• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
ninja slayer 5

i can appreciate this was all keyframed by one dude but this (and the overall tone of the show) aren't why i bothered with it in the first place. dunno if i can bring myself to watch any more either tbh

jediyoshi

new euph pv https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZC_QIo3A44

you'll never guess who these two are

pKOxiec.png

yami4ct

I really should watch more Gundam at some point (Just Wing, Seed and some random tidbits of whatever ran on Toonami that wasn't Seed or Wing). Sadly I know myself and my random habit of stopping a lot of animes right before the end and never finishing them.

Even if you don't ever touch any Gundam ever again, I highly recommend reading The Origin. It's the best version of 0079 and not only is it amazing, but 0079 is a pretty seminal mecha show so it's worth it for the historical value. The Origin is probably the best single thing Gundam has to offer anyway.

yami4ct

get ready for JIGEN HAOH RYU: KUMA TATSUMAKI SENBONZAKURA-KEN or some shit

It's still better than "Build Knuckllllllle!" (Other suit disintegrates). At least Try has more than one super move. The battles in S1 post Star Build were almost unwatchable because of that crap.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon S: Episode 112:

Right then, after some world shaking events we are back to formula and it is time to establish the changes to the regular occurrences, such as a new point girl for the Daimon to follow and what we get is Mememte. I will be honest and say Memete is a huge downgrade from either Euidal or Kalonite as her overly bubbly attitude that is prone to easy and petty distractions combined with her obnoxious voice makes for a villain that s hard to take seriously. Anyway, the dynamics of the situation have shifted since the Holy Grail has appeared and now in the possession of Sailor Moon. However since she is having problems using the grail and we got to contrive reasons to extend the hunt, the focus is now finding the Messiah, the one ordained to be able to use the powers of the Holy Grail properly. Also The Outers are still working as independent agents for reasons. Nothing stated but if I had to guess it is because they don't like The Inners very much. Let me see, we also get the the debut of Sailor Pluto's Death Scream Attack, the new final move for Sailor Moon and most importantly Chibi-Usa meeting a new friend named Hotaru. Outside of that this episode was petty generic and forgettable. Mildest recommendation to watch.

wonzo

Banned
ninja slayer 6-8

still watching more out of sheer curiosity as to where this goes next but i really don't know why. it's schizophrenic and not in the good "tomino" way but in a bad, incompetent manner. it tries to do all the dark edgy revenge plot mixed alongside the intentionally shitty flash tweening at the same time but neither really work well at all together. inferno cop comparatively worked perfectly because it never deviated from the latter and established the batshit insane tone for the whole run within the first two eps.

it really pains me to say this but this would be so much better if it dropped the flash tweening and opted to go for that ironic garbage early digital aughts feel in another less tonally dissonant manner (and no, those viewstar subs try way too hard a la those duwang inspired jojo subs from way abck which got real old real quick)

then again this is probably all just alcohol driven post-hoc rationalisation of trash because i really like the op and i wished the show was able to tonally match the nice flow of it in a consistent manner :(

CorvoSol

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon S: Episode 112:

Right then, after some world shaking events we are back to formula and it is time to establish the changes to the regular occurrences, such as a new point girl for the Daimon to follow and what we get is Mememte. I will be honest and say Memete is a huge downgrade from either Euidal or Kalonite as her overly bubbly attitude that is prone to easy and petty distractions combined with her obnoxious voice makes for a villain that s hard to take seriously. Anyway, the dynamics of the situation have shifted since the Holy Grail has appeared and now in the possession of Sailor Moon. However since she is having problems using the grail and we got to contrive reasons to extend the hunt, the focus is now finding the Messiah, the one ordained to be able to use the powers of the Holy Grail properly. Also The Outers are still working as independent agents for reasons. Nothing stated but if I had to guess it is because they don't like The Inners very much. Let me see, we also get the the debut of Sailor Pluto's Death Scream Attack, the new final move for Sailor Moon and most importantly Chibi-Usa meeting a new friend named Hotaru. Outside of that this episode was petty generic and forgettable. Mildest recommendation to watch.

As crummy as Mimet is, she's better than her two ultra rushed successors.

Course most of S is jumbled bullshit anyway, so bein' better than anyone means very little.

Except the Professor and hotaru. They deserve to be in a season better than the filth that is S.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dragon Ball Z, and its countless iterations continue to drive Funi to make money. They tend to get most of the shows that were profitable (Viz has Bleach, Naruto, and Sailor Moon and little else), so they end up being the ones to benefit from disc sales. However, disc sales are dropping for average titles (despite the bias Sevakis shows in his articles), which is why they're pushing their simuldubs to the detriment of their other licenses in order to capture streaming numbers.

The Funimation staff on ANNCast are the high executives in charge of marketing. They will spin anything to sound positive on their company because it's what they've spent their career doing. They are above the rest, so they don't have to play politics anymore. Anything said on those podcasts is not worth the salt you have to take it with.

(It sounds like I'm negative, but these are the facts you have to take the R1 industry with.)
The simuldub thing is probably the only advantage they seem to have nowadays. If the industry moves into a direction where every site gets to stream every show, that'll be the way they differentiate themselves from CR I guess. And there are still people who like dubs.

And, I'm sure the guys they have on are more than happy to play ball. But if all these connections and accusations are true, what little respect I had for Zac has diminished even further - especially since he grilled Viz about the Sailor Moon BDs. At the very least, there's a way to talk about how the company is connected to a conservative Christian direct to DVD movie company, if not all the grievances of former employees.

Yeah I'm going to start getting deeper into these types of series as soon as possible. Some amazing series are out there just waiting to be seen and I feel like I'm going on a treasure hunt :)
Hopefully none of its cursed.
If nothing else, it's an easy way to discover new books.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon S: Episode 113:

Right, anybody who wants to tell me that this season is a jumbled mess of bullshit can go ahead and suffer through Sailor Moon R and kindly walk through the door. This season has been the best of the three so far re-observed and besides every season is a jangled mess of manga material and anime only directions. That leads me me to this episode which is actually adapted from the manga pretty wholesale save the usual monster of the week and anime elements. Still, to add to the jangled mess motif, in the manga all of these scenes we from fairly early in the Infinity Arc while hear they are located at the latter portions of the season. For example the meeting between Endimyion and The Outeers is pretty on point right up until they give the rationale for not working with The Inners. In the manga, well, it is a quite complicated affair tying into the backstory related here and also the tragic and dark action that The Outers feel they must enact. That interplay is one of my favorite parts of Infinity while here it is simplified and altered because of the change in narrative location and structure. As said n the last review it really does come down to The Outers disliking Sailor Moon, which is completely understandable given the Sailor Moon we are talking about here. Less understandable is the perception that The Inners lack the power to stand up to the Death Busters since they should know by now that The Inners are quite capable and since they all have the same goal now, combining powers makes all the much more logical sense especially since they all end up teaming up anyway. Likewise Usagi and Chibi-Usa heading to the Tomoe mansion and unwittingly meeting their arch-enemies is also from the manga and curiously they included the bits with the Silver Crystal, which is an important part of all of the arcs of Sailor Moon manga but has been pretty much forgotten in the S season. I wonder if this will change? Anyway, mildest recommendation to watch.

Cornbread78

Damn.. I've heard we are going to have to wait for a S3 to finish the story per see, but we'll see how they end this season before we look ahead. I'very been #teamYui for awhile now, but after that look he sent Iroha's way at the XMAS party, I don't know anymore. However, #team Yuki makes the most sense for him and would be a great match..

Did you defect? Wow man. Wow. I thought we were #TeamYui bros.

:(

Yup. Yukino is too much like him. I cant imagine that relationship lasting that long.

Nope still # TeamYui but...

Cornbread78

Honestly I don't want to be a buzz kill but 8man and Yukino would make a terrible couple. The reason I say this is because both have a cynical personality which would collide and not make a healthy relationship and in some ways strain it. They would make great friends but as a couple it's just not right, it feels too meh.

I prefer Yui because her personality seems like something 8man needs not one that's cynical which he also carries himself. He needs someone to provide him something genuine which out of all the girls Yui is the most. Yui wants to personally help guide 8man from his personal suffering. Plus I believe she would be a great mom if she were to get with 8man.

I know, the whole opposites attract theory, but I don't know. I'm a team Yui guy and all, but for some reason I can see Hiki and Yuki side by side helping each other become better people together, then ultimately, better lovers since they understand each other the best.

This month's issue of CompAce will have a "serious announcement" regarding Nichijou. Given that the manga runs in Shounen Ace, this is likely it moving to that magazine or something to do with the anime.

I hope it's manga related, we don't need more Nichijou anime. Though maybe a different staff that understands humor and how it is constructed could do a better job. It'd be difficult do worse than the aliens who made the first anime series.

This month's issue of CompAce will have a "serious announcement" regarding Nichijou. Given that the manga runs in Shounen Ace, this is likely it moving to that magazine or something to do with the anime.

When is the exact release date of that issue. I'm already hyping myself up
for the inevitable dissapointment

I hope it's manga related, we don't need more Nichijou anime. Though maybe a different staff that understands humor and how it is constructed could do a better job.

What? This is just the wrong opinion

cajunator

Banned
Stupid question, but when you buy the BDs, do they play each episode with a break in-between, or are the episodes edited to play straight through like a long movie?

You have an option. Typically I just watch episode by episode so it doesnt continue.

The character art has a very different look. I've never seen seen anything quite like it. Are the characters CG or is there something else that makes them look like that?

Anyway, it's ufotable. I intrinsically trust them to deliver something that looks great.

Oh wow. I really like this look. It has some detailed shading that would make Otaking proud.

That front page is from Shounen Ace, not Comp Ace.

Ah, you are correct. The JP text alongside the pic said CompAce and the actual Japanese in the image just has "ace", so I went with what the JP post said. I tend to ignore the actual English in JP images now for better or for worse.

Mandelbo

I can't just sit idly by and watch Nichijou get insulted like that. Nichijou is one of the best things ever and it is an utter crime that it's so hard to watch it now. How it got so badly neglected is beyond me :C

I remember the second half of Nichijou being much funnier than the first half. In fact when I watched Nichijou I accidentally started with an episode from the second half and found it really funny. Without that sneak peak I might not have made it through the first half.

As a whole I think it's a very enjoyable experience and I remember it fondly. I still watch the occasional clip on youtube.

sonicmj1

Eh, Try is fine. It just suffers from following up a surprise hit everyone liked. Because it could no longer surprise and everyone adored the first season, it couldn't live up to it. It also doesn't help that it's worse than S1, but if you divorce it from those expectations it's fine. It also suffers from setting up a far more interesting story for another season/ova and holds back a ton of interesting content because of that.

At this point I'm not sure how anything involving that main trio could be interesting.

Build knuckle solving everything was a better G Gundam homage than the Build Burning itself.

Yes!

It has MIYUKICHI in it so it's the best Precure since Heartcatch by default.
Holy shit I agree with Zach for once.

I would have liked Try more if it felt like they actually earned the wins in their fights and there was a whole lot less Dragonball Z style power-ups and super moves. At one point I was waiting for Sekai to start channeling everyone's spirit energy. (Which he probably did at some point and I forgot it.) I freaking hate gundams with superpowers rather than the pilots just being really good.

Defuser

I like how people change priorities when each episode of euphonium passes by.

*Starting of Euphonium*

"This show is awesome because it reminds me when I was in the band back then, production is superb and story is good!!"

*Middle of Euphonium*

"Yuri!! Awesome!! The only reason I watch this show!!and uhhhhhhh something about production uhhhhhhh.....did I say yuri? Awesome!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom