• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched the latest Soma. Erina is still a major bitch and not remotely cute at all.

She's pretty shit, even when the author tries to make her seem likeable she still comes off pretty terrible.

Man do I need more Hisako because she's the best female character in the series.

PK Gaming

She's pretty shit, even when the author tries to make her seem likeable she still comes off pretty terrible.

Man do I need more Hisako because she's the best female character in the series.

Shame the people watching won't get to see her at her best. She's pretty bad until the author gives her focus beyond being Erina's tool.

What is the greater context?
The general depiction of queer people in anime. You aren't wrong for pushing for subtlety and I get where you are coming from, there is validity in it. At the same time subtlety doesn't really change the status quo. Also with subtlety the viewer can interpret it however they like (with preconceptions), hence the discussion.

Samurai Flamenco 11

We full
Power Rangers now
lol.😆 What kind of Villain's name is Ugly Toxic Poison, this show is ridiculous. Killing people
through toxic kisses.
I can definitely see why this show is on AnimeGaf's List. Also that 🎶Flamenger🎶 Song is fabulous.

Man as ridiculous as this show is I really don't see how you could drop it Names2hard4you. It's fun in a ridiculous entertaining way.
LOL it was too much man. I was in love with the premise it had going for it until episode 7 came. I was shocked but accepted it. Then episode 11 drops lmfao. Going by this trend it could only get more and more wacky, and I lost all interest in the characters.

The toku arc in Flamenco is the weakest of all the arcs

It also had some downright amazing QUALITY. I will never forget the earthquake that made everyone's shirt change colors

Narag

Victory Gundam 7

t9Iiriwl.png

I wonder if/when I'll turn on this show because it's fucking awesome so far.

Shame the people watching won't get to see her at her best. She's pretty bad until the author gives her focus beyond being Erina's tool.

Yeah Hisako's at her best when she isn't locked behind Erina's shadow. Man when the author finally showed what Hisako's genuine personality truly is and gave her that confident boost, it really made her a great character. She's one of my top favorite female character in the series.

Gintama 130

Oh, it turned back into a sad dying dog episode. These short 1-3 episode arcs are good.

Goddamit Metroid you're still not even close to being finished yet. I mean you haven't even reached to the best serious arcs yet (Yoshiwara and 4 Devas arc). Which the former starts at episode 140 and the later at 214.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The general depiction of queer people in anime. You aren't wrong for pushing for subtlety and I get where you are coming from, there is validity in it. At the same time subtlety doesn't really change the status quo. Also with subtlety the viewer can interpret it however they like (with preconceptions), hence the discussion.
I also think that, as dead as we like to think authors are, intent is important. You can argue that Anne from Anne of Green Gables is a lesbian because she has an intensely close relationship with her female best friend (aka "bosom buddy"), but I would also argue that it's disingenuous to call that a queer relationship - especially when the author herself was, well, at least publicly homophobic (and understandably so for a woman in the early 20th century).

free wouldve been worth watching if it had explicit gay sex scenes imo
So THAT's what "backstroke" actually means!

Lain

Seraph of the End 10

Another episode, another waste of 20 minutes of my time in which little happens, complete with a useless flashback and final reunion used as a closing point. I feel that the direction of this show has gotten worse as it went on, with a lot of wasted time and shoddy fighting sequences. It made me go from being interested in checking the manga to not being sure anymore if I really want to.

jediyoshi

To say that Midori or the characters from Euphonium represent queerness also does a disservice to the queer mangaka who are churning out good work but who are never represented in anime because there's no market for a Takemiya Jin adaptation.

Is anyone actually generalizing to this degree here? The difference in representation of romance in general between these two specifically is so wide, I'm not actually sure whatever it is you are pointing out the distinction to is something people would expect to consume in anime to begin with.

Sterok

Ika Musume 8

You'd think Ika would've gotten sick earlier. Seems she didn't quite make up the shrimp stuff to get more for herself. At least Sanae came out for the better. Ika sure has no problem trash talking little kids. I do think her castle is interesting. Nice slappy fins. If she can down a sand castle, she can probably down a fortress. Should be about the same effort. Umbrellas are fascinating tools. I like how it even got a name.

jgminto

What is needed is complexity instead of subtlety. There's nothing wrong with having queer characteristics attributed to background characters without exploring the subject but if you're hinting at a queer characters or a queer relationship but don't commit to it and explore it, there isn't actually anything said about the subject. If you want people to care about a relationship above the level of "OMG yuri! Praise the garden!" or a male alternative then you have to commit to it and explore it. Take a romance anime, such as Ore Monogatari this season. We are meant to care about the development of Takeo and Yamato's relationship in a romantic sense. There's no "maybe they'll get together", it's explicit and explored as the show progresses. Similarly, this is why harem shows are so garbage, because they don't commit to relationships.
free wouldve been worth watching if it had explicit gay sex scenes imo

Yes. This is fine too.

ibyea

Banned
Sound Euphonium 10
As someone who has heard of horror stories from my sister's high school's theater group because asshole seniors couldn't accept they didn't get certain parts, holy shit did this episode piss me off. Yellow bandana girl didn't do this because she had actual concerns about bias. She did it because she is an asshole who thinks the senior and the person she admired deserved it and who cares if that other person is more talented. The whole thing is so silly I can't take this drama seriously, and have the same opinion towards it as I had towards my sister's theater group's drama, it's stupid. And Taki wants to solve this audition problem via democracy from students? Are you kidding me? Students complained about bias, but this is actually the most open to bias. Yeah I know I am being emotional but if fiction can make you cry, why can't it make you angry? Right? ^_^

Rant aside, I have things I liked about this episode. Haruka once again shows us why she is the president even though she had expressed feelings that she wasn't qualified. She goes in front of the class and confronts the problem head on. Instead of shoving the problems under the rug and whispering about it, she is honest about the problem the class have and tackles it head on. Then there is Natsuki who is an awesome character. That restaurant conversation with her and Kumiko was my favorite part of the episode and man did her growth show. Finally, compliments to the show at making me feel a slight chill when Asuka drops her cheery mask for the moment. This time it wasn't an outright temper tantrum like last time. It was just the way she just doesn't care, the slight edge to the voice, that close up as if there is something hidden underneath her stoic expression. Which is why Kumiko's narration afterwards was so unnecessary.

Finally, student/teacher crush thing. Oh boy is this really the series that should be tackling such a subject?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sound Euphonium 10
As someone who has heard of horror stories from my sister's high school's theater group because asshole seniors couldn't accept they didn't get certain parts, holy shit did this episode piss me off. Yellow bandana girl didn't do this because she had actual concerns about bias. She did it because she is an asshole who thinks the senior and the person she admired deserved it and who cares if that other person is more talented. The whole thing is so silly I can't take this drama seriously, and have the same opinion towards it as I had towards my sister's theater group's drama, it's stupid. And Taki wants to solve this audition problem via democracy from students? Are you kidding me? Students complained about bias, but this is actually the most open to bias. Yeah I know I am being emotional but if fiction can make you cry, why can't it make you angry? Right? ^_^

Rant aside, I have things I liked about this episode. Haruka once again shows us why she is the president even though she had expressed feelings that she wasn't qualified. She goes in front of the class and confronts the problem head on. Instead of shoving the problems under the rug and whispering about it, she is honest about the problem the class have and tackles it head on. Then there is Natsuki who is an awesome character. That restaurant conversation with her and Kumiko was my favorite part of the episode and man did her growth show.

Finally, student/teacher crush thing. Oh boy is this really the series that should be tackling such a subject?

why wouldn't it approach the topic? student/teacher crushes are older than civilization itself, and hardly scandalous

javac

ive always appreciated these posts

keep it up

This weeks Blu-ray and DVD releases in the US for 06/09/15.
Blu-ray
06/09/15
Knights of Sidonia: Season 1 Collection [Sentai]
Run Time: 300 min
Audio: Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 / English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 / Spanish: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish
Format: Two-disc set (2 BDs)
Price: @ Amazon.com: $62.98
Collector's Edition @ Amazon.com: $57.49
Price: @ rightstuf.com: $44.49
Collector's Edition @ rightstuf.com: $59.99
Standard:
VREiQ5om.jpg

Collector's:
TNdjdx7m.jpg

Mardock Scramble: The Trilogy [Sentai]
Run Time: 199 min
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 / Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
Subtitles: English
Format: Three-disc set (3 BDs)
Price: @ Amazon.com: $28.79
Price: @ rightstuf.com: $32.49
r5N1IMzl.jpg

Hyperdimension Neptunia: Complete Collection [Funimation]
Run Time: 325 min
Audio: English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1 / Japanese: Dolby TrueHD 2.0
Format: Four-disc set (2 BDs, 2 DVDs)
Price: @ Amazon.com: $37.39
Price: Special Edition @ Amazon.com: $40.29
Price: @ rightstuf.com: $38.99
Special Edition @ rightstuf.com: $41.99
Standard:
yTUtxqvm.jpg

Special:
83oAzeOm.jpg

OniAi: Complete Collection (Save Edition) [Funimation]
Audio: Japanese: Dolby TrueHD 2.0
Format: Two-disc set (2 BDs)
Price: @ Amazon.com: $14.39
Price: @ rightstuf.com: $14.99
Gvk98z3m.jpg

Blu-ray
06/10/15
Yuki Yuna is a Hero Vol. 2 [Pony Canyon]
Run Time: 100 min
Audio: Japanese: Dolby Digital 2.0 / English: Dolby Digital 2.0
Subtitles: English, Spanish
Format: Three-disc set (1 BD, 1 DVD, 1 CD)
Price: @ RightStuf.com (Exclusive): $71.98
aW7HOk0l.jpg

DVD
06/09/15
The Sacred Blacksmith: Complete Collection (Save Edition) [Funimation]
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1 (448 kbps) / Japanese: Dolby Digital 2.0
Format: Two-disc set (2 DVDs)
Price: @ Amazon.com: $19.45
Price: @ rightstuf.com: $17.99
Hqzf71Dm.jpg

CLAMP Double Feature: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle / xxxHOLiC (Save Edition) [Funimation]
Run Time: 90 min
Audio: English, Japanese
Format: Two-disc set (2 DVDs)
Price: @ Amazon.com: $6.49
Price: @ rightstuf.com: $5.99
nMQSbpRm.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is anyone actually generalizing to this degree here? The difference in representation of romance in general between these two specifically is so wide, I'm not actually sure whatever it is you are pointing out the distinction to is something people would expect to consume in anime to begin with.
For Euphonium, I'm just going by the impressions here and what people tell me in IRC. I mean, look at the thread title. I just remember similar talk regarding Midori from Tamako as well, and brought it up because of the KyoAni connection.

What is needed is complexity instead of subtlety. There's nothing wrong with having queer characteristics attributed to background characters without exploring the subject but if you're hinting at a queer characters or a queer relationship but don't commit to it and explore it, there isn't actually anything said about the subject. If you want people to care about a relationship above the level of "OMG yuri! Praise the garden!" or a male alternative then you have to commit to it and explore it. Take a romance anime, such as Ore Monogatari this season. We are meant to care about the development of Takeo and Yamato's relationship in a romantic sense. There's no "maybe they'll get together", it's explicit and explored as the show progresses. Similarly, this is why harem shows are so garbage, because they don't commit to relationships.
Yes. This is fine too.
The thing is, there is a lot of shounen-ai that gets adapted. It's just that it's usually weird science fiction/fantasy stuff that I don't really have an interest in, and outside of you, DTL, and maybe a handful of other people, shounen-ai and yaoi don't get any kind of play here.

ibyea

Banned
why wouldn't it approach the topic? student/teacher crushes are older than civilization itself, and hardly scandalous

I guess you are right. For some reason I have this wary feeling about it. But hey, sometimes feelings are irrational, eh?

Sabagebu OVA 04-06

I guess Sabagebu wasn't as good or funny as I thought it was. Maybe these OVA were just weak.

Good to know Poorara is a cuckold though, worst girl keeps dropping further and further

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I also think that, as dead as we like to think authors are, intent is important. You can argue that Anne from Anne of Green Gables is a lesbian because she has an intensely close relationship with her female best friend (aka "bosom buddy"), but I would also argue that it's disingenuous to call that a queer relationship - especially when the author herself was, well, at least publicly homophobic (and understandably so for a woman in the early 20th century).

Right, so here is where we run into the problems as what was the intentions with the framing of episode 8 and here is the kicker would we be having this debate if it was Shinchi on that mountain?

Sterok

Ika Musume 9

I guess deception is one way for Ika to make a friend. Chizuru is scary, but she's not that mean. I would be more likely to play Stocking Fighter over Street Fighter. Now sure how Hedgehog Kart compares to Mario Kart. Is Sonic in it? Makeup is a powerful tool in the right hands. Those hands are not Ika's. Takeru knows how to use them though. So many people fighting over little Ika. She should be proud of herself. A vaporization gun? Or does it just make things invisible? Chizuru doesn't let people mess around. Nagisa knows to fear the ninja.

does anyone actually die in symphogear

The redhead girl who was Tsubasa's partner in the first episode. But I'm not convinced she's dead!!!

Other then that no, everyone uses their swan songs multiple times but you don't die

In fact after the one time Tsubasa exploded in blood like Roronoa Zoro after fighting Kuma no one really took any damage from using them lol

wonzo

Banned
The redhead girl who was Tsubasa's partner in the first episode. But I'm not convinced she's dead!!!

Other then that no, everyone uses their swan songs multiple times but you don't die

In fact after the one time Tsubasa exploded in blood like Roronoa Zoro after fighting Kuma no one really took any damage from using them lol
the only important character in the show!!!!!!!!!
you mean to tell me they actually dont beat the shit outta each other so much that blood comes pouring out of every orifice of their body? pass

Maria's imouto died in s2 episode 1 too.
Basically seems this show seems like to make a important character(at least for someone) die in episode 1.

Quasar

Euphonium 10 - Another nice episode. Fun intra-band politics. Guess its another episode for the shippers to get upset over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom