• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There's impressions that hardly touch the yuri topic, if at all. But those aren't the ones you pay attention to it appears. Now you could claim that this topic is the one dominating the discussing, however you're only adding to that.

Honestly though, at some point you should really just watch the show and form your opinion based on it. Even if you're more interested in other people's reactions you can still juxtapose these with what you're seeing yourself.
I mean, I don't lurk the thread that often anymore, but the initial impressions of this episode were basically short responses about the yuri or lack thereof. I admit that I'm only reading a select sample from the thread, but those are the first posts I see. Add the fact that the whole thread title is a pun on the whole phenomenon and it's hard not to get that impression.

As for watching the show, I've already checked out because of Amagi Park. The studio isn't an immediate draw for me anymore, and I'm at a point where a slice of life show needs to be something extraordinary for me to stick with it because the majority of them end up the same way. Characters learning about themselves through music, art, photography, food, gondolas, baseball, soccer, basketball, swimming, tennis, rakugou, idol competitions, airsoft gun battles, tank battles, boat battles, pantsless air battles... I'm just taking a break from those kinds of shows for a while.

GATE page updated http://gate-anime.com

Key visual
tumblr_npq610Bhl41sqqtwzo1_r1_1280.png

Oh look it's Sinon and Suguha with adult Kirito. We SAO here.

Jokes aside it looks good but I heard people say it is nationalistic a lot. I'll give it a shot since it looks good.

Sinthetic

Ping Pong arrived today, so I decided to take some pictures of my recent acquisitions.

10 cool squid points to anyone who knows them all.

dE4yFDK.jpg

Got all 9 of these, nicest set imaginable.

8Lt9cIe.jpg

2DjZABC.jpg

tftqMoD.jpg

C9ZfsFw.jpg

Bonus series storing BOX too haha.

bgsbMSE.jpg

Off to rewatch the joys of Ping Pong with my Mrs now. ;D

I mean, I don't lurk the thread that often anymore, but the initial impressions of this episode were basically short responses about the yuri or lack thereof. I admit that I'm only reading a select sample from the thread, but those are the first posts I see. Add the fact that the whole thread title is a pun on the whole phenomenon and it's hard not to get that impression.

As for watching the show, I've already checked out because of Amagi Park. The studio isn't an immediate draw for me anymore, and I'm at a point where a slice of life show needs to be something extraordinary for me to stick with it because the majority of them end up the same way. Characters learning about themselves through music, art, photography, food, gondolas, baseball, soccer, basketball, swimming, tennis, rakugou, idol competitions, airsoft gun battles, tank battles, boat battles, pantsless air battles... I'm just taking a break from those kinds of shows for a while.

Which is fair enough, it's just when you participate in the discussion anyways that it can rub someone the wrong way here and there when you're drawing conclusions from impressions only, some which are likely to be hardly reliable.

As for the shows quality, it's no Hyouka but still very good overall and excellent when the top episode directors are at work. The 'yuribaiting' is pretty much the biggest flaw, or rather annoyance for me and in a way that's a good thing as even this issue is far from an actual major problem.

I couldn't stand Amagi Park either but that one was an adaptation from bad material, whereas the Hibike! novels are supposedly really good, which is readily apparent by now considering the quality of writing.

Defuser

Gintama ep 275
Oooh boy!! Gender bender arc here we go!!! Haruka Tomatsu as female Gintoki is an excellent choice.

lol Shinpachi glasses joke never gets old.

This is one hell of an arc.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Which is fair enough, it's just when you participate in the discussion anyways that it can rub someone the wrong way here and there when you're drawing conclusions from impressions only, some which are likely to be hardly reliable.

As for the shows quality, it's no Hyouka but still very good overall and excellent when the top episode directors are at work. The 'yuribaiting' is pretty much the biggest flaw, or rather annoyance for me and in a way that's a good thing as even this issue is far from an actual major problem.

I couldn't stand Amagi Park either but that one was an adaptation from bad material, whereas the Hibike! novels are supposedly really good, which is readily apparent by now considering the quality of writing.
I didn't react to the show, nor did I attempt to give that impression. I just pointed out that it was odd, given everything I know about anime (which isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, but still quite a bit especially since I've watched and read hundreds of yuri anime/manga now), that people expected the whole yuri thing to end up any different when they expressed their disappointment.

If there's some subtext that these posters are missing, then I can't really comment. But for me, it would be like expecting the guy from Nisekoi to pick a girl by the end of this season. Maybe it's possible, but given what I know about harem shows, it's probably not the case.

From KnK to Chuu2 to Amagi, I sort of lost the faith with KyoAni. I'm sure Hibike is great source material, but I just wanted to take a break from both the genre and the studio this season.

I have a legitimate question for those that watch long running anime such as Gintama or Naruto or whatnot. Doesn't it get boring? I find two-cours sometimes to be boring and too long already, but maybe it's just because I have the attention span of a parakeet.

I have a legitimate question for those that watch long running anime such as Gintama or Naruto or whatnot. Doesn't it get boring? I find two-cours sometimes to be boring and too long already, but maybe it's just because I have the attention span of a parakeet.

Naruto yes, Gintama avoids that due to the fact that almost none of the episodes link up with each other. Episodes feel separate rather then one big dragging story line. When Gintama does do an arc they only last 2-6 episodes, then it goes back to single or even half episode stories.

Arcadius

Banned

It most definitely depends on the anime itself and how much you like it. I personally set myself a 52 episode soft limit for shows. If anything is over that, it needs to be deemed incredibly good and something I will for sure watch to even begin (So anything moe/moe-blob with cute girls). Cardcaptor Sakura is one of few shows that goes over that limit, but I know when I watch Cardcaptor Sakura, I will love it, so I don't mind.

Way back when, I used to watch Bleach and FairyTale and another anime, hit passed 100+ episodes for them, but then got really boring; the problem is the overarching story. Filler and side stories just aren't what I want to watch with those big epics.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Even the arcs in Gintama shift between series and comedic, which changes the show enough that it doesn't immediately feel like you are watching the same thing over and over again. And since they keep lampshading the lack of progress, you have to be okay with the fact that Gintama is like Seinfeld inasmuch as nothing ever happens. lol

cajunator

Banned
It's a fiction designed to be contrasted against humanity and the human condition. You've said this yourself. I've stated that I find it hard to believe a country full of people willingly alter their brain by a cryptic medical procedure meant to make them feel only happiness. I don't know why I'm not allowed to say that I find it unbelievable that humans would elect to do this to themselves. Or the fact that people would commit genocide over some scribbles someone traded for a sack of rice.

Historically? Sure. However given the setting where there is a city of robots, talking motorbikes and medical procedures that are more advanced than our own I'm approaching this series as a different take on what would happen within our own society or our future. If the setting was something closer to medieval or even pre-industrial revolution I would be more likely to buy into it.

I honestly don't know where you came to that conclusion when I have already stated I was approaching it as a modern day what-if.

Nations have rich histories, cultures, different languages that set themselves apart. The only thing we get from the countries in Kino's Journey is the current what's happenings. They haven't taken the time to explain why each country has fallen into apocalyptic disarray. Part of the problem is the format. I enjoyed the first episode because it gave that backstory of how things came to be but shoving 4 nations cultural problems into one episode felt rushed and sloppy. The fourth episode was better but it still didn't explain how things came to be that way and we're expected to accept that everyone is a brainwashed fool. To that episode's credit Kino is recounting this from a traumatic childhood memory so I can let the "how did this come to be?" slide.

It doesdnt have to explain how (sometimes it actually does though)
I just dont think this show is for you. Thats fine, but if you cant set aside expectations for it to be super realistic then it wont satisfy you. Best to just stop watching it.

I'm partial to

lir86uW.jpg

myself.

A lot of them are pretty good. the elves and Lili especially. Although I dont enjoy this series as much as others seem to for some reason. I watch it but its not an eager watch like I do with Show By Rock, Soma, Euphonium, or Etotama. Those I cannot wait for the next episode.

I can't think of anything better. Either Kousaka will win and the band will stop claiming that Taki is biased or Kaori will win which also calms the band down. Asuka also said that Kaori is pretty good at the solo parts so losing Kousaka won't be that big of a deal (right?).

There are two kind of girls in Danmachi. Girls that are unworthy and girls called Hephaestus.
Maybe Lili too, maybe..

Hephaestus...now thats an interesting contender...

I see so the stuff that they show is varied and somewhat episodic, makes sense. Well to keep it interesting for that many episodes, that's quite the feat.

Defuser

Gintama isn't like those long trashy shonen shows with shitty filler. Most of the episodes is self contained. There's a reason why people praise Gintama while taking a shit on other shonen shows like Naruto or bleach or One Piece.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I see so the stuff that they show is varied and somewhat episodic, makes sense. Well to keep it interesting for that many episodes, that's quite the feat.
For Gintama specifically, there's still a formula. And over time, you learn to recognize it. But at that point, you're either invested in the formula or you probably dropped the show a long time ago.

What's funny is that they make fun of the formula later on by pointing out how they use the same music tracks over and over again to manipulate the audience into feeling certain emotions. It was subtle self-mocking, but I thought it was amazing.

cajunator

Banned
GATE page updated http://gate-anime.com

Key visual

Elves and short blue haired cuties and a hair ribbon not-catgirl. Ok I like this already.

From the Yamato 2199 picture dramas that surfaced two days ago (movie showed up yesterday)

lol you guys and your Yamato girls.

It most definitely depends on the anime itself and how much you like it. I personally set myself a 52 episode soft limit for shows. If anything is over that, it needs to be deemed incredibly good and something I will for sure watch to even begin (So anything moe/moe-blob with cute girls). Cardcaptor Sakura is one of few shows that goes over that limit, but I know when I watch Cardcaptor Sakura, I will love it, so I don't mind.

Way back when, I used to watch Bleach and FairyTale and another anime, hit passed 100+ episodes for them, but then got really boring; the problem is the overarching story. Filler and side stories just aren't what I want to watch with those big epics.

Hehee thats juuuuuust enough for Full Moon O Sagashite. How coincidental ;)
I agree on CCS. Very rarely I will make an exception for a magical girls show if I particularly enjoy it.

Arcadius

Banned
Hehee thats juuuuuust enough for Full Moon O Sagashite. How coincidental ;)
I agree on CCS. Very rarely I will make an exception for a magical girls show if I particularly enjoy it.

I would have seen Full Moon O Sagashite regardless, you've praised it so much it's essentially a top recommended watch by Cute expert Cajun!

Gintama is a show that literally makes fun of everything including itself. The fact it makes fun of anime Studios and it's sponsors is a reason why it never gets old. Unlike other Shonen it's arcs are told in little amounts of episodes, it doesn't try to drag anything.

Puruzi

Banned

Max is 52 eps? Have you watched Heartcatch Precure? If you haven't, I highly recommend that you do.

cajunator

Banned
I would have seen Full Moon O Sagashite regardless, you've praised it so much it's essentially a top recommended watch by Cute expert Cajun!

It really is an incredible series. Full of all the drama and emotion anyone could ask for. Wouldnt expect it from the outward appearance of the art, although the premise certainly hints at it.

Arcadius

Banned
Max is 52 eps? Have you watched Heartcatch Precure? If you haven't, I highly recommend that you do.

Soft limit, Heartcatch is a magical girl show right? That's an exception, I can always watch those types of anime without a limit =).

It really is an incredible series. Full of all the drama and emotion anyone could ask for. Wouldnt expect it from the outward appearance of the art, although the premise certainly hints at it.

So true, but the synopsis does give you quite the expectation for it.

I wonder just how sad a dire this one is?

Ahaha, it's really really good. I have a review somewhere in the old OT thread. I loved it and the end is probably the best ending ever. One of my all time favorites.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
All this unwarranted Aiz hate.

You guys are the worstia.

Phatmac

HAHAHA OH MAN THIS EPISODE! I won't spoil the look of everyone that changed from a man to a woman and a woman to man but that is the main reason to see this right now. Kagura's reaction was amazing with him ripping his dick off to Gintoki touching his boobs and calling himself vagina as a new name. Poor Shinpachi is still treated as glasses with that only changing instead of being a girl. Otae's reaction to everyone having bigger breaths than her was amazing. Seeing Toshiro and the reason why he's a fat woman makes so much sense oh god. Everything in this episode was amazing and they even changed the End to reflect all the changes. They even got new voice actors for some characters which are doing a great job replacing the old ones. Gintama is so fucking good you guys. Seriously watch it.
gn9eBWg.jpg

Gintama 275

RMozri4.jpg

Such a beauty.

Every Character's Sexuality Change

http://i.imgur.com/WqMrvCk.jpg Ginko

http://i.imgur.com/FQY5VuR.jpg Kagura Dun

http://i.imgur.com/LjdPgCk.jpg Jyubei

http://i.imgur.com/hgLdlMe.jpg Sougo-chan

http://i.imgur.com/9rdegn5.jpg Hijikata

Holy shit was this episode hilarious. I literally spat out my juice when I got to Hijikata's scene.😆 Oh my god my stomach is hurting from laughing too much. I mean Kagura became too manly, Gintoki became a cutie, Kyubei became Bishonen, Sougo became a cutie with a side ponytail, Kondo became a beauty, Shinpachi got a new frame, Sadaharu became a horse, and Hijikata became something too amazing.😂 I seriously can't stop laughing from this episode. I just love the fact they got different Voice Actors for each of the Genderbent characters. This episode was a 10/10 too amazing.

Also I can't wait for Tsukky and Sachan.😏 Also Tsukky is gonna be voiced by Daisuke Ono, this is gonna be real good real good.😎

Cornbread78

Samurai Bride S2 ep. 13-End:
What can I say, this oen was a pretty crazy ride all the way through, It's as over the top as you can expect from this type of anime with the extreme battles, magic and ending. With that being said, it was still very entertaining to watch through the whole thing, even with the big production changes in the second season. Throughout, this was another "non-harem," harem for the MC where this was not focused on the romantic relationships but the bonds between the samurai harem, lol. Oh well, thsi one does nothing great, but it was fun to watch!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
GAF i am disspoint

of course you like the hyperactive loli with giant cans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom