• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a list of the "new" cast for the gender-swapped Gintama?

I also find it funny that the person subbing Gintama for CR came awfully close to using "cunt" in the subs. :p

Yeah there's a new cast for the gender swapped characters in Gintama.

Haruka Tomatsu as Sakata Gintoki (F)
Chiaki Takahashi as Kondo Isao (F)
Shizuka Itou as Okita Sougo (F)
Kōji Ishii as Kagura (M)
Nakai Kazuya as Hijikata Toushiro (F) - Unchanged

Also it seems Tsukky is gonna be voiced by Daisuke Ono, which is gonna be amazing.😏

As somebody who has read Gangsta it isn't THAT good. I came in hoping it was yakuza manga and instead I got another shonen-like action manga with tropes galore.

They even that shot where the new enemies are introduced and they're looking down on the city from the top of a building while all of them trying to look as hardcore as possible.

But to remind you it isn't shonen it has like prostitutes and sex. AW YEAH.

Shonen is not a genre it's a demographic. Also the series is good entertaining fun that isn't trying to be deep or innovative. It has a cast of likeable characters that deal with troubling issues within the setting they are in. I mean if your looking for something new or deep, well you'll probably be disappointed. It's good for what it seeks to accomplish and that's why I enjoy Gangsta from what I've read so far. Plus I love how the author integrated sign language into the series, but it's all up to personal taste I guess.

John Blade

Just finish watching I''s the 2nd OVA show. Going to post my impression soon after I let some of my emotion out of me a bit here.

You're welcome to like it Aqua, but every argument you made is highly subjective. Regardless the last action anime/manga I enjoyed was Hunter x Hunter and even that one shat the bed at one point.

I've just grown cynical.

In context he obviously meant "battle shounen", which is a highly distinct genre.

And yeah it was what I meant. Shonen JUMP battle manga tropes of super natural people who you think are the special, then more of the special appear. But it's probably simpler to just disregard everything and focus on wording I guess.

edit: regardless most of my negative feelings towards Gangsta stem from wanting a Yakuza story in manga/anime that didn't rely in some silly trope but focused more on a romanticized ugly tale ala Sopranos. What I got instead was a fairly generic battle manga which honestly should be fine for most.

You're welcome to like it Aqua, but every argument you made is highly subjective. Regardless the last action anime/manga I enjoyed was Hunter x Hunter and even that one shat the bed at one point.

I've just grown cynical.

And yeah it was what I meant. Shonen JUMP tropes of super natural people who you think are the special, then more of the special appear.

Well I can understand where your coming from as well. Plus these I haven't been able to consume a lot of anime like I use to because I've somehow got a bit burnt out.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I just saw Pupa... WTF was that?

No, I'm not scandalized by the acts, but story itself made non sense and never went anywhere. Nothing got resolved. Actually, did this series had any structured act at all?

Sterok

Ika Musume 10

How anyone sits through portraits I have no idea. Those tentacles really can do anything. The drawing of Chizuru seems accurate, though I still don't get where robo-Eiko came from. Sanae needs to see a therapist. Baseball is always fun. I think Ika was cheating using her tentacles though. At least she did good by her friend. And gained even more friends.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah there's a new cast for the gender swapped characters in Gintama.

Haruka Tomatsu as Sakata Gintoki (F)
Chiaki Takahashi as Kondo Isao (F)
Shizuka Itou as Okita Sougo (F)
Kōji Ishii as Kagura (M)
Nakai Kazuya as Hijikata Toushiro (F) - Unchanged

Also it seems Tsukky is gonna be voiced by Daisuke Ono, which is gonna be amazing.😏
Bad ass Tsuuuukkyyyyy~~~

Thanks!

I find it kind of amusing that the woman doing deep voice thing sounds similar regardless of who does it though. lol

sonicmj1

I just saw Pupa... WTF was that?

No, I'm not scandalized by the acts, but story itself made non sense and never went anywhere. Nothing got resolved. Actually, did this series had any structured act at all?

You were supposed to watch Pupipo, not Pupa.

Jojo's Bizzare Adventure (2012) - 18-26

Yeah, so I finally got around to finishing this after holding off on it for like, a year.

I really wish I didn't do that.

Now the question is can I catch up with Stardust Crusaders before it finishes next week?

Cornbread78

So, can I just mention that I hate Hulu's episode layout and icons. They literally spoiled the rest of Shuffle! because they list them from episode 25-1, rather than 1-25, so when you scroll for an episode you see everything happening in the future first with a matching screen shot image. Looks like it's
Asa Asa Asa
most of the way from here on out, I guess we know who he settles on. Damn this series is disappointing so far..

Yeah, so I finally got around to finishing this after holding off on it for like, a year.

Now the question is can I catch up with Stardust Crusaders before it finishes next week?

Man I really need to catch up on this series because for some reason I suddenly stopped. I guess I have to put Samurai Flamenco on hold to catch up on Jojo.

NeonZ

Lupin (Red Jacket) - episode 79

Lupin_s02_ep079_01_zpsdjtbr5qv.jpg

That's probably the first character in the entire 2nd series so far that Lupin killed just by shooting him with his gun with standard bullets, rather than elaborate traps, explosives (or explosive bullets), or, oddly, a machinegun (but the last one was only used against nazi soldiers and treacherous cops, not named characters). Although I wonder if there'll still be episodes where Zenigata claims that Lupin never kills...
Not only Lupin killed that guy, although it's only a flashback, the episode ends with Lupin using a hypnotized Zenigata to kill his son too (who had attempted to kill Lupin in revenge for his father). Of course, Zenigata was hypnotized by him to kill Lupin in the first place, so Lupin was just using his own weapon against him.

I guess you can, watching about 6 episodes a day (about 2 and a half hours a day) you'll be just fine. It might seem a lot, but time flies when you watch JoJo.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I've yet to see a side tail in real life I think I'm missing out on a critical experience.

Kunagisa

Neo Member
People pretending to like Hestia's a terrible meme.
No really, her character's non-existent in the novel and even worse in the anime.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
sick.gif

Pretty awful.

Oh right, so, Interstellar is the best film adaptation of a JRPG story I've ever seen. It has all the mainstays like pretty protagonists (Matt <3), campy dialogue, deux ex machina, quest to save the world, plot tweests, power of love, and the inevitable sequel bait/"the adventure continues".

7/10.

PK Gaming

AnimeGAF 163-173

Wow that arc was pretty spectacular, like damn. You'd think the 2012 "..." gag would get old, but it doesn't. It never gets old. It's a joke that keeps on giving and giving and giving. The thing I liked the most about this arc was that every character was in on it. I seriously didn't expect Joe Serious and Suzy Business to join in on the insanity, but they did. Hell, even the mediators were in, which made it all the more impressive.

I definitely underestimated how good the old episodes were. That isn't to say that current AnimeGAF episodes are bad by any means, because they aren't (though I feel that the euriphonium arc dragged on for a bit too long).

Midonin

There appears to be only one school battle light novel getting adapted next season - and it wasn't even going to air next season. It was scheduled for this one, but delayed for some reason. Instructor of the Aerial Combat Mage Cadets. There's been a lot of visual novels and a lot of light novels like this one, but maybe it'll be interesting.

Jarmel

Banned
Kill La Kill Documentary-500 Days of Hell
So I've been meaning to watch this. Why? Good question considering I didn't like the show. It covers roughly 500 days from pre-production to a little past the initial airdate of the show. It's similar in nature to the Little Witch Academia documentary but has more interviews and breaks down the production process a bit more, rather than focusing on the individual animators. It's also twice as long and is broken up into two hour long segment. The work is a bit ostentatious not only in the visual presentation but some of the verbal handjobs given out.
du9UCSA.png

I'm looking forward to his masterpiece in Xenoblade X.
I can't exactly blame them as the purpose of this documentary is more for marketing purposes rather than being an actual nitty gritty documentary. That's not to say that it shies away from difficulties in the production but it's not particularly introspective either. It starts off with Sushio showing off different designs for Sanageyama aka Monkey. Some of his earlier designs resembled Shinji out of Fate/Stay Night.
I remember reading this interview where he had a lot of trouble coming up with Ryouko and Satsuki's designs. Sushio looks completely fried in the recorded design meeting. He claims that he draws better when he's tired so going by his appearance there, he must have been putting out his best work. Anyway something that got across in this documentary is how damn long some of these meetings end up being. You would think they would go for a couple of hours, not eight!
I'm not familiar enough with other anime directors to say whether Imaishi's directorial style is unique, in that he wants it to be a collaborative effort. For him it's about maximizing the potential of the people around him. The documentary put a lot of effort into stating how for 'Team Imaishi' that it's all one big team push. That's kind of interesting in that for a few things he's apparently hands-off like the OP but he's also there for all the episode recordings and revisions. For example, him and Nakashima are the ones doing the corrections to stuff like the dialogue in episode 7, Mako's fight club episode. I don't know how typical some of this stuff is, so I can't say for certain whether he takes a team based approach.
A wild Nakashima appears and the documentary jumps back to some early scenario meetings. One thing they focused on was how Ryuuko kept losing initially and how Imaishi liked that. He felt that the audience could more easily connect with Ryuuko and see her progression as a character compared to her being super-capable from the get-go. That's something I did like about the earlier episodes but I felt that they dragged that aspect of her character out too long in the show. The changes in narrative direction have long been known in that the earlier drafts of the show were more episodic and battle royale focused compared to the one we got.
Mako's Hallelujah scenes had more animation to them initially but Imaishi thought that hurt the point of it being gag. Hence my initial images in this post with Imaishi returning them saying "Sorry". He felt that if her stuff was well animated then it would lose the impact of being a joke and be lost in the shuffle. It's an element that the show uses to death, with not only Mako but later Nui. I guess it kinda reminds me of complaints levied at the Simpsons, in how the directors wanted bad animation. Maybe if the rest of the show had super high production values, Mako's 'limited animation' would have come off better rather than it appearing to be a budget/time saving maneuver.

Afterwards there's some shit with Sawano and they're doing some changes to Satsuki's theme. While watching/listening to the performance, I was actually wondering if her theme was as bad as it's presented in the documentary in how boring it is. I ended up going to the OST and re-listening to her theme to make sure it wasn't as awful as it's presented here. That's probably due to the audience only seeing one section of the song rather than how the full thing comes together, although they do listen in to a recording of the final version. Sawano's right hand man was doing some modification to the violin team playing double notes but I can't for the life of me tell a difference. That's something I like about the documentary in that they usually provide 'before' and 'after' comparisons so that the audience can judge for themselves.
I really enjoyed Kaneko's section of the documentary as I thought he did an outstanding job as art director. That's one of the few areas where I feel Kill La Kill really hit a homerun. They discuss something called Kill La Kill Harmony but that feels like it's an extension of Dezaki postcards (something the documentary brings up in the 2nd part). It's interesting to note that Kaneko states that stuff like the previously mentioned was a coping mechanism for production issues but instead they're taking advantage of it. That was a complaint I had when watching the show in that I felt they abused the postcard moments instead of using them just for the really special moments.
u8wi4eU.png
zXNMcFq.png
4e6Cs8P.png

dat Trigger production schedule
It's already well known that Yoshinari did the storyboards for the first OP but it's kinda interesting how it was handed off to him. Apparently Imaishi sort of dumped it on him and Yoshinari had a month to do the storyboards and key animations for the OP.
Unsurprisingly, Yoshinari's storyboards were fairly complex, almost too much so. Otsuka was like if another animator had handed him the storyboards he would have asked, "And who's going to animate this? You?" but it seems like it was already known that Yoshinari was going to do the key animation for the insane 20 second cut. This ended up causing problems down the road as he actually couldn't finish on time. He had to do over 120+ drawings in a week to finish it.
http://webm.host/d4750/vid.webm
You know he's thinking, "Bitch get off my back".
Dude looked broken when he handed the rest of it in. Just dragging his feet, like he was sleepwalking. Honestly I don't know how someone is expected to have a personal life in this industry when you might not go home for days on end and accidentally pull all nighters for things such as corrections. Shirobako touched on this but it's kinda depressing when you see the effects on actual people. I mean look at this:
9PxCdLw.jpg
yueMzQ2.jpg

Oh and there was no AC in the building past midnight hence the popsicles.
They ended up staying 10 hours to the point that the sun was shining when they left the studio. I don't even want to know who went straight back to the office to continue drawing. That's how people drop dead.
1aji7Ll.jpg

I can't begin to imagine how those offices smell.
Now I understand part of this was due to poor production planning on the part of Trigger, but it seems this is closer to the norm than otherwise. It's got to be heartbreaking to work non-stop for a week to get one of these projects done, only for the public to shit on it or for it to bomb financially. I understand that's the risk for any and all creative endeavors but seeing these people suffer, for a show that I don't even consider good, is kind of sad. You're sacrificing your social life for a job that barely pays. Anyway rant aside, the 2nd part covered things like the recording for episode 7.
MJWImjb.jpg
tORBKvx.jpg

No shit. What the hell are you talking about?
Seems like they had problem with Aya Suzaki, Mako's VA. She's a relatively new VA and wasn't delivering the scene how the director and Nakashima wanted it and they had to do a number of takes. Going by the 'before' and 'after' version, her earlier performances didn't have the seriousness the scene required. She was a bit too peppy I guess, and her final version is more sombre. There's also an interview with Yoshikazu Iwanami, the guy currently fucking up with Fate/Stay Night UBW. He doesn't say anything novel other than that he wanted to bring an energy to the show and that he wanted to use as little takes as possible.
Ng6Wwbf.jpg

Shouldn't that have been the case long before the broadcast date?
The 2nd part delves into how production gets accelerated the closer they get to airing. I guess Matsumoto fills in for Masao Maruyama, in that he orders food for the team. It also talks about how Imaishi uses CGI for stuff that would be a pain in the ass to do manually nowadays, like motion on a flight of stairs. With the way he views CGI animators as being just like a normal animator, I don't think he would go back to a work that didn't use 3DCGI at all. It's sort of disappointing but the entire industry is headed down that path.
What I got from this was, I have no fucking clue why anyone would go into this industry. The stress level has to be through the roof. It's one thing seeing newbie animators struggling but it's another to see newbies and veterans alike almost ripping their hair out. It's like playing life on 'Extremely Hard Mode'. I wish the documentary went all through the way through the entire process as I want to see what production was like on the last four episodes. The last four in which Wakabayashi was describing as "hellish". Well that LWA2 documentary should be coming out in a couple of months, the part depicting this month (June) leading up to the premiere should be truly entertaining. There isn't any magic to this other than sleep deprivation, sweat, and body odor. The documentary was also somewhat informative as I had never heard of these two terms before:
I mean I had seen these stylistic flairs before and they're distinctive but I didn't know it had a proper industry term attached.

Cornbread78

To-LOVE-Ru ep. 1-2
Ok, had to take a break from Shuffle! and this one was next on Hulu, so I gave it a shit and it's actually pretty damn funny so far. The MC is another wuss bag, but Lala is funny and lil' sis is great. I'll take my rtime watching this one to enjoy it!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kill La Kill Documentary-500 Days of Hell

So I've been meaning to watch this. Why?

I mean I had seen these stylistic flairs before and they're distinctive but I didn't know it had a proper industry term attached.

Shirobako was no joke was it.

ibyea

Banned
sick.gif

Pretty awful.

Oh right, so, Interstellar is the best film adaptation of a JRPG story I've ever seen. It has all the mainstays like pretty protagonists (Matt <3), campy dialogue, deux ex machina, quest to save the world, plot tweests, power of love, and the inevitable sequel bait/"the adventure continues".

7/10.

Lol, it is kind of like a JRPG story. ^_^ I liked the movie though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom