• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kino's Journey 03

Definitely the weakest episode by far. Kino visits four countries this episode giving very little time to develop what makes each of them interesting. Most had some quirk that I found of little interest and I feel defining a nation by some silly quirk is disingenuous to the people and their culture. That and it did little to invoke much thought.

The way the story of three nations was interwoven could have been interesting but I just found it sloppy. The narrative structure was well done but the plot was a mess. I find it hard to believe that one could derive sorrow from a poem that no one understands the meaning of. Using random words such as "blood, maggot, and death" strung together in a nonsensical way does nothing to invoke sadness but sounds like the ravings of a madman. I also find it hard to believe this text could be misconstrued as the end of the world. You'd think that countries with vast technological experience would develop some critical thinking and not rush headlong to wipe out a nation over some cryptic text in a notebook.

This episode was bad. It took me several attempts to finish it and I'm left unsatisfied. After the stellar second episode, I would hope the journey continues on the right path.

PK Gaming

The Sabagebu! OVAs are definitely lacking (especially that first one, ugh) but there were some great moments.

nJxSzUE.png

Actually you know what? Scratch that. Great moments for me alone.

uJj5DmS.png

Hah. Hah. Hah. Hah.

cajunator

Banned
tesagure-bukatsumono 1-2

I really like this. How is it that the conversations flow so naturally? It sounds like a real conversation unscripted!
The animation is actually pretty good for cg.

it was no mistake

but you are 100% correct

megumi the best

Of course Im correct :D

Mandelbo

I was literally just about to post about Tesagure...

Tesagure - 01

I definitely see the comparisons to a radio show. Certain parts are very obviously ablibbed, since they start talking and laughing over each other. It's a very weird thing to see in an anime which I don't think I've ever seen done before. I'm not really sure if I enjoyed it, though; while it was incredibly interesting to watch, I also began to stop seeing the characters as characters and merely as voice actresses. It had the distinct feeling that for the majority of the episode they just stuck them in a room with a vague topic to talk about and put some MMD animation on top (which I didn't really like tbh.) That kind of structure isn't necessarily a bad thing but I don't know if it's for me.

cajunator

Banned
Shimoseka new key visual

well this looks cute but I have no idea what it will be about.

Kino's Journey 03

Definitely the weakest episode by far. Kino visits four countries this episode giving very little time to develop what makes each of them interesting. Most had some quirk that I found of little interest and I feel defining a nation by some silly quirk is disingenuous to the people and their culture. That and it did little to invoke much thought.

The way the story of three nations was interwoven could have been interesting but I just found it sloppy. The narrative structure was well done but the plot was a mess. I find it hard to believe that one could derive sorrow from a poem that no one understands the meaning of. Using random words such as "blood, maggot, and death" strung together in a nonsensical way does nothing to invoke sadness but sounds like the ravings of a madman. I also find it hard to believe this text could be misconstrued as the end of the world. You'd think that countries with vast technological experience would develop some critical thinking and not rush headlong to wipe out a nation over some cryptic text in a notebook.

This episode was bad. It took me several attempts to finish it and I'm left unsatisfied. After the stellar second episode, I would hope the journey continues on the right path.

This show is a commentary on humanity and the human condition. The singular quirks of each country serve as an exploration into a particular facet of our humanity and criticize its fallable traits. Its not going to be a series filled with a continuous narrative and if thats what you were expecting then this isnt the series for you. The four countries are loosely intertwined but it is a jab at religion and how countries and people might blindly follow a particular belief or tradition even to destruction of themselves or others. In the context of todays world, this episode cuts very deep.
Kinos Journey is a journey into the depths of what we are as humans.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Right, so here is where we run into the problems as what was the intentions with the framing of episode 8 and here is the kicker would we be having this debate if it was Shinchi on that mountain?
The thing is that the whole Class S thing changes the way you are meant to interpret homosocial female school girl relationships. As I mentioned ages ago, how many lesbians are in MariMite? Are Sachiko and Yumi in a yuri relationship? Unless you purposely want to ignore the context that surrounds that text, they're probably not.

And this is why your opinions are worthless.
I never claimed they were worth anything, nor was I talking about the show specifically, but the reaction to the show. lol

Kino's Journey 04

Perhaps I am being overly critical of this series after that awful third episode but there are so many little things I could nitpick from this episode that it feels as if the magic is lost. Again, the narrative structure and the framing was well done but the plot left a sour taste in my mouth.

This episode explores Kino and Herme's past and gives the backstory of what makes each of them tick. I will say that it did work to explain Kino's paranoia, ie why she carries so many weapons on her in episode two. There were some great establishing shots such as the hospital on the hill while Kino walks among trash littered alleyways that visually portrays that doctors hold the country's power. Kino's conversation with the young girl as Hermes is being constructed had some interesting dialogue of what separates an adult from a child but the distinction made
through surgery
I found to be laughable. Who would honestly submit to that kind of alteration? Humans are miserable creatures and to relieve that misery we find our vices. Drugs, sex, entertainment, what have you. The idea that a society of what appears to be well educated people, I mean a school of medicine is in power, would willingly sacrifice a part of what makes them human to avoid displeasure is absurd. If this series tackled real problems and vices within society rather than creating poorly constructed what if scenarios I think I would enjoy it more.

cajunator

Banned
Kino's Journey 04

Perhaps I am being overly critical of this series after that awful third episode but there are so many little things I could nitpick from this episode that it feels as if the magic is lost. Again, the narrative structure and the framing was well done but the plot left a sour taste in my mouth.

This episode explores Kino and Herme's past and gives the backstory of what makes each of them tick. I will say that it did work to explain Kino's paranoia, ie why she carries so many weapons on her in episode two. There were some great establishing shots such as the hospital on the hill while Kino walks among trash littered alleyways that visually portrays that doctors hold the country's power. Kino's conversation with the young girl as Hermes is being constructed had some interesting dialogue of what separates an adult from a child but the distinction made
through surgery
I found to be laughable. Who would honestly submit to that kind of alteration? Humans are miserable creatures and to relieve that misery we find our vices. Drugs, sex, entertainment, what have you. The idea that a society of what appears to be well educated people, I mean a school of medicine is in power, would willingly sacrifice a part of what makes them human to avoid displeasure is absurd. If this series tackled real problems and vices within society rather than creating poorly constructed what if scenarios I think I would enjoy it more.

Fair enough that you arent personally enjoying it but it remains one of the best anime out there for many people.
im actually kind of interested reading your impressions because you are the first Ive seen who doesnt like it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The thing is that the whole Class S thing changes the way you are meant to interpret homosocial female school girl relationships. As I mentioned ages ago, how many lesbians are in MariMite? Are Sachiko and Yumi in a yuri relationship? Unless you purposely want to ignore the context that surrounds that text, they're probably not.

Interpretation is a funny thing as we have seen people are going to have multiple interpretations on things and even in the wak of episode 10, the yuri contingant is demoralized by not defeated because we have not reached the definite yet.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Interpretation is a funny thing as we have seen people are going to have multiple interpretations on things and even in the wak of episode 10, the yuri contingant is demoralized by not defeated because we have not reached the definite yet.

So, I can only assume that this yuri/"euriphonium" thing is half in jest, but I just think it's a bit strange to expect it given how we know heterosexual female relationships are depicted in anime, combined with the historical nature of the depiction of lesbian relationships/characters in anime now.

I mean, we have a show that is literally Lesbian Harry Potter. That's what anime is in 2015.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So, I can only assume that this yuri/"euriphonium" thing is half in jest, but I just think it's a bit strange to expect it given how we know heterosexual female relationships are depicted in anime, combined with the historical nature of the depiction of lesbian relationships/characters in anime now.

I mean, we have a show that is literally Lesbian Harry Potter. That's what anime is in 2015.

Less jest and more cynical manipulation on an audience that might increase our retun on investment.

This show is a commentary on humanity and the human condition. The singular quirks of each country serve as an exploration into a particular facet of our humanity and criticize its fallable traits. Its not going to be a series filled with a continuous narrative and if thats what you were expecting then this isnt the series for you. The four countries are loosely intertwined but it is a jab at religion and how countries and people might blindly follow a particular belief or tradition even to destruction of themselves or others. In the context of todays world, this episode cuts very deep.
Kinos Journey is a journey into the depths of what we are as humans.

I know exactly what Kino's Journey is trying to do and I find it poorly constructed. Religion has texts that go back thousands of years and are typically well documented. The fact that the countries in Kino's Journey will go to war over some scribbles someone found 10 years ago is unbelievable. Never mind the fact that the bible is mainly used as a moral compass to guide better judgement. It's not mad ravings looking for the destruction of mankind.

As for the context within today's world I don't find it fits at all. I expressed "technologically advanced" societies because you would think they could be somewhat relatable to modern day society. We live in an information age and we've grown up to question everything we read on the internet developing the critical thinking skills needed to avoid such outcomes. These what-if scenarios ring hollow, especially when these countries are as technologically equipped or moreso than our own. Each country has a different flavour of dictator and its citizens blindly follow them no matter how absurd their ideals might be. A Hilter would never rise to power in our current climate of information and culture.

Fair enough that you arent personally enjoying it but it remains one of the best anime out there for many people.
im actually kind of interested reading your impressions because you are the first Ive seen who doesnt like it.
I don't dislike the series but I am being overly critical of it. Perhaps more so than others but that is what makes for interesting conversation about what the series is trying to provoke with its message.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Less jest and more cynical manipulation on an audience that might increase our retun on investment.
I think I had a better impression of the show when it was just people talking about how they can relate to it because they were in bands. lol

I think I had a better impression of the show when it was just people talking about how they can relate to it because they were in bands. lol

That is still how I view it. The fact that people get so worked up over interpersonal relationships between fictional characters baffles me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Where's my speech and debate anime so I can reminisce about high school too

Also is symphogear good?
The only thing I remember about Symphogear is that the villain is S2 is so evil that it's ridiculous that no one noticed until he actually turned.

MSMrRound

Also is symphogear good?

Personally speaking, while I *kind of* enjoyed the show, having finished both Season 1 and 2, I wouldn't really call it a "good" show.

The show got its fair share of charm, but it was also riddled with ridiculous plot twists and plothax. At some points, the show even reminded me of Samurai Flamenco at times with its absurdness. So for me it's more of "I started watching Symphogear because of my curiosity, and stayed because I wanted to see how much of a trainwreck it will become", much like the reasoning behind why I finished Samurai Flamenco.

Still, with Mizuki Nana belting out in a show that's primarily about songs, and also Aoi Yuuki (Madoka) doing a pretty great job as the protag, I kind of liked the show, and wouldn't really mind watching season 3.

Bonus points for Aoi Yuuki's rendition of Jackie Chan's "Police Story" theme song. That really got a loud chuckle out of me.

Droplet

Euphonium 10

Fuck this popularity contest bullshit, this is why even if I liked playing an instrument I hated the rest of the goddamn band.

I swear if this show ends thinking "yes having high schoolers vote on this shit with their own personal feelings involved" is a good idea, I will scream so loudly.

High schoolers suck and this is the bitterness I carry with me to this day.

I just wanted my peers to acknowledge me too :(

._.

phaze

Just watched the first episode. This show doesn't really prioritize easing the audience in does it? I don't know what the fuck is going on except I'm apparently following the main character who I assume is an investigator of sorts but no idea what said investigator is investigating exactly.

Makes me want to re-watch Psycho-Pass (first season).

user222437_pic71490_1its3u.png
If you thought the first episode was confusing then hmmmm, I will be eagerly awaiting your impressions on post ep 11 half of the show ! Though I think the bolded has been spelled out pretty clearly, she's an investigator working on a case of robots (AutoReivs) going haywire because of some virus.

ibyea

Banned
Euphonium 10

Fuck this popularity contest bullshit, this is why even if I liked playing an instrument I hated the rest of the goddamn band.

I swear if this show ends thinking "yes having high schoolers vote on this shit with their own personal feelings involved" is a good idea, I will scream so loudly.

._.

I made a similarly angry episode impression write up. ^_^ Seriously, what was Taki thinking when he proposed that stupid idea.

Thoraxes

Just watched the first episode. This show doesn't really prioritize easing the audience in does it? I don't know what the fuck is going on except I'm apparently following the main character who I assume is an investigator of sorts but no idea what said investigator is investigating exactly.

Makes me want to re-watch Psycho-Pass (first season).
Ergo Proxy is a slow burn. The beginning seems confusing, but it's more that they give you the big mysteries at the start, and you watch the series to find out what the hell is going on.

I really liked it.
Could just watch Texhnolyze.

YES. THIS.

However, if Ergo Proxy was confusing to them, I think this is going to be even worse because EP is super straight-forward, while Texhnolyze prioritizes its world-building with visuals and silence, especially in the first episode. Not to mention a huge part of it is ridiculously nuanced.

cajunator

Banned
I know exactly what Kino's Journey is trying to do and I find it poorly constructed. Religion has texts that go back thousands of years and are typically well documented. The fact that the countries in Kino's Journey will go to war over some scribbles someone found 10 years ago is unbelievable. Never mind the fact that the bible is mainly used as a moral compass to guide better judgement. It's not mad ravings looking for the destruction of mankind.

As for the context within today's world I don't find it fits at all. I expressed "technologically advanced" societies because you would think they could be somewhat relatable to modern day society. We live in an information age and we've grown up to question everything we read on the internet developing the critical thinking skills needed to avoid such outcomes. These what-if scenarios ring hollow, especially when these countries are as technologically equipped or moreso than our own. Each country has a different flavour of dictator and its citizens blindly follow them no matter how absurd their ideals might be. A Hilter would never rise to power in our current climate of information and culture.

I don't dislike the series but I am being overly critical of it. Perhaps more so than others but that is what makes for interesting conversation about what the series is trying to provoke with its message.

The problem ive got with how you are criticizing it is how you say this or that is unbelievable. But this is fiction. Its also entirely possible for a lot of things to happen the way the world is. You say that x or y cant happen but historically people have been persecuted, torn apart, divided up by forces very similar to whats being explored here, some of which is extremely trivial in nature. I feel as though you are trying to make this show out to be a history lesson when it really is exploring "what if" scenarios.
Its not saying this or that is what happens, but in the context of this fictional world, it is what happens.
i think you are seeing this from an entirely different perspective from most, which is fine, but to say its poorly constructed is absolutely false. It is very well thought out.

I made a similarly angry episode impression write up. ^_^ Seriously, what was Taki thinking when he proposed that stupid idea.

He has to do something to get the band back together no? Seems like his idea is one of the only ways to do that, even if Kousaka gets voted out.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Euphonium 10

._.

Music never lies.
Actually, here's what i hope happen in the next episode
> Reina once again prove that she's better than Kaori
> Kaori admit it
> Kaori groupie vote for Kaori, beating Reina
> Kaori realize that the same people who scream bias is also biased
> She give up her position to Reina voluntarily, while berating her groupie
> Groupie am cry, especially ribbon-chan

THE TEARS WILL BE DELICIOUS! (if that happen)

But then again, there's only 3 episode left, no more time for drama, so chances are,
Reina win the audition, Kaori and her groupie admit she's better than the rest of them and that Taki sensei is not biased at all.

The problem ive got with how you are criticizing it is how you say this or that is unbelievable. But this is fiction.
It's a fiction designed to be contrasted against humanity and the human condition. You've said this yourself. I've stated that I find it hard to believe a country full of people willingly alter their brain by a cryptic medical procedure meant to make them feel only happiness. I don't know why I'm not allowed to say that I find it unbelievable that humans would elect to do this to themselves. Or the fact that people would commit genocide over some scribbles someone traded for a sack of rice.
Its also entirely possible for a lot of things to happen the way the world is. You say that x or y cant happen but historically people have been persecuted, torn apart, divided up by forces very similar to whats being explored here, some of which is extremely trivial in nature.
Historically? Sure. However given the setting where there is a city of robots, talking motorbikes and medical procedures that are more advanced than our own I'm approaching this series as a different take on what would happen within our own society or our future. If the setting was something closer to medieval or even pre-industrial revolution I would be more likely to buy into it.
I feel as though you are trying to make this show out to be a history lesson when it really is exploring "what if" scenarios.
Its not saying this or that is what happens, but in the context of this fictional world, it is what happens.
I honestly don't know where you came to that conclusion when I have already stated I was approaching it as a modern day what-if.
i think you are seeing this from an entirely different perspective from most, which is fine, but to say its poorly constructed is absolutely false. It is very well thought out.
Nations have rich histories, cultures, different languages that set themselves apart. The only thing we get from the countries in Kino's Journey is the current what's happenings. They haven't taken the time to explain why each country has fallen into apocalyptic disarray. Part of the problem is the format. I enjoyed the first episode because it gave that backstory of how things came to be but shoving 4 nations cultural problems into one episode felt rushed and sloppy. The fourth episode was better but it still didn't explain how things came to be that way and we're expected to accept that everyone is a brainwashed fool. To that episode's credit Kino is recounting this from a traumatic childhood memory so I can let the "how did this come to be?" slide.

There has to be some other way because that is definitely a million percent less impartial.

I can't think of anything better. Either Kousaka will win and the band will stop claiming that Taki is biased or Kaori will win which also calms the band down. Asuka also said that Kaori is pretty good at the solo parts so losing Kousaka won't be that big of a deal (right?).

Lili da best!

There are two kind of girls in Danmachi. Girls that are unworthy and girls called Hephaestus.
Maybe Lili too, maybe..

There's impressions that hardly touch the yuri topic, if at all. But those aren't the ones you pay attention to it appears. Now you could claim that this topic is the one dominating the discussing, however you're only adding to that.

Honestly though, at some point you should really just watch the show and form your opinion based on it. Even if you're more interested in other people's reactions you can still juxtapose these with what you're seeing yourself.

Gintama 275
Even if you put a Gorilla in a dress it still is a Gorilla. Also didn't expect them to also gender swap the ending. For those who don't get the title of this episode (really don't get why CR didn't bother trying to explain it on the title screen) 9=Kyuu so + 1 (Her new found dick) = 10 which is Juu so her new name is Jyubei.

sonicmj1

Right, so here is where we run into the problems as what was the intentions with the framing of episode 8 and here is the kicker would we be having this debate if it was Shinchi on that mountain?

Look, I made a whole post about how that climb was framed and what it meant. I tried to support all my claims with textual evidence. I think that there's very little beyond the one shot of Kousaka's finger (at arms length) to support a romantic reading. I think there's a lot that supports that climb being based on their growing intimacy as friends. If you want to disagree with my reading, feel free, but I'd appreciate if you actually challenged it instead of sweeping it aside with words like "clearly".

If Shuichi was on that mountain after specifically asking her out earlier in the episode, that would change the reading. If he was throw together with her by circumstance, however, then you'd have to throw out the "Yuki Onna" metaphor for something else, and everything but the finger touch would be consistent with friendship. The finger touch would certainly imply romance, but only because of the difference in social norms in cross-gender relationships as opposed to same-sex friendships.

Seraph of the End 10

Another episode, another waste of 20 minutes of my time in which little happens, complete with a useless flashback and final reunion used as a closing point. I feel that the direction of this show has gotten worse as it went on, with a lot of wasted time and shoddy fighting sequences. It made me go from being interested in checking the manga to not being sure anymore if I really want to.

The anime adpatation of this arc was kinda weak. You should still give a chance to the manga.

Gintama 275
Even if you put a Gorilla in a dress it still is a Gorilla. Also didn't expect them to also gender swap the ending. For those who don't get the title of this episode (really don't get why CR didn't bother trying to explain it on the title screen) 9=Kyuu so + 1 (Her new found dick) = 10 which is Juu so her new name is Jyubei.

It's also a joke on the historical character she's named after being yagyu jyubei

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom