• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

Wish Upon the Pleiades 10

Magical girl fans really oughta watch this one. Since stars have played such a major role in the proceedings, it makes sense that Minato's backstory would play up elements that draw from The Little Prince, though not explicitly.
So the Pleiadean can talk, Nanako just chose to materialize him in the form of the goopy little mascot thing. While Minato wanted a friend.
The music, the visuals, everything about this series has been so charming.

And I want to mention that I simply love the main cast's cover of the OP. It's somewhat slower in tempo, but it's really beautiful.

Fans can't get some sort of "suffering" enjoyment out of this show, but it doesn't mean that the main cast hasn't overcome some hardships. There's not really any battles, but that doesn't mean the action can't be mesmerizing to watch. There's romance, but it's closer to something you'd find in Sailor Moon without changing its demographic. It's just a really good show all around.

phaze

Spoilers and all that

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 26 +28 END
004599i3b5q.png
Early on I wrote that Kyon is about the only entertaining character and now, ~26 episodes later, I can only parrot this statement, with the addition that he is unfortunately not strong enough to be able to carry this show on his lonesome. I must say, I'm surprised at just how little all the stuff after episode 6 amounted to. Knowing the series is an uncomplete adaptation of Light Novels, I wasn't exactly expecting a definitive ending but I was expecting some progress of the main storyline. Which regressed into combination of pointless episodic material and of arcs that concentrated on Haruhi's repetitive, supernatural and completely absurd fits.

The broadcast order of the first season now seems to me like an desperate attempt to give that season something resembling an ending and to pack all that fluff into the series before the main event of the first cour takes place. In the second season, there is a bit more of character development for Haruhi&Kyon and their relationship and even Nagato (Though they do absolutely nothing with it. From what I spoiled myself on, this is something the movie apparently delves into ?) but none of it goes very far and it literally drowns in the deluge of extraneous and inconsequential fluff. Any focus on understanding and dealing with Haruhi's subconscious* is put away and she (okay her subconscious) is still a massive drama queen. While Haruhi herself seems to have moved away from chasing aliens and other weirdos, the only other lesson she seems to have learned was getting more stealthy about her bullying habits. After almost getting her shit slapped for that. (goddamit Koizumi.)

*Not that this plot was particularly exciting but it was still better than what I got.

Maybe not a terrible show but the very definition of meh for me. It reinforces my ingrained modus operandi of staying away from KyoAni shows.

e_i

Wish Upon the Pleiades 10

Well, damn. That was great. Little Minato looked way to girlish
and those shoes.
In the original OVA, Minato
is shown wearing a dress.
so is Minato
transgendered?

Ore Monogatari 10

I actually think this show is at its best when its ridiculous like Takeo surviving a fall off a mountain or defeating a rampaging boar by hurling him a mile.

I love how Takeo's dad looks. I need gifs of that last emoticon scene. Direction in this show is good, captures a lot of the charm of the manga.

IIRC it's airing on ATX, so the censoring actually won't be too severe.
I'm assuming this is an adult channel or something? If that's so then you may be right. My point still stands, that the manga has so many chapters and the story is so developed already that I don't really want to see it all from the start again. Maybe I'll watch a few episodes for shits and giggles, and the best scenes from the earlier stages, but I won't be following it weekly.

For those who haven't been keeping up with the latest Fire Emblem if news.

Meet one of the newest characters: Zero

DXR5UTD.jpg

He is a thief who works for Leon, one of the Nohr siblings.

He's also an extreme sadist.

Whose special skill is to capture generic enemy units and send them to your personal rape dungeon prison.

And who will be sharing the same VA as someone JoJo fans should be very familiar with.

Spoilers and all that

Early on I wrote that Kyon is about the only entertaining character and now, ~26 episodes later, I can only parrot this statement, with the addition that he is unfortunately not strong enough to be able to carry this show on his lonesome. I must say, I'm surprised at just how little all the stuff after episode 6 amounted to. Knowing the series is an uncomplete adaptation of Light Novels, I wasn't exactly expecting a definitive ending but I was expecting some progress of the main storyline. Which regressed into combination of pointless episodic material and of arcs that concentrated on Haruhi's repetitive, supernatural and completely absurd fits.

The broadcast order of the first season now seems to me like an desperate attempt to give that season something resembling an ending and to pack all that fluff into the series before the main event of the first cour takes place. In the second season, there is a bit more of character development for Haruhi&Kyon and their relationship and even Nagato (Though they do absolutely nothing with it. From what I spoiled myself on, this is something the movie apparently delves into ?) but none of it goes very far and it literally drowns in the deluge of extraneous and inconsequential fluff. Any focus on understanding and dealing with Haruhi's subconscious* is put away and she (okay her subconscious) is still a massive drama queen. While Haruhi herself seems to have moved away from chasing aliens and other weirdos, the only other lesson she seems to have learned was getting more stealthy about her bullying habits. After almost getting her shit slapped for that. (goddamit Koizumi.)

*Not that this plot was particularly exciting but it was still better than what I got.

Maybe not a terrible show but the very definition of meh for me. It reinforces my ingrained modus operandi of staying away from KyoAni shows.

While Tanigawa was writing Sigh and Disappearance (2 full novel-length stories), he was also writing short stories that were published in "The Sneaker" literary magazine. These were compiled into 3 novels of shorts (with a short newly written for each novel). If the series was adapted in full chronological order with 14 episodes of material, it would've ended mid-way through Sigh. Tanigawa himself came up with the idea to show the story in achronological order, putting the shorts from later in-between other episodes. Yamamoto decided both to start with Episode 00 and to finish the series with Melancholy's ending. This was its own work; no sequel was in mind when constructing it.

Of course, it became a huge hit, so all involved wanted to make more, especially since that would adapt the most popular of the novels, Disappearance. Mid-way through 2007, the idea came to make Disappearance into a movie. This scrapped the work made on a second season focused around it (7 episodes were devoted to it), and so the series was put into full chronological order, adding 14 more episodes to finish the story before Disappearance to lead up to it being the movie (it ran in theatres 6 months later).

Watching it by "season" is completely idiotic now unless you want to watch 14 episodes and then 28 episodes. By taking the newer 14 episodes out of context (seeing how Haruhi changed due to Sigh and started to help people in Live a Live), you've ignore growth of characters and the story as a whole. You complained about "Any focus on understanding and dealing with Haruhi's subconscious* is put away... While Haruhi herself seems to have moved away from chasing aliens and other weirdos, the only other lesson she seems to have learned was getting more stealthy about her bullying habits," but yet you chose to separate the bad part from her growth. Instead of complaining about some fictional change, put it in perspective from when the story took place (or watch it in chronological order like I've said multiple times).

Samurai Flamenco 12

So Power Rangers aka Flamenger adventures are beginning. Still I'm really enjoying how over the top the show is, it's not slowing down that's for sure. Though I wonder if Hazama will eventually go back to his old group.

Okay that little attachment to their robot transformation was hilarious.

Cornbread78

Kanokon ep. 1-6

This is really, really lewd, but super funny at the same time. It's a little mix of B Gata from the female leads, but with your normal lame MC that is too embarassed to have his way with a woman. Why in the entire anime world is Makoto the only MC with enough balls to take a woman as she wishes? Damn losers.. I can;t really post many pics, but so far, this is jsut about two animal dieties that are trying to get it on with teh male lead MC. They are pretty cute, but there are no real "safe" pictures I could find for them however, they are defiantely Cajun approved when they are clothed... Thsi one is random and pretty fun.

Found a clean pic
lonley_chizuru_by_okami_rao_fox-d3aanrp.jpg

Puruzi

Banned
Kanokon ep. 1-6

This is really, really lewd, but super funny at the same time. It's a little mix of B Gata from the female leads, but with your normal lame MC that is too embarassed to have his way with a woman. Why in the entire anime world is Makoto the only MC with enough balls to take a woman as she wishes? Damn losers.. I can;t really post many pics, but so far, this is jsut about two animal dieties that are trying to get it on with teh male lead MC. They are pretty cute, but there are no real "safe" pictures I could find for them however, they are defiantely Cajun approved when they are clothed... Thsi one is random and pretty fun.

I loved Kanokon
make sure you watch the specials

Spoilers and all that

Maybe not a terrible show but the very definition of meh for me.

Pretty much. I also cannot say that the movie really manages to overcome that for me. It's a very well directed movie but still about characters I hardly care for (mostly just Kyon, even in the movie) and rather weak word building.

Arcadius

Banned
Kanokon ep. 1-6

Yaaay, thanks for this, always looking for "really, really lewd" and ecchi shows, will watch!

Phatmac

For those who haven't been keeping up with the latest Fire Emblem if news.

Meet one of the newest characters: Zero

DXR5UTD.jpg

He is a thief who works for Leon, one of the Nohr siblings.

He's also an extreme sadist.

Whose special skill is to capture generic enemy units and send them to your personal rape dungeon prison.

And who will be sharing the same VA as someone JoJo fans should be very familiar with.
I love the art style of Fire Emblem. It'd make for a good anime. Sorry Nohr but I'm #TeamHoshido

Cornbread78

Yaaay, thanks for this, always looking for "really, really lewd" and ecchi shows, will watch!

I'll fund them, they are not on Crunchyroll, lol.

I loved Kanokon
make sure you watch the specials

It's actually pretty damn funny, so it balances out.

Kanokon is lewd as fuck

That "cake" scene.

I wasn't ready.

I haven't gotten there yet, but the spanking scene was hilarious.

Squishy3

I love the art style of Fire Emblem. It'd make for a good anime. really well in an anime. #TeamHoshido
Well... it did happen.

slide-fireemblem.jpg

I watched it and I don't remember anything about it at all, though. I think a castle was on fire at some point? Yeah, I got nothing.

Puruzi

Banned
Nohr has adoptive purple sister. Nohr wins.
Is the brown chick with the abs in Nohr? Because if so Nohr wins by a landslide.

Well... it did happen.

slide-fireemblem.jpg

I watched it and I don't remember anything about it at all, though. I think a castle was on fire at some point? Yeah, I got nothing.

I remember some fight between Ogma and Navarre, It's all a blur for me. It was only two episodes or something right?

Pooya

not exactly Fire Emblem but we're getting an anime with Kozaki designs still, right? whatever happened to that kickstarter? #dontletanimedie

I watched that sunrise samurai anime too and it was ok, the ending stuff was pretty bad and show looked kind of rough most of the time later so that it didn't really look like Kozaki designs...

edit: that webm, Fire Emblem's strategy sure has evolved...

phaze

While Tanigawa was writing Sigh and Disappearance (2 full novel-length stories), he was also writing short stories that were published in "The Sneaker" literary magazine. These were compiled into 3 novels of shorts (with a short newly written for each novel). If the series was adapted in full chronological order with 14 episodes of material, it would've ended mid-way through Sigh. Tanigawa himself came up with the idea to show the story in achronological order, putting the shorts from later in-between other episodes. Yamamoto decided both to start with Episode 00 and to finish the series with Melancholy's ending. This was its own work; no sequel was in mind when constructing it.

Of course, it became a huge hit, so all involved wanted to make more, especially since that would adapt the most popular of the novels, Disappearance. Mid-way through 2007, the idea came to make Disappearance into a movie. This scrapped the work made on a second season focused around it (7 episodes were devoted to it), and so the series was put into full chronological order, adding 14 more episodes to finish the story before Disappearance to lead up to it being the movie (it ran in theatres 6 months later).

Watching it by "season" is completely idiotic now unless you want to watch 14 episodes and then 28 episodes. By taking the newer 14 episodes out of context (seeing how Haruhi changed due to Sigh and started to help people in Live a Live), you've ignore growth of characters and the story as a whole. You complained about "Any focus on understanding and dealing with Haruhi's subconscious* is put away... While Haruhi herself seems to have moved away from chasing aliens and other weirdos, the only other lesson she seems to have learned was getting more stealthy about her bullying habits," but yet you chose to separate the bad part from her growth. Instead of complaining about some fictional change, put it in perspective from when the story took place (or watch it in chronological order like I've said multiple times).

Me going with the broadcast order was the the unfortunate result of my barebones research and faulty assumptions, had I known from the beginning that it in 90% consists of stuff from the chronological first half I wouldn't have bothered. Still I don't think it particularly hinders my understanding of Haruhi's arc. The singular Live a Live is followed on by The Day of Saggitarius and Someday in the Rain which show Haruhi hasn't changed all that much and still: bullies Asahina every chance she gets, remains a pain in the ass for the computer club. (and generally for society at large.)

Sterok

Pleiades 10

Minato is the bad guy. Shock of all shocks. I guess they do have some sort of magic veil. These alternate timelines/pasts is getting confusing to me, especially since some of it has to have intersected for Nanako to have found the President in that state. Also, Minato was proto-Nanako with the President. Subaru isn't good at self-preservation. No idea where it'll go from here.

I'll wait and see, I like to make these choices organically as events unfold. I'm leaning towards Nohr since destroying an empire from the inside sounds dope as hell. But then Hoshido has the easier gameplay so I guess going from harder to easier would be strange.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Got a movie today:
That 3d movie!

HAHAHA OH MAN THIS EPISODE! I won't spoil the look of everyone that changed from a man to a woman and a woman to man but that is the main reason to see this right now. Kagura's reaction was amazing with him ripping his dick off to Gintoki touching his boobs and calling himself vagina as a new name. Poor Shinpachi is still treated as glasses with that only changing instead of being a girl. Otae's reaction to everyone having bigger breaths than her was amazing. Seeing Toshiro and the reason why he's a fat woman makes so much sense oh god. Everything in this episode was amazing and they even changed the End to reflect all the changes. They even got new voice actors for some characters which are doing a great job replacing the old ones. Gintama is so fucking good you guys. Seriously watch it.
gn9eBWg.jpg

Gintama 275

Every Character's Sexuality Change

http://i.imgur.com/WqMrvCk.jpg Ginko

http://i.imgur.com/FQY5VuR.jpg Kagura Dun

http://i.imgur.com/LjdPgCk.jpg Jyubei

http://i.imgur.com/hgLdlMe.jpg Sougo-chan

http://i.imgur.com/9rdegn5.jpg Hijikata

Holy shit was this episode hilarious. I literally spat out my juice when I got to Hijikata's scene.😆 Oh my god my stomach is hurting from laughing too much. I mean Kagura became too manly, Gintoki became a cutie, Kyubei became Bishonen, Sougo became a cutie with a side ponytail, Kondo became a beauty, Shinpachi got a new frame, Sadaharu became a horse, and Hijikata became something too amazing.😂 I seriously can't stop laughing from this episode. I just love the fact they got different Voice Actors for each of the Genderbent characters. This episode was a 10/10 too amazing.

Also I can't wait for Tsukky and Sachan.😏 Also Tsukky is gonna be voiced by Daisuke Ono, this is gonna be real good real good.😎

Gintama - 275

Haven't laughed THIS HARD in a while..

Gintama is the king of shonen comedy

I will say, Gintama's handling of these gender issues through Kyubei and to a lesser extent Saigou is great because it never feels too preachy since it is always couched in some comedic moment. I always find Kyubei's arcs interesting because of how her backstory is handled.

Vito

Banned
Newtype rankings

Newtype rankings. Shows are:

1. Fate/stay night UBW
  2. Imas Cinderella Girls
  3. Oregairu
  4. Blood Blockade Battlefront
  5. Hibike! Euphonium
  6. Code Geass Akito
  7. Seraph of the End
  8. Danmachi
  9. Show by Rock
  10. Arslen Senki

Male characters from 5 downards: Gilgamesh, Hachiman, Lelouch, Kirei Kotomine, Tatsuya (Mahouka)

Female characters from 5 down: Amami Haruka, Shiburin, Hestia, Chain Sumeragi, Anzu Futaba.

Tried to fill in the gaps, can't vouch for 100% accuracy though it probably is.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
He looks like a 40 yo creeper.

Probably is.

Newtype rankings

Newtype rankings. Shows are:

1. Fate/stay night UBW
  2. Imas Cinderella Girls
  3. Oregairu
  4. Blood Blockade Battlefront
  5. Hibike! Euphonium
  6. Code Geass Akito
  7. Seraph of the End
  8. Danmachi
  9. Show by Rock
  10. Arslen Senki

Male characters from 5 downards: Gilgamesh, Hachiman, Lelouch, Kirei Kotomine, Tatsuya (Mahouka)

Female characters from 5 down: Amami Haruka, Shiburin, Hestia, Chain Sumeragi, Anzu Futaba.

Tried to fill in the gaps, can't vouch for 100% accuracy though it probably is.

Qdng7Zq.jpg

About time she got some recognition.

I have to say that's an amazing feat for Chain (Kekkai Sensen) to rank at 9th place even though she doesn't get a lot of screentime. Hopefully season 2 happens so we can get some dedicated episodes of Chain.

Also good for Kekkai Sensen since it originally ranked at 10th place, now it's ranked at 4th place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom