• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Anyone planning to make a thread for the Star Citizen stuff at Gamescom? Sounds like it'll be thread-worthy.

-------------------------------------------------------
NeoGAF Star Citizen Org: [Sign up]
(please include your GAF name in the message)
Quote this to see the link to the roster spreadsheet and add your details.

Anyone here upgrade to Windows 10 and have no issues running AC?

I just looked read that DX12 might be something CIG wants to take advantage of. I don't want to install Windows 10 tonight and not be able to go in my hanger tomorrow.

I just looked read that DX12 might be something CIG wants to take advantage of. I don't want to install Windows 10 tonight and not be able to go in my hanger tomorrow.

It's working fine for me, I just got done playing about 45 minutes of Free Flight with no issue.

Great.

Updated to Windows 10 now the Launcher won't run. An "unhandled exception" message pops up ins a black window. So...if I have reinstall Windows 7 tonight just to get Star Citizen to run tomorrow when I pick up my GTX...

have you tried re installing the game? i have no problems playing on 10.

Ok...a google search helped me out. The "launcher" stopped working, but I was able to access the game by going in the bin64 folder and simply clicking on the Star Citizen app. Gotta love the internet.

SC appears to work fine for me...but I was only getting about 5-10 fps with no video card.

I can't wait to see what this looks like on my system tomorrow night.

Oh...I think parts of Windows 10 look good, parts look bad.

It has a slapped together feel to it. I'm glad I'm ready for Direct X12 though.

I also tested Rocket League. Ran fine.

KKRT00

Really want to jump in on this game, but it seems soooo expensive :(

Come on. For example it cost me only 35$. Crazy cheap, i would say steal even.

----

DX12 will be requirement for this game in the future, i would guess.

Kitoro

I backed this game at the $30 tier on Kickstarter, and I still really have no idea what it is past the obvious. I sure hope it turns out to be great, though!

Zalusithix

I backed this game at the $30 tier on Kickstarter, and I still really have no idea what it is past the obvious. I sure hope it turns out to be great, though!
What it is, what it's aiming for, and what it will end up being are all different things. The first is obvious since you can play it. The second could basically be summed up as a multi-player space sim to end all space sims, along with a single player campaign on the side. The scope defies simple summations. As for the third, that's anybody's guess.

wsippel

Banned
DX12 will be requirement for this game in the future, i would guess.
Probably. Either DX12 or Vulkan. CIG said the game makes insanely many draw calls so a low level API should really help, and Cryengine will almost certainly support both APIs. I mean, Cryengine was powering one of the first DX12 demos after all.

Zalusithix

Probably. Either DX12 or Vulkan. CIG said the game makes insanely many draw calls so a low level API should really help, and Cryengine will almost certainly support both APIs. I mean, Cryengine was powering one of the first DX12 demos after all.

What CryEngine supports and what SC supports isn't always going to be the same. There's been so many changes made to CryEngine for SC that I can hardly imagine it being a cakewalk to port any given change or new features over. That said, they have a number of ex-CryTek employees, so they can more or less forge their own path at this point.

KKRT00

I dont think there was a DX12 demo of CryEngine yet.
But they definitely has Mantle implementation in and OpenGL driver too already inside CryEngine.

---Edit---
Oh You mean King of Wushu?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV9aa_12Ap0
Yeah, but i dont know if thats Crytek's engineers, but probably with collaboration. Definitely its a first game that uses it.

------
Chris said in the last 104TC that they are porting 3.7 right now (end of august it will be done) and then they are doing 3.8 after that.

So they are still doing it, but probably cherry picking part of it out.

This gets me very excited. 3.8 branch has Voxel Based GI :)
If You guys did not see it yet, check last page of this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=910631&page=5

What CryEngine supports and what SC supports isn't always going to be the same. There's been so many changes made to CryEngine for SC that I can hardly imagine it being a cakewalk to port any given change or new features over. That said, they have a number of ex-CryTek employees, so they can more or less forge their own path at this point.

Chris said in the last 104TC that they are porting 3.7 right now (end of august it will be done) and then they are doing 3.8 after that.

Daedardus

Especially since the game is heavy on the CPU side. I see the game easily becoming CPU bound, and DX12 will really help to alleviate that. You can dial back the AA and other graphical effects if your GPU can't handle it all, but the physics calculations are really necessary for the gameplay.

Zalusithix

Likely just picking the rendering parts out that they want to implement. I imagine that's the area they have the least customization going on. I suppose that's all most people care about when they think of CryEngine though. Still, I just wanted to make it clear that SC isn't running on vanilla CryEngine where they can just pop in the most recent release and call it a day.

Especially since the game is heavy on the CPU side. I see the game easily becoming CPU bound, and DX12 will really help to alleviate that. You can dial back the AA and other graphical effects if your GPU can't handle it all, but the physics calculations are really necessary for the gameplay.
What AA? ;)

Zabojnik

How come they're taking so long to implement a good AA solution? I've seen people praise Ryse's, so it obviously can be done in CE (not that there was any doubt). Just a matter of priorities or ... ?

KKRT00

How come they're taking so long to implement a good AA solution? I've seen people praise Ryse's, so it obviously can be done in CE (not that there was any doubt). Just a matter of priorities or ... ?

Its not that simple. The Ryse AA was added to CE in 3.7 and it additionally requires some shader and texture changes to reduce shader aliasing.
And Star Citizen is the most shader heavy game in the industry. Btw they said that they are working on it, so its not like they forgot :)
What a pity thought that Tiago Sousa left Crytek for id Software way before CIG Frankfurt was formed, he would be so amazing addition to the team.

Zabojnik

Its not that simple. The Ryse AA was added to CE in 3.7 and it additionally requires some shader and texture changes to reduce shader aliasing.
And Star Citizen is the most shader heavy game in the industry. Btw they said that they are working on it, so its not like they forgot :)
What a pity thought that Tiago Sousa left Crytek for id Software way before CIG Frankfurt was formed, he would be so amazing addition to the team.

4267770.jpg

Any news on the FPS module? I heard it got delayed, but haven't heard any specifics on a release. Will the base star citizen come with both the spaceship things and the FPS stuff?

wsippel

Banned
Any news on the FPS module? I heard it got delayed, but haven't heard any specifics on a release. Will the base star citizen come with both the spaceship things and the FPS stuff?
Yeah, it's been delayed mostly due to netcode and animation issues. There are detailed weekly reports with screens and videos on the RSI website every friday. Chris Roberts recently said the release is a matter of weeks now, not months, but we'll see. He tends to be a bit optimistic.

Anyway, if you're talking about the full persistent universe, the first person combat is an integral part of it. There are no "modules" in the full game, it's all one thing. The "FPS" begins the moment you leave the pilot seat and draw your gun, no matter where you are in the universe. It's pretty much a sandbox action MMO, the ships serve as both mounts and housing. The single player campaign will have FPS missions I believe, but those too are supposed to be completely seamless. You fight your way to a base in your ship, land, hop out of your cockpit and grab your gun.

Pinktaco

Guys I haven't followed the game and current release that much, so can you answer are few questions:

What's avaliable now as in what can I play and what is yet to come.

Do I need to pay to play or are there any free aspects of current version? Also what will it cost me to Start if I have to pay?

Is this playable with mouse and keyboard?

How will the game play with an I5 4690K and gtx 970?

Maybe some of these questions have already been answered in which case I'd happily read that.

Daedardus

The hypothetical AA when the hypothetical beta gets released that hypothetically supports DX12.

I heard Chris Roberts is finetuning each jaggy by hand, but he wasn't happy with the solution so they are redoing all of them.

Honest answer, I don't know. It should've been #1 priority. Having to downsample to get decent screenshots is a pain in the ass when you're trying to run the game at at least 20 fps so you can at least move around.

tuxfool

Banned

You can buy a choice of two starter packs ($45) that gives you access to arena commander with a ship and the persistent universe beta as well as the final game.

Do I need to pay to play or are there any free aspects of current version? Also what will it cost me to Start if I have to pay?
Yes, if you buy the pack. Alternatively you can wait for free flight weekends which appear every so often. In those you can try out the game for free.

Yes
Should be more than fine for now, you will have to turn down settings though.

Guys I haven't followed the game and current release that much, so can you answer are few questions:

Maybe some of these questions have already been answered in which case I'd happily read that.

That's going to be my setup too.

You should expect, on very high setting, at least 45 fps at 1080p. That's what I'm expecting.

It depends on what is happening. You need at least an overclocked titan X / 980 Ti to maintain 60 when playing the training opening for example (1080p Very High).

There is a portion of AC more taxing than the 28 minute video I linked to?

He/She is running a 970 with good fps in very high.

The training module openings is in AC, so yeah.

The Vanduul swarm mode is usually CPU limited, but the opening of the training module is much more GPU limited.

tuxfool

Banned

Not so much AC as it stands now (training as mentioned above). But Sq42 and the game as it develops is guaranteed to be far more taxing.

The training module openings is in AC, so yeah.

The Vanduul swarm mode is usually CPU limited, but the opening of the training module is much more GPU limited.

Not so much AC as it stands now (training as mentioned above). But Sq42 and the game as it develops is guaranteed to be far more taxing.

As an example of what I mean:

Here is the opening on a highly OC'd Titan X.

I think the game will run better while looking a lot better in the end, but I imagine the Very High preset will just get heavier and heavier.

tuxfool

Banned

I think the game will run better while looking a lot better in the end, but I imagine the Very High preset will just get heavier and heavier.

I didn't to any extensive tests, but training ran fine for me on a 290 and a 4570.

Zalusithix

With DX12, it'll absolutely run better while at the same time looking better. The faster they dump DX11 support, the better.

Well...good thing i plan on running it with medium settings. Consistent 60fps at 1080p is what i'm shooting for.

If my 970 arrives today I'll post my specs and performance tonight.

Pinktaco

Some of the ships appear rather expensive, now I don't mind putting in an effort to get something nice, but do we have any idea of the required grind to some of the more expensive ships?

Burny

Some of the ships appear rather expensive, now I don't mind putting in an effort to get something nice, but do we have any idea of the required grind to some of the more expensive ships?

How should we get a grasp of such balance questions, when noone outside of CIG has even seen the public universe running. :p The balancing of profitability of the various activities is up in the air for outside observers atm and likely to heavily change, even after an alpha release in an unspecified future.

Zalusithix

There's been numbers thrown around for the Connie, but I wouldn't trust anything until the PU is actually live. I wouldn't be expecting to get your hands on something like an Idris without a significant time investment though.

Geist-

If you want some kind of idea, they released an in-game currency to rent flyable ships for Arena Commander.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/electronic-access/electronic-ships

Probably not accurate for final release, but current idea is that renting a ship for a week is about 1/10th of the cost for buying the ship with UEC. Purely speculation though.

Zalusithix

Well, I guess when you haven't got a ship and you aren't skilled in a profession, you can be a janitor until you earn your way back into the top.

You might be on to something there. I mean, we already know the Connie's toilets can get dirty... Now beds can get unmade. The writing is on the wall. Get into a debt that you can't pay back? You'll be cleaning toilets, scrubbing floors, and making beds until you can afford your freedom. ;)

BDSSE = Best Damn Servitude Simulator Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom