• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

I'm pretty sure Cornbread has watched more anime in the past few months than I have in the past 2-3 years at this point.
image.php

Cornbread78

Yes, we are. Or some time later. I guess you'd call it an epilogue.

Sadly the OVA does not follow on from the epilogue.

Yeah ..oh yeah ./...
It's implied that she came back the next summer

It's the "Taiga effect" now.. uggh. Still meh, lol.

Also, I'm trying to figure out how my phone changed "however" to "duty?" Auto-correct is an amazing thing..

I'm pretty sure Cornbread has watched more anime in the past few months than I have in the past 2-3 years at this point.

Lol, well I'm starting from 0, so I have many years to catch up on.

Unfortunately, with that I think I'very burned through most of the A tier material and now onto the B tier stuff, lol

Oh nice, Shokugeki no Soma today.

To think that I actually warmed up to the voice actor of Soma, considering my despise for Kirito which included the utterly mundane voice acting there. He's a pretty good fit here though, and this show doesn't attempt to hide this portrayal of a pure power fantasy so I'm not bothered by the character. The ending of last episode was also just very well done. That calm but assertive "Shokugeki" - \o/

duckroll

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - Odyssey of the Celestial Ark

This wasn't what I expected at all. Based on the trailers and the fact that it's a theatrical feature following up on the series, I expected some sort of epic Gatlantis war story. It was so not that. What it is instead is an interesting but somewhat episodic scifi adventure which takes place at some point just before the final two episodes of the TV series, which serves to expand on some ideas touched on in the series as well as the general setting of the universe. It's not particularly epic in scope, but it is well made, the story is interesting, and the implications of the expanded setting does imply that there is interest in doing more Yamato beyond this, which is great news.

I wasn't blown away by the film, but like the series, it served to remind me that we rare get good space scifi these days, in anime or otherwise. As far as a space adventure story goes, this was more enjoyable than the last half bunch of Star Trek movies.

tl;dr - I was expecting a movie version of ep19-20, but I got a movie version of ep9,14,16 instead. Fun times were had.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm here to apologize to everyone for ever doubting your wisdom. I honestly never thought any sports show would make me feel something other than the Friday Night Lights TV show but man was I wrong. The best thing I can say about Ping Pong is that it has pure unadulterated love for the sport which is thrown to us and willing to embrace anyone. The animation is a reminder of this as it relies on fluid movement in order to convey a flurry of emotions that can't be matched with realistic animation. This allows the crayon-styled art to display the fast speed and power that a ping pong match delivers. With 11 episodes Ping Pong tells many personal stories that revolve around ping pong. It's a show that goes beyond the sport and shows the evolution of many characters that try to find enlightenment through a game of ping pong. Each story is different yet told brilliantly. I especially love the tale of the wanderer who travelled across the world after having his spirit crushed by Smile to only come back in the end and realize that he still loves ping pong. Even if you aren't good at what you want to do you can still find beauty in it by watching. It's a powerful message that is only the tip of the iceberg when compared to all of the characters in this story. I won't go to in depth into it as this show has been praised by people with a better way with words than me. I'll just say that I'm starting to believe in heroes once again thanks to this show. 5/5
This is probably the closest an anime has come to being as good as FNL in terms of using sport as a way to develop characters.

This wasn't what I expected at all. Based on the trailers and the fact that it's a theatrical feature following up on the series, I expected some sort of epic Gatlantis war story. It was so not that. What it is instead is an interesting but somewhat episodic scifi adventure which takes place at some point just before the final two episodes of the TV series, which serves to expand on some ideas touched on in the series as well as the general setting of the universe. It's not particularly epic in scope, but it is well made, the story is interesting, and the implications of the expanded setting does imply that there is interest in doing more Yamato beyond this, which is great news.

I wasn't blown away by the film, but like the series, it served to remind me that we rare get good space scifi these days, in anime or otherwise. As far as a space adventure story goes, this was more enjoyable than the last half bunch of Star Trek movies.

tl;dr - I was expecting a movie version of ep19-20, but I got a movie version of ep9,14,16 instead. Fun times were had.
I think the important question that needs to be answered is - how much screen time does Melda get?

Nope with the next 2 episodes we have pretty much exhausted all of it. You better believe you will be waiting for 2-3 years like I said.
They should just end the anime with the canon ending, where Batman marries Sensei and they have a happy life together.

I haven't posted in this thread in a while, mostly because I haven't really watched anything of note recently. But I did just finish up Mongolian Chop Squad and found it to be a pretty enjoyable show. It really did have such a fantastic amount bad English that I really enjoyed. I think they probably could have done less with the Saito stuff, I don't think his presence as a character really was all that important. They could have used that time to go deeper with the Koyuki/Maho stuff or fleshed out Ryusuke's background more.

By chance has anyone seen the live-action film they made? Wonder if that'd be worth checking out.

Deadly

Madoka Magica
So I finally got to watching this. Wow, I have read the reactions from here before and going in I knew it wasn't going to be as expected but I didn't think they'd push it that far. Can anyone explain to me
in the new timeline what happened to Sayaka? She used all her powers and died? How, what, why?

Also poor Homura :( and fuck Kyubei

I'm about to watch the Rebellion movie. I've seen that it isn't exactly as...favorable to some. Is it a sequel or an alternate timeline type of story?

Madoka Magica
So I finally got to watching this. Wow, I have read the reactions from here before and going in I knew it wasn't going to be as expected but I didn't think they'd push it that far. Can anyone explain to me
in the new timeline what happened to Sayaka? She used all her powers and died? How, what, why?

Also poor Homura :( and fuck Kyubei

I'm about to watch the Rebellion movie. I've seen that it isn't exactly as...favorable to some. Is it a sequel or an alternate timeline type of story?

Rebellion goes beyond the series. I think my issue with Rebellion is that it takes the crazy, insane plot of the last few episodes of the series and just ratchets it up to 11. Decent, but really hard to follow.

Madoka Magica

Some people dislike it since it prolongs a story that already has a pretty solid ending. I still enjoyed the movie but I can see why others wouldn't like Rebellion's conclusion

Just don't pretend that Homura accepted anything at the end of the TV series, the hints are more than obvious and nothing will shock you in Rebellion.

fertygo

After finishing my run of Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's (which had very strong closing arc after middling middle part, and had satisfying ending too)

I goes straight to ARC-V, after slow opening.. at eps 32, show finally turning tide and show had very awesome momentum right now with massive set-up, and I'm currently at eps 41 and very hyped with how current arc rolling.man I overlooked this franchise so long altho maybe its fortunate for me because I'm not tuning in with ZEXAL instead lol as everyone said to avoid it.

Cornbread78

C'mon Corny, you are not allowed to say that before you watch Fate/Zero.

- I watched 3/4 of the first episode (movie length) but haven;t gone back yet. I'll watch it eventually..... I'm just salling before I start another really long journey.

Try some other genres? ;P

LOL, Mike understood what I meant, lol.

A Bridge to the Starry Skies ep. 1-6
tumblr_mps420W7zx1rkygo4o1_400.gif

This one is pretty cute so far. The MC has a pretty big harem already but it's not treated as a "harem," and the girls aren't all miserable 24/7 so it's all good! Nothing special so far, just a typical slice of life anime, but the table has been set, so let's see where the 2nd hald goes... Well, despite the fact the main heroine has a brother complex with the MC... This is going to be bad..

EDIT: I tried so harcd to find a gif of Ayumu and his cheerleading outfit, but it doesn't exist!

I don't know if it's possible for them to adapt the last 2 remaining novels of SNAFU in another cour because 2 vols worth wouldn't be enough. So either they will adapt the remaining Vols through OVAs or just move on.

The novels are being actively translated and are close to finishing. Might as well start reading them once the second season is over if you're such a big fan.
That's what I will be doing. Are these official products that I can buy, or fan translations? I wouldn't mind buying all the volumes for collection

Link Man

Banned
Kanon 20

Why do I get the feeling that they're making excuses to keep Ayu out of the kitchen?

And Yuichi's progress has unlocked the Ayu bath scene. lewd.

Now a grammar lesson. Compelling relationship stuff.

Yeah, Ayu's "school" doesn't sound like any Japanese school I've ever heard of. Wonder what's going on there.

Don't tell me that Ayu fell from the tree.

Kind of funny for Yuichi to say, "It doesn't matter. It's all in the past.", when his past has recently had a way of catching up with him.

:O

Cornbread78

Kanon 20

Why do I get the feeling that they're making excuses to keep Ayu out of the kitchen?

And Yuichi's progress has unlocked the Ayu bath scene. lewd.

Now a grammar lesson. Compelling relationship stuff.

Yeah, Ayu's "school" doesn't sound like any Japanese school I've ever heard of. Wonder what's going on there.

Don't tell me that Ayu fell from the tree.

Kind of funny for Yuichi to say, "It doesn't matter. It's all in the past.", when his past has recently had a way of catching up with him.

:O

You are entering mindfu(k zone; stay strong brotha. Just watch the last couple episodes now, so you completely understand...

Jex

See, I told you! I feel like the marketing and a lot of the pre-release stuff was surprisingly deceptive in terms of the expectations it generated in me.

Personally, I prefer with what they actually went with. If they had tried to go for more epic action it would feel really weird to squeeze in yet another giant space battle between the last few episodes of the series. I feel like expanding the universe in the way they did was far more interesting.

Deadly

Madoka Magica Rebellion
Holy shit Homura what?!?! I don't know how I feel about this...There's going to be more right? THERE HAS TO BE MOREEEEEEE

kewlmyc

That's what I will be doing. Are these official products that I can buy, or fan translations? I wouldn't mind buying all the volumes for collection

Fan translations only right now. I would be there day one for official translations. According to the LN GAF thread, if they got brought over it would have to be by Viz or something due to contracts.

Jex

I'm glad that they never made any Madoka movies because that might damage my memory of the series.

Thank god.

phaze

I'm glad that they never made any Madoka movies because that might damage my memory of the series.

Thank god.

Denial won't make it go away !

Perfect place to end your Shinbo/Shaft journey.

(Really the movie is pretty and worth watching for visuals alone.)

Jojo's Bizzare Adventure Stardust Crusaders 47
I like how Jotaro was talking to himself, checking out
his book armor beneath his shirt,
despite the fact that Dio was like 10 meters from him. (But of course he didn't see that and thought him dead/close to dying.)

Generally, though the execution was good, I feel this episode was an asspull galore. Araki made an overpowered villain and to have him defeated he has to resort to contrived writing. In the process giving
out power ups for Jotaro and reducing Dio to an idiot
. Not that the latter ever had much brains.

At least it seems
Joseph is still alive. Maybe to deliver a few final farewell sappy lines but I'll take what I can get.

The additions to the opening were pretty great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom