• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Blade

d4ac2922bb2540a09e8746361520b5c9.jpg

Just finish the entire show (not really long as it's just 6 episodes total) and trying to let it sink a bit in me here. Before I go to my impression of the OVA, I think it's best if we go into the original roots of where this show adapted from which is basically the manga. So, let's start this history bus of the manga which most of you don't remember or don't care as it's old (which is fine really).

(Side note: is been over 10 years since I read this manga, so, I will be a bit rough of my impression of the manga)
I''s is a Japanese Shounen manga series which is written and illustrated by Masakazu Katsura. If you don't know who this Japanese manga artist, he make some of the popular manga from mid 80s to early 2000s. I guess, the most popular manga he written are Video Girl Ai, DNA2, Zetman, and Shadow Lady. If you're wondering, he is still published manga even today (based on My Anime List, 13 manga as of now). I guess what catch my attention of his work is how he draw his character (mostly female) as it look a bit on the realistic side. You can notice from the picture below.
kisuki.net_artbooks_katsura-masakazu-illustrations-4c-l-side-lovers-side_8.jpg

zuroku03.jpg

2962d749c1d55c3fef293df5862a5f75.jpg

You can say, this is what start me to look into his work and the 1st work I read (with my friend request when I was in high school) is I''s.

So, back story of I''s. You follow the main character of the manga, Seto , who have a crush with a girl in his class name Iori. Unfortunately, he got reject by her when he was a young kid (the typical crush thing you say when you're a small kid but got reject by the opposite sex and get make fun off from your friend). Iori is becoming popular in the school she attend to because of her drama work and also her publish model book which show her in a swimsuit dress (think Jap idol magazine). For Seto, he is very shy to tell her his feeling after the incident and trying to make a plan where he can express his love to her. Unfortunately, something gets in the way for Seto to do this and I mean literally a lot along the 15 volumes from the manga (whether his long lost friend in the US, to misunderstanding incident which almost cost the relationship in few situation). Even with all this issue, both Seto and Iori start to become friend (which is crazy by Seto shy issue) and this friendship start to blossom into love along the manga, which will be challenge by different situation along the way to the point of the major climax at the end. Basically, that is a rough idea of the plotline from what I remember reading the manga over 10 years ago. Along the way, you meet new characters which help expand the storyline a bit here and there.

For character development, most of the development is coming from the main characters of the manga and the secondary characters (mostly Seto and Iori friends). All of them are develop well enough from what I remember to the point you like almost of them. They're some which feel like they're there to patted the manga a bit but even those are still fine on they own. The only issue I have is maybe direct to Seto and his way too indecisive when a situation come up. Literally, all the misunderstanding issue which Seto get himself into can really be clear up if both Seto and Iori can talk about the problems. Unfortunately, they don't and Seto friend have to clear it up when it come up.
Now, you have a rough idea of the manga, let's go into the OVA show. This OVA manage to tell the manga storyline of 15 volumes into the 6 episodes quite well by using flashback. How they do it setting up the current time frame of when Seto was going to express his love to Iroi on a Christmas eve party which happened later in the manga and using his time waiting for Iroi of going back of the past of what happened in the few years before than with her and him. To me, this might be the best way to adapted the main story in the shortest amount of time. Literally, all the major point of the story are going through the flash back which work well as it give the audience what have happened during Seto and Iroi time when they're in high school. Unfortunately, this cause another issue which is something you can't really solve with a limited of episodes. Quite a bit of stuff have to be cut just so the pacing of the story is smooth. Because of this issue, they is a limited of development with other character in the manga or remove them completely. This mean some of the support character who have some good character development in the manga are now become two dimensional character in the anime with limited emotional attachment. one good example is Izumi, the girl Seto meet up at the beach in the anime. In both anime and manga, she become a thorn for Seto as she isn't shy expressing her feeling toward him which cause quite a bit of issue as both her and Iori was staying in the same hotel and after an incident, almost destroy any chance with Seto with Iroi. At the end, Izumi realize the situation and help Seto to fix the friendship/relationship of Iroi while at the same time Seto help her to amend her boyfriend issue. What people who watch the anime didn't know, she did have a bigger and important part in the manga which isn't shown because of time constraint which is interesting to read and follow. This is one example but they're quite few more where character in the manga have been removed in the anime to smooth the pacing of the show which is something you have to accept. If they did this OVA as a TV show, then quite a bit of missing part from the manga can be explored. Still, I do think they did a good job to bring out the major part of the story to the audience which is better than nothing.

For the music side in this OVA, it is okay but nothing really pop out when I listen to it. It did fine to set up the mood or tone of the scene even though they're few I do think can be improve with better music instrumental to make the scene even more powerful. Most of the time, it's barely noticeable to make any difference. Nothing crazy but workable when needed. A minor note, they is one song in the OVA which they use for the those emotional scene but alter a bit so it have 3 version of the same song (all been use in the OVA). That might be the best song in the whole soundtrack (even better than the opening theme song). For the people who want to hear it, here is the link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE44sXxDr_M). It isn't amazing and for people who watch tons of romance anime, you might feel like the song sound generic romance music, but it's still a nice song to hear (even more for the other version as it sound better with the piano).

For animation, the quality of it is fine for what I see. Most of the detail is put on the environments on the background and the character movement which is good. Also, because this is ecchi romance, most of the detail on the character is put on the female side which you notice quite well. As for the male, not much really. Still, it look fine and didn't really have any complaint about it.

Overall, I think this OVA of I''s is okay. I know you can't really put all the stuff in the manga in this 6 episodes but from I see, they manage to bring out the major important part of the manga in here which is good. For me, if anyone who never read the manga but want to know what is the story about I''s, this OVA will give you a good idea of the story but I would recommend to read the manga 1st as a lot of stuff like major developments and some of the important characters were left out in the anime and the best way to experience the story is to read the manga.

Here are some picture from the show to see.
is05-01.jpg

is02-01.jpg
is01-02.jpg

Porque Hestia és bestia.
Sigh , should i start speaking in other languages too ? I have some pretty obscure ones in my bag :p

Now I am curious because I have never heard a Japanese trying to speak Spanish.
True. but i've heard enough french spoken by japanese for a lifetime ( hint : it's not very good )

Etotama 10
I SWEAR TO FUCKING GOD IF
MO-TAN REALLY IS DEAD
I AM GOING TO SPAZ THE FUCK OUT

Let us pray , bro...
Let us just hope that she is just back to a regular eto-musume now.

Paltheos

I actually think Clannad does an even better job at it because everythign from the EP to moments within S1 really come back to shine in the After Story. I was floored by how everything played out in the end and how the directer crafted those moments and filled them with emotions.

I mean little details like
the name Ushio and that whole scene with Nagisa and Tomoya on the beach. They even give the definition right there, but it is so ingrained in the larger vision for the series from the first season and all teh way through the after story that it hits you. Then you have all the little details with Akio and Sanae that come back during the play scene when Akio speaks out to Nagisa. Then you have the damn play itself, that finally reveals itself at the end
There is a bunch more carry-overs from Season 1 to the after story but those are jsut the quickest references I could remember. Little details with big impact.

I didn't have that reaction at all. Kanon sold me on that lead and undercurrent. I've got issues with it for sure, but the show kept me engrossed. Clannad didn't hook me. I didn't like the main character. I didn't like its comedy, I didn't think it had any real context. I actively hated some of the characters and story arcs though (Fuuko and her arc are the dumbest thing I swear to god, and I could not relate to Nagisa as a human being - just as examples). The actual main story felt like a distant thing, disjointed and rarely touched upon. Sure in Kanon the characters arcs ended abruptly, but the main story was always there in the background. Good or bad, it kept me hooked.

There are some parts of Clannad I liked though. I was hating on some of them, but I did like some of the characters. They were just seldomly put into situations to make me care. The best episode of Clannad, hands down imo, is the Tomoyo OVA at the end of the first season. It's as if it was made by an entirely different staff, and it's the only part of that whole show to illicit any kind of emotional reaction out of me. I really like the ending in particular. It's so raw, and the imagery is great.

I have to add this though: I didn't finish After Story. These reactions are based off the first season, the two OVAs, and the first 10 or so episodes of After Story. I kept hearing about great AS is, and how I have to check it out, but so much of the beginning of this show is the characters just putzing around, made all the worse by the show not even pretending to be going anywhere. I heard the payoff is further down the line, but it was around at this point that I asked myself, "Seriously, how could the show make me care at all about Nagisa at this point? What could it do?" I had no faith.

Cornbread78

Whenever you ask I never know which to suggest, however seeing how you are watching every single thing I've already watched there are plenty of shows out there that I probably enjoyed but can't remember lol. Keep watching stuff, and if anything I'll tell you if I watched it and liked it or not :p this one was great, like I said very cute from start to finish.

I added some to my queue the other night and have been watching them randomly the past couple days. Tomorrow I have to choose between:

Chu-Bra
Blue Spring Ride
Dragon Crisis
We, Without Wings
A Bridge to the Starry Skies

Hmm...

John Blade

I would like to know what you say in Spanish in English. Still....just notice the Spanish sub for the show. I start to notice that the Spanish dub of Japanese anime opening sound actually not bad. Would like to give credit for some interesting intro music in Spanish.

Sigh , should i start speaking in other languages too ? I have some pretty obscure ones in my bag :p
Portuguese is my mother language, but I am part Spanish which means I know Castellano. I lived in the north of Portugal, right next to Spain in an area that spoke Gallego so I know that too. I then moved to Canada, and have been speaking English ever since. I am fluent in all of those, anything else will just go over my head.

Oh I understand Italian too. You can add that to your list :p

John Blade

Portuguese is my mother language, but I am part Spanish which means I know Castellano. I lived in the north of Portugal, right next to Spain in an area that spoke Gallego so I know that too. I then moved to Canada, and have been speaking English ever since. I am fluent in all of those, anything else will just go over my head.

Ahh....a Canadian eh?

Ahh....a Canadian eh?
Yes, and I have picked up the bad habit of saying that too. I have a torontonian accent, through and through. Saying things like "Torono" instead of "Toronto". Funny how languages work eh
lol
, I bet my English would be much different if I lived somewhere else.

Cornbread78

I didn't have that reaction at all. Kanon sold me on that lead and undercurrent. I've got issues with it for sure, but the show kept me engrossed. Clannad didn't hook me. I didn't like the main character. I didn't like its comedy, I didn't think it had any real context. I actively hated some of the characters and story arcs though (Fuuko and her arc are the dumbest thing I swear to god, and I could not relate to Nagisa as a human being - just as examples). The actual main story felt like a distant thing, disjointed and rarely touched upon. Sure in Kanon the characters arcs ended abruptly, but the main story was always there in the background. Good or bad, it kept me hooked.

There are some parts of Clannad I liked though. I was hating on some of them, but I did like some of the characters. They were just seldomly put into situations to make me care. The best episode of Clannad, hands down imo, is the Tomoyo OVA at the end of the first season. It's as if it was made by an entirely different staff, and it's the only part of that whole show to illicit any kind of emotional reaction out of me. I really like the ending in particular. It's so raw, and the imagery is great.

I have to add this though: I didn't finish After Story. These reactions are based off the first season, the two OVAs, and the first 10 or so episodes of After Story. I kept hearing about great AS is, and how I have to check it out, but so much of the beginning of this show is the characters just putzing around, made all the worse by the show not even pretending to be going anywhere. I heard the payoff is further down the line, but it was around at this point that I asked myself, "Seriously, how could the show make me care at all about Nagisa at this point? What could it do?" I had no faith.

All I can say is at some point, you HAVE to watch the After Story, without question. The way the story was crafted for this was amazing. Season1 is just background and set-up for the events of the After Story.

Man, I can guarantee that you would change your perspective on everything once you watched it. WA ch the first arc, the marathon ep. 15-END. Seriously, you have to watch this, just be prepared...

There is a reason why the After Story is ranked on many boards as one of the best ever for its kind. Amazing, unbelievable and emotional as hell... DO IT!

Midonin

It's not ecchi, it's educational. You might learn a thing or two about what girls go through. It's also cute and features some good friendships.

Blue Spring Ride
Romance with a flair for drama. (I don't mean this as a bad thing.) I'm partial to it because it has my favorite voice actress as the lead.

Dragon Crisis
Based on a light novel, starring Rie Kugimiya (Taiga from Toradora) as a dragon girl. Average but fun.

We, Without Wings
A Bridge to the Starry Skies

These two are based on a visual novel. The first is heavily condensed, but the twist it pulls off with its three protagonists makes it worth watching. It has some good themes once you figure out what's going on. The second is a more traditional romance, but the one thing everybody remembers about it is the main character's little brother.

John Blade

Yes, and I have picked up the bad habit of saying that too. I have a torontonian accent, through and through. Saying things like "Torono" instead of "Toronto". Funny how languages work eh
lol
, I bet my English would be much different if I lived somewhere else.

Well...depend where you live in Canada that could be true as I use to live in Alberta and Saskatchewan and now in Ontario in a town 40 minutes from Toronto call Mississauga. Those habit will pick up a bit but for me, living here I can't take away my ascent which people find interesting because how long I live here.

Arcadius

Banned
Sabagebu!

Wooooooooo! Sabagebu! or Survival Game Club is absolutely fantastic. Pure comedy gold I tell ya. A great cast of characters with a plot about absolutely nothing! Slice of life with super cuties and guns!
BB guns that act like real guns because of the power of imagination, how cool is that!!!!!!!!!!!

Following the super cuties Momoka Sonokawa, Miou Ootori, Maya Kyoudou, Urara Kasugano and Kayo Goutokuji. All of them are extra cute and pretty, the inclusion of guns works surprisingly well in Sabagebu. Favorite is definitely Momoka with Urara and their reactions to one another, the masochist and sadist angle is so funny!

A lot of great little stories per episode, I feel a little guilty not doing this anime in an episode by episode type of review, since there is so much to talk about. Some episodes were really crazy, especially the pantsu episodes later on; it came out of no where but the fan service was amazing, totally not necessary, but most definitely amazing.

The action scenes in Sabagebu! are incredible too. The "imaginations" the girls have is pretty spectacular and the animation with nice colors really lends itself a huge 5/5, 100/100, big thumbs up from me. I loved the little animation scenes of the girls getting into pose before a battle, it was like watching a magical girl henshin, but not a henshin, more like a total bad ass let's fight transformation! A whole lot of good comes from watching the battles and just the general aesthetic that Sabagebu! has, for sure.

Music, OP and ED's! All top notch stuff, especially the audio. Sure the guns don't sound like it's from Battlefield or anything, but it's explosive, strong and sounds soooo gooood~~~. OP and ED's are great fun to listen to and the music, when it's used throughout the anime, is fantastic too, especially the last episode, most definitely the last episode!!!!

Biggest surprise is Momoka's mom, I should have seen it coming, but I didn't, so it was fun seeing her get involved multiple times.

I'm probably going to have to watch this one again, just because there is so much content available to remember, it's really freaking good.

Sabagebu! gets a 10/10 from me! Most definitely recommended if you're looking for a super funny slice of life involving girls and guns!! Also, outrageous scenes too!

Oh I understand Italian too. You can add that to your list :p

Code:
Php, C, Javascript,pascal,python, batch, basic, object-script,
wait , we weren't talking about those :p

If Hestia == true then Hestia = Bestia

Well...depend where you live in Canada that could be true as I use to live in Alberta and Saskatchewan and now in Ontario in a town 40 minutes from Toronto call Mississauga. Those habit will pick up a bit but for me, living here I can't take away my ascent which people find interesting because how long I live here.
Oh you are from Sauga? Well fuck, we are neighbours. Kinda ahaha!

Code:
Php, C, Javascript,pascal,python, batch, basic, object-script,
wait , we weren't talking about those :p

If Hestia == true then Hestia = Bestia
It's a basic programming statement. You learn this before "Hello world".

Also to that list, all I got to say is that I'm more of a Java, SQL kind of guy :p

Code:
var hestia = danMachi.getGoddessByTagName('loli-big-titties');

if (hestia === "bestia") {
  hestia = "worstia";
  } else {
  hestia = "worstia";
}

I got nothin

ibyea

Banned
I would like to know what you say in Spanish in English. Still....just notice the Spanish sub for the show. I start to notice that the Spanish dub of Japanese anime opening sound actually not bad. Would like to give credit for some interesting intro music in Spanish.

Spanish dub is excellent in many shows. It's my favorite dub for Dragon Ball Z for instance.

Code:

hestia = "worstia";
  } else {
  hestia = "worstia";
}

I got nothin

So much wrong in that statement , lol ...
Waste of cycles , the check with 3 "=", "worstia".

Wanna work for Other Ocean Interractive ? they need talent like you

Sabagebu! S2 when

11eyes END It got dumb and meh, but still decent.

I thought it was terrible and everyone sucked too.

They haven't been bad other than the annoying friend of the girl the MC knew in middle school. Panty girl is one of the best..

Hate might be a strong word but I definitely didn't feel positively towards it by the time it finished. Its been a long time since I saw it, might do a hate-watch haha.

hey , i'm joking ...it's a joke ... not meant to be taken seriously.
Oh I'm very serious. I learned the way of the bestia before anything else in school.

Code:

hestia = "worstia";
  } else {
  hestia = "worstia";
}

I got nothin
Not like this effingvic. Your code is not following industry standards. I cannot accept this. You must also change your hestia variable, or be doomed with compilation errors.

So much wrong in that statement , lol ...
Waste of cycles , the check with 3 "=", "worstia".

Wanna work for Other Ocean Interractive ? they need talent like you

hestia always evaluates to "worstia" regardless of control path, D- for wasted cycles.

Not like this effingvic. Your code is not following industry standards. I cannot accept this. You must also change your hestia variable, or be doomed with compilation errors.

Leave me alone its disgustingly humid in NYC :p

Nanoha vivid - 09
Mahou%20Shoujo%20Lyrical%20Nanoha%20Vivid%20-%2009.jpg

where's the candy , hayate ? you're slacking off !!
hayate recruiting young girls on the street to join her dojo and make her part of her familly ...
Gosh , if this show was still set on earth , hayate would be in jail already... thankfully here she got the commander military immunity , lol

Well those 2 matches were cool , the first was intense and a good showcase of the new rules..

The second was more straightforward ( with added flashback , lol ) , i guess that's what happens when you have 2 big damage dealers fighting lol . It also proves that cutting a Bus in the air , is easier than deflect a flying sword kick ... lesson learned , lol .

Cornbread78

It's not ecchi, it's educational. You might learn a thing or two about what girls go through. It's also cute and features some good friendships.

Romance with a flair for drama. (I don't mean this as a bad thing.) I'm partial to it because it has my favorite voice actress as the lead.

Based on a light novel, starring Rie Kugimiya (Taiga from Toradora) as a dragon girl. Average but fun.

These two are based on a visual novel. The first is heavily condensed, but the twist it pulls off with its three protagonists makes it worth watching. It has some good themes once you figure out what's going on. The second is a more traditional romance, but the one thing everybody remembers about it is the main character's little brother.

Damn, it's gonna be a toss up then, lol.

Etotama Ep.10
Ok, what the actual fuck just happened? I should never feel like this when watching this show! I mean, they even had a tribute at the end, it sounds like it's perma & that look on Nya-tan's face. I was impressed with the visuals during that battle, but, but, but...
no Moo-tan, don't go, wtf, wtf, wtf

Fuck that rat, seriously. Someone needs to trap, poison then burn that rodent dead. Uggh, I want my fun back!

cajunator

Banned
I just saw Pupa... WTF was that?

No, I'm not scandalized by the acts, but story itself made non sense and never went anywhere. Nothing got resolved. Actually, did this series had any structured act at all?

pupa was a failure. The format killed it dead from the start. Watch Paradise instead.

I've yet to see a side tail in real life I think I'm missing out on a critical experience.

my coworker had a sidetail. It looks alright irl.

sick.gif

Pretty awful.

Oh right, so, Interstellar is the best film adaptation of a JRPG story I've ever seen. It has all the mainstays like pretty protagonists (Matt <3), campy dialogue, deux ex machina, quest to save the world, plot tweests, power of love, and the inevitable sequel bait/"the adventure continues".

7/10.

Really great movie. Way better than Gravity for sure.

Nanoha Vivid - 10

Ah new characters , you are so good.

Mahou%20Shoujo%20Lyrical%20Nanoha%20Vivid%20-%2010.jpg

let's go !

>Despite some rough edges , Vivid tournament arc is strong and well done. Hopefully the blu-ray will correct the samll mistakes , because so far they are really taking the right clues from the manga to adapt this show and that pleases me greatly.

Chantez is excellent , but this time , well no , victoria is just superior, better gear and better specs... but chantez is really cool. I really like the idea that victoria couldn't figure with body was the real and witch one was the fake
because both were fakes
, now that's planning. Too bad victoria cheat code is that much of a cheat code :)

Mahou%20Shoujo%20Lyrical%20Nanoha%20Vivid%20-%2010_02.jpg

now that's how a finisher should look like

Here we go next episode , i need to watch the next ..argh ...next week it is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom