• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

I signed up too, i only have a Mustang Alpha though.

We don't have many people's data in the roster right now to go by, but I fully expect that a large percentage (if not an outright majority) of the Org will only have a starter ship. It's nothing to worry or feel ashamed about.

That said, take the time to enter yourself into the roster sheet. (Quote this post to see the link.) Ultimately we shouldn't need the spreadsheet, but for now it's the only way we'll get any feeling for the makeup of the Org.

Where the hell is the Star Citizen Gamescom thread. Microsoft has one. Metal Gear has one.

Biggest fricken game ever and all we have is AC thread?

Zalusithix

Where the hell is the Star Citizen Gamescom thread. Microsoft has one. Metal Gear has one.

It's more of an unofficial OT than an AC thread at this point. Amusingly enough, as far as modules go, there's more talk about Star Marine than AC these days.

That said, is it even really necessary to have a Gamescom thread so far in advance of the actual event? This thread works well enough for any pre-event stuff and keeps pretty much everything SC related packed into one place.

Zalusithix

I'm betting people spouting out this games a scam post within the first 10 responses

Given the higher end ship sales that'll happen again at Gamescom, that's probably not too far from the truth.

Edit: The prediction that is... (Realized after the fact that my comment could be interpreted as agreeing to the game being a scam.)

I'm betting people spouting out this games a scam post within the first 10 responses

"I just don't get why people are excited about this game, it doesn't look like..."

etc etc.
------------------------

Chris Roberts said yesterday on 104TC that they are working on DX12 integration right now. AWESOME.

edit:
So, the latest 10ftC confirmed it: DX12 support is in fact in the works right now.

hehe

Daedardus

I'm going to Gamescom the same day the event is, but I'm taking non-backers with me so I can't attend. Now I realised I'll be missing the stream too. :-(

Geist-

Another new pic from Sandi for Gamescom Demo:
6qvXX7Z.jpg

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

Better to wait until the day before or the first page would be filled with the usual background noise before the real news starts.

I'll make one on Thursday with some advance notice posted in here.

I'm going to Gamescom the same day the event is, but I'm taking non-backers with me so I can't attend. Now I realised I'll be missing the stream too. :-(
much sadness. I will crack a beer for you in your stead and pour it all over my titan X. "This one is for my citizens"
Retaliator flyable?
you betchya
But I was told Travis Day had left ...
CIG cloned him before he left.
Perhaps that is some of that cryengine magic?
Team CGI

Zalusithix

What? We already knew that there would be an official stick setup. It was obviously either going to be a Thrustmaster or Saitek unit. It's not like the game doesn't allow (mostly) full binding of controls, so you're always free to go with whatever you want. I still plan on creating a custom multi-axis throttle myself.

Geist-

What? We already knew that there would be an official stick setup. It was obviously either going to be a Thrustmaster or Saitek unit. It's not like the game doesn't allow (mostly) full binding of controls, so you're always free to go with whatever you want. I still plan on creating a custom multi-axis throttle myself.
CIG said they'd at least try to design a stick for 6DoF. Since there are no easy to use 6DoF sticks on the market, I was excited to see what turns up. This:

Ugh. So that means quality control will be shit and it'll be flimsy plastic. No thanks :/

is why I'm unsure how it will turn out.

Zalusithix

Guess we'll see what it turns out to be. Personally, I never really expected much - neither in capability, nor quality. The cost of a high quality input device would put it firmly out of the price range that many are comfortable in spending on a peripheral.

Daedardus

Well, that's really a hell of Title®.

Saitek has made the X52 and X55 which are at least somewhat respectable in build quality and quality control. Something like the Thrustmaster Warthog is at least €350. And Mad Catz has owned Saitek all this time along, too.

Zabojnik

An official HOTAS for the masses can only help with how well the game is played with one in the long term, so I'm all for it. Even if I don't end up buying it and go for something better.

CIG said they'd at least try to design a stick for 6DoF. Since there are no easy to use 6DoF sticks on the market, I was excited to see what turns up. This:

is why I'm unsure how it will turn out.

I really want them to make a dual stick setup. Personally I think it will be a re branded X-55

Ugh. So that means quality control will be shit and it'll be flimsy plastic. No thanks :/

Depends x-52 I had was pretty shit, ended up returning it. The x-55 I have is really great. and the feel is wonderful. Plastic isn't a problem if it is higher quality. Plus their software s top notch for the X-55.

An official HOTAS for the masses can only help with how well the game is played with one in the long term, so I'm all for it. Even if I don't end up buying it and go for something better.

First they have to make it worth playing with a joystick.

Daedardus

You guys are rich obviously. ;)

I'm going to have to make do for $50, which I'll happily do. Spending $1k for a system just to run Star Citizen (plus my $65 pledge) is all I can afford.

We were rich, before Star Citizen happened. Now we wasted all our money on graphic cards and digital ships.

What rig did you build? I had to spend a bit more than that to be able to run the game at a decent framerate, and now it seems its performance is dwindling already. I hope the devs keep optimisation in mind.

mnannola

You guys are rich obviously. ;)

I'm going to have to make do for $50, which I'll happily do. Spending $1k for a system just to run Star Citizen (plus my $65 pledge) is all I can afford.

I have this same HOTAS, and I think it's pretty great for the price. I wish it had more inputs, but I don't think anything comes close under $100 bucks.

Depending on how much I get into Star Citizen and Elite I may pony up a few hundred on something better, will be interesting to see where they price the Star Citizen HOTAS.

Zalusithix

Single player, m8. Single player.

Well, there's the S42 aspect, but there's also the PvE aspect that people keep forgetting will be a major component. When you're in a battle against the Vanduul, I don't think you're going to care that your wingmate is using a M&KB. PvP is but one aspect of a much larger game.

That said, they still have time to balance controls.

Geist-

That said, they still have time to balance controls.

They do, but you'd think that would be something they focus on during Beta, not Alpha. There are still a lot of systems to setup that will be affecting controls in the future, and the current controls are pretty solid besides the K&M advantage.

We were rich, before Star Citizen happened. Now we wasted all our money on graphic cards and digital ships.

What rig did you build? I had to spend a bit more than that to be able to run the game at a decent framerate, and now it seems its performance is dwindling already. I hope the devs keep optimisation in mind.

My rig after 10am this morning (when my gpu is delivered)

This is the order of purchase
H87I motherboard
Fractal Node 304 case
8GB Crucial DDR3 1600 stick (need to buy one stick)
120GB SSD
Cooler Master 650w power supply
Intel 4690k CPU
1TB Blue Western Digital
MSI GTX 970 4GB5 OC
Windows 7 Home Premium ($75..ebay)

That's $980. Oh, and I'm going to happily run the game at 900p, with 4xMFAA, 16xAF

Once the game is optimized I shouldn't have a problem running it at 50fps.

tuxfool

Banned
My rig after 10am this morning (when my gpu is delivered)

This is the order of purchase
H87I motherboard
Fractal Node 304 case
8GB Crucial DDR3 1600 stick (need to buy one stick)
120GB SSD
Cooler Master 650w power supply
Intel 4690k CPU
1TB Blue Western Digital
MSI GTX 970 4GB5 OC
Windows 7 Home Premium ($75..ebay)

That's $980. Oh, and I'm going to happily run the game at 900p, with 4xMFAA, 16xAF

Once the game is optimized I shouldn't have a problem running it at 50fps.

Not that your build is terrible, but why did you buy an overclocking processor but not an overclocking motheboard?

Been thinking about getting this. Anyone use one? Limitations? Eanough buttos, etc?

A couple friends have this. The only real drawback is buttons. That and there isn't a hat button on the throttle which is easier for 6DOF. You'll just use one of the hats on the joystick. Still very capable.

Shy

Ya, they've owned them for a while. Coincidentally, the buy-out also happened around the same time as the dive in the consistency of their quality.
Glad to hear that, i was worried that they were going to put out a cheap flight stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom