• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its in-engine, its not in-game :) Still, it has a lot of game assets there even if they are enchanted. This also means that You can achieve shading of the same quality in-game if You really want.
Sorry, I meant to say in-game. But yeah, I think hair quality as seen in this trailer is too much to expect even for TressFX. That being said, I'm sure it will look better than any other game hair.

Zalusithix

Glad to hear that, i was worried that they were going to put out a cheap flight stick.

Sarcasm? The implication was that the consistency dropped because of the buy out.

It's also quite likely that it will be a cheaper stick. The market for high end HOTAS units is only a small slice of the people invested in SC. From a business perspective, they're going to want to capitalize on the name and get as many sales as possible. A high end HOTAS simultaneously alienates the majority that don't want to spend that much, and is also a tough sell to those with enough disposable income to afford one. After all, the enthusiasts with money to burn most likely already have a decent HOTAS. Thus whatever was put out would need to be better than what those people already have. It makes more sense to target the low to midrange level and go after people that don't already have a stick at all or only have a crappy one.

Don't get me wrong. They're more than welcome to prove me wrong and release a great unit that'll obviate my desire to create a custom throttle. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

Geist-

My bad, i misread that, please ignore my stupid post. (i thought madcatz bought seitek, not the other way round.)

I think you misread it again. MadCatz bought Saitek, and the implication is that MadCatz is the reason for the drop in quality of Saitek products. :p

Btw, CIG did a poll in December of last year asking the community what they wanted from a Custom peripheral. 30k people voted in the poll, so it's pretty representative of the community I think.

In case anyone wants an idea of possibilities CIG has in mind.

Edit: Also, I'm a Member now! Yay!

Shy

I think you misread it again. MadCatz bought Saitek, and the implication is that MadCatz is the reason for the drop in quality of Saitek products. :p
*blushes* well, instead of spending my money on spaceships, i'm gonna spend it on reading lessons.

Zalusithix

Btw, CIG did a poll in December of last year asking the community what they wanted from a Custom peripheral. 30k people voted in the poll, so it's pretty representative of the community I think.

In case anyone wants an idea of possibilities CIG has in mind.

Edit: Also, I'm a Member now! Yay!

And therein lies the problem. A full 53% majority want a high quality HOTAS for under $200. Less than 30% will pay more than $250. Basically people want a custom high quality HOTAS that costs as much, or less than the current flagship ones. You're not really going to get anything better than the current products out of that. At best you'll get something a bit different, and at worst you'll get a rebrand or a few buttons moved around.

epmode

I said I'd pay more but I didn't actually expect them to go with a high-quality product.

Still glad I picked up a CH HOTAS.

NeoFaff

I have an early x52 I bought for DCS in storage. Haven't used in years because there's no space on my desk. Would have to contend with an arcade stick, console, monitor, tv, kb+m, mousepad, random paperwork, etc :p

Zalusithix

I have an early x52 I bought for DCS in storage. Haven't used in years because there's no space on my desk. Would have to contend with an arcade stick, console, monitor, tv, kb+m, mousepad, random paperwork, etc :p

See, you need to figure out how to mount it near your chair. Problem solved! =P (Though seriously, HOTAS units aren't really optimal on a desk. The height and position aren't quite right.)

Arulan

CH is fantastic and has the incredible build-quality reputation to stand on. I'm sure they'll (Saitek) be able to tailor certain features to SC, but I'm skeptical they'll be able to compete in the $250+ range. Maybe they'll step it up in quality, I don't know.

NeoFaff

See, you need to figure out how to mount it near your chair. Problem solved! =P (Though seriously, HOTAS units aren't really optimal on a desk. The height and position aren't quite right.)
Well I can fix the height issue since I have an electric standing/adjustable frame on my desk. The top is an L shape though so I don't know if that is better or worse.

Zalusithix

Well I can fix the height issue since I have an electric standing/adjustable frame on my desk. The top is an L shape though so I don't know if that is better or worse.

It's more of an issue that any table will place it too high and too forward. A table by nature needs to clear the legs height wise. Throttles and sticks in jets are down lower. If you look at the Eurofighter Typhoon or the F16 cockpits you can see what I mean. It's why all serious sim setups have the HOTAS mounted around the seat. Sometimes this is accomplished by mounting directly to the seat/chair, and other times it's done via a frame/mount setup that surrounds the seat/chair. Obviously using them on a desk works. Much like you can desk mount a wheel setup. It's just not really ideal.

Now that I have the 'recommended' specs to run this game on high (4690k and gtx 970)
How expensive is it to get access?
The OP says 30 dollars but I don't see that anywhere on the star citizen site

Now that I have the 'recommended' specs to run this game on high (4690k and gtx 970)

$45 is the cheapest you can get in at the moment, starter packages go on sale to $30 or less sometimes. Here are the 2 $45 options right now.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Aurora-MR-AC-Starter
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Mustang-Alpha-AC-Starter

You could also look into getting a AMD Never Settle Star Citizen code which might be cheaper than buying from the site.

Shy

Hi.
Here are a couple of options for you 1 and 2, they both have everything you'll need to play the game.

EDIT: damm you Leader. :p

Geist-

Thanks for the reply guys.

I'll wait for another sale then, 45 euros is a bit much to me for a game that is a long way from being finished:p

Just FYI, the only sale they've ever done was $20 packages that did not include alpha access, and the only reason they brought down the price is because it was funded by $2500 Javelin sales.

AFAIK, the price will actually rise as modules are released. They've mentioned it possibly going up $5 when FPS is released.

Zalusithix

Yep, a surprise sale not withstanding, the price is only going to go up, not down. This is a AAA level game and will be priced accordingly at release. It'll obviously fall again after release, but that's quite a long time from now.

Edit: I also have to wonder how many of those $20 packages actually were obtained by new players. I picked up a couple just for cheap additional AI crew members. (Additional package -> AI) Then I CCU'd the Auroras to ships I actually cared about. I know I wasn't alone in doing that.

Tommyhawk

Soon...

wc8wJjR.jpg

It is unlikely it will ever work. Cryengine uses a deferred renderer.

MFAA does work in Crysis 3. The engine is more like a "mixed deferred" with MSAA support. Thought it is expensive as hell (2XMSAA means cutting off at least 20fps at times).

Not sure whether the Cryengine build that CIG uses supports MSAA at all. In the CIG tech presentation they mention the engine supports 10 AA types...

LuffyZoro

So I went into my hangar a couple of months ago and saw that I had like 4 ships, when I had only remembered buying one. I figured that they had given more away over time or something. At the moment I don't have access to my desktop that can play the game, but I went on the website and it said that I only had one ship I could put in my hanger, the Aurora MR. What's the deal with that?

So I went into my hangar a couple of months ago and saw that I had like 4 ships, when I had only remembered buying one. I figured that they had given more away over time or something. At the moment I don't have access to my desktop that can play the game, but I went on the website and it said that I only had one ship I could put in my hanger, the Aurora MR. What's the deal with that?

Free weekends, weeks, etc... put the trial ships in your hangar. They were not given away to keep.

I imagine there will be some other free trial ships coming out soon.

LuffyZoro

Free weekends, weeks, etc... put the trial ships in your hangar. They were not given away to keep.

I imagine there will be some other free trial ships coming out soon.

Alright, I suppose I just expected some kind notification in the game if that were the case. Still, my one ship should be good enough for me.

Zalusithix

Alright, I suppose I just expected some kind notification in the game if that were the case. Still, my one ship should be good enough for me.
There's a notification on the website whenever they have free trial periods. There's no real need for them to notify you in game on top of that.

tuxfool

Banned
MFAA does work in Crysis 3. The engine is more like a "mixed deferred" with MSAA support. Thought it is expensive as hell (2XMSAA means cutting off at least 20fps at times).

Not sure whether the Cryengine build that CIG uses supports MSAA at all. In the CIG tech presentation they mention the engine supports 10 AA types...

There are a lot of engines capable of mixed rendering (if only for things like transparencies).

It is true that you can have MSAA on a deferred renderer, but as you said, it is expensive as hell. There is also the question of how good the resolve is. For example, Frostbite 3 games typically offer msaa, but the resolve is simply appalling.

Not really surprised it's Saitek. CH is too far under the radar and without the glitz. Thrustmaster would command too much of a premium price.
Yeah Saitek was obviously going to be the one, whenever they've shown the game off they've been using X-52s. The only way a Thrustmaster one would make sense financially to people would be if it came with a ship. :)

Blizzard

Banned
There are a lot of engines capable of mixed rendering (if only for things like transparencies).

It is true that you can have MSAA on a deferred renderer, but as you said, it is expensive as hell. There is also the question of how good the resolve is. For example, Frostbite 3 games typically offer msaa, but the resolve is simply appalling.
Downsampling can be expensive but people like doing that too. Unless it's just too difficult to implement, it would still be nice to have an expensive but nice-looking antialiasing option. People who can't run it could go without, and people who can would get better screenshots.

Crysis 3 has a crazy good resolve. They wrote a great tech presentation about how the MSAA works for a lot of cases where it breaks elsewhere... but is expensive as a result. :/

Blizzard

Banned
Crysis 3 has a crazy good resolve. They wrote a great tech presentation about how the MSAA works for a lot of cases where it breaks elsewhere... but is expensive as a result. :/
I mean I can understand it being expensive, and I'm a software engineer and I know optimization is important...but I feel like this is a weird case. Have there been ANY other options people have argued against because they don't want Star Citizen to have high system requirements on its highest settings?

It might not be perfect, but it's already not perfect. Maybe I'm just weird and like options.

I mean I can understand it being expensive, and I'm a software engineer and I know optimization is important...but I feel like this is a weird case. Have there been ANY other options people have argued against because they don't want Star Citizen to have high system requirements on its highest settings?

It might not be perfect, but it's already not perfect. Maybe I'm just weird and like options.
I would love MSAA as an option. I would never argue against a graphics option unless it was physically impossible or something!

wsippel

Banned
So odd question, if I backed November 19, 2012 - will I still have to purchase parts 2 and 3 of Squadron 42?
No. Squadron 42 is no longer a trilogy. It's a single full featured game now. Future games in the Star Citizen universe are planned as well, the first of which will be Behind Enemy Lines, and early backers will get that one at no additional cost as well. So I think you should get both. You can check your hangar. If it says you own both Squadron 42 and the Mission Disk, you get both full games as part of your pledge.

tuxfool

Banned
I would love MSAA as an option. I would never argue against a graphics option unless it was physically impossible or something!

Sure. It is nice to have options, even if they are too cost prohibitive to use in most situations. What I would dearly love is if CIG employed a TAA implementation that was as good as the one offered by UE4. The SMAA xTX solutions in cryengine just simply aren't as good.

Zalusithix

Options are always good. Options at any cost. Star Citizen should have options that bring even the highest end computer to its knees begging for mercy. Sure we wont be able to actually play the game at those settings at the time the game is released, but at least we'll get a glimpse of what's possible down the road. This is a PC game. CIG can afford to shoot for the stars under the assumption that PCs will catch up.

No. Squadron 42 is no longer a trilogy. It's a single full featured game now. Future games in the Star Citizen universe are planned as well, the first of which will be Behind Enemy Lines, and early backers will get that one at no additional cost as well. So I think you should get both. You can check your hangar. If it says you own both Squadron 42 and the Mission Disk, you get both full games as part of your pledge.

What? Where did you read that. In watching the dozen videos or so on SQ45 it's always been a trilogy with only the first part of it being free. Part 2 and 3 would not be included in the pledge package.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
the "mission disk" got turned into part 2, I think

I was researching this a while ago

Original Backers basically get parts 1 and 2 for free and will have to pay for part 3. this is the same as giving us the first mission disk for free and making us pay for subsequent ones.

wsippel

Banned
What? Where did you read that. In watching the dozen videos or so on SQ45 it's always been a trilogy with only the first part of it is free.
It's a bit confusing, but that's how CR explained it a while ago. Initially, Squadron 42 was supposed to be an episodic game, a trilogy, each part would have had a dozen missions or so. Now it's a single game with around 30 missions, and what was initially planned as a mission disk became a full fledged stand-alone sequel, Behind Enemy Lines.

Geist-

It's a bit confusing, but that's how CR explained it a while ago. Initially, Squadron 42 was supposed to be an episodic game, a trilogy, each part would have had a dozen missions or so. Now it's a single game with around 30 missions, and what was initially planned as a mission disk became a full fledged stand-alone sequel, Behind Enemy Lines.

Eh, I guess that's technically right. I believe at first there was going to be 5 episodes of 10-12 missions each. Now he's releasing it as a full 70 mission game and creating 2 sequels to create a trilogy of full-fledged games. Everyone who pledged before the $6 million stretch goal will be getting the 2nd game for free and everyone after that will have to pay. Everyone will have to pay for the 3rd game.

NeoFaff

Sure, give us options. If the video settings end up like the advanced video options in Serious Sam my eyes will glaze over though :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom