• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like how people change priorities when each episode of euphonium passes by.

*Starting of Euphonium*

"This show is awesome because it reminds me when I was in the band back then, production is superb and story is good!!"

*Middle of Euphonium*

"Yuri!! Awesome!! The only reason I watch this show!!and uhhhhhhh something about production uhhhhhhh.....did I say yuri? Awesome!!"

To be fair, I'm not certain it's the same people.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 42

Julian is the worst. He's basically this show's Wesley Crusher. It's sad that I know he won't die anytime soon.

I'm pretty certain it's not the same people and no one needs these shoddy, pointless generalizations anyways, especially when they've been made plenty times beforehand.
If you put it that way, then you're absolutely right.

javac

I find it funny and fascinating all the same how me bringing up Victory lead to a little discussion, including somebody starting it lol, I guess I won't flatter myself too much :p

On a 'serious' note, I think...that in regards to a series like Victory I was fully aware that it was going to be a weird, depressing and an overall strange series, the black sheep of the Gundam series if you will, and I was also fully aware that the intro was merely a ruse, a trope of anime, the simple bait and switch. People telling me not to watch it would generally convince me more to watch it, but I think that...after what I said earlier about my emotions getting the better of me, I think that for once I'll take a deep breath and do the right thing and not watch Victory. Once I took a deep breath I realized that it would be silly to watch a 50 episode series that isn't very good, and that I in actuality have far far better things to watch. I'm not the one to avoid watching something just because somebody told me it was bad, loving to form my own opinion for myself, but at the same time I'm not the one to subject myself to crap as a means to act SHOCKED when the show goes to shit, just to get lol reactions from people here. I guess in the end I just don't care for Gundam. I love mecha, so maybe that's sacrilegious, but it just looks really boring and tedious, with a million different series and hundreds of episodes. I guess I'll just stick to my OVA's. Maybe I'd actually enjoy Victory, hell it's the only Gundam that interests me at all, and maybe one day I'd watch it, again if anything just to form my own opinion, because like schrodinger's cat, its nether alive nor dead until I observe it for myself, but for now...
SRiXL8c.gif
The intro is still good.
I hope everyone's proud of me :)
Nice review! Your impressions and passionate reactions while watching the series has definitely inspired me to keep an eye out for it. I'm not sure when I'll get to watching it, but I would like to someday do so.
Thank you, I'm glad that you liked my review, it means a lot :) No need to watch it anytime soon on my behalf, I'm just glad that you're considering it, if you do get around to it, I'd love to hear your impressions :)

Theonik

I like how people change priorities when each episode of euphonium passes by.

*Starting of Euphonium*

"This show is awesome because it reminds me when I was in the band back then, production is superb and story is good!!"

*Middle of Euphonium*

"Yuri!! Awesome!! The only reason I watch this show!!and uhhhhhhh something about production uhhhhhhh.....did I say yuri? Awesome!!"
The hounds have smelled blood. Their lust cannot be contained.

Kansoku

I hope it's manga related, we don't need more Nichijou anime. Though maybe a different staff that understands humor and how it is constructed could do a better job. It'd be difficult do worse than the aliens who made the first anime series.

There's being wrong and there's being disgustingly wrong.

phaze

There's being wrong and there's being disgustingly wrong.

None of which is thankfully the case here.

I watched 1, or perhaps I persevered through 2 entire episodes of this show and I found it painfully unfunny and gruesomely boring. I don't feel like this short time is enough for me to judge the whole series but if it retains that level through the rest of its run then yikes.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Nichijou anime have great animation, but unfortunately, i didn't find the joke to be funny... I've tried manga version as well, and yeah, didn't like it either. Cachy opening song though. Hyadain is awesome

CorvoSol

I find it funny and fascinating all the same how me bringing up Victory lead to a little discussion, including somebody starting it lol, I guess I won't flatter myself too much :p

On a 'serious' note, I think...that in regards to a series like Victory I was fully aware that it was going to be a weird, depressing and an overall strange series, the black sheep of the Gundam series if you will,

No, see, Victory is awful, but I'm sorry to say that makes it part of the rule, not the exception.

On a 'serious' note, I think...that in regards to a series like Victory I was fully aware that it was going to be a weird, depressing and an overall strange series, the black sheep of the Gundam series if you will, and I was also fully aware that the intro was merely a ruse, a trope of anime, the simple bait and switch. People telling me not to watch it would generally convince me more to watch it, but I think that...after what I said earlier about my emotions getting the better of me, I think that for once I'll take a deep breath and do the right thing and not watch Victory. Once I took a deep breath I realized that it would be silly to watch a 50 episode series that isn't very good, and that I in actuality have far far better things to watch. I'm not the one to avoid watching something just because somebody told me it was bad, loving to form my own opinion for myself, but at the same time I'm not the one to subject myself to crap as a means to act SHOCKED when the show goes to shit, just to get lol reactions from people here. I guess in the end I just don't care for Gundam. I love mecha, so maybe that's sacrilegious, but it just looks really boring and tedious, with a million different series and hundreds of episodes. I guess I'll just stick to my OVA's. Maybe I'd actually enjoy Victory, hell it's the only Gundam that interests me at all, and maybe one day I'd watch it, again if anything just to form my own opinion, because like schrodinger's cat, its nether alive nor dead until I observe it for myself, but for now...

Just watch 0080 and 8th MS Team then if you want to stick to OVAs, they only make passing references to the main series anyway. Also I'm not sure how you can say that watching one 50-ish episode series is tedious when you've just finished up a 33 episode series just now.

As for you not watching Victory, well it's a divisive series much like the majority of Gundam series. It's one of the weaker ones for sure though (to the point that Tomino is telling fans to avoid it even though it's getting re-released on BD soon).

You should give it a chance since you are at least curious as to what it's like. If you want to give your own opinion on a series, why not just do that!

It's pretty amazing how even the most dedicated Gundam fans hate 90% of Gundam.

It's 10% great, 20% good, 50% average and 20% terrible.

Cornbread78

A Dark Rabbit has Seven Lives ep.1-6
I'm still not sure how or why this one ended up on my list, maybe it was a "romance" recomendation, but my my, this onw, is... ummm; Interesting? Really though, a normal school kid, Taito, with an awesome childhood friend, Haruka, (super cutie)
goes to school then gets plowed by a truck saving someone and his head goes rolling, then the $hit starts really going downhill from there. Taito starts having flashback of another childhood friend:
who is actually a vampire chick that gave him immortality, but it's not as easy as that... Total mind-fu(k ensues with battles with spells, witches, death, murder, love, etc. The cute childhood friend is now put on the backburner (because they always lose) and his new love is this vampire chick that he is "trying to protect," but she is also a witch that will destroy the world eventually, uggh, my brain hurts trying to follow this one. Well, it's bloody, brutal, a little fanservice, but whatever, only 6 episodes left of this craziness.

Oh, here is the "class president that knows everything and his lil' "loli trash" slave girl that he absolutely trashes any moment he can..
tumblr_lwwt5wOQY41qiva0ho1_500.png

javac

Just watch 0080 and 8th MS Team then if you want to stick to OVAs, they only make passing references to the main series anyway. Also I'm not sure how you can say that watching one 50-ish episode series is tedious when you've just finished up a 33 episode series just now.

There's a humongous difference between watching a 33 episode series which I was 99% sure I'd love, and is a one off series compared to a show that's 51 episodes (which is...you know a whole 18 episodes longer...which in and of itself longer than many series altogether) and is considered crap, and is just one of the many Gundam series, because like I said, I found the notion of the whole franchise itself to be tedious, because if I watch one, I would want to watch them all, but even so, one 51 episode series, even if it was 20+ episodes, is tedious when I could spend that time watching something I'm legitimately excited for, like City Hunter 2, a 63 episode series which in comparison I'd happily watch even if it was double that...because you know, City Hunter is fucking good :p

Paltheos

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 42

Julian is the worst. He's basically this show's Wesley Crusher. It's sad that I know he won't die anytime soon.

Oooh, that's the one where you follow Julian around for a whole goddamn episode, isn't it? I hate that episode. Julian is just awful.

Imo, LOGH has only two outright bad episodes, and that is decidedly one of them.

I quite enjoyed Nichijou. I'm not really fan of that type of comedy for the most, but god damn if the execution and exceeding production value in some of the jokes didn't make me laugh. Getting accustomed to the characters over the course of the show also helped.

Seriously though, that budget.

Oh best designed and overall best character goes to:

the crow of course!

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
UBW latest
Hmm, i think this show need more sakuga and less talking. Several talking scene could be implemented in action scene instead of Archer and Shiro stop the fighting just to talk. I still enjoy it, and EMIYA ost is still awesome, so there's that.
Ah Rin, much tsundere.

Cornbread78

Stupid childhood friend thinking she has a chance against a powerful vampire, witch being.... yeah good like with that one, you are already dead.

Today's a good day. Finishing up at the gym and got the whole day off. Got GoT first, then I'm gonna continue my journey through Samurai Flamenco. Idk how I let this one slip me by when it aired.

Joe Molotov

I started watching Phi-Brain again. I marathoned the first season a few years ago, but then burned out about half-way through Season 2. How did Season 3 end up being?

Phatmac

I've continued my trek of watching important/classic anime and have finally finished seeing the mob classic. The intro sets everything up in making Baccano a fast faced, no-nonsense show that keeps going with the flow at a pace that wants you to keep catching up with what's happening. It's a rare show in which most of it happens in one place yet it maintains a great sense of adventure with wonderful characters. Mirai & Isaac are my OTP for life and they're honestly the life of the show in order to lift your spirits from the horrible things going on. It expects you to take in a lot of info and sometimes it's hard to know what exactly is going on at what time. It's still simple enough to understand everyone's motivations so it doesn't hurt the show overall. There are several plot holes and extra episodes which kill the pace of the show which is a bummer but it ends with a resolution for most of the important characters. It's a must watch for everyone.

Arcadius

Banned
I've continued my trek of watching important/classic anime and have finally finished seeing the mob classic. The intro sets everything up in making Baccano a fast faced, no-nonsense show that keeps going with the flow at a pace that wants you to keep catching up with what's happening. It's a rare show in which most of it happens in one place yet it maintains a great sense of adventure with wonderful characters. Mirai & Isaac are my OTP for life and they're honestly the life of the show in order to lift your spirits from the horrible things going on. It expects you to take in a lot of info and sometimes it's hard to know what exactly is going on at what time. It's still simple enough to understand everyone's motivations so it doesn't hurt the show overall. There are several plot holes and extra episodes which kill the pace of the show which is a bummer but it ends with a resolution for most of the important characters. It's a must watch for everyone.

Nice write up, bolded has been noted =).

Cornbread78

A Dark Rabbit has Seven Lives ep.7-END:
Well, since there was no ending for this one really as they ended on the begining of a new arc, how shocking. The series probably sold like crap because it is so inconsistant with it's plot line, the characters and the the themes involved? Is it a harem anime? a love story? a thriller an action flick, and ecchi comedy? the show cannot identify itself with any of these at all and that is unfortuante... Oh well, only wasted a few hours of my life, so there's that. No girl won, no ending, no conclusions.... lame... Oh, it's off my Crunchy queue now.

Saudades

Sad but true.
I've been a Gundam fan since I started watching anime, and although I admit I haven't seen everything Gundam out there (still have most of the stuff from Zeta to Turn A), the only ones I consider good enough to recommend to people are 0080 and GBF (and maybe 00 Season 1, if I'm generous).

Defuser

I started watching Phi-Brain again. I marathoned the first season a few years ago, but then burned out about half-way through Season 2. How did Season 3 end up being?

Season 3 is actually a true sequel to season 1. It answers what going on with Jin and gives a true antagonist to the whole series.

CorvoSol

The fun is in none of us bein' able to decide what the 10% of OK stuff is.

It's 10% great, 20% good, 50% average and 20% terrible.

I kinda wanna say it's more than 20% terrible, but I tend to overreact to some of the franchise's worst stuff.

That said I insist I'm justified in findin' Space Flower the lowest point in the entire franchise, yes even worse than Space hitler decidin' not to nuke Martian Jews because his pedophile fantasies told him not to.

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon S: Episode 113:

Right, anybody who wants to tell me that this season is a jumbled mess of bullshit can go ahead and suffer through Sailor Moon R and kindly walk through the door.

Passive aggressive, much?

I kinda wanna say it's more than 20% terrible, but I tend to overreact to some of the franchise's worst stuff.

That said I insist I'm justified in findin' Space Flower the lowest point in the entire franchise, yes even worse than Space hitler decidin' not to nuke Martian Jews because his pedophile fantasies told him not to.

Both are pretty terrible. Flit was just insufferable through the entire series, even worse that he
ended up getting a statue erected in his honour in the end, more than any other Gundam protagonist ever received
, he deserved nothing after all the stupid decisions he pulled.

00 Movie is just a poorly animated, jumbled mess. If it didn't have Celestial Being: The Movie in it, 00 Movie would be completely irredeemable.

Sterok

Is Princess Precure shit or not shit?

It's bland and doesn't have an interesting hook or character aside from Kirara when the focus is on her. Everything is by the books, characters are all stock, and the humor isn't good enough to salvage it. Fights are decent at least. I miss Happiness Charge. Sure the last third was shit, but the first 2/3 was some of the franchise's best.

Go Princess Precure 19

Kanata has a sister that plays the violin. Gee, I wonder where this is going to go. Treasure. Character development summary. So Twilight was brainwashed/memory-wiped. There goes my care for her. That is one lousy treasure. At least give out a sticker or something. There's Twilight's thing. Can she stay evil for at least a few more episodes?
I've been waiting for a proper evil Cure, and while this won't stick, it could make for one interesting episode.

Holy shit there's a third season of Senki Zesshou Symphogear coming next month?
131cc023218913a9c8830c955e3ec8af.png

Fucking awesome. Loved that show, and it looks like the 3 girls from season 2 are joining the main cast? so so good.

More songs like this one please

Hum i guess i should start season 1 & 2 .
i always wanted to start them ... i'm expecting vividred/sky girls but with songs ..hopefullly i'll be surprised.

Season 3 bring back the cools things that made season 1 good , with the good ideas of season 2 added. it's actually well done and a Great way to end the franchise.. The last arc was very good. It ended just short of being amazing.

Sad but true.
I've been a Gundam fan since I started watching anime, and although I admit I haven't seen everything Gundam out there (still have most of the stuff from Zeta to Turn A), the only ones I consider good enough to recommend to people are 0080 and GBF (and maybe 00 Season 1, if I'm generous).
No G Gundam? You disgust me

Razmos

Hum i guess i should start season 1 & 2 .
i always wanted to start them ... i'm expecting vividred/sky girls but with songs ..hopefullly i'll be surprised.
It's quite a bit darker than Vividred in tone, I think. And far more dramatic and less "cute girls saving the world"
The soundtrack is pretty amazing as well, not just in the character songs.

One thing I really liked in the second season was where they ended the episode on an amazing cliffhanger, for it to fade into this music. So good.

I thought I'd hate Symphogear when I started watching it, because the whole singing thing bothered me, but it works really well within the show.

Looks like the second season of Gatchaman Crowds and the continuation of Durarara season 2 is coming next month as well. Can't wait.

javac

Anybody here seen Fantastic Children? I'm guessing yes? I'm planning to watch it soon, maybe not right now but in the near future. It looks pretty nice and I can see some potential in it. Character designs look great too. Also, as always, nice intro. I think it's fair to say that I'm excited to check it out. Not exactly the most recent series, coming out back in 2004, but its one of the more recent ones I'll be seeing in the sea of 80's and 90's junk I've been watching as of late, beautiful beautiful junk. Dat Nippon Animation.

VRMN

Go Princess Precure 19

I would have more hope for GoPri if not for your summary. As I said in my post on this, I kind of like this more than I did HapCha at this point, and HapCha had Megumi Nakajima installed as the Pink Cure to mitigate any feelings of annoyance at her undue focus. But HapCha had a really strong middle section and this sounds like GoPri is going to fail on that front. A pity.

At least the action is solid. Never really got into last season's fights other than a handful of the big ones. The week to week combat here is pretty good on average.

Arcadius

Banned
Anybody here seen Fantastic Children? I'm guessing yes? I'm planning to watch it soon, maybe not right now but in the near future. It looks pretty nice and I can see some potential in it. Character designs look great too. Also, as always, nice intro. I think it's fair to say that I'm excited to check it out. Not exactly the most recent series, coming out back in 2004, but its one of the more recent ones I'll be seeing in the sea of 80's and 90's junk I've been watching as of late, beautiful beautiful junk. Dat Nippon Animation.

I'm watching it now, it's freaking fantastic!!!

Arcadius

Banned
Whoa what a coincidence! :0 Glad you're enjoying it, it looks a bit out of my comfort zone visually, but it does look nice nonetheless :) Excited!

=( Been saying for a bit now, that Fantastic Children was next on my list.

None-the-less, the art style is fantastic, beautiful hand drawn look to it all, probably is too. First sci-fi show in a long time and it's really interesting. Episode 10, things really start to heat up in terms of story, so there is quite a bit of content to watch.

Cornbread78

Is it bad that I watched the first episode of Diabolic Lovers saw mulitple gang rape attempts by vampire brothers and shut that $hit down right afterwards? Deleted from my Crunchy list, like quickly, even if it wasn't sexual rape, might as well have been garbage garbage garbage.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Ignoring the obvious appeal to mecha lovers, UC especially holds people hostage to it because, in spite of its aggregate terribleness, few anime offer a similar combination of continuity, length, and lore in one package. It's also pulpy, melodramatic, and populated with charismatic figures; essentially an anime soap opera designed to appeal entirely to emotion at the expense of reason. The original Mobile Suit Gundam is competent enough that it's easy to understand why viewers become invested enough to want to know how the characters' actions echo through time, even at the cost of their own sanity.

AU Gundams sucker people in with the recurring hope that maybe this time it will be UC Gundam, except good. And then they manage to be even worse, and the cycle repeats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom