• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, I felt the same. It went to shit as soon as they introduced the monsters.

Episode 7 isn't where the show went off the rails. For me, that's when it became the kind of show I was expecting it to be in the first place.

And seriously, watch some toku. I'd suggest Kamen Rider Double and Go-Busters for a starter course.
I'm not a big fan of this kind of show lol, that's why I complained. Episode 7 had quite the twist, but what broke everything to the ground was 11. I'm just skimming through the next episodes just to see if it changes, and it just seems to get worse and worse lol.

Midonin

Some appreciation of tokusatsu and its history is required to get (unironic) enjoyment out of Flamenco. I said the same thing with Twintails. Once that aspect of Japanese superhero culture is understood, the works make a lot more sense.

Cornbread78

Now that I think about it, I haven't watched any yandere anime. I know there are quite some VN's that do that stuff, what anime out there handle yandere situations well? Recommendations? Or is that stuff really violent and bloody? A comedy with yandere would be really good actually, some fan service too!

I'd be interested in that as well.

PK Gaming

Utena (1-END)

bkkA917.jpg

So I finally got around to watching this, and well, I'm kinda struggling to come up with things to say about it. Utena was...uh... well it's hard to put into words! I guess the single best word to describe it would be experience? Utena was an experience. An amazing experience. I'm sure by now you've heard people praise it, and it honestly lives up to the hype. Really. I was instantly hooked after watching a few episodes, and it never stopped being great There's nothing I can say about it that hasn't been said already; it's a character driven story that examines and deconstructs a bunch of themes like the definition of prince, gender politics, sexuality, adulthood and way more. It's engrossing—a veritable rollercoaster of emotions with a unique structure that makes it easy to watch more and more. But you know what? It's also goofy as hell. There are a handful of lighthearted episodes that are interspersed throughout the show, and while they seem out of place on paper, they're pretty solid as breather episodes. To wrap things up, I don't think I did this anime justice, but it's okay because you can find out for yourself if it's a good giving it a proper watch.

0Ufguvx.gif

so yeah, get to it

John Blade

Thanks for the impressions, I'm planning to watch this series one day. It does look pretty fun overall so I'm glad that you found it very enjoyable yourself. The fact that you thought the music was catchy pleases me, that's key for a series like this. Music was done by both Yasunori Iwasaki and Kow Otani? I had no idea! I look forward to hearing it. The fact that the TV series sees a drop in quality animation wise is par for the course really and is to be expected, but its great that the art transitions well in the end. The character designs themselves look pretty fun too, very charming. Atsuko Nakajima has done some nice character designs over the years, but I have to say that these look more distinct compared to her usual designs.

The music is very important when making a show (whether it's anime or not) as it help with the mood and the tone of the show. I manage to listen to the entire soundtrack and most are music which help quite a bit of the scene which is been used. Kinda funny you bring up Kow Otani as he did the music for Gundam Wing which is still one of the soundtrack I go back to listen once a while.

For animation, yup they is a big drop in animation quality which is expected as the budget for the TV series isn't large than the OVA budget and you can see it quite well. One of the biggest drop is the character animation for the OVA and TV series on season 1. I guess the drop for it is to make it easier for the animator to do the animation of the character as this is one episode per week when it aired in Japan. Still, don't let this tone down your expectation as the story is still up there with the OVA.

Still, if you have the chance, go watch the OVA even by itself if you don't have the commitment to watch the entire series of this franchise because of newer anime now. For me, I like old classic anime as this is something I watch when I was young. I feel old now because of my age (I am not 20 anymore) and newer anime isn't for me but for the classic anime from 80s to mid late 2000s, this is my gold mine and You're Under Arrest is one I will have fond memory here.

Bonus: OP of OVA in Spanish. It's catchy and starting to like it more than the original Japanese one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zu-Vyyxrro

tumblr_nob94nl47E1s5e5bko1_400.gif

Someone please get an ambulance to my place.

I don't think I'm going to make it after:

• The older neesan cat girl returned and asked for dragon babies.
  • Akeno dressing up in a see-through Miko outfit.
  • And seeing perhaps the greatest ass picture this season will ever produce.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 18

Oh...dear.

Well...
at least he got out of it okay!

What probably isn't okay is Shinji's mental state after that affair, but I'm sure a nice chit-chat with his dad will help sort everything out. Probably.

Cornbread78

Random question for the night. After watching more Shuffle! last night, then Samurai Bride today, I've come to realize that I hate how some of the harem's are depicted. I mean, in Shuffle, the girls are shown as being hurt and miserable a majority of the time, so much, it's almost painful to watch/gringe-worthy.. It's not as bad in Samurai Bride, but still. Are there any happy harems out there, lol?

Puruzi

Banned
Random question for the night. After watching more Shuffle! last night, then Samurai Bride today, I've come to realize that I hate how some of the harem's are depicted. I mean, in Shuffle, the girls are shown as being hurt and miserable a majority of the time, so much, it's almost painful to watch/gringe-worthy.. It's not as bad in Samurai Bride, but still. Are there any happy harems out there, lol?

Maken ki

javac

The music is very important when making a show (whether it's anime or not) as it help with the mood and the tone of the show. I manage to listen to the entire soundtrack and most are music which help quite a bit of the scene which is been used. Kinda funny you bring up Kow Otani as he did the music for Gundam Wing which is still one of the soundtrack I go back to listen once a while.

For animation, yup they is a big drop in animation quality which is expected as the budget for the TV series isn't large than the OVA budget and you can see it quite well. One of the biggest drop is the character animation for the OVA and TV series on season 1. I guess the drop for it is to make it easier for the animator to do the animation of the character as this is one episode per week when it aired in Japan. Still, don't let this tone down your expectation as the story is still up there with the OVA.

Still, if you have the chance, go watch the OVA even by itself if you don't have the commitment to watch the entire series of this franchise because of newer anime now. For me, I like old classic anime as this is something I watch when I was young. I feel old now because of my age (I am not 20 anymore) and newer anime isn't for me but for the classic anime from 80s to mid late 2000s, this is my gold mine and You're Under Arrest is one I will have fond memory here.

Bonus: OP of OVA in Spanish. It's catchy and starting to like it more than the original Japanese one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zu-Vyyxrro

Holy crap I want to thank you for posting that Spanish opening, its amazing! It's actually put a huge smile on my face and I seriously want to watch this right now! :D What a beautiful opening, the original is gorgeous too, man I feel all warm inside haha :) I really appreciate the time you've taken to respond to me, I 100% agree with your sentiments about older series making you feel as if you're at home, a sense of coziness exudes from them and you really just feel relaxed. I've been excited about this show for many, many years, but I'm going to watch this as soon as I can now. Really looks like my cup of tea, as Patlabor is my favorite series of all time and this looks a tiny bit similar, with female protagonists that actually look like they can hold their own, working as civil servants. I'm going to start with the OVA, as that's my domain anyways and move on from there.

If you haven't seen Patlabor yourself, watch that as soon as humanly possible! Beautiful series that I know you'd love :)

GJ-bu.

Samurai Flamenco 5

That was a deep speech from Hazama's Grandpa, it reminded me of Spider-Man with Uncle Ben. Anyways it seems like Hazama is finally heading down towards his own Justice.

Cornbread78

Lol, ok, so that is how she gets her pay back. I haven't gotten to that part of the story yet, but right now she is getting hurt the most. I mean she is up against princesses, lol. She should fight back.

Shinomiya Kyouya is forced to become a new member of the GJ, an unidentified club that dwells in a room of the former building of a certain school. Here he meets the club leader, Mao, a short girl with a big attitude; Mao's younger sister, Megumi, who has the heart of a bipolar angel; the recognized genius with a lack of common sense, Shion; and the always-hungry and mysterious Kirara. Time flies with these unique girls around.

Based on the manga series by Hiromitsu Takeda, this romantic comedy is about Takeru Ohyama, a typical perverted teenage boy. His new school doesn't require entrance exams, and it just turned co-ed! Unfortunately, his dreams of a happy high school life are dashed when he finds out the school is much more than it seems. All of the students wield a special item—a Maken—to unleash their magical abilities in duels! Can Takeru find a Maken that works for him? Even while trying to fit in at a new school and dealing with all kinds of girl problems?
Genres Action, Ecchi, Harem, Martial Arts, School, Super Power
You asked about To Love Ru before, so that should be what you're looking for. It's nothing but hijinks.

Nice, Tu love is already waiting on Hulu for me. I might watch that next for the fun.

John Blade

Holy crap I want to thank you for posting that Spanish opening, its amazing! It's actually put a huge smile on my face and I seriously want to watch this right now! :D What a beautiful opening, the original is gorgeous too, man I feel all warm inside haha :) I really appreciate the time you've taken to respond to me, I 100% agree with your sentiments about older series making you feel as if you're at home, a sense of coziness exudes from them and you really just feel relaxed. I've been excited about this show for many, many years, but I'm going to watch this as soon as I can now. Really looks like my cup of tea, as Patlabor is my favorite series of all time and this looks a tiny bit similar, with female protagonists that actually look like they can hold their own, working as civil servants. I'm going to start with the OVA, as that's my domain anyways and move on from there.

If you haven't seen Patlabor yourself, watch that as soon as humanly possible! Beautiful series that I know you'd love :)

Hope you like the show and if you can, post your impression of it here for people to read. If it's a show I am interested or have it my anime DVD collection but not watch yet, I like to read it a bit.

For Patlabor, I own the Blu-ray for OVA and TV series from Right Stuff Christmas sales. Will try to get the movie and Patlabor: The New Files when the price for it goes very cheap. Didn't watch it yet as I still need to get a Blu-ray for my desktop computer to play it. Will be a while till I get into my Blu-ray Anime collection I own but really, I have enough anime in my DVD collection, it might take me till the end of this year till I start to worry a bit but this is if I watch 2-3 anime show a month and I still buying some anime here and there when I have the chance (bought two more anime DVD in my collection).

Extra: Some extra from You're Under Arrest TV Series (Season 1) Opening....in Spanish. Not as catchy but still fun to listen to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGPeQ7dELHw

Baalzebup

I don't think a happier harem show than Dog days can exist, really.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 19

Well, I was half-right about what the Angels were doing. Looks like they are in fact trying to get to Adam.

Anyways, Shinji decides he's never going to pilot an Eva again. In the language of mecha, this means he's going to mope around about it for a bit before things get real bad and then he'll pilot it again. Which he does.

Then that happens at the end. Oh my. You can hardly call these things robots at this point.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 19

Well, I was half-right about what the Angels were doing. Looks like they are in fact trying to get to Adam.

Anyways, Shinji decides he's never going to pilot an Eva again. In the language of mecha, this means he's going to mope around about it for a bit before things get real bad and then he'll pilot it again. Which he does.

Then that happens at the end. Oh my. You can hardly call these things robots at this point.

Prepare yourself. It's the calm right before the storm.

javac

Hope you like the show and if you can, post your impression of it here for people to read. If it's a show I am interested or have it my anime DVD collection but not watch yet, I like to read it a bit.

For Patlabor, I own the Blu-ray for OVA and TV series from Right Stuff Christmas sales. Will try to get the movie and Patlabor: The New Files when the price for it goes very cheap. Didn't watch it yet as I still need to get a Blu-ray for my desktop computer to play it. Will be a while till I get into my Blu-ray Anime collection I own but really, I have enough anime in my DVD collection, it might take me till the end of this year till I start to worry a bit but this is if I watch 2-3 anime show a month and I still buying some anime here and there when I have the chance (bought two more anime DVD in my collection).

Extra: Some extra from You're Under Arrest TV Series (Season 1) Opening....in Spanish. Not as catchy but still fun to listen to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGPeQ7dELHw

Are Spanish opening always this good or is it just this series? :0 Great stuff! Patlabor is great, so I'm glad that your own it! The sale last year was pretty awesome so it's cool that you took advantage of it. Both the movies and The New Files are awesome, my favorite episodes are within The New Files funnily enough, but yeah the TV series is the way I'd recommend to start. Good luck on getting a Blu-ray player for your Computer, I look forward to hearing your impressions when you get to it :) Don't worry about me, I always let me feelings on a show known so I'll do the same with You're Under Arrest :D

Samurai Flamenco 6

With great power comes great responsibility quote has never made sense until now. Anyways it was nice seeing Samurai Flamenco use his new office weapons to survive the crazy mob. Also plus one on the Flamenco Girls kicking some balls.

Keep going. Good luck friend, I have given up on the journey lol

Don't worry I've seen worse.

Arcadius

Banned
Mirai Nikki
Shuffle
Higurashi|| Pretty violent.
Elfen Lied|| Incredibly violent
Code Geass

Thanks for this, and thanks for telling me the violence level too. Do comedy based yandere anime exist too? Or is that just too far out of the park for what a yandere should be?

Baalzebup

SNAFU is one of those shows where best girl is not the main girl I assume?

Actually, this time it really is in the air. Both of the two main girls are legit as well. It also features an excellent little sister AND for fucking once, there is not even a hint of incest~y things. The relationship between them is very well done.

They exist . Tenchi muyo being one ( watch the oavs or the knightr of geminar spin-off )
Also DUAL : parallel adventure is freaking great.

I can provide more exemple , but just watch those in the meantime.

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan 2

Can't say this episode had much in the way of humor. The moments between Kyon and Nagato were nice I suppose. Otherwise meh episode.

Cornbread78

They exist . Tenchi muyo being one ( watch the oavs or the knightr of geminar spin-off )
Also adventure is freaking great.
I can provide more exemple , but just watch those in the meantime.

Added to my MAL list

Actually, this time it really is in the air. Both of the two main girls are legit as well. It also features an excellent little sister AND for fucking once, there is not even a hint of incest~y things. The relationship between them is very well done.

Good breakdown, Hiki little sis is also the best wingman in town.

SNAFU season 2 episode 10
tumblr_npkeqtSRSQ1u1w094o1_540.gif

"Take responsibility" So good, lol when taken out of context, it looks worse, lol.

I don't think a happier harem show than Dog days can exist, really.

Lol, I saw S1-2, but no streams for S3 in NA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom