• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

I just did some data validation on the Org spreadsheet. Ship names will all be uniform now, and all time zones are calculated via UTC offsets. This gives better sorting and calculation abilities down the road. I implemented some basic ship stats on a separate page while I was at it (ship counts by model and manufacturer).

Edit: A couple of filter views added on the ship stats page for sorting by quantity without running the risk of breaking the calculations.

Aquila

Signup link for anyone not in the org yet:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/NEOGAF
(include your GAF name in the message)[/QUOTE]

I only have a lowly Aurora LX, but sent an app anyway. Unless there's a Hornet firesale, I'm probably staying with the basic starter ship. I'd love to throw fighters into pvp without worrying about insurance, but not at the $150+.

Revas

Signed up for the org. I only have an M50 at the moment; not sure if I plan on buying another one before the game launches. This is going to be awesome whenever it's released.

Zalusithix

I added a ship count by role section to the counts page. "Roles" are kind of vague and overlapping in SC, so it's non-exclusive where ships can be counted into multiple roles. Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but serves its purpose on giving a general idea of fleet capabilities. (Once, you know, more than a half dozen people are actually accounted for on the sheet.) The default filter has been removed from the count page as apparently it doesn't update with the data (hello Google?). Filter views continue to work fine.

Also added a tip to the ship selection validation message on how to remove a ship once it's been added.

I can't think of any other basic functionality that'd be of any use for the time being, so I'm probably finished hijacking the sheet. =P

masterkajo

Sent an Organisation request as well. I could contribute with my Cutlass Black. Will have to wait to play until I upgrade my PC though... Not working very well at the moment, unfortunately.

Shy

I'm loving all the new influx to our ORG. It's great.
Sent an Organisation request as well. I could contribute with my Cutlass Black. Will have to wait to play until I upgrade my PC though... Not working very well at the moment, unfortunately.
Accepted. welcome Citizen.

Shy

I feel home already...
JCOY4OW.gif

Zalusithix

With all the new members, I have to wonder which will come first:
  • Having the majority of GAF Org members fill in their details into the Org spreadsheet.
  • Turbulent getting the official Org management (Fleet View, etc) operational, rendering the spreadsheet mostly obsolete.
Member procrastination and disorganization vs the typical delay of SC features. Tough call. ;)

Not that it matters a whole lot right now, but I can't say that I'm not curious as to how the Org breaks down on a ship and timezone level. GAF certainly isn't a large Org, yet GAF's member pool is relatively global in nature. As such, we can't exactly count on having key roles available at all times. I'm not even sure if we'll have some roles available at all in the beginning. (Salvage, mining, and civilian transport come to mind.) What the Org will be capable of, and what it should ideally focus on will be rather dependent on all that missing information.

Zalusithix

Juses christ, i'm so sorry i completely forgot, i'll make it right.

I'm so so sorry.

Eh, I don't blame you. It's not something you'd normally think about. That's the downside of having to rely on an outside source to compile the data. The document needs to allow anonymous edits, but that makes it open to abuse as well.

I've placed a link to it in this post as well. (Quote to see, as usual.)

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
With all the new members, I have to wonder which will come first:
  • Having the majority of GAF Org members fill in their details into the Org spreadsheet.
  • Turbulent getting the official Org management (Fleet View, etc) operational, rendering the spreadsheet mostly obsolete.
Member procrastination and disorganization vs the typical delay of SC features. Tough call. ;)

Not that it matters a whole lot right now, but I can't say that I'm not curious as to how the Org breaks down on a ship and timezone level. GAF certainly isn't a large Org, yet GAF's member pool is relatively global in nature. As such, we can't exactly count on having key roles available at all times. I'm not even sure if we'll have some roles available at all in the beginning. (Salvage, mining, and civilian transport come to mind.) What the Org will be capable of, and what it should ideally focus on will be rather dependent on all that missing information.

Yeah, hopefully the official tools will be way better. I'd say it's still a useful exercise. It gets people thinking about things, and there tends to be a snowball effect as people see others are on board.

The validation dropdowns don't work on mobile, but at least people can still do freeform entry and it can be fixed up afterward.

Regarding role availability - it's a good thing people can have multiple ships!

I expect there will be a lot of people checking back in on the thread once GamesCom hits, so we'll see more people on the sheet then.

Zalusithix

Yeah, hopefully the official tools will be way better. I'd say it's still a useful exercise. It gets people thinking about things, and there tends to be a snowball effect as people see others are on board.

The validation dropdowns don't work on mobile, but at least people can still do freeform entry and it can be fixed up afterward.

Regarding role availability - it's a good thing people can have multiple ships!

I expect there will be a lot of people checking back in on the thread once GamesCom hits, so we'll see more people on the sheet then.

Hmm, I'll have to look into that. I currently have validation set to reject, and not just warn. That might make mobile entry impossible. I'll change the validation type to warn if the testing fails.

Edit: Looks like it works on mobile. Flags it as invalid, but doesn't prevent the data from being recorded. Good enough.

Edit 2: As for role availability, yes it's a good thing people can have multiple ships. It's even better that those ships can theoretically have control be delegated to others. That way, not only can one person fill multiple roles, but their ship collection can be used by multiple people. (Obviously subject to having enough trust in those provided with access.)

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Thanks, i was about to PM you to apologise again, trust me it won't happen again.

Ohh, how come. ?

"Ohh, how come. ?"

He always quotes like this lol, nobody knows why though.

Aeana explained it once - rare bug affecting some mods who can't quote posts. People can always just PM the link as well.

Hiding the link in the email tag is to keep random people from vandalizing the sheet.

Edit: Looks like it works on mobile. Flags it as invalid, but doesn't prevent the data from being recorded. Good enough.

Edit 2: As for role availability, yes it's a good thing people can have multiple ships. It's even better that those ships can theoretically have control be delegated to others. That way, not only can one person fill multiple roles, but their ship collection can be used by multiple people. (Obviously subject to having enough trust in those provided with access.)

Yup, that works.
Hopefully the ship-delegation interface is solid enough to prevent abuse. (insurance required, borrower covers replacement costs, no way to steal ships, etc)

Here's a signature-style block for it - feel free to copy/paste it for new pages, etc (not too often, don't want it to clutter the thread). It would be good to include it in the OP for the Gamescom thread too:

-------------------------------------------------------
NeoGAF Star Citizen Org: [Sign up]
(please include your GAF name in the message)
Quote this to see the link to the roster spreadsheet and add your details.

Shy

I'm really looking forward to this Friday's technical difficulties stream. :p

Seriously though, it's going to be hype as fuck.
Aeana explained it once - rare bug affecting some mods who can't quote posts.
Ahhh. always wondered that.

Zalusithix

Hopefully the ship-delegation interface is solid enough to prevent abuse. (insurance required, borrower covers replacement costs, no way to steal ships, etc)

Yeah, I really hope that they nail that aspect. Practically speaking, there's no way for me to make use of all the ships that I have - even with AI help. Being able to rent out or lend them to others without the fear of losing them completely would be a huge boon.

Daedardus

Aeana explained it once - rare bug affecting some mods who can't quote posts. People can always just PM the link as well.

I found a couple of posts with Cyan telling it is a bug and Aeana just saying that's it's all on Teknopathetic. I don't know what to believe anymore. :p

wsippel

Banned
Really want to jump in on this game, but it seems soooo expensive :(
It's not if you have any discipline. Just grab one of the starters (package with Aurora MR or Mustang Alpha - you can switch between those ships for free so it doesn't really matter which one you chose, you can give both a spin and keep the one you prefer). It's cheaper to get in now than it'll be once the game launches, and you still get beta access. There's no reason to spend more right now unless you want to support the development. In fact, the vast majority of players only have the most basic package.

Zalusithix

It's only expensive if you:
A) Decide to support the development with more expensive pledges.
B) Decide that you want to play it with a high end HOTAS setup.

Neither is required. Sure, you wont be starting out the game in a large multi-crew ship with a base pledge, but how many games do you start out with anything like that? Just treat it like any other game and work your way up to what you want.

Could I be let into the Org? Submitted an application. My Star Citizen name is NeoStar9X.
Assuming somebody else doesn't get to it before him, Shy will let you in whenever he's online next. He seems to be the most active on watching the applications.

Edit: And he beats my edit lol...

Effect

Only if you have no self control as said. All you need is one of the starting packages (the other packages lack the beta and arena commander pass. The ones labeled "starter" have those included". ) Ignore talk of people spending $100 or more on ships. That's way beyond the price of entry and it's own topic of discussion and "problem".

You're can, and you are.

As are the other three people, who signed up.

Thanks.

Jams775

Cool, I didn't know there was an org available. I filled out an application. Name is same as here.

Edit: Are they still selling the hard copy I signed up for? The Freelancer pack with the game on a usb and a engineers manual etc, ? I wouldn't be surprised if they baited and switched that up. Seems like a lot of devs have done that with physical copies.

Zalusithix

Cool, I didn't know there was an org available. I filled out an application. Name is same as here.

Edit: Are they still selling the hard copy I signed up for? The Freelancer pack with the game on a usb and a engineers manual etc, ? I wouldn't be surprised if they baited and switched that up. Seems like a lot of devs have done that with physical copies.

No more physical copies are available. If you bought one, it'll remain as such, but no new pledges will have physical copies.

Zalusithix

Just don't melt the package if you want to keep the physical goodies! If you melt a package with physical goods, they'll vanish without the ability to get them back with any current package. Stick to CCUs if you want to change the ship for any reason.

Zalusithix

Thanks for the responses guys! Definitely going to pick this up when all my new PC parts arrive tomorrow

And just to clarify... The ability to work your way up isn't available yet in game as the persistent universe isn't implemented, and wont be for some time. The game isn't finished after all. So until the PU is ready, you'll be locked to your pledge ship with the exceptions of periods of time where CIG unlocks various ships for everybody. During those periods you'll be able to fly any of the unlocked ships. You'll also be able to earn REC in ranked matches, and then spend that REC to rent new equipment for your ship, or even rent entirely new ships to fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom