• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vito

Banned
Now that there are several more economical ways to watch the new Yamato 2199 movie, AnimeGAF has no more excuses. If you haven't watched the series, I think you can still enjoy the movie, while the main cast remains, most of the key roles are taken by new characters. A good chunk of the movie has the setting of an away mission, framed by awesome space battles. It's not groundbreaking, but it's damn fun scifi.

Sexy alien ladies await!

cajunator

Banned
Its the reality Cajun must face. However, we must allow him to revel in his fetishes teehehehe.

meh. I rarely like the most popular ones.

Houkago no Pleiades 10

It's hard to believe Gainax can still make a show makes me feel it's likely become my personal AOTS.

gainax still has talent. Its diluted but its still there.

Kanokon ep. 1-6

This is really, really lewd, but super funny at the same time. It's a little mix of B Gata from the female leads, but with your normal lame MC that is too embarassed to have his way with a woman. Why in the entire anime world is Makoto the only MC with enough balls to take a woman as she wishes? Damn losers.. I can;t really post many pics, but so far, this is jsut about two animal dieties that are trying to get it on with teh male lead MC. They are pretty cute, but there are no real "safe" pictures I could find for them however, they are defiantely Cajun approved when they are clothed... Thsi one is random and pretty fun.

Found a clean pic
lonley_chizuru_by_okami_rao_fox-d3aanrp.jpg

lol this show. I like it. Congrats finding the one work safe picture.

Still prefer this family or whatever. Better designs.

cajunator

Banned
Newtype rankings

Newtype rankings. Shows are:

1. Fate/stay night UBW
  2. Imas Cinderella Girls
  3. Oregairu
  4. Blood Blockade Battlefront
  5. Hibike! Euphonium
  6. Code Geass Akito
  7. Seraph of the End
  8. Danmachi
  9. Show by Rock
  10. Arslen Senki

Male characters from 5 downards: Gilgamesh, Hachiman, Lelouch, Kirei Kotomine, Tatsuya (Mahouka)

Female characters from 5 down: Amami Haruka, Shiburin, Hestia, Chain Sumeragi, Anzu Futaba.

Tried to fill in the gaps, can't vouch for 100% accuracy though it probably is.

Lots of UBW. Im ok with this.

Hestia ranked and the other DanMachi girls didn't.
HELL YES

of course not. Hestia is a major character.

I'm ready for this season to be over so everyone will forget Danmachi and then latch onto something worse

Danmachi is pretty forgettable. No one will talk about it next year.

Castle Town Dandelion promo

This is the closest thing I've found to Kyouran Kazoku Nikki since it left the air. And it comes from Kirara. This bodes well.
Thems big words considering I've yet to find a comedy anime that reaches the level of funny and just entertaining that Kyouran Kazoku Nikki was. Hell that show is probably my second favorite anime after ef tale of melodies.

I should re-watch it actually.

Midonin

Aikatsu! Akari Generation 137

So, how long before those "Unit Donuts" are sold in stores, or at least via Bandai's baked goods department? Because it's a nice way to celebrate the main characters. While Awafuwa Nadeshiko won this round, I loved Juri and Hinaki's Arabian Nights themed performance a lot more. Juri's simply had the best songs all around this season. The part with Kokone getting the hiccups was cute, too.

Cornbread78

Kanokon ep. 7-END
This one stayed the course of being ecchi and fun through the second half. There were some action moments which served as a good break in momentum, but at it's core, this one was about our lead female trying to get a piece of our lead male MC. The last episode got kind of serious and cute for no reason, but it was a good moment, and that last scene, was even better becuase it kept teh theme of teh show intact through the serious moment. What a lucky MC we have here, lol.

Overall, this one was just plain fun to watch since it never takes itself seriously and the characters are all pretty enjoyable. And who doesn't love this time of lead female? More liek this is a good thing to break up more serious anime themes and series.

Oh and the best line of the series:

"If there’s no bread, just have cake"
-Wolf chick

Kill La Kill Documentary-500 Days of Hell

I mean I had seen these stylistic flairs before and they're distinctive but I didn't know it had a proper industry term attached.

Obari Pose is a weird one as it has quite a few different names attached to it. Obari himself calls it Yuusha Perspective but it's mostly called Brave Perspective/Sunrise Stance.

There's also things like the Itano Circus and SHAFT Angle (The headtilts) as well.

Jarmel

Banned
Isn't that his wife lol.

That's Naoko Tsutsumi, the production desk for Kill La Kill.

I searched to see if they're married but I couldn't find anything.

Obari Pose is a weird one as it has quite a few different names attached to it. Obari himself calls it Yuusha Perspective but it's mostly called Brave Perspective/Sunrise Stance.

There's also things like the Itano Circus and SHAFT Angle (The headtilts) as well.

I think I had heard Brave Perspective used but yea it's not a pervasive term. People usually just take a snapshot of it's use and highlight it's similarities to the large X number of anime that've used it before.

Itano Circus is an absurdly famous 'flair'. Itano long got showed up in that category lol. I remember talking with some people about it's use in Eureka 7 and a few guys were stunned that Itano didn't work on the show, because of how much the term is attached to the show.

Mirai Nikki - 14

They really turned up the crazy and creepy volume on Yuno. Even greater forces are starting to rock the boat. I feel the addition of a certain character who isn't an owner (to my knowledge at least) brings an element of "normal" and to some extent grounded actions which I appreciate.
I have to give props to Yuno VA, I thought one line in particular in this episode was very well performed.

One thing the specials does besides comic relief is that they often address situations or question that seem odd in the show. A small thing that bugged me was how a certain phone was waterproof (this wasn't even related to anything big), which they addressed to my surprise.

Puruzi

Banned
Kanokon ep. 7-END
This one stayed the course of being ecchi and fun through the second half. There were some action moments which served as a good break in momentum, but at it's core, this one was about our lead female trying to get a piece of our lead male MC. The last episode got kind of serious and cute for no reason, but it was a good moment, and that last scene, was even better becuase it kept teh theme of teh show intact through the serious moment. What a lucky MC we have here, lol.

Overall, this one was just plain fun to watch since it never takes itself seriously and the characters are all pretty enjoyable. And who doesn't love this time of lead female? More liek this is a good thing to break up more serious anime themes and series.

Oh and the best line of the series:

"If there’s no bread, just have cake"
-Wolf chick
in the manga they have sex and have kids really quickly through bullshit Fox magic

Jarmel

Banned
From the LWA Making Of Documentary

Hahahaha holy shit

That's hilarious because after he finishes the key animation for KLK's OP, he grabs his backpack and dashes out of the building. I guess they're going home on separate trains.
I suppose you would have to end up marrying inside the industry in order to keep anything resembling a relationship. I thought it was impressive that Yoshinari found time to date and marry considering his work schedule. lol

kSLlWIx.jpg

Probably was a little chilly that night morning at the Yoshinari household.

/XX/

Kill La Kill Documentary-500 Days of Hell
I really appreciate that you put here such an interesting summary of it. It is really worth of this nice exposure, for sure!

I mean I had seen these stylistic flairs before and they're distinctive but I didn't know it had a proper industry term attached.
Not sure if too generalizing to say industry-wide terms, but maybe this instead brought more personal definitions as perceived by those close peers at the studio, those more directly influenced by those characteristics traits and therefore associating themselves with such traits in particular manners. In the circle of those who probably suggested for those terms to appear as is in the documentary it could be as said there, of course... and like Kraker recently made reference of, overseas fans could have influenced that view into the matter as well.

gainax still has talent. Its diluted but its still there.
Agreed, and I've been waiting too much time for more ammo (to fight this good fight) in the form of a pilot film, now called an 'Overture' (too much Das Rheingold for Mr. Yamaga, perhaps?), long ago promised... until then, let's just say the backbone in the form of the original board of directors (most of it) is still there!

Midonin

Etotama 10

Any episode with Chu-tan is going to be more serious than usual, and unlike Uri-tan, I think(?) the show isn't joking around this time. Uri was just stabbed pretty badly.
Mo-tan had her soul, her being, her concept of self destroyed by the zodiac equivalent of dark magic. She also gets a "really dead" montage, but I get the feeling the show's playing for keeps this time.
I'm hesitant after the last fakeout, but if I'm played like a fool, it's better to be made a fool and have the emotions the show wants me to have than to maintain a cynical distance and not get any enjoyment out of it at all.

Shirobako showed it, but this summary of yours was quite nice. Anime seems a nightmare to make. I don't understand why they make episodes on a weekly basis, rather than having everything done before the whole show airs. I get that that's how it works, but it seems so nonsensical since it obviously will lead to situations such as the ones shown on that documentary.

Cornbread78

in the manga they have sex and have kids really quickly through bullshit Fox magic

Seriously? How did they translate that into what we saw in the animated version? That might have actually been more interesting than the B Gata parody we got. I mean, at least the kept it funny and fun to watch but still, that kind of plot twist could have been insane, lol.

Oh, does anyone happen to have an extra Crunchy pass? Someone gave me one on Twitter but it was expired.... : (

Etotama come out soon!!!

Puruzi

Banned
Seriously? How did they translate that into what we saw in the animated version? Taht might have actually been more interesting than the B Gata parody we got. I mean, at least the kept it funny and fun to watch but still, that kind of plot twist could have been insane, lol.
It's not in the anime, the manga had a much better story.
The MC and main girl were fighting someone, and they had sex to power up. Short time skip later and it turns out she got pregs and had his kids

Cornbread78

It's not in the anime, the manga had a much better story.
The MC and main girl were fighting someone, and they had sex to power up. Short time skip later and it turns out she got pregs and had his kids

WOW, I wonder
which battle, lol. Must have been with that winged guy one..

Kyousougiga 8

lg9Gqam.jpg

Please tell me I'm not the only person that was visually impressed during this segment where the color red/blood was used to symbolize Koto's dread.

This was a wonderful episode that provide answers to what this world really is and what's occurring.
This separate dimension is called the 13th Plane and seems like it's causing an unbalanced disturbance between other worlds.
The Chief Priest is here to settle things with Inari and the later seems to cherish his family to great lengths. I really loved the confrontation between Myoue and Koto, it was a nice little talk between 2 family members. I find Koto's personality and straightforwardness such an enjoyable trait to her character. I can't help but root for her when she basically said for the Chief Priest to screw off if he didn't help.

It was a great episode.

Jarmel

Banned
Shirobako showed it, but this summary of hours was quite nice. Anime seems a nightmare to make. I don't understand why they make episodes on a weekly basis, rather than having everything done before the whole show airs. I get that that's how it works, but it seems so nonsensical since it obviously will lead to situations such as the ones shown on that documentary.

That's how it's supposed to go. When BONES is not killing themselves, they usually have most of the show done before launch. Heroman was totally finished before airing. KyoAni shows are mostly done too before broadcast. That's how production scheduling should go. It shouldn't be like how it's portrayed in Shirobako but that usually ends being the case.

I'm actually kinda afraid about how LWA2 is going to turn out. They're pretty much not going to be sleeping this month.

Not sure if too generalizing to say industry-wide terms, but maybe this instead brought more personal definitions as perceived by those close peers at the studio, those more directly influenced by those characteristics traits and therefore associating themselves with such traits in particular manners. In the circle of those who probably suggested for those terms to appear as is in the documentary it could be as said there, of course... and like Kraker recently made reference of, overseas fans could have influenced that view into the matter as well.

I just thought it was interesting because I always attributed it to solely to an animator's personal style. Like the animator would randomly add it in while drawing. While that's still the case, it feels a bit less sporadic.

phaze

Elfen Lied 1

A show this pretty can't possibly be bad right ? Even more, it eschews the classic high school setting trope and stars college aged protagonists. I've a good feeling about this. And you know you are about to dive into a piece of refined art when even the opening is sang in Latin.

I liked this show better when it was about a psycho murdering soldiers left and right in the deluge of blood. Not when it suddenly shifted into harem with literally brain damaged catgirl with Keyesque character designs.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Well, it's already Friday in GMT+7 and up countries, including Japan.

Maria the virgin witch 8-10

Well, decide to go back watching it after seeing this youtube video about the mostrealistic fight in anime

So yeah, the church in this story is a major bastard. Seriously, a monk casually told a mercenary to rape someone so that their side could win a war. That's fucked up.

Kyousougiga 9

The Direction, the Visuals, the OST, and just everything about this episode was phenomenal.😯 This episode clearly conveyed Inari/God as a careless deadbeat dad and how everyone else including his lover, family, and brother got caught into his careless actions. Though he may be seen as a careless individual, his purpose was finally shown. To have Myoue finally find his path and become the Priest in order to set things straight. Although Myoue's dad did a pretty terrible job at it because the ones that did accomplish the job was his siblings. Though it does make sense since his siblings were created to help him find the right path and comfort him along the way from the very beginning. The way this episode connected the dots and answered some of the existing questions was nice.

“I’m sorry I said you bring the end. Koto… you’re the beginning for me.” – Myoue

When this dialogue was said during the scene between Myoue and Koto it really did help emphasize the strong bonds they created throughout the series. So far this series has definitely did a brilliant job in emphasizing the theme of family bonds and the strength they carry. Seeing the sibling bonds, the mother's love for her children, the father's seemingly clueless but love for his kids, or Koto's undisputed love for her family. All of which help connect together to create this central theme. Matsumoto Rie has definitely succeeded in accomplishing her goal of conveying the unbreakable bonds of a family. Damn I'm pretty sad the next episode is the last one because this series has been a beautiful ride that's been a enjoyable viewing experience.

Arcadius

Banned
Yuri Kuma Arashi

Wow, so this was something else. A Romeo Juliet type of story, with 100% yuri involved. Really interesting. Something to watch entirely through though, since the way the story goes, you'll essentially be confused until you get to the last episode or so; unfortunate it's shown this way, because it becomes an easy excuse to just toss the anime aside, but I think the way that Yuri Kuma Arashi handled the story is pretty great, especially since it's not really about bears and yuri, well sort of, but not really.

Following Kureka Tsukabi, Lulu Yurigasaki and Ginko Yurishiro, we witness a blossoming love story. The entire plot and how it is shown is quite surreal. A beautiful art style is involved too, which makes it incredibly easy to watch; also helped by the ecchi and yuri scenes of course! =)

The seiyu though, did a fantastic job. All the intricate noises and sounds the girls had to do were fantastic. "Gau gau" and adding cute noises to words and everything else, honestly, I could just listen to them speak with those voices all day, so good.

OP for Yuri Kuma Arashi is the best. I was introduced to the OP before I wanted to watch the show, so I knew about the song beforehand and my goodness, I love it. Bonjour Suzuki, the artist that did the OP is utterly fantastic, I now own her music because of this OP. Speaking of which, the OP works really well with Yuri Kuma Arashi as well, so that's a plus. ED is nice too, but what made the ED amazing was the art that was shown with it and the dancing Kuma. Aside from the OP and ED, I'd say most of the music and sounds that were played were really well done, especially the kuma scenes. Nice orchestral music was played when expected and helped heighten emotions during special scenes.

Overall, I really like Yuri Kuma Arashi, sure there may be a lot of ecchi scenes and yes, it uses bears and yuri to tell it's story, but it's a good one none-the-less. I'd most definitely recommend, but only if you're okay with the ecchi/fan service type of things. It's all very symbolic.

10/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom