• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterok

Ika Musume 11

BURN THOSE DOLLS WITH FIRE! THEY ARE OUT TO MURDER HUMANITY! Now Chizuru is an alien. Didn't realize ninjas were aliens. Americans still can't put their stuff to good use. Little invisible fly? Spy on a Japanese woman. At least Nagisa found some comrades. Hiking in Japan is dangerous. Remind never to do that.

Toei da gawds. Glad you liked it. KG probably has a spot in my Top 3. Now watch episode 0 if you haven't yet. And this PV too. I think a lot of footage from there didn't make it to either iteration of the story.

Looking at the PV the fight between the Mother and Father wouldn't have made sense in the context of the story, plus is it me or does the Mother look a bit sinister. They most likely revised it or something. As for Episode zero I might watch it later on or tomorrow.

I would also want Matsumoto Rie to do more with series but since Toei has the IP I doubt that will ever happen.😒

phaze

Looking at the PV the fight between the Mother and Father wouldn't have made sense in the context of the story, plus is it me or does the Mother look a bit sinister. They most likely revised it or something. As for Episode zero I might watch it later on or tomorrow.

I would also want Matsumoto Rie to do more with series but since Toei has the IP I doubt that will ever happen.😒

Well yeah the story was clearly severely revised and expanded from what it originally was as you'll see when you watch 0.

So I finished Ojamajo Doremi and while it was indeed a (mostly) thoroughly enjoyable kids show I want to note down some rambles I had about it. For most people, just ignore this wall of pointless, badly written text.

Since it's meant for me (This was part of an old watchbet that I keep forgetting about), I'm going to just reply to this very large wall of text.

One of the minor problems that Doremi has is a bunch of minor plot holes, the biggest of which is one that you won't realise until you hit Sharp but for everyone else:
It's that succession to the throne of the Witch World is done when a baby is born from a blue rose (witches are born from roses) and is not decided by who currently owns the Maho-dou.
. These plot holes aren't really that important at the end of the day as the series is mostly about the characters anyway.

Now Hazuki gets the least amount of focus in the series and I have always felt that her episodes were the weakest of the lot. Aiko's sub-plot is one that continues throughout the series and doesn't really hit it's proper conclusion until very close to the end of the final series. I'm not sure how the central drama gets dispersed in a different episode though, I'd like to know where that happened as I can't remember that happening at all.

Pop is not a massive focus in the series overall but she does get some great episodes later on, including Sharp Episode 40 and Sharp's Film which are among the best the series has to offer.

As for Onpu, well the series use her to show off the fact that using the forbidden magic would have consequences and she mostly uses it for selfish reasons. When she does use that magic selflessly (In Episode 49), it's showing that while she became a witch apprentice to further her career, she could still be able to help others who needed it more and then the others then helped her out when it became apparent that she couldn't meet her father, which she rarely gets to see. She hasn't got that much to her at first but like the rest of the characters, you'll get more development to them as you watch the later series. Perhaps it would've been better if the introduced her earlier and built her character slightly more (similar to how late Minako comes up in the Dark Kingdom arc in Sailor Moon) but by the end of the series I think she turns out just fine.

When you put it in the way you did, the magic system is vague and later some aspects of the system aren't revisited for some reason. Although the key points of the system are pretty clear in that there are forbidden spells that cannot be used and the fact that magic uses energy. The amount of energy used per spell isn't really touched upon, only that Magical Stage uses more energy.

I'm glad you liked the series and I will get round to watching more Aria, I have been awfully slow at watching it!

Also I agree the OP is great, I've listened to it so many times (by-product of making a cover of it :p). The later OPs are just as good too! Plus 40 episodes in 4 days!? Didn't think you were going through it that quickly!

Naruto filler is continuing onto the next episode

hades-smoke-o.gif

Mr.Jeff

Now Hazuki gets the least amount of focus in the series and I have always felt that her episodes were the weakest of the lot.
I can agree with this. Near the end of the series, we're reminded of everyone's reason for becoming a witch and she states that it was because she wanted to change and cryptically to tell her mother and father something. Nothing changes. I'm not really bothered by this anyway because Hazuki character type is generally there to tick boxes; shy one, someone that is clever etc.

Aiko's sub-plot is one that continues throughout the series and doesn't really hit it's proper conclusion until very close to the end of the final series. I'm not sure how the central drama gets dispersed in a different episode though, I'd like to know where that happened as I can't remember that happening at all.
It revolves around
her going to visit her mother and jumping to the conclusion that she's remarried. presumably she would have told someone else about this even if it's just her friend but it's not until later in the arranged marriage episode that something raises the point "hey it might not be her kid y'know?".
You can kind of wave it away with flimsy logic like "well a child wouldn't think like that" but it feels a stretch and wastes some of the emotion from the scene.
Actually, there's something similar in the Harmonica episode; she bemoans how her dad doesn't equally value the harmonica he bought her when she was younger but at the time of the exam when she has to give it up to upgrade her poron, she does it without a second thought!

Pop is not a massive focus in the series overall but she does get some great episodes later on, including Sharp Episode 40 and Sharp's Film which are among the best the series has to offer.
It's a waste though! In the early episodes her interactions with Doremi are great! The show even makes a big deal about her becoming a witch apprentice and then just goes nowhere with it. It's not helped with the hazy magic system. You could have occasions where the elder children have to teach her something but since magic consists of point+wish = magic, it's a bit hollow.

As for Onpu, well the series use her to show off the fact that using the forbidden magic would have consequences and she mostly uses it for selfish reasons. When she does use that magic selflessly (In Episode 49), it's showing that while she became a witch apprentice to further her career, she could still be able to help others who needed it more and then the others then helped her out when it became apparent that she couldn't meet her father, which she rarely gets to see. She hasn't got that much to her at first but like the rest of the characters, you'll get more development to them as you watch the later series. Perhaps it would've been better if the introduced her earlier and built her character slightly more (similar to how late Minako comes up in the Dark Kingdom arc in Sailor Moon) but by the end of the series I think she turns out just fine.
Onpu's not introduced that late into the series in the grand scheme of things.
While Onpu's use of magic is mostly used for selfish reasons which I will begrudge is sort of waved away by her final episodes, at the beginning her use of magic feels spontaneous and has little impact on the cast. Their attention spans on her use of forbidden magic evaporates quickly after some platitudes about how she shouldn't do it.
Even her reactions towards the ojamajos as they try to engage on conversation the few times she sticks around long enough feel disproportionate to how they treat her.

I'm glad you liked the series and I will get round to watching more Aria, I have been awfully slow at watching it!

Also I agree the OP is great, I've listened to it so many times (by-product of making a cover of it :p). The later OPs are just as good too!
I look forward to your impressions of Aria and also Mushishi at some point too. I will continue on my Doremi journey!

I feel bad for not spending more time commenting on things I loved about the show but people far better than I have done a much better job on that! Also, my personality seems to be better equipped for being negative than positive.

Sterok

Ika Musume 12

Ika and Eiko can unite for their love of 3D. That should be cheating using the tentacles, but I guess there are no rules here. Gorou and his buddy were mighty impressive to stand up against Ika. Chizuru really wanted that TV too. Drama. Yeah, Ika is special in large part thanks to her squid abilities, but also because she's a fun person naive about the world. That was good, and I can't wait for more Ika Musume/Splatoon stuff. Should I watch more squids, or move onto something else?

Why is JoJo pure hype? I really don't know why I stopped watching after like 5 episodes a while ago. I mean I just started to continue watching and holy shit has it been good so far. Man seeing
Zeppeli go down like that
brought in manly tears. Please tell me it only gets better.

Also which JoJo season is the best so far from anyone who's up to date with the series?

Why is JoJo pure hype? I really don't know why I stopped watching after like 5 episodes a while ago. I mean I just started to continue watching and holy shit has it been good. God seeing
Zeppeli go down like that
made me cry manly tears. Please tell me it only gets better.

Also which JoJo season is the best so far from anyone who's up to date with the series?

Most people will probably tell you Part 2 which is the latter half of the first season, but has more episodes.

I think Part 3 (Stardust Crusaders) is better

Most people will probably tell you Part 2 which is the latter half of the first season, but has more episodes.

I think Part 3 (Stardust Crusaders) is better

I guess I'll find out then. Also will they adapt more of the series considering it has more source material to go on with? And finally since your well aware of the manga which part is the best?

Omedeto! You've just finished one of the best.

Yeah it was definitely a good quality series that I will remember as a gem and be apart of my top 10 anime.

I guess I'll find out then. Also will they adapt more of the series considering it has more source material to go on with?

I don't see why they wouldn't. JoJo is getting a second wave of Western popularity (with a dub coming soon) and is getting new games coming out, plus JoJolion itself is still going. Expect some sort of Part 4 tease in the last minute of Stardust and Part 4 for 2016.

And finally since your well aware of the manga which part is the best?

7 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 6 > 5 > 1. Most people have 7 and 4 at the top and 5 and 1 at the bottom. The other 3 are more nebulous.

2 and 6 kinda switch depending on my mood. I'm sure after we've gotten through all the parts anime wise I'll switch em around some more.

Reknoc

I don't see why they wouldn't. JoJo is getting a second wave of Western popularity (with a dub coming soon) and is getting new games coming out, plus JoJolion itself is still going. Expect some sort of Part 4 tease in the last minute of Stardust and Part 4 for 2016.

7 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 6 > 5 > 1. Most people have 7 and 4 at the top and 5 and 1 at the bottom. The other 3 are more nebulous.

2 and 6 kinda switch depending on my mood. I'm sure after we've gotten through all the parts anime wise I'll switch em around some more.

cant deal with this, thought you were one of the good guys

I can agree with this. Near the end of the series, we're reminded of everyone's reason for becoming a witch and she states that it was because she wanted to change and cryptically to tell her mother and father something. Nothing changes. I'm not really bothered by this anyway because Hazuki character type is generally there to tick boxes; shy one, someone that is clever etc.

Pretty much. You may have noticed what Hazuki wants to change about herself during her episodes. It becomes a lot more apparent as the series progresses.

It revolves around
her going to visit her mother and jumping to the conclusion that she's remarried. presumably she would have told someone else about this even if it's just her friend but it's not until later in the arranged marriage episode that something raises the point "hey it might not be her kid y'know?".
You can kind of wave it away with flimsy logic like "well a child wouldn't think like that" but it feels a stretch and wastes some of the emotion from the scene.
Actually, there's something similar in the Harmonica episode; she bemoans how her dad doesn't equally value the harmonica he bought her when she was younger but at the time of the exam when she has to give it up to upgrade her poron, she does it without a second thought!

The harmonica is her most precious instrument (which is what was needed to power up the poron) so it would make the most sense that she uses it to power it up. The poron power up scene is just there to top off how important her relationship with her parents is. Also I had a quick look back on Episode 34 and 47 and from what I've got
both Doremi and Hazuki knew about what she saw, in fact it was Hazuki who told Aiko that the baby may not have been Aiko's Mother's and that's what leads her to go and brake up the arranged marrage meeting.

It's a waste though! In the early episodes her interactions with Doremi are great! The show even makes a big deal about her becoming a witch apprentice and then just goes nowhere with it. It's not helped with the hazy magic system. You could have occasions where the elder children have to teach her something but since magic consists of point+wish = magic, it's a bit hollow.

She's very good at magic unlike the rest of them but she can't be an Ojamajo without being bad at something and that is that she can't stay up long enough to take the witch exams. They could've done a bit more with her on that front in S1 but as I said we do see a bit more of her later on and in some of my favourite episodes of the series too!

Onpu's not introduced that late into the series in the grand scheme of things.
While Onpu's use of magic is mostly used for selfish reasons which I will begrudge is sort of waved away by her final episodes, at the beginning her use of magic feels spontaneous and has little impact on the cast. Their attention spans on her use of forbidden magic evaporates quickly after some platitudes about how she shouldn't do it.
Even her reactions towards the ojamajos as they try to engage on conversation the few times she sticks around long enough feel disproportionate to how they treat her.

I guess they just wanted to be friends with her, she's in the same situation as they are (in that they're all witch apprentices). It's a flimsy connection I know but it's the best I can come up with at this time :p

I look forward to your impressions of Aria and also Mushishi at some point too. I will continue on my Doremi journey!

I'm only on Episode 6 of Aria at the moment although that can easily be fixed after I finish off what I'm currently watching

I feel bad for not spending more time commenting on things I loved about the show but people far better than I have done a much better job on that! Also, my personality seems to be better equipped for being negative than positive.

Not a problem, I keep gushing on about how great Doremi is anyway, it's nice to see someone pick some holes in it no matter how insignificant they may be! It generates some discussion and hopefully gets even more people to watch it.

See the bolded text above (Thought that would make it easier to read for everyone).

"That gif" you mean the one above, or is there a more notorious one out there?

There was actually a kissing scene one on Tumblr, but it's kind of a spoiler, however, it had a great background to it..

i don't want to spoil you but
That gif is called kana_tears.gif
Someone should have it

JoJo Bizarre Adventure 8

Dio too OP, please nerf. I mean the dude just let out a laser beam lol.😆

Also Speedwagon is a hilarious commentator making everyone seem like a badass of the century.

With the amount of coverage and love that SNAFU2 is getting, I'll be damned if once we have enough source material we don't get a season 3. I think that it is pretty much on lock.

JoJo Bizarre Adventure 9

Fuck you Dio Fuck yooooooooou! 😑 You
had to kill Jonathan Joestar you piece of shit. Oh well at least he died manly while holding down Dio's head. He died like badass and as a true noble gentleman.
Still fuck you Dio.

Anyways it seems the
legacy will continue on.

ETOTAMA - 10

OMG
This freaking episode...
It delivered.
Moo-tan , best bro , best pervert , best eto-shin...you name it...

This episode , was surprinsly well done... a decent flashback , cool jokes , and such a delicious PLOT.. the fight was just SUPERB.

Etotama certainly had some rough spots , but it has some freaking well done episodes
UPDATE : New ranking

1) Moo-tan
99) Everyone else.

Moo-tan went all out from the start and it was glorious..., she however met some nasty cheat codes in front of her.
Damn i hope she isn't dead. I guess is that she lost her eto-shin status and went back to an eto-musume. Hopefully she will have enough power to do so.

Cornbread78

You should have a catgirl avatar.

Cajun would approve of this..

I didnt like AnoNatsu at all. Hated all the characters for some reason.

They haven't been bad other than the annoying friend of the girl the MC knew in middle school. Panty girl is one of the best.

My poor heart.

Love the artwork, Yui is great.

Cornbread is going through every single show that I have already watched and liked lol. This show was cute aha

Lol, what Crunchy show should I go to next..

God Eater New Key Visual of the two Main Characters[/b

I really hope this turns out great considering I love the games.

Holy shit. I can't fucking wait.

Lol, what Crunchy show should I go to next..
Whenever you ask I never know which to suggest, however seeing how you are watching every single thing I've already watched there are plenty of shows out there that I probably enjoyed but can't remember lol. Keep watching stuff, and if anything I'll tell you if I watched it and liked it or not :p this one was great, like I said very cute from start to finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom