• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibyea

Banned
0VEnwcG.png

D:

ibyea

Banned
Neon Genesis Evangelion - 20

Shinji, after having another chat with his subconscious in what I will call the Eva Zone, gets out of another jam.

Honestly, that surprised me. I thought he was gonna end up staying there longer.

Anyway though, people are gonna have to be very careful around him now because his mental stability at this point appears to be about as strong as sales of console games in Japan.

Somebody make him play Splatoon or something.

Ouch!

Samurai Flamenco 10

That was some psychological hero stuff that was going on. Poor Mari got completely destroyed by King Torture's speech. It was nice seeing Hazama defeat King Torture while Goto stopped the rocket. Also a plus for Mr. Scientist beating some ass.

Still though this show got a bit bloody.
Can't wait to see your impressions for episode 11. That was where I gave up lol.

I dunno about never again but its a rare gem. Very enjoyable from beginning to end yet leaves just enough meat on the bone to leave you wanting more of it, even though the story is well finalized. The way the show is designed though they could easily just gather a new group of characters down the line and create new conflicts.

I wouldnt want a sequel, I feel like it wrapped up really nicely. Maybe a prequel OVA in one of the older time periods would be nice. How the world coped with PK users.

Cant wait for my third rewatch this winter. Its such a great cold weather show. Really adds to the shows atmosphere.

cajunator

Banned
I wouldnt want a sequel, I feel like it wrapped up really nicely. Maybe a prequel OVA in one of the older time periods would be nice. How the world coped with PK users.

Cant wait for my third rewatch this winter. Its such a great cold weather show. Really adds to the shows atmosphere.

This would be pretty awesome. It might end up too much like Elfen Lied lol.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 21

We get some history on NERV and Shinji's mother.

So wait, did
Ritsuko's mother strangle Rei when she was little? It looks like she killed her! How exactly is Rei still alive if that's the case?

Also
aw man, Kaji. :( Can't say he didn't have it coming given how he was infiltrating NERV like that, but I liked that guy.

Asuka's probably not gonna take that news very well.

javac

Another awesome post from yourself. I've been meaning to watch this one too, really looks like my cup of tea. I watched Flag which was also directed by Ryosuke Takahashi and enjoyed that quite a bit. I really enjoy those types of series, that being slow, methodical ones that make you think a bit and take their time building the world. I reviewed Flag here so if you're ever interested in another similar type of series, maybe you could give that a watch. Its not got as much action as Gasaraki and doesn't really focus on the mecha element too much and I can see a lot of people not really liking it, but I found it very enjoyable and different regardless. Something shouldn't be rewarded for being different alone, but taking a core idea and concept and making an interesting story out of it is a positive in my book. What you said about Gasaraki applies to Flag too, from a soundtrack that works in the context of the show and not something that you'd really remember outside of (apart from the opening) etc. Will need to check out Votoms one day...

Paltheos

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 21

So wait, did
Ritsuko's mother strangle Rei when she was little? It looks like she killed her! How exactly is Rei still alive if that's the case?

You're actually going to get a near-direct answer for this (you can infer it). As a kid I had a tough time sitting through it. Enjoy your trip down the rabbit hole. ;)

sonicmj1

Sound! Euphonium 10

The show is back in its usual form here. Another really excellent episode. I love the direction in the scene where Yuko first expresses her doubts about the audition. The way the framing separates Kousaka from the group, the sound effects and shake of the camera as Yuko stomps over, everything. As time passes, the cast grows more developed, and the scenes have room for nearly everyone to react.

Kumiko's role is getting kind of interesting, less in terms of how she sees herself than how others see her. She's often pretty uncomfortable socially, but she hides it well with this diligent mask, so people see her as more serious and together than she really is. The show expresses this well in her scene with Asuka, with her great sigh of relief after the vice president leaves. Partially because of Asuka's unpredictability, and partially because of the social responsibility she's saddled with, Kumiko feels tense in that situation. That polite facade takes effort, and she doesn't feel comfortable letting it down in front of anyone she hasn't known for a long time.

I'm looking forward to the next episode because there are a lot of dramatically satisfying ways it could end. Kousaka will probably get the solo, but her not getting it would be a totally valid story path and would definitely encourage some kind of development. Whatever happens, this is still the best show this season by a longshot.

John Blade

Another awesome post from yourself. I've been meaning to watch this one too, really looks like my cup of tea. I watched Flag which was also directed by Ryosuke Takahashi and enjoyed that quite a bit. I really enjoy those types of series, that being slow, methodical ones that make you think a bit and take their time building the world. I reviewed Flag here so if you're ever interested in another similar type of series, maybe you could give that a watch. Its not got as much action as Gasaraki and doesn't really focus on the mecha element too much and I can see a lot of people not really liking it, but I found it very enjoyable and different regardless. Something shouldn't be rewarded for being different alone, but taking a core idea and concept and making an interesting story out of it is a positive in my book. What you said about Gasaraki applies to Flag too, from a soundtrack that works in the context of the show and not something that you'd really remember outside of (apart from the opening) etc. Will need to check out Votoms one day...

I did see FLAG under recommend choice on My Anime List and might be something to look into. Note; if it's very good from what people say, I might take a bite and buy the DVD or Blu-ray of this show and watch it as I like to get a physical copy in my collection. Unfortunately, getting a copy might be a problem as it look like it won't be as cheap. Even RightStuff for this show is missing Vol. 2 which is no go around $90 dollars. Yesh.....Also, if it's under the same director, then Blue Gender is another show I heard some good things on it.

For now, I am putting off serious anime stuff for a bit and go back to something I like to finish which is I''s anime by masakazu katsura. Don't know if you love those teen drama romance stuff but was a fan of the manga and want to watch the anime for a long while now. Will put my impression once I finish the show. Going to be interesting take.

Arcadius

Banned
Yuru Yuri

Ah, it's good to watch cute slice of life again. Absolutely fantastic anime about a group of girls just living out their lives. Incredibly adorable and totally cute, it was really fun to watch the first season. Really miss the no drama, cute girls, let's have fun atmosphere these types of anime invoke.

Yuri elements involved were nice, even if it was very PG13, it was still a nice watch. Chitose made everything incredibly funny with her fantasies.

Will start watching S2 tomorrow or so, love love love Yuru Yuri!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Er, of course it was. The distinction is that that was unrequited and this is perceived, TLS's story doesn't even make sense unless you acknowledge that it was happening at all
I'm anti SDBurton in that I don't like the devaluing of yuri. :p
As intellectually dishonest Sakura Trick or that Cat and Dog anime were, you could at least confidently say they are yuri without qualifiers.

Cornbread78

Shuffle! Ep. 9-15
14e7b9447c86275ebb4aae11a04ec654.jpg

For some reason this series is getting to me. The best girl, Kaede, is going lose since she is the true childhood friend out of all the "childhood friends," which sucks, and the tone of the show is aweful. I mean everyone is miserable about something at some point and there's always a girl upset. Maybe it's just me, lol. I thought it would change going into season 2, but, Oh well, only a few episodes left to suffer along with the rest of the harem. At least the MC got the Loli chick back that lives with him and the best girl like Yui in SAO.. Maybe this one has a good ending, but for some reason I think it's gonna be drama, drama, drama..

Kunagisa

Neo Member

Was in Kino and tempted to buy the translation for shits and giggles.
Flipped through a few pages and decided to glance at the back.

Doesn't help the translator keeps referring the author as Ohmori even though the cover page's literally Omori. I understand that GA Bunko version's filled with typos too, but come on. There goes any of my temptation to buy translated LNs since Zaregoto.

On unrelated note, why does summer looking so boring? At least the original ones actually look interesting for once. Oh well, if I end up dropping all of them at least ARC-V will still be airing.

javac

Some artwork:
Collector’s Edition Blu-ray/DVD combi release of Sword Art Online II: Part 1.
gH0iA57.jpg

• Rigid case
  • Digipack containing the discs (1 x Blu-ray + 1 x DVD)
  • Booklet featuring material translated from the Japanese release and imagery exclusive to our release outside of Japan.
  • Collector’s Box that will store four volumes we’ll be releasing.
Standard Edition DVD of Sword Art Online II: Part 1.
nqUZMij.jpg
Limited Edition Blu-ray/DVD combi release of Tiger & Bunny: The Rising.
n5v2luQ.jpg

• Out 29th June
  • Rigid case
  • Digipack containing two discs (1 x Blu-ray and 1 x DVD)
  • Dubbed and Subbed
  • 4 UK exclusive art cards showcasing the heroes.

More Anime Limited News:
  • Kill la Kill Part 3 is targeted for a June 29th release.
  • Due to a delay in approvals, Space Dandy Season 2 and the Season 1 & 2 DVD Box Set are being pushed back to 3rd August.
  • Cool Space Dandy related news at MCM Manchester Comic Con in July

NIS America:
Standard Edition Wagnaria!!2 Blu-ray on June 23rd (SRP $54.99):
IKaxmo6.jpg

Standard Edition YuruYuri Season 1 Blu-ray on June 23rd (SRP $54.99):
P6yDvq0.jpg

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'm anti SDBurton in that I don't like the devaluing of yuri. :p
As intellectually dishonest Sakura Trick or that Cat and Dog anime were, you could at least confidently say they are yuri without qualifiers.
You have no idea what you are talking about even within the context of the shows. Your myopic views of sexuality are voicing support for homosexuality as a commodity while you pile in to toss dissent at homosexual tendencies existing within characters that are allowed to exist as individuals beyond their sexuality. In case this thread wasn't filled with enough noise your commentary on the authenticity of homosexuality within works you are not watching is less than needed.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You have no idea what you are talking about even within the context of the shows. Your myopic views of sexuality are voicing support for homosexuality as a commodity while you pile in to toss dissent at homosexual tendencies existing within characters that are allowed to exist as individuals beyond their sexuality. In case this thread wasn't filled with enough noise your commentary on the authenticity of homosexuality within works you are not watching is less than needed.
No, I'm reacting to people's posts about yuri in the thread, which is the equivalent of people freaking out in the 90s because Rachel kissed Pheobe on Friends in that one episode.

Not that I want to hold Sense8 as some kind of beacon in the darkness, but other than the odd dude asking if there is "shaved vagina" on the show, there isn't any teetering over the fact that the show features a trans woman having sex with another woman. Or two men having sex with each other either.

Trying to apply Western preconceptions of sexuality into a culture that is fairly heterocentric and then into a medium that fetishizes queerness is a problematic prospect, and expecting a creative group to imbue queerness into texts that, historically, they have shown no inclination for doing so, is just strange. To say that Midori or the characters from Euphonium represent queerness also does a disservice to the queer mangaka who are churning out good work but who are never represented in anime because there's no market for a Takemiya Jin adaptation.

Cornbread78

Man, I just added the most random shit to my Crunchy queue be ready for these impressions when I'm done with Samurai Bride and shit Shuffle. I've never even heard of these, but they were all on Crunchyroll so, it's easy. Now, I just have to remember to update my MAL, lol. I'll have to scour Twitter for a new guest pass tomorrow, lol.

Euphonium 10

"huh? Rabu?"

Bwahahaha. Best line delivered by best girl. Hopefully now that the ship has sank we can now just enjoy the show without the qualifier of people only liking it for the yuri bait.

Also please no distractions about a possible bisexual ending, not because being bi isn't real but because you might as well be asking for a harem ending. It just isn't going to happen.

Euphonium 10

This seems relevant for those of you who are only watching this for the "yuri".
Do people like that really exist?

Man this is too perfect.

cajunator

Banned
Yuru Yuri

Ah, it's good to watch cute slice of life again. Absolutely fantastic anime about a group of girls just living out their lives. Incredibly adorable and totally cute, it was really fun to watch the first season. Really miss the no drama, cute girls, let's have fun atmosphere these types of anime invoke.

Yuri elements involved were nice, even if it was very PG13, it was still a nice watch. Chitose made everything incredibly funny with her fantasies.

Will start watching S2 tomorrow or so, love love love Yuru Yuri!

Awesome! Yuru yuri is pretty adorable.
i knew you'd like it hehee

Midonin

Character songs are one of my favorite things. They're easily transportable, highly emotional, and many of them are a way to glean at least some basic insight into the character singing them. I love openings and endings - the way each one of those is basically a 90-second music video helps - but character songs are always explicitly created for the show, they're like a piece of it in musical form.

Of course there are many for shows I've completed that I don't have, but it's by far the biggest part of my collection, by design. So I look forward to seeing what they can do for Euphonium, especially since Kumiko's VA - Tomoyo Kurosawa - is a professional singer beforehand. She did the OP for Doki Doki Precure, but ironically, her biggest role as a "musical" character - Otome in Aikatsu - didn't give her a chance to sing since Aikatsu used different signing voices.

Many Aikatsu actors have either been singers beforehand - Minako Kotobuki and Manami Numakura (and Kanae Itou as of this season) - but to hear them actually sing, they have to do it in places other than Aikatsu.

I also like Etotama having a lot of main characters because it means the possibility of a lot of character songs. Four albums' worth. I could go on and on about this.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Euphonium 10

"huh? Rabu?"

Bwahahaha. Best line delivered by best girl. Hopefully now that the ship has sank we can now just enjoy the show without the qualifier of people only liking it for the yuri bait.

Also please no distractions about a possible bisexual ending, not because being bi isn't real but because you might as well be asking for a harem ending. It just isn't going to happen..

Yea, that isn't happening, we are too far down the rabbit hole on this.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
No, I'm reacting to people's posts about yuri in the thread, which is the equivalent of people freaking out in the 90s because Rachel kissed Pheobe on Friends in that one episode.

Not that I want to hold Sense8 as some kind of beacon in the light, but you other than the odd dude asking if there is "shaved vagina" on the show, there isn't any teetering over the fact that the show features a trans woman having sex with another woman. Or two men having sex with each other either.

Trying to apply Western preconceptions of sexuality into a culture that is fairly heterocentric and then into a medium that fetishizes queerness is a problematic prospect, and expecting a creative group to imbue queerness into texts that, historically, they have shown no inclination for doing so, is just strange. To say that Midori or the characters from Euphonium represent queerness also does a disservice to the queer mangaka who are churning out good work but who are never represented in anime because there's no market for a Takemiya Jin adaptation.
what you are saying is more discriminatory than you probably realize.

certain characters in an excellent show were very close to one another, to the point where this closeness was represented through intimacy that might not have simply been friendship. later, one of these characters expressed a romantic interest in a member of the opposite sex.

tamako had a gay character in it, but you are marginalizing her existence because the work is somehow not gay enough, and the people working on it don't understand homosexuality because they didn't make a work that completely revolves around it.

instead of letting characters exist as people you're obsessing over their sexuality to the point where it defines them. somehow all of this only counts if said character actively gets it on with another member of the same sex too, and no deviation from said gayness is allowed. rip midori. the gay barometer says you aren't allowed in fiction that isn't centered around rigid homosexuality. somehow what kyoani is doing is not okay, but exploitative works centered around sexualizing underage girls are.
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

this is worse than when you compared free to yuyushiki.

Of course there are many for shows I've completed that I don't have, but it's by far the biggest part of my collection, by design. So I look forward to seeing what they can do for Euphonium, especially since Kumiko's VA - Tomoyo Kurosawa - is a professional singer beforehand. She did the OP for Doki Doki Precure, but ironically, her biggest role as a "musical" character - Otome in Aikatsu - didn't give her a chance to sing since Aikatsu used different signing voices.

Isn't she also the VA for Miria in Idolmaster CG? I'm sure she's had a few songs under that role.

Samurai Flamenco 11

We full
Power Rangers now
lol.😆 What kind of Villain's name is Ugly Toxic Poison, this show is ridiculous. Killing people
through toxic kisses.
I can definitely see why this show is on AnimeGaf's List. Also that 🎶Flamenger🎶 Song is fabulous.

Man as ridiculous as this show is I really don't see how you could drop it Names2hard4you. It's fun in a ridiculous entertaining way.

Midonin

Isn't she also the VA for Miria in Idolmaster CG? I'm sure she's had a few songs under that role.
She is Miria! And Sylphy!

Though the most amusing case of casting in Euphonium has to be Reina. The biggest role she had before this? Chaika. Travant, Chaika.

This is why I care about voice actors as much as I do. Their personal lives, not really, but knowing whose cast is vital for both making jokes and knowing who's eventually going to be singing when I pick up the show's music releases.

But I'm mostly a fan of Maaya Uchida because she bridges the gap of tokusatsu and anime.

What kind of Villain's name is Ugly Toxic Poison, this show is ridiculous
Well, if you want me to talk about some of the puns and plotlines Toei's put in Super Sentai, I can speak. Or you can just visit TokuGAF.

She is Miria! And Sylphy!

Though the most amusing case of casting in Euphonium has to be Reina. The biggest role she had before this? Chaika. Travant, Chaika.

This is why I care about voice actors as much as I do. Their personal lives, not really, but knowing whose cast is vital for both making jokes and knowing who's eventually going to be singing when I pick up the show's music releases.

But I'm mostly a fan of Maaya Uchida because she bridges the gap of tokusatsu and anime.

Well, if you want me to talk about some of the puns and plotlines Toei's put in Super Sentai, I can speak. Or you can just visit TokuGAF.

What's TokuGaf about?

firehawk12

Subete no aware

certain characters in an excellent show were very close to one another, to the point where this closeness was represented through intimacy that might not have simply been friendship. later, one of these characters expressed a romantic interest in a member of the opposite sex.

tamako had a gay character in it, but you are marginalizing her existence because the work is somehow not gay enough, and the people working on it don't understand homosexuality because they didn't make a work that completely revolves around it.

instead of letting characters exist as people you're obsessing over their sexuality to the point where it defines them. somehow all of this only counts if said character actively gets it on with another member of the same sex too, and no deviation from said gayness is allowed. rip midori. the gay barometer says you aren't allowed in fiction that isn't centered around rigid homosexuality. somehow what kyoani is doing is not okay, but exploitative works centered around sexualizing underage girls are.

I think the fact that we have to invent a word - "yuribaiting" - for what people perceived to have happened on the show lately speaks more volume than anything I can really say about my feelings on the topic.

If people want to ship characters, that's perfectly fine. But I think trying to imply subtext is text, as in the case with Midori from Tamako, becomes problematic at some point. Not because I am somehow prejudiced against people who aren't 100% grade A queer, but because I think given what I know about Japan and anime, it's more likely that the character is sad that she will eventually lose her best friend. If not to Mochizou, then to someone else. When you watch Spaced or Shaun of the Dead and the Nick Frost character is sad that the Simon Pegg character is starting a new relationship, does that mean Nick Frost's character is suddenly gay even though there's no other evidence in the text? Perhaps, but I'm just more inclined to say it's not likely because of our social conventions of homosocial relationships between men. I mean, there's a reason why people refer to wives as the "old ball and chain" when it's just guys around - because the idea is that women are intruding on male relationships. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I read Midori in that way. Not because I hate bisexuals or queer-fluid characters, but because this is the more likely "Occam's razor" answer.

There's a whole spectrum of sexuality and gender identity, but anime is very much not the medium to explore these issues. You have a character in Denpa Kyoushi feeling worried about coming out as a crossdresser, and that's really about as much as I expect from the medium these days. Because stuff like Bokura no Hentai will never get adapted.

I don't remember what I said about Free, but if you think those characters are queer, then I really don't know what to say. If my reference was to Yuyushiki not featuring lesbians, then I guess I have the same response as well.

You have some points but I don't think you are acknowledging the greater context.

Link Man

Banned
Kanon 14

qTYrqPp.jpg

v76JsYg.jpg

Love how the genre switched to horror here.

Mmkbd9Q.jpg

lol oba-chan

And another memory unlocked. It's all coming together...I think?

WYksI5Q.gif

lol

And now time for some Sayuri backstory.

fKIqJcT.jpg

Oh god, it's Big Dango Family all over again.

Damn, even explaining why Sayuri refers to herself in the third person. The writing in this series just jumped up a few notches.

Ah, Pachelbel's Canon in D.

lACgR93.jpg

I think we've got the theme for the series.

(Still not sure why they're spelling it with a K.)

HOLY FUCK!!!

This episode just escalated everything to insane levels.

Narag

Victory Gundam 6

I used to really be put off by some of these Zanscare mecha designs due to the goofy eyes but man do I love these things in motion. The moving eyelids and the pupils allows for some expression I didn't really expect from this show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom