• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats rather difficult because SSY is really good and pretty unique. Cant really think of another anime that compares to it.

The thing is that SSY's world building and 'plot tightness' widely surpasses every other anime I've seen so far. I mean that goes for most of all film, not just anime really.

Pretty much. I could see either of the two winning (Koari if she's only slightly worse) but I think it'll be Kousaka, especially after stating how damn seriously she's going to take it if she has to fight for the spot again.

I was kind of thinking that Kumiko's narration during the middle of the episode was hinting at Reina losing the second audition, but I'm not going to put all of my money on that outcome or anything.

cajunator

Banned
The thing is that SSY's world building and 'plot tightness' widely surpasses every other anime I've seen so far. I mean that goes for most of all film, not just anime really.

Its not my absolute favorite show, but its way up there. I was so hugely impressed by Shin Sekai Yori. It surpassed my expectations in a huge way.

jman2050

Man, my high school life was sure dull in comparison to other people's high school experience.

Mine wasn't terribly eventful either but you can pick up quite a few nasty things on the periphery if you're paying attention.

Hell there was a prominent rumor in my school of a teacher getting fired because he got a student pregnant. Whether it was true or not doesn't matter, just that it was a major thing people were talking about.

Obviously she's going to win. The point of this to show that you cannot fudge the lines between a good player and a great player, unless they're very close, without outright lying. Kousaka is going to prove it to all of them that they're 1000 years too early to challenge her solo part.

Yep. Reina is playing for keeps and Taki would never have done this if he weren't absolutely sure her talent would shine through to her peers.

cajunator

Banned
I used to make origami insects for my French teacher and gather around the courtyard and watch people fighting by the flagpole. Good times. Then my last two years, I helped out in the main check-in office to fill some hours. Also I was "that crazy little chinese dude who draws a lot"

Rainy

Banned
I used to make origami insects for my French teacher and gather around the courtyard and watch people fighting by the flagpole. Good times. Then my last two years, I helped out in the main check-in office to fill some hours. Also I was "that crazy little chinese dude who draws a lot"
Now I think of you as "that nice guy who replies to everyone's posts."

Maybe ergo proxy? Not really on the same level and not too similar but then, what is. May be worth checking out.

Just watched the first episode. This show doesn't really prioritize easing the audience in does it? I don't know what the fuck is going on except I'm apparently following the main character who I assume is an investigator of sorts but no idea what said investigator is investigating exactly.

Makes me want to re-watch Psycho-Pass (first season).

Narag

Just watched the first episode. This show doesn't really prioritize easing the audience in does it? I don't know what the fuck is going on except I'm apparently following the main character who I assume is an investigator of sorts but no idea what said investigator is investigating exactly.

Makes me want to re-watch Psycho-Pass (first season).

Could just watch Texhnolyze.

It clears up over the course of the first half roughly.

The problem is that it then rather becomes stranger and stranger again :[

Mirai Nikki - 08

I probably should have learned this by now, that you shouldn't even trust what you see. Question everything and everyone.
They showcase situations and reactions that later doesn't make sense in retrospect!
bB4dRQn.jpg

show in a nutshell

Samurai Flamenco 10

That was some psychological hero stuff that was going on. Poor Mari got completely destroyed by King Torture's speech. It was nice seeing Hazama defeat King Torture while Goto stopped the rocket. Also a plus for Mr. Scientist beating some ass.

Still though this show got a bit bloody.

Soul Eater 14

Ahh school exams, glad I'm don't have to worry about those for a while.

Also I asked this before but does Blair serve any purpose besides fanservice?

Tenumi

Banned
I can answer this one, the yuri question surrounding Euphonium has almost subsumed any and all discussion around the show and the loud voices got annoying to some people so a backlash is at hand.

AKA why I'm barely ever around here. I want to enjoy this show, and I have been. It's been everything I've been hoping for so far.

Welcome to High School drama.

And how.

Ah, high school band, how I miss those days. Yeah, including the drama a little

Midonin

Finally, Funimation's website fixed their territory problem. It seems it had to do with my ISP, but still, that was super annoying. Least now I can watch things when they actually go up. Also, since it's June, simulcast announcements should be starting any day now.

Hibike! Euphonium 10

lol Ship sinked so fast so hard.

Anyways back to the important shit. I really hate that Yuko hair bow chick. Your senpai doesnt give a shit about you, stop trying to suck up to her and causing problems in the band. Git gud or else shut up.

Sensei also fucked up by staying silent for too long. Natsuki senpai stays being awesome. Yeah I feel bad for the senpais but I'm gonna be really upset if Reina loses her solo.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Just because Reina has a legit crush on Taki-sensei doesn't mean she can't also be into Kumiko.

This isn't a CLAMP story! It doesn't have to be one true love per character.

Link Man

Banned
Kanon 13

Kitagawa is such a bro.

And now I'm starting to think that Stalker-chan is a ghost. Seems like something they'd pull.

kuBoz8R.jpg

New Sound Effect Alert!

lu6oCyq.jpg

Now that's ominous.

So the demons are targeting Yuichi. I can't imagine why, unless it ties into his loss of memories somehow.

Cornbread78

Kanon 13

Kitagawa is such a bro.

And now I'm starting to think that Stalker-chan is a ghost. Seems like something they'd pull.

kuBoz8R.jpg

New Sound Effect Alert!

lu6oCyq.jpg

Now that's ominous.

So the demons are targeting Yuichi. I can't imagine why, unless it ties into his loss of memories somehow.

Nice you're back on the Kanon trail now. It's. All coming together now. Mei is still awesome. Also, it's weird watching Shuffle right now and having Ayu's VA play one of the characters, lol.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 20

Shinji, after having another chat with his subconscious in what I will call the Eva Zone, gets out of another jam.

Honestly, that surprised me. I thought he was gonna end up staying there longer.

Anyway though, people are gonna have to be very careful around him now because his mental stability at this point appears to be about as strong as sales of console games in Japan.

Somebody make him play Splatoon or something.

Mature

Kanon 13

Kitagawa is such a bro.

kuBoz8R.jpg

New Sound Effect Alert!

lu6oCyq.jpg

Now that's ominous.

Sweet Jesus that face.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Hibike! Euphonium 10

RIP Yuri dream, but that's okay as long as Reina keeps interacting with Kumiko.

Natsuki know her kouhai well huh? Kumiko guilt problem is now resolved. Well, a bit too easily, but i guess Kumiko really lucky this time around having a good senpai.

Asuka answer "i don't give a damn" really show how her real self is quite contrast with persona she usually use. She's the type that won't try to get closer with someone.

Dammit ribbon, you have to ruin it for the whole team. Reina reaction with Kumiko after her boast is hilarious.

2nd audition... I got a feeling Kaori senpai will lose again. Ribbon will realize how much she fuck up when she see the majority voting for Reina (she probably going to vote for Reina too, but out of her admiration for Senpai, decide not to raise her hand).

Just because Reina has a legit crush on Taki-sensei doesn't mean she can't also be into Kumiko.

+1

John Blade

LBZ6yO__EGxM05UiJ5sQ6zOqhg-EPJUwJ-k8yb7HiMKVh2u0o_T0z_fAoXqqsJD1sTIT=w1264

I finish watching this show last Friday and let it sink in down a bit for few days. Also, I try to read other people comment of this show to see what they think and yea....this show have mix reaction based on other people opinion. I will put my impression of this show from what I can gather or understand as Gasaraki feel like a show that have this," Too Deep for Me" feeling.

I like the show quite a bit then I should be. It's a mix match of geo-political drama, realistic mech fighting and with mysticism mix all together in one which is crazy as all of this actually make the show interesting enough for me to continue watching it.

The plot of the show is broil down into this (from what I can gather). Two shadow forces are trying to found this powerful power which they're trying to get produce with the help of the Kai from opening a dimensional gateways from doing some sort of ancient dancing (don't think too hard as you will get lost quickly). This Kai are actually main character (Gowa) you're following with during the show which have quite a bit of skill which is been use in the Japanese military by testing the TA system (aka: Mecha). An incident happened when he met a girl during the ancient dance which he saw her again in battle later on the show. This girl (Miharu) also have this Kai power that Gowa have and both quickly share a deep spiritual bond which continue during the show. You find out why from a very long flashback of how they're actually from the Wantanabe Clan and how they pilot the Kugai (Aka: Mecha). Alone the way, geo political drama is forming by US and Japan from the earlier incident which become a major fiction with the two country to the point it reach a massive showdown climax. Also, talks about how Japan should go back in its past of their Samurai ways thinking. That's is a really rough draft of this show. Overall, very complex but not too hard for me to understand here (except the mysticism stuff which get weird too quickly).
The dialogue is very long and majority of the show is literally people talking about stuff. This might be why people start saying the show is boring as the pacing and the dialogue is long and slow. I am not question it as it's true. But this is where the show shine as if you do pay attention, you start to understanding the show quite a bit of what is really happening and why some of the character want to bring back Japan to its past than to continue in the future.

For character development, I have to say the writer of the show have develop the major character well enough (either by flashback or dialogue) so you understand them quite a bit of their past and why they think that way. Same with some of the secondary characters. Still, it doesn't mean you like them much. For both main character, they're very two dimensional and have literally no feeling between them. You can't really react to any of them really and kinda funny, the support character (mostly Gowa military team) are a bit better develop as you can react to them more than Gowa himself. Still, even with this issue, it didn't beat with one of the character in the show who is literally (in my opinion) the most worthless character in the show and only there for the climax ending.
For animation, the hand drawing side look decent enough and the mecha look good I have to say (might be the best if you want something in realistic side a bit). For the CG side, it does look a bit odd and you can notice the scene which have the CG look. Still, a show in late 90s, I don't think they master CG into hand drawing anime that early.
For music, all I can say it set the mood and tone well during the show but it isn't something you will recollect after the show is over. For me, the song I remember in the show is the opening and ending theme and the mecha battle theme. Other than that, the rest is not something I want to listen to as it isn't something catchy at all.
Overall, the show is fine for me. I kind of like how they mix quite a feel thing in the show which somehow work. This show is not for everyone and if you're coming in because of mecha battle, I would look elsewhere as you will be disappointed quite fast (hell, you might not stick around after the 1st episode). To me, Gasaraki is like a thinking anime show. It's something you need to analyze the dialogue to understanding what is happening and you need a lot of times to do it. If you don't have the time to try to understand what is happening, you will get lost and get bored quickly. Would recommend people who like slow pacing and deep dialogue show and don't mind the fight scene put on the back seat when watching this anime.

More pics of the show.
tumblr_n875dwtQIa1s5oxc0o2_1280.gif
tumblr_mml8iwEY131s5oxc0o1_500.gif
tumblr_n875dwtQIa1s5oxc0o1_500.gif
tumblr_n562bu0n2U1r4o89ko1_540.png
tumblr_nbp7n3RBTc1sgbz5jo1_500.gif

cajunator

Banned
Finally, Funimation's website fixed their territory problem. It seems it had to do with my ISP, but still, that was super annoying. Least now I can watch things when they actually go up. Also, since it's June, simulcast announcements should be starting any day now.

Now Funimation needs to fix its bad company problem.

This is true. Maybe she is bi! Well its a possibility hehee. Come to think of it, there arent many bisexual characters in anime that I can think of.

There's nothing like SSY and there will unfortunately never be something like it ever again.

I dunno about never again but its a rare gem. Very enjoyable from beginning to end yet leaves just enough meat on the bone to leave you wanting more of it, even though the story is well finalized. The way the show is designed though they could easily just gather a new group of characters down the line and create new conflicts.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 20

Shinji, after having another chat with his subconscious in what I will call the Eva Zone, gets out of another jam.

Honestly, that surprised me. I thought he was gonna end up staying there longer.

Anyway though, people are gonna have to be very careful around him now because his mental stability at this point appears to be about as strong as sales of console games in Japan.

Somebody make him play Splatoon or something.

Oh god. Do you want to destroy the last bits of confidence he has left?

This ED was really everything
http://youtu.be/LV31EHwtayo

It is a fine ED. One of my favorites, and thats quite a list to be on.

LBZ6yO__EGxM05UiJ5sQ6zOqhg-EPJUwJ-k8yb7HiMKVh2u0o_T0z_fAoXqqsJD1sTIT=w1264

I finish watching this show last Friday and let it sink in down a bit for few days. Also, I try to read other people comment of this show to see what they think and yea....this show have mix reaction based on other people opinion. I will put my impression of this show from what I can gather or understand as Gasaraki feel like a show that have this," Too Deep for Me" feeling.

I like the show quite a bit then I should be. It's a mix match of geo-political drama, realistic mech fighting and with mysticism mix all together in one which is crazy as all of this actually make the show interesting enough for me to continue watching it.

The plot of the show is broil down into this (from what I can gather). Two shadow forces are trying to found this powerful power which they're trying to get produce with the help of the Kai from opening a dimensional gateways from doing some sort of ancient dancing (don't think too hard as you will get lost quickly). This Kai are actually main character (Gowa) you're following with during the show which have quite a bit of skill which is been use in the Japanese military by testing the TA system (aka: Mecha). An incident happened when he met a girl during the ancient dance which he saw her again in battle later on the show. This girl (Miharu) also have this Kai power that Gowa have and both quickly share a deep spiritual bond which continue during the show. You find out why from a very long flashback of how they're actually from the Wantanabe Clan and how they pilot the Kugai (Aka: Mecha). Alone the way, geo political drama is forming by US and Japan from the earlier incident which become a major fiction with the two country to the point it reach a massive showdown climax. Also, talks about how Japan should go back in its past of their Samurai ways thinking. That's is a really rough draft of this show. Overall, very complex but not too hard for me to understand here (except the mysticism stuff which get weird too quickly).
The dialogue is very long and majority of the show is literally people talking about stuff. This might be why people start saying the show is boring as the pacing and the dialogue is long and slow. I am not question it as it's true. But this is where the show shine as if you do pay attention, you start to understanding the show quite a bit of what is really happening and why some of the character want to bring back Japan to its past than to continue in the future.

For character development, I have to say the writer of the show have develop the major character well enough (either by flashback or dialogue) so you understand them quite a bit of their past and why they think that way. Same with some of the secondary characters. Still, it doesn't mean you like them much. For both main character, they're very two dimensional and have literally no feeling between them. You can't really react to any of them really and kinda funny, the support character (mostly Gowa military team) are a bit better develop as you can react to them more than Gowa himself. Still, even with this issue, it didn't beat with one of the character in the show who is literally (in my opinion) the most worthless character in the show and only there for the climax ending.
For animation, the hand drawing side look decent enough and the mecha look good I have to say (might be the best if you want something in realistic side a bit). For the CG side, it does look a bit odd and you can notice the scene which have the CG look. Still, a show in late 90s, I don't think they master CG into hand drawing anime that early.
For music, all I can say it set the mood and tone well during the show but it isn't something you will recollect after the show is over. For me, the song I remember in the show is the opening and ending theme and the mecha battle theme. Other than that, the rest is not something I want to listen to as it isn't something catchy at all.
Overall, the show is fine for me. I kind of like how they mix quite a feel thing in the show which somehow work. This show is not for everyone and if you're coming in because of mecha battle, I would look elsewhere as you will be disappointed quite fast (hell, you might not stick around after the 1st episode). To me, Gasaraki is like a thinking anime show. It's something you need to analyze the dialogue to understanding what is happening and you need a lot of times to do it. If you don't have the time to try to understand what is happening, you will get lost and get bored quickly. Would recommend people who like slow pacing and deep dialogue show and don't mind the fight scene put on the back seat when watching this anime.

More pics of the show.
tumblr_n875dwtQIa1s5oxc0o2_1280.gif
tumblr_mml8iwEY131s5oxc0o1_500.gif
tumblr_n875dwtQIa1s5oxc0o1_500.gif
tumblr_n562bu0n2U1r4o89ko1_540.png
tumblr_nbp7n3RBTc1sgbz5jo1_500.gif

Im glad you enjoyed this series. For me its just WAY too slow and gritty to capture my attention. I gave it an honest try before. Just bored me a lot.

John Blade

Im glad you enjoyed this series. For me its just WAY too slow and gritty to capture my attention. I gave it an honest try before. Just bored me a lot.

Not surprise as it isn't easy to watch it. I guess, I like those slow pacing show quite well as I use to watch them when I was younger. Well, off with my next anime now which is something I put aside too long and now going to watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom