• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Hestia stans can't tell days of the week, shocking.

tumblr_nmrr2lnLxe1tga1sco1_500.gif

I hope you can feel that Syrinx..

phaze

Hahahaa! Elfen Lied! The start of the episode, with the dojikko secretary, is pure gold.
Certainly the highlight so far.
Kyousougiga 9
The Direction, the Visuals, the OST, and just everything about this episode was phenomenal.😯 This episode clearly conveyed Inari/God as a careless deadbeat dad and how everyone else including his lover, family, and brother got caught into his careless actions. Though he may be seen as a careless individual, his purpose was finally shown. To have Myoue finally find his path and become the Priest in order to set things straight. Although Myoue's dad did a pretty terrible job at it because the ones that did accomplish the job was his siblings. Though it does make sense since his siblings were created to help him find the right path and comfort him along the way from the very beginning. The way this episode connected the dots and answered some of the existing questions was nice.

When this dialogue was said during the scene between Myoue and Koto it really did help emphasize the strong bonds they created throughout the series. So far this series has definitely did a brilliant job in emphasizing the theme of family bonds and the strength they carry. Seeing the sibling bonds, the mother's love for her children, the father's seemingly clueless but love for his kids, or Koto's undisputed love for her family. All of which help connect together to create this central theme. Matsumoto Rie has definitely succeeded in accomplishing her goal of conveying the unbreakable bonds of a family. Damn I'm pretty sad the next episode is the last one because this series has been a beautiful ride that's been a enjoyable viewing experience.

That goddamn dog scene. ._. <Assuming I'm not mixing up the episodes >

Elfen Lied 1

A show this pretty can't possibly be bad right ? Even more, it eschews the classic high school setting trope and stars college aged protagonists. I've a good feeling about this. And you know you are about to dive into a piece of refined art when even the opening is sang in Latin.

I liked this show better when it was about a psycho murdering soldiers left and right in the deluge of blood. Not when it suddenly shifted into harem with literally brain damaged catgirl with Keyesque character designs.

Have you seen brindlyr into darkness ? it's the same thing .. and it's still very bad.

sonicmj1

Shirobako showed it, but this summary of yours was quite nice. Anime seems a nightmare to make. I don't understand why they make episodes on a weekly basis, rather than having everything done before the whole show airs. I get that that's how it works, but it seems so nonsensical since it obviously will lead to situations such as the ones shown on that documentary.
It's basically the same as the game industry.

Paltheos

Yeah I hear you. This show has a strange eerie and ominous feel in th e background throughout. The director does a great job making you feel that as well. I can't say much else since you're nearing the deadline, but yeah, enjoy the final run!

Same here. I don't like most anime based off Key stuff, but Kanon '06 is the exception. I like the lead allot as well that undercurrent of things being horribly off.
After a rewatch a few years ago, some of them are definitely a little hamfisted, like some of the camera work on Nayuki's face when she talks about Yuichi staying with them from now on or Ayu chasing after the wings on her backpack while the sun sets in the background, but allot of other stuff like that particular shot of Ayu talking about getting more takoyaki with more money feels just right.
I don't think the show gets enough credit for its direction.

I'd had similar expectations of Clannad (I watched '06 shortly after it came out) but was really disappointed. Kanon's direction is head and shoulders better. I also think Kanon's better overall anyway for other reasons, but that's a different topic.

Etotama - 10

Recap episode redeemed. This was nice, I didn't expect a longer fight like this. I'm really impressed with the choreography, even if I feel this didn't top Shima battle (which was shorter tho). Rat got straight up nuts.
I'm a bit disappointed that the Boar battle was pretty much non existent, but after this I guess I can shrug it off. As for the ending, I think it'll be solved, fool me once...
I hope :(

uyyvgubnij.gif

wfdxauyzvt.gif

Elfen Lied 1

A show this pretty can't possibly be bad right ? Even more, it eschews the classic high school setting trope and stars college aged protagonists. I've a good feeling about this. And you know you are about to dive into a piece of refined art when even the opening is sang in Latin.

I liked this show better when it was about a psycho murdering soldiers left and right in the deluge of blood. Not when it suddenly shifted into harem with literally brain damaged catgirl with Keyesque character designs.

Why do this to yourself?

Arcadius

Banned
It was real good, not as good as Penguindrum. (Well I thought)
Was still great everytime https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAfS-qoivKY

I've never seen Penguindrum or anything else Ikuhara has made, should I take a look into Penguindrum?

Sabagebu!

Episode 1:

Wow, this is amazing. Cute girls and guns. The imagination of the BB guns being real guns is pretty fantastic too, I feel like this is going to absolutely amazing to watch.

Cornbread78

Same here. I don't like most anime based off Key stuff, but Kanon '06 is the exception. I like the lead allot as well that undercurrent of things being horribly off.
After a rewatch a few years ago, some of them are definitely a little hamfisted, like some of the camera work on Nayuki's face when she talks about Yuichi staying with them from now on or Ayu chasing after the wings on her backpack while the sun sets in the background, but allot of other stuff like that particular shot of Ayu talking about getting more takoyaki with more money feels just right.
I don't think the show gets enough credit for its direction.

I'd had similar expectations of Clannad (I watched '06 shortly after it came out) but was really disappointed. Kanon's direction is head and shoulders better. I also think Kanon's better overall anyway for other reasons, but that's a different topic.

I actually think Clannad does an even better job at it because everythign from the EP to moments within S1 really come back to shine in the After Story. I was floored by how everything played out in the end and how the directer crafted those moments and filled them with emotions.

I mean little details like
the name Ushio and that whole scene with Nagisa and Tomoya on the beach. They even give the definition right there, but it is so ingrained in the larger vision for the series from the first season and all teh way through the after story that it hits you. Then you have all the little details with Akio and Sanae that come back during the play scene when Akio speaks out to Nagisa. Then you have the damn play itself, that finally reveals itself at the end
There is a bunch more carry-overs from Season 1 to the after story but those are jsut the quickest references I could remember. Little details with big impact.

Puruzi

Banned
I

Sabagebu!

Episode 1:

Wow, this is amazing. Cute girls and guns. The imagination of the BB guns being real guns is pretty fantastic too, I feel like this is going to absolutely amazing to watch.
Best comedy in a long ass time, absolutely loved this. Just know that Momoka and Urara are the real MVPs of the show.

Elfen Lied 1

Why are people watching Elfen Lied and Mirai Nikki??? What year is it???

Cornbread78

Sabagebu!

Episode 1:

Nice, I watch an episode a week just to keep the laughs coming. It's awesome! Plus, the show has one of the best gifs ever..

The fruit of grisaia :
It's the MC mentor/teacher
Badass character all-around.

Yes, best master and sensei ever.

Arcadius

Banned
Best comedy in a long ass time, absolutely loved this. Just know that Momoka and Urara are the real MVPs of the show.

Ahaha they already look like the best girls of the show for show, Urara the cute Loli
masochist
and Momoka a super talented
sadistic girl
, so good. At least, that's what I got from Episode 2 already, ahaha.

Nice, I watch an episode a week just to keep the laughs coming. It's awesome! Plus, the show has one of the best gifs ever..

Ahaha, I see.

Will do!

Mandelbo

Yay, now that exams are over I can catch up on the stuff that's been airing recently! I've got like eight episodes of Euphonium to watch, six of Etotama, a number of things for Plastic Memories... I'd better get cracking!

Midonin

Punchline 10

So that's the reason behind all this.
Another ploy to evolve humanity against its will.
There's been more hints dropped - like how the cooperation of the tenants is important to all this - and the lack of music and "calm before the storm" feeling that this episode had me makes me excited for what's to come. I'm not 100% sure what plan Yuuta has come up with, but it's going to be a Happy New Year at any cost.

phaze

Have you seen brindlyr into darkness ? it's the same thing .. and it's still very bad.

i've heard the tales of its glory but haven't seen it. Doesn't it rush its manga material to extreme ?
Why do this to yourself?
You cannot truly appreciate good anime if you never venture into the lower strata of chinese cartoons.
Why are people watching Elfen Lied and Mirai Nikki??? What year is it???

It's a bad year for anime. Perfect time to catch up on the classics !
Ninja Slayer 09

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Soul of Gold is the better no budget show this season.

Jex

[Space Battleship Yamato 2199: Odyssey of the Celestial Ark]

I am happy to report that Yamato 2199 is both back and good. This, remains, a minor a miracle.

For the first 20 or so minutes of the movie I was extremely worried. As the this movie is set before the finale of the series everything felt pretty pointless. I mean, we already know how everything is going to resolve, who lives and who dies. To add to this problem, most of the interactions between the crew members felt pretty awkward.

Therefore I was extremely relieved when the main thrust of the movie revealed itself and the story got down to business. To be honest, it felt like an extended episode of Star Trek which, frankly, is a good thing because Yamato 2199 is at it's best when its exploring that kind of sci-fi storyline. I won't say anymore, because there's a variety of twists and turns, but suffice to say its fairly engaging.

This was also a wise move because there's little point having the movie revolve around battles that we already know the resolution to because we've seen how the show ends. There are still some cool space battles, of course, but they aren't the focus of the story.

Still, the movie certainly has issues. The first 20 or so minutes feel extremely awkward. Some of the writing for the characters just doesn't flow right. However, on the whole, I am extremely pleased with the result.

The movie also makes it abundantly clear that they're looking to make more Yamato 2199 in the future as there are certain plot elements introduced here that obviously set up a sequel series. I can only hope they get their wish.

Ninja Slayer 09

In this episode -

A solid minute of nothing. Like seriously they just sat and looked at each other for a minute.
If you take enough drugs you can upload your soul to IRC (like Duckroll)
A worm guy from the Matrix
Nancy gets felt up. For a while.
Fuck and sayonara, man.
A ninja? What the fuck!
"Sawatari is becoming confused by the memories of the Vietnam War possessed by his Ninja Soul."
Ninja Slayer puts in the USB the right way on the first try
Ninja Slayer tries to stop a wall of lasers by throwing a shuriken at it

Is this show terrible or amazing? You tell me cuz I don't know

[Space Battleship Yamato 2199: Odyssey of the Celestial Ark]

The movie also makes it abundantly clear that they're looking to make more Yamato 2199 in the future as there are certain plot elements introduced here that obviously set up a sequel series. I can only hope they get their wish.

Isn't Yamato still pretty popular

Cornbread78

Yay, now that exams are over I can catch up on the stuff that's been airing recently! I've got like eight episodes of Euphonium to watch, six of Etotama, a number of things for Plastic Memories... I'd better get cracking!

Oh man, you got some good stuff t go watch now. Especially with those two!

I've never seen Penguindrum or anything else Ikuhara has made, should I take a look into Penguindrum?.

Definitely watch Pengiundrum, in constrat to the recent Yuri Kuma Arashi, Penguindrum does a far better job in easing the audience into the world of mindfuck instead of just a straight dive in face-first.

From the New World 16

Despite the slight monotony that fleetingly appeared, this was a fantastic and exceedingly emotional episode. Though heavily expository, it was rather well-paced, as it expertly captured the emotionally somber nature of the episode, while simultaneously weaving a myriad of subtly foreshadowed narrative threads into a satisfying tapestry. Thankfully, the tragic nature of the episode never became excessively dramatic, instead relying on the well-written characters to strengthen the significance of the melancholic tone that permeated the episode. This particular arc, though occasionally tedious, was exceptionally intriguing and very well-executed, particularly in regards to the narrative. It also benefited immensely from a greater consistency within its storytelling, since, aside from one overly monotonous episode, it never faltered to the extent displayed toward the end of the opening arc, in which the majority of the final three episodes were dull and repetitive.

The altered OP was a bit awkwardly handled, but it was quite effective nonetheless, succinctly conveying the underlying theme within the episode. The visual implementation of
Maria and Saki&#8217;s blossoming childhood friendship
worked exceedingly well as a transition into the flashback that was filtered throughout the first half of the episode. This sequence was expositional in nature, but it was executed in a fairly naturalistic manner, cleverly avoiding the tedium that typically lies within these moments of reverie. Thankfully,
Maria&#8217;s self-imposed exile
complemented this particular approach to storytelling, which certainly benefited an otherwise conventional method. Maria&#8217;s letter and the vignette that followed profoundly captured the depth of her relationship with Saki. The egg metaphor Maria momentarily touched on was keenly insightful, illustrating the perverse atrophy that had, long ago, infected humanity. These moments greatly heightened the intensity of their search, which consequently elevated the significance of Saki&#8217;s gradual realization that
their hopes were futile
. Of particular note was the desperation she so mournfully conveyed when telling Satoru of the terrible possibility that, over time,
they&#8216;ll be made to forget Maria and Mamoru entirely, just as they nearly have in regards to Shun
. This thoughtful approach to the construction of the narrative and, in turn, the characters, continues to be immensely satisfying in its execution.

Although a touch of despair typically pervades the narrative, this episode strongly accentuated, above most others, the increasingly lamentable nature of their existences. As such, the opening sequence brilliantly established the
inescapable hopelessness of their current situation
; a deeply sorrowful note that lingered throughout the rest of the episode. The only prior episode that so confidently and effectively illustrated the melancholy that was so heavily displayed in this one was the tenth, in which
Shun&#8217;s death was so strikingly depicted
. Once again, Saki,
seemingly as an adult, one that is aware of all the misfortune that will soon ensnare them
, offered a bit of foreboding narration, in which
she alluded to the queerats manipulation of their current selves
. Of course, this isn&#8217;t at all unexpected, as the
deceptive nature of the queerats was exemplified by Squealer&#8217;s unflinching desire to elaborately commit treason against the Ethics Committee
, which was beautifully Machiavellian. The understated conclusion to this episode smartly conveyed the extent of
Saki and Satoru&#8217;s oppressive isolation
and the manner in which it is gradually consuming them, seemingly foreshadowing their development in the final arc in a very unsettling fashion.

The darkly surrealistic imagery in
Saki&#8217;s nightmare
superbly complemented the increasingly uncertain position they&#8216;ve found themselves in. This premonition seemingly foretold that
Maria and Mamoru would soon fade into a distant memory, forgotten like so many before them, as they inevitably near the finality of their lives
. The youthful omen that menacingly approached at the culmination of
Saki&#8217;s dream
seems likely to become a significant character or figure within the final arc. Perhaps,
along with the queerest
, he will exist as the primary instigator of conflict. Though potentially an altogether absurd notion, there appears a faint possibility that this manifestation could be
Maria and Mamoru&#8216;s child
. Were this eventuality to occur, it would correlate, at least partially, with the declaration of
impending tragedy that Saki&#8216;s narration so compellingly assigned to Maria at the end of the first episode
. If so, the final arc promises to be quite devastating.

The narrative remains immensely compelling and refreshingly complex, which is effectively aided by the excellent writing and the skilful execution of the momentous developments within the story. The highlight of this arc was the morbidly surrealistic tenth episode, as the oppressive atmosphere, in combination with the fantastical visuals and wonderfully idiosyncratic direction illustrated a defining moment within the story, wherein the
remnants of naivety that remained began to disappear due to Shun&#8216;s death
. The methodical deterioration of
Group One as they existed at the beginning
has been wonderfully handled throughout. The societal decay that has infected their world, wrought from the
cruelties of their Elders, has extinguished Shun&#8217;s life and has effectively smothered even the most fragile possibility for happiness within Maria and Mamoru&#8217;s futures
. As such, the moment Saki reflected on this reality was very effective, elevated by the haunting shot of
Satoru transitioning into a ghostly illusion of Shun

Maria&#8217;s characterization was heightened considerably in this episode, as it satisfyingly illustrated the strength she possesses, while also emphasizing the complexity of her relationships with Mamoru and, in particular, Saki. Maria&#8217;s unwavering thoughtfulness in regards to Mamoru&#8217;s fragility was quite touching.
To abandon all admittedly naïve hope that her future might eventually return to the relative normalcy it once possessed solely in order to protect Mamoru was a very poignant revelation
. Though their contentedly worn veils of ignorance had been slipping for some time,
Maria&#8217;s acknowledgement that they had crumbled entirely
was a refreshing observation. In that realization, they finally understood the
savagery their village routinely practiced simply due to the fear that plagued them

If this is
to be their end, Maria and Mamoru&#8217;s mutual development was satisfyingly concluded. Unfortunately, similar to Shun and so many others, it appears likely that they will have merely existed as footnotes within a diseased society that had been carefully constructed throughout time
. From the moment the second arc began, they&#8217;ve increasingly appeared to be
clinging desperately to their lives, as a plethora of fatalistic touches have been woven into their development
. This particular approach to foreshadowing was exceedingly similar to that which accompanied Shun as
the story inched ever forward to his death
. Of course, I&#8217;d like to think that
Maria and Mamoru will discover an enduring happiness within some peaceful solitude
, but hardly anything indicates that to be a tangible possibility.

The desperate search for
Maria and Mamoru
towards the end was, by far, my favorite sequence, as nearly every element was meticulously crafted into an emotionally resonant and incredibly satisfying whole. The auburn sunset, in combination with Studio Pablo&#8217;s exquisite backgrounds, strongly accentuated the nihilistic finality within their search. This bleak atmosphere was further heightened by the clever usage of Dvorak&#8217;s symphony. The implementation of this particular piece illustrated a striking and disheartening parallel to the opening of the first episode, in which Dvorak&#8217;s symphony first appeared. Unlike the
funereal atmosphere
present throughout this moment, the violet sunset in the first was accompanied by a youthful happiness, depicting the whole group, as they were, unencumbered by a seemingly perpetual misery.

Unfortunately, the production qualities continue to be inconsistent, albeit not quite as egregiously as in the last two episodes. The direction was, thankfully, a marked improvement over that found in the previous episode. Although still prone to the occasional inconsistency, there was a certain confidence within the handling of this episode that had been lacking as of late. Of particular note was the ability to succinctly convey the complexity of certain moments though several superbly crafted shots, such as
Saki and Satoru isolated on the cliff, gazing outward at the sunset, both realizing the evaporation of their hopes
. This directorial touch was quite beneficial, given the emotionally significant nature of the episode. The storyboarding continues to be one of the strongest aspects of the show.

Musically, this episode was of an exceptional quality throughout, illuminating a melancholy that greatly complemented the hopeless atmosphere, once again displaying Komori&#8217;s proclivity for accentuating the unrelentingly bleak tone of the narrative. His music is typically understated and subdued, but it&#8217;s consistently used to a quietly chilling effect. Though this episode wasn&#8217;t exactly superbly animated, it was punctuated by a stunning bit of background animation as
Saki and Satoru continued their search for Maria and Mamoru through the snow-capped mountainside
. The art direction was quite impressive throughout, notably benefited by Studio Pablo&#8217;s backgrounds, which were, as expected, exquisitely detailed.

All in all, From the New World provided a beautiful conclusion to a highly impressive arc. As a whole, this arc was unquestionably stronger than the first, displaying a quality in its storytelling that rarely faltered and a more assured confidence throughout. Unfortunately, the show continues to possess several seemingly unavoidable flaws that similarly detracted from the first arc, such as a tendency for mediocrity within the production qualities, inconsistent (though generally solid) direction, and the occasional oddly paced episode. It continues to excel, however, with its complex insight into a plethora of characters, a thoroughly compelling narrative, and, most notably, its remarkably strong writing. This particular strength is perhaps its most exceptional, as the storytelling masterfully deconstructs the nuances of their society and the manner in which the characters are irrevocably entangled within its grasp. Hopefully the final arc proves to be a thoughtful and well-executed conclusion for what has been, so far, a marvelously told story.

Cornbread78

Ano Natsu de Matteru / Waiting in the Summer ep 1-9:
tumblr_lz00splOKR1r9c51co1_500.gif

You know, it kinda sucks I'm going to have to wait on the final couple episodes of this one because it has been pretty good so far. I&#8217;m actually surprised because the premise almost seems silly, (alien girls, filming a movie, etc) however, as you watch the series it is very well executed. They actually have character development for all the characters involved, there's a little backstory and you get a general sense of where the characters are coming from and what they want when it gets all crazy. The girls are pretty well drawn as well and the settings/ scenery is actually really, really good in this one.. I can't wait to get to the ending tomorrow morning.

Ano natsu was good , but i prefer "Onegai teacher".

Better milf, better troll, better comedy.

But ano natsu was good. At least "that" gif was created because of it.

Mr.Jeff

So I finished Ojamajo Doremi and while it was indeed a (mostly) thoroughly enjoyable kids show I want to note down some rambles I had about it. For most people, just ignore this wall of pointless, badly written text.

I thought I had a tonne of things to bring up but really it falls into two categories.

Character development
Or rather the lack of it. This statement is perhaps unfair since a good number of episodes revolve around the ojamajos getting involved with classmates and solving their personal crisis' in various ways or getting involved in general magical hijinks but overall for individual character development, the only one who progresses in any way is Doremi herself. A great majority of each episode has the group as a whole grow since the majority of the series beyond the level 9 exam has them using their magic together.

Hadzuki has 3 episodes I can think of which revolve around her in any sort of meaningful way, one of which is her introduction episode. Aiko has 4. Aiko's is in fact worse because the central drama around one of her episodes is immediately dispelled with 5 seconds of talking to somebody else in another episode!

Pop is even more bizarre. Despite being a foil for Doremi in the first quarter or so of the series, by the time she is made into an apprentice her interactions basically come to a grinding halt after one token episode where she is taught the consequences of using magic without thought. She still makes the occasional quip and even has some token inclusions in much later episodes but her role essentially involves being the person who mans the store while Doremi and such go and have adventures.

Finally there is Onpu. Billed a the apprentice rival to the ojamajos there is literally nothing to her until the climax of the show. No apparent motivation. No indication of her emotional state. Nothing. And yet somehow despite the complete wall of nothingness from her, the rest of the cast continue to act as if she is a meaningful character in some despite minimal interaction. By the time her backstory comes to pass, it is too late. It spills out in a rush and feels entirely forced.

Magic
I've moaned about the magic system before and it's lack of definable logic and I'll moan about it again. The fundamentals of magic based in the series essentially revolving around wishing and having enough magic to get it done. The problem with this is is vague. There is no worthwhile measure to compare magic being cast and why some magic requires more effort than others beyond the obvious plot reasons.

Beyond that we have the magic certification system. Doremi and co must climb levels to change from apprentices to full fledged witches. However with each jump, we are assured that they become more powerful. In reality we only see four consequences of their advancements: i) they gain fairies, ii) they gain the use of magical stage iii)they can talk to plants iv) their porons are upgraded with their precious mementos.
However as I whinged about before, as their is seemingly no comparison to make between their wishes, it is difficult to ascertain their growth. Each group spell cast seems no different from ones previous.

When Onpu is introduced as the superior rival, we are told this. Which is even more baffling because the exams are all practical tests and are also apparently unique each team. How do you score a perfect result on a test which is a Pass or Fail exam?

My last complaint is a more specific one: Episode 41 was a wasted opportunity. Granted this is a show based around magic but this was an almost perfect episode where Doremi solves someone's problem without the use of magic in any way.....up until they decide to shoehorn in the plot device of the cursed item.

This is all just pickiness for the sake of pickiness I guess. Carry on with your scheduled waifu talk.

Puruzi

Banned
So I finished Ojamajo Doremi and while it was indeed a (mostly) thoroughly enjoyable kids show I want to note down some rambles I had about it. For most people, just ignore this wall of pointless, badly written text.

I thought I had a tonne of things to bring up but really it falls into two categories.

Character development
Or rather the lack of it. This statement is perhaps unfair since a good number of episodes revolve around the ojamajos getting involved with classmates and solving their personal crisis' in various ways or getting involved in general magical hijinks but overall for individual character development, the only one who progresses in any way is Doremi herself. A great majority of each episode has the group as a whole grow since the majority of the series beyond the level 9 exam has them using their magic together.

Hadzuki has 3 episodes I can think of which revolve around her in any sort of meaningful way, one of which is her introduction episode. Aiko has 4. Aiko's is in fact worse because the central drama around one of her episodes is immediately dispelled with 5 seconds of talking to somebody else in another episode!

Pop is even more bizarre. Despite being a foil for Doremi in the first quarter or so of the series, by the time she is made into an apprentice her interactions basically come to a grinding halt after one token episode where she is taught the consequences of using magic without thought. She still makes the occasional quip and even has some token inclusions in much later episodes but her role essentially involves being the person who mans the store while Doremi and such go and have adventures.

Finally there is Onpu. Billed a the apprentice rival to the ojamajos there is literally nothing to her until the climax of the show. No apparent motivation. No indication of her emotional state. Nothing. And yet somehow despite the complete wall of nothingness from her, the rest of the cast continue to act as if she is a meaningful character in some despite minimal interaction. By the time her backstory comes to pass, it is too late. It spills out in a rush and feels entirely forced.

Magic
I've moaned about the magic system before and it's lack of definable logic and I'll moan about it again. The fundamentals of magic based in the series essentially revolving around wishing and having enough magic to get it done. The problem with this is is vague. There is no worthwhile measure to compare magic being cast and why some magic requires more effort than others beyond the obvious plot reasons.

Beyond that we have the magic certification system. Doremi and co must climb levels to change from apprentices to full fledged witches. However with each jump, we are assured that they become more powerful. In reality we only see four consequences of their advancements: i) they gain fairies, ii) they gain the use of magical stage iii)they can talk to plants iv) their porons are upgraded with their precious mementos.
However as I whinged about before, as their is seemingly no comparison to make between their wishes, it is difficult to ascertain their growth. Each group spell cast seems no different from ones previous.

When Onpu is introduced as the superior rival, we are told this. Which is even more baffling because the exams are all practical tests and are also apparently unique each team. How do you score a perfect result on a test which is a Pass or Fail exam?

My last complaint is a more specific one: Episode 41 was a wasted opportunity. Granted this is a show based around magic but this was an almost perfect episode where Doremi solves someone's problem without the use of magic in any way.....up until they decide to shoehorn in the plot device of the cursed item.

This is all just pickiness for the sake of pickiness I guess. Carry on with your scheduled waifu talk.
Next season is much better and the season after that is better too

Jex

I mean, I could point out how little character development you get in an episodic magical-girl show (e.g. none) but I feel it's easy to just tell you to push onto the next season.

Cornbread78

Ano natsu was good , but i prefer "Onegai teacher".

Better milf, better troll, better comedy.

But ano natsu was good. At least "that" gif was created because of it.

"That gif" you mean the one above, or is there a more notorious one out there?

There was actually a kissing scene one on Tumblr, but it's kind of a spoiler, however, it had a great background to it..

Mr.Jeff

I mean, I could point out how little character development you get in an episodic magical-girl show (e.g. none) but I feel it's easy to just tell you to push onto the next season.
Well for actual development you're probably right. I unfairly equate development with plotlines for individual characters. Most of the time in the series it's the girls solving a thing and ostensibly learning a life lesson.

Need a small break before the next season though. Just plowed through 40 episodes in 4 days.

phaze

From the New World 16

Impressive hmmmm impressions ! I remember Maria's heartbreaking letter having quite an effect on me. Hana Kazawa put quite a shift there. Episode 16 was certainly one of highlights of the show for me but arcwise, I think the next one is the best one.

Ojamajo Doremi gets better and better as the seasons go.

Kyousougiga 10 Finale

So this is the type of good quality anime you get when Toei seems to actually care. Anyways what a wonderful ride this was from beginning to end. The way this show contained historical context, artistic visuals, great OST, family bonding, and conflicting issues of moral dilemma all in one package was magnificent. The visual direction impressed me considering the show didn't seem to have a high budget, but even then the show wasn't effected in the slightest. The way the show was directed and presented its visuals cleverly masked it and made the show look visually astounding. From certain scenes such as the scene between Koto's mom and dad or when Koto and Myoue first met their Grandpa all of which looked vibrant, artistic, and appealing. The diversity of the visual styles used really helped emphasize and convey different scenes and even elevate them. The transitions between scenes and camera shots which zoomed out or zoomed in at times helped really express and provide viewers a look into what these characters are feeling. The side shot used to show the whole family together was phenomenal because it expressed this undeniable love between them and the bonds they share together. Also forgot to mention how the OST really elevated some scenes especially the one where Myoue was running towards Koto, so amazing.

The story as a whole was excellent in my eyes because the theme of family bonds was connected together with each of the characters struggling moral dilemma. With Myoue wanting to die but at the same time figuring out his purpose in life. Yase struggling with her mother being absent and her close attachment to the fond memories she created with her mother. Kurama trying to understand what it feels like to be normal and wanting to see the outside world while trying to meet his mother. Koto looking towards the future without looking back, but at the same time is doubting herself because she lacks answers. Koto's mother wanting to live happily with her family but can't because of current predicaments. And finally Koto's father who at the same time loves his family, he doesn't understand how to love himself and uses his careless attitude in order mask that issue. All these situations go back to the underlying theme of family bonds and connect them as a whole towards the end where you see the whole family together happily in a group shot at the end. To me Kyousougiga accomplished what it set out to do and that's to show the viewers the significance of carrying family/sibling bonds.

Kyousougiga get's a 9/10 from me and is one of my top favorite anime due to its direction, artistic visuals, great OST, and family bonding with conflicting moral dilemmas. I appreciate the recommendation for this series because I would of probably not have experienced this gem. Now if only there was a BD release so I could buy it.&#128524;

phaze

Kyousougiga 10 Finale

So this is the type of good quality anime you get when Toei seems to actually care.

Kyousougiga get's a 9/10 from me and is one of my top favorite anime due to its direction, artistic visuals, great OST, and family bonding with conflicting moral dilemmas. I appreciate the recommendation for this series because I would of probably not have experienced this gem. Now if only there was a BD release so I could buy it.&#55357;&#56844;

Toei da gawds. Glad you liked it. KG probably has a spot in my Top 3. Now watch episode 0 if you haven't yet. And this PV too. I think a lot of footage from there didn't make it to either iteration of the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom