• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
China knows they're ground zero for a zombie outbreak because there's too much land and too many people to keep an eye on.

But you can't zombify cremated ashes.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
As I read Shard's post I imagined dark clouds gathering, cooler wind blowing and how quiet the world gets right before a bad thunderstorm starts.

All depends on how they play that,
if it remains a one sided crush, that is a bit on eww side but otherwise fine, anything above that is genuinely disturbing to me.

Sound! Euphonium 10:
Great episode. Kumiko and Natsuki's conversation was really good. I liked how Natsuki headed off some of Kumiko's worries, and also showed that she hasn't lost heart because of this. I was worried that she would revert back to being apathetic, but she seems like she's really dedicated to getting better now and hoping to make the cut next year.

I think this show keeps getting better with its characters. A few episodes ago it felt like a lot of the cast weren't really developed that well, but I think that everyone is starting to grow more as we get to see more of them. Characters who were on the periphery are becoming more fleshed out, and I think I have a good handle on just about everyone who has gotten a good amount of screen time. The trumpet drama this episode all felt like it played out fairly well. Yuko stepped over the line a couple of times, but her dedication to Kaori was impressive. Kaori's scene practicing as Kumiko and Asuka watched was a great moment, too. My biggest regret with this show is just that 13 episodes aren't enough for us to get to know all of these characters super well. I really hope that we get a second season.

MSMrRound

Sound Eupho ep 10

fm24736.gif

Natsuki-senpai cements her spot as one of the best Hibike girl.

Yuri flag is dead!? No, never! We wouldn't give up!

Sound! Euphonium 10:
Great episode. Kumiko and Natsuki's conversation was really good. I liked how Natsuki headed off some of Kumiko's worries, and also showed that she hasn't lost heart because of this. I was worried that she would revert back to being apathetic, but she seems like she's really dedicated to getting better now and hoping to make the cut next year.

I think this show keeps getting better with its characters. A few episodes ago it felt like a lot of the cast weren't really developed that well, but I think that everyone is starting to grow more as we get to see more of them. Characters who were on the periphery are becoming more fleshed out, and I think I have a good handle on just about everyone who has gotten a good amount of screen time. The trumpet drama this episode all felt like it played out fairly well. Yuko stepped over the line a couple of times, but her dedication to Kaori was impressive. Kaori's scene practicing as Kumiko and Asuka watched was a great moment, too. My biggest regret with this show is just that 13 episodes aren't enough for us to get to know all of these characters super well. I really hope that we get a second season.

This is pretty much my thought on the novel as well. It's astonishing how much depth Takeda gave these characters in pretty much one novel. While there's some changes added by Ishihara/Hanada, most of the groundwork was done by her in one 320 pg story. It's astonishing to see how well a full ensemble story could be told when you're not fully focusing on the main character doing/solving everything by themselves. I liken this strategy to a much better execution of what happened with Tamako Market. Both stories focused a lot on the people surrounding the main POV character, but Euphonium did a better job tying the tales together as well as involving a growth in the main character herself.

If there is another work created from this franchise, I truly hope we skip novel 2 or abbreviate it to fit in novel 3. Novel 3 would be a fantastic way to continue and conclude the story in another season. I'm very partial as the epilogue in that novel, combined with the journey throughout the franchise, really made me tear up in sadness that the story was done. There's no other good way to end the anime adaptation IMO.

(I'd also like to see the developments/introduction/growth in novel 2, but novel 3 surpasses it in sheer execution/depth/Kumiko growth.)

Hibike! Euphonium - 10

Absolutely superb episode, maybe my favorite yet. Really interesting story bits and fantastic direction, the latter managing to produce more tension than last episode which contained the audition. Really nice framing and angles, too.

But yeh, story wise this was an important step, too. Reina and Taki being already acquainted explains why Reina was so infatuated already and stated that Taki-sensei is awesome. At that earlier point, it seemed a tad questionable how quickly she grew to like him but it makes sense given the new information, since she'd knew so much more about his character and work.

The conflict that arose was also not only very realistic but also finally proved to be a challenge to Taki that he couldn't overcome with his stubborn, somewhat ruthless methodology. He actually has to deal with the fact that students would be affected by the rumors and doubts and no amount of "just keep practicing" would solve this. So now we get a second audition for the solo trumpet part, which I really didn't expect.

Every scene involving Kumiko is just fun to watch and there was so much good character development stuffed in this episode, a real joy to see.

It's a real pity we only get to see 13 episodes for now. Although, if this one is successful and the rather large amount of merchandise that ultimategax mentioned some time ago sells well, what's stopping another season? Especially since KyoAni would have the rights to do just that anyways, right?

It's a real pity we only get to see 13 episodes for now. Although, if this one is successful and the rather large amount of merchandise that ultimategax mentioned some time ago sells well, what's stopping another season? Especially since KyoAni would have the rights to do just that anyways, right?

The KyoAni Shop lists at least 67 pieces of merchandise for Euphonium alone. This doesn't include video discs either (which are also sold in the KyoAni Shop). While nothing has matched the Haruka/Makoto mook (rush took down the server and a re-stock was gone in 2 hours), it appears to have done well enough for the studio's store. Additionally, events at Animate Yokohama and Uji have brought in a fair amount as have tourists to Uji. There's definitely a lot of interest that won't necessarily be reflected in the numbers of video discs sold.

The studio negotiated for the rights to adapt the first novel. If things go well and depending on how much Takajimasha wants for more, there is nothing stopping KyoAni and the rest of the committee from doing more. The past few episodes have increased the popularity of the series immensely, so it looks to be doing well enough to justify more with the CTFK method. I wouldn't be surprised to see a sequel, but I can't say in what format.

cajunator

Banned
Show By Rock!! 9

Awesome performance by Plasmagica! Loved it.

Holy shit that got dark in the end. Goddamn lol

A lot of shows have been unexpectedly dark this season.
Luckily Hello! Kinmoza didnt get the memo.

Indeed. Its just one fantastic warm and fuzzy ball of happiness.

It is!

Lol, that's pretty damn good.

Man, this place is going to be Yuri crazy tomorrow isn't it?

Maybe I should marathon this season in the morning.

a little yuri is fine too!

Euphonium - 10

Enjoyed this one a lot, but god dayum just play the instruments you little shits, next time you try to start some beef I hope Asuka blows you out.
That said I liked that time was dedicated to more characters. Can't say I missed the other two that usually hangs with Kumiko. Episode just went by without me giving them a thought. Natsuki really grew on me, I need more of her and Asuka.

Talk about CR, i just remember none of any official sub group(CR, Funi etc) acquired Symphogear G, i hope same thing won't happen to Symphogear GX this time.

Razmos

I just got around to finishing the last 2 episodes of Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki Kun. I heard before that people really hated the ending, and after watching it, i'm not sure why.

I thought the episode was very good, and the final moments were incredibly sweet, with Sakura remarking how despite their relationship not changing in the slightest, she loves Nozaki more and more due to the time they are spending together, and she doesn't mind if it stays that way as long as they are together.

It wasn't a romantic ending, but I wasn't expecting that from this series. The way it ended fit really well with the tone of the series, in my opinion.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I just got around to finishing the last 2 episodes of Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki Kun I heard before that people really hated the ending, and after watching it, i'm not sure why.

I thought the episode was very good, and the final moments were incredibly sweet, with Sakura remarking how despite their relationship not changing in the slightest, she loves Nozaki more and more due to the time they are spending together, and she doesn't mind if it stays that way as long as they are together.

It wasn't a romantic ending, but I wasn't expecting that from this series. The way it ended fit really well with the tone of the series, in my opinion.

I hated the ending simply for the fact that the big joke just wasn't funny.

Mature

I just got around to finishing the last 2 episodes of Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki Kun. I heard before that people really hated the ending, and after watching it, i'm not sure why.

I'm on the same page. Couldn't really understand the distaste.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

People wanted a confession or something, which is absurd given the premise of the show.

cajunator

Banned
what are you people

DOING

control yourselves

Let us have our fun!

Remember when Euphonium was about music?

It still is. Yall are really being silly about all this.
People should enjoy anime however they see fit.

This is a useful gif. This is me on a Friday dealing with incompetent offshores at work

Same. Except its a dual attack from both the superiors and a constant battle with the buggiest piece of shit database that anyone has ever implemented.

cajunator

Banned
Are we talking about a show where the boats are captained by cute girls or where the boats are cute girls because of those exists.

I would watch a show about cute girls captaining boats.
Anime, get on this.

I still cannot tell the difference between a girl from Touhou and a girl from Kantai half the time

Seriously? they look completely different!
I dont think its difficult at all to tell them apart.

Acosta

Euphonium 10

Aw, this must be the symphony of the broken dreams. It was fun until it lasted (I don't really get why some of you are so annoyed about it, I found the reactions and the conversations hilarious).

Interesting episode, Asuka being Asuka and Natsuki being awesome. We even got to see Taki-sensei loosing it´s cool, I guess every character much have his chance of development.

It has been mentioned but I really feel we have to give credit to Kumiko at how fun this show is, there is something that really grabs you of her personality but I couldn't name it.

Cornbread78

People wanted a confession or something, which is absurd given the premise of the show.

It's tough. I accepted it as' is because of the theme of the show, however, a little pay-off for Sakura would have been nice.

Is there any other source material for the series or was that it?

A lot of room for more there.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The manga is still ongoing and, no, Nozaki is still clueless and Chiyo is suffering.

cajunator

Banned
Love Live S2

I stopped watching because

1. Nozomi being a real character is strange
2. Still not a fan of idol shows
3. I started to enjoy it

OH nooooo
To be fair, I spent 150$ on the NISA Love Live set and I kind of regret spending that much.

I know your weakness.

AcUybRcl.jpg

Why Zachy? You know I cant resist this sort of thing!

RWBY official Japanese cast announced:

Ruby:Hayami Saori
Weiss:Hikasa Yoko
Blake:Shimamura Yu
Yang:Koshimizu Ami

So theres a TV series coming out? The first show was shorter I think.
Oh well, more Ruby!

The anticipation for tomorrow's episode is hilarious

I cant wait to see people's reactions, either way.

Watch IM@S for everyone's favorite idol Miki. Anyway...

Steins;Gate: Fuka Ryōiki no Déjà vu

So I actually enjoyed this movie. It definitely didn't reach any of the heights the series did but wasn't too bad. Essentially a retelling of the story with Kurisu as the main character.

I missed Okabe here and there but it was nice having someone else as the center, freshened things up a bit.

Romance definitely is a part of the movie and I'm a sucker for that...so it made me like it even more.

Great series, good movie. Gonna play the VN sometime soon too.

I havent actually watched the movie yet. I dont expect it to live up to the series but maybe a fun diversion. Everything was too neatly tied together already. Seeing it from a different perspective might be really fun though. Saikano OVA did that from Chise's perspective.

No, people didn't expect or really want that even because everyone already understood this is just a rather episodic show with no real overarching development. However, they then shoved this kind of confession scene in there at the end anyways, letting Nozaki go out of character in order to deliver a poor bait. Because really, it needed to end this way, the cheapest kind of "he misunderstood her LOL" joke.

It's no big deal anyways, but still left a sour taste for the ending.

The KyoAni Shop lists at least 67 pieces of merchandise for Euphonium alone. This doesn't include video discs either (which are also sold in the KyoAni Shop). While nothing has matched the Haruka/Makoto mook (rush took down the server and a re-stock was gone in 2 hours), it appears to have done well enough for the studio's store. Additionally, events at Animate Yokohama and Uji have brought in a fair amount as have tourists to Uji. There's definitely a lot of interest that won't necessarily be reflected in the numbers of video discs sold.

The studio negotiated for the rights to adapt the first novel. If things go well and depending on how much Takajimasha wants for more, there is nothing stopping KyoAni and the rest of the committee from doing more. The past few episodes have increased the popularity of the series immensely, so it looks to be doing well enough to justify more with the CTFK method. I wouldn't be surprised to see a sequel, but I can't say in what format.

Sounds good. *hoping intensifies*

cajunator

Banned
Ghost in the Shell: Arise TV Show 1-3
Never seen any Ghost in the Shell, it is pretty good so far. Sci-fi whatnot.

bAIvIlP.gif

dat glorious yandere face

Cornbread would like Oreimo.

He would, actually.
Probably wouldnt root for Kuroneko though.

You're only setting yourselves up for disappointment!

No way. I just want to watch more of Euphonium!

Hyouka Episode 3:

Right, if nothing else Kyoto Animation is proving to be the masters of putting out dull shit that makes me very tired from boredom. I have better things to do then watching the lazy jerk and the empty vessel try and solve the world's most trite mysteries. Moving on to a different show.

You can safely skip to episode 13 around the festival arc and literally not miss ANYTHING.

Cornbread78

The manga is still ongoing and, no, Nozaki is still clueless and Chiyo is suffering.

Ouch, that sucks. Maybe they'll throw her a bone eventually, lol.

[/B]

OH nooooo
To be fair, I spent 150$ on the NISA Love Live set and I kind of regret spending that much.

Cajun, Best Buy had the complete Clannad and Clannad After Story Blu-Rays on sale for under $50 and I almost pulled the trigger for the first time until I realized that my wife would beat me, lol.

PK Gaming

Euphonium 10

The dream is dead and Yuko was unbearable, but it honestly doesn't matter because this episode was absolutely terrific. It was filled with wonderful moments, like Kumiko's talk with Natsuki (which perfectly showcased the later's growth as a person) and Reina's outburst. That outburst felt very natural to me, and I love how Kumiko and Reina's current relationship. The interplay between Kumiko, Hazuki and Midori was nice, but it's nothing you haven't really seen before. Kumiko and Reina have this unique friendship... jokes aside, I really appreciate how open they can be with each other. I'm super glad that Taki was actually worn down by the band's nonsense; he's calm and serene, but it's good that even he has a limit. Also, they followed up on Asuka's true nature, which was something I wanted to see more of. Real talk: I loved Asuka purely based on the fact that she was entertaining but I didn't really dig her character (or lack thereof) to much. But now, when that happy-go-luck facade cracks just a little bit, I get excited. She's a really intriguing person, and it's a damn shame the anime is ending soon because I would kill to see an episode centered around her.

God, what a great episode.

cajunator

Banned
I generally mirror your thoughts on this one, though maybe without so much venom but I do think the titular mystery might be worth watching. I'd venture to say it's the only "not trite" detective story in the show. It won't sway your feelings on the series but given that you already watched 3 episodes, you might as well watch 2 more.

I agree, those episodes were actually fairly solid. I enjoyed the Sekitani Jun /Hyouka club stuff. It should have been more like that. Instead it went back to insipid garbage.

This reminds me of when it was airing and everyone was all "where all da mysteries at???"

Still wondering this.

If you guys didn't notice what was weird about this poster... (and i'm not sure how many of you could even tell the difference offhand)

Well, either the person who drew it has no concept of the size of mouthpieces, or, given their painstaking attention to detail so far...
that's a low brass mouthpiece, probably a euphonium mouthpiece. In her hands, that's way bigger than a trumpet mouthpiece.

brassmouthpieces6xrtn.jpg

fdc55f327cb7cc8db0b31osqvb.jpg

BEAR I love how you delve into the details of this show. Makes me appreciate it even more than I previously would have. I need to bookmark all your comments about it actually.
And you bring up a very interesting point right here hehee.

Rainy

Banned
Hibike Euphonium 10
Good episode. Yuko was so annoying! I wonder who will win the solo after the second audition. (I mean
Kosaka probably but
)

Hibike Euphonium 10
Good episode. Yuko was so annoying! I wonder who will win the solo after the second audition. (I mean
Kosaka probably but
)

Glad that I am not the only one saying it. She's a nosy, embarrassing and annoying brat. If I were the other girl I would have told her to shut up too when she did, that was just plain embarrassing. She wants to be her knight in shining armour or something.

This sounds promising. Euphonium has really been one of the more surprising shows in recent memory, and I really would dearly love to see a second season, so I hope that the merchandise continues to sell well and everyone gets on board for making more of the series.

You can safely skip to episode 13 around the festival arc and literally not miss ANYTHING.

Aside from a number of fantastic episodes of television, including Episode 11 which is one of the best episodes of the entire series.

Cornbread78

He would, actually.
Probably wouldnt root for Kuroneko though.

My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute a.k.a
Oreimo

Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai

Synopsis
Kyousuke Kousaka, a normal seventeen-year-old high school student, hasn't gotten along with his younger sister, Kirino, in years. For longer than he can remember, Kirino has ignored his comings and goings and looked at him with spurning eyes. It seemed as if the relationship between Kyousuke and his sister, now fourteen, would continue this way forever.

One day, however, Kyousuke finds a DVD case of a magical girl anime entitled Hoshikuzu Witch Meruru (Stardust Witch Meruru), which had fallen into the entranceway of his house. To Kyousuke's surprise, inside the case is a hidden adult video game titled Imouto to Koishiyo! (Love with Little Sister!). Kyousuke attempts to fish out the culprit who dropped the case by bringing up the topic of magical girl anime at the family dinner table. All that comes out is a strong negative reaction from his parents, especially his anti-otaku policeman father.

That night, Kirino bursts into Kyousuke's room and, in perhaps the first conversation she has initiated with him in years, says they "have things to talk about." Kirino brings Kyousuke to her room and shows him an extensive collection of moe anime and lolicon bishoujo games she has been collecting in secret.

Ok, lol, WTF is this one.. comedy, right, right?

Glad that I am not the only one saying it. Nosy, embarrassing and annoying. If I were the other girl I would have told her to shut up too when she did, that was just plain embarrassing. She wants to be her knight in shining armour or something.

Gotta be rather awkward how everyone must know at this point what she fantasizes about when doing the deeds.

But I really liked how the interaction between her and Kaori showed that Kaori really would like take the solo part after all, even after already losing out. Sure, Kaori always acted adamant being okay with the audition results and she'd as if she'd prefer Yuko to remain silent, but she probably really appreciated Yuko's effort (I mean she outright thanked her twice for it) and was having some hope left. If that weren't the case she probably would've reacted much more upset and shut Yuko down for good instead of letting her continuously bring it up and disrupting everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom