten about that Victory Gundam scene with the ice cream, and now I can't stop laughing. On a side note the show is pretty terrible and not worth anybody's time, even if you're limiting yourself to just Gundam anime. I might not be the greatest judge when it comes to Gundam though, since I do like CCA.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
When you guys put it that way:

Victory Gundam 1

I've got a good feeling about this one!

Katejina's Tomino game strong from the very first episode.

i remember the good ol days of you live tweeting your gundam watches. madp ;_;7

There's no other experience quite like downing the entire UC saga in all of its mind-scrambling spectacle in the span of a month, that's for sure.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Things I remember about Gundam F91: the grunt mobile suits with the goggles looked really cool, there was a guy that had a Darth Vader-esque helmet, and it's literally the only anime that put my fiance to sleep. I'd never seen something actually bore somebody to sleep before, but this did it.

Cosmo Babylonia suit designs getting wasted on F91 is one of the biggest tragedies in UC. Shame whoever was in charge of suit design for Victory looked at them and went "this is okay, but I could improve them by making them all LOOK LIKE MOSQUITOES"

yami4ct

Also, I had totally forgotten about that Victory Gundam scene with the ice cream, and now I can't stop laughing. On a side note the show is pretty terrible and not worth anybody's time, even if you're limiting yourself to just Gundam anime. I might not be the greatest judge when it comes to Gundam though, since I do like CCA.

As long as I'm unilaterally making quality judgments about Gundam shows, fuck CCA. The fact that that show ends the Char/Amuro story makes me so much more angry about it than the quality alone. To list my thoughts out.

Must Watch:
Turn A Gundam
0079 (Actually, just read The Origin)
Zeta
08th MS Team
War in The Pocket
G

Pretty Good:
Build Fighters/Fighters Try
SEED
00 Season 1

I really like this, but don't know why
Gundam X

OK:
Reconguista
Unicorn

Sort of Shit:
Wing (Glory of the losers raises it up to pretty good, though)
ZZ

Interesting Shit:
Victory

Get the fuck out:
F91
SEED Destiny
00 S2 and Movie
Special Place in Hell:
CCA

yami4ct

0083 deserves a special place in hell too, dawg.

0083 doesn't actively ruin iconic age old characters and shit on years of storytelling. 0083 is not good, but at worst it just wastes some good concepts. CCA is actively insulting to anyone invested in the UC story.

CorvoSol

As long as I'm unilaterally making quality judgments about Gundam shows, fuck CCA. The fact that that show ends the Char/Amuro story makes me so much more angry about it than the quality alone. To list my thoughts out.

Must Watch:
Turn A Gundam
0079 (Actually, just read The Origin)
Zeta
08th MS Team
War in The Pocket
G

Pretty Good:
Build Fighters/Fighters Try
SEED
00 Season 1

I really like this, but don't know why
Gundam X

OK:
Reconguista
Unicorn

Sort of Shit:
Wing (Glory of the losers raises it up to pretty good, though)
ZZ

Interesting Shit:
Victory

Get the fuck out:
F91
SEED Destiny
00 S2 and Movie
Special Place in Hell:
CCA

I'm mostly okay with this, except I'd swap ZZ and 8th MS, but we all know I'm biased toward ZZ. 08th MS was ok but then it fell apart in the final act. Also I really do not like X at all. It's like if Eureka Seven was written on the fly and really dull it'd be X. X has an awesome premise and awful execution. I'd probably also swap 00 S1 for Unicorn. I saw 00 S1 recently and while I hate it less now, I'm still not terribly keen.

yami4ct

Know what really sucks? GBF Try.

Eh, Try is fine. It just suffers from following up a surprise hit everyone liked. Because it could no longer surprise and everyone adored the first season, it couldn't live up to it. It also doesn't help that it's worse than S1, but if you divorce it from those expectations it's fine. It also suffers from setting up a far more interesting story for another season/ova and holds back a ton of interesting content because of that.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
0083 doesn't actively ruin iconic age old characters and shit on years of storytelling. 0083 is not good, but at worst it just wastes some good concepts. CCA is actively insulting to anyone invested in the UC story.

Christina Mackenzie probably died in the nuclear strike on the Federation fleet.
There, managed to ruin something.

yami4ct

Christina Mackenzie probably died in the nuclear strike on the Federation fleet.
There, managed to ruin something.

But she isn't Char Aznable, one of the most iconic and influential anime villains/anti-hero of perhaps ever. Then again, this is just a debate over what shit is worse so no matter who wins, we lose.

Narag

Eh, Try is fine. It just suffers from following up a surprise hit everyone liked. Because it could no longer surprise and everyone adored the first season, it couldn't live up to it. It also doesn't help that it's worse than S1, but if you divorce it from those expectations it's fine. It also suffers from setting up a far more interesting story for another season/ova and holds back a ton of interesting content because of that.

Nothing excuses Yuuma being a little shit. Nothing. Remember my post when I'm extra salty down the line when he beats Meijin Kawaguchi III in the world tournament or some shit.

CorvoSol

Hey, Yuuma won the Artistic Gunpla Contest. He earned everything

I don't understand how he did when his best idea was "lemme make a Zeta clone into a Zeta."

Meanwhile Sakai's like "FUCK YES I'LL MAKE A SUPER ROBOT ZZ AND ALSO LEARN ABOUT TRUE FRIENDShIP SO I CAN POWER IT."

Try teaches you that true friendship does not save the day.

It was worse than that. And I'm someone who thinks the writing for the first GBF fell apart in the 2nd half.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Is Princess Precure shit or not shit?

It's boring and safe. Dezaki/Utena homages are paper-thin, supporting cast has no presence and ghettoized to designated episodes, it's already shitting the bed with the annual villain conversion, rampant QUALITY. Pure stagnation.

yami4ct

It was worse than that. And I'm someone who thinks the writing for the first GBF fell apart in the 2nd half.

That's totally true. I find the bad shit in Try better than the
alternate dimension
mcguffin shit of S1, however. That and the endless build knuckle are inexcusable. The fights in Try were at least a bit more interesting.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
still mad about gyanko jobbing and i didnt even bother starting the second half

Even with the endless torrent of horseshit that was the national tournament, the corny scene where Gyanko loses and Sekai loses his shit that plays out like an actual death scene is still the most fuckawful moment in Try.

wonzo

Banned
Even with the endless torrent of horseshit that was the national tournament, the corny scene where Gyanko loses and Sekai loses his shit that plays out like an actual death scene is still the most fuckawful moment in Try.
the only good thing to come from try was mini-bearguy and at this rate they'll fuck even that up if theres another season

Narag

Victory Gundam 3

This one was kinda cool but I still don't get why this just wasn't episode 2 instead of 3 as the lead-in's by Shakti are just sort of weird and makes for awkward chronology.

I really should watch more Gundam at some point (Just Wing, Seed and some random tidbits of whatever ran on Toonami that wasn't Seed or Wing). Sadly I know myself and my random habit of stopping a lot of animes right before the end and never finishing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom