• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxfool

Banned
"This game is full feature creep, you'll never see any stretch goals!"
/demonstrates a variety of stretch goals well beyond people's expectations
"It was all scripted!"

TBH there is only on person claiming it was all scripted (ignoring the fact that the gamescom demo had to be done twice to get the right outcome).

The citizencon live demo also diverges from the press recording.

I just hope that they get their ipredictor working soon as the janky character motion doesn't give that good of an impression, despite being further proof of it not being scripted.

The high quality footage is really high quality
vlcsnap-2015-10-12-18rlk8p.png

Zabojnik

Good discussion, keep it up.

I'm not sure where this "why are they spending so much on actors!?" talk is coming from. It's what was promised. It's the original goal. A Wing Commander for the modern era. With Chris Roberts. Of course he was going to use his Hollywood connections. If money was tight, we'd probably be getting Mark Hamill, maybe another B-tier actor and that'd be that. Money keeps pouring in, so they obviously felt they could get away with a much more prestigious cast. That's beside the fact that we don't actually know how much they're spending.

As for the budget and what they can or can't do with it ... You don't have to be in game development to know that 91M$ isn't nearly enough to accomplish what CIG have in plan for the PU in the long(-ish) term. They're obviously counting on funding to continue in the coming months / years. If all goes well, Squadron 42 will likely bring in a fair bit of additional money (as someone mentioned already - they get most of the sale income, there's no publisher), as will Ep 2 and Ep 3 and whatever single player content (mini story campaigns) they'll be releasing in the future. And if it comes to the worst case scenario, the investors Roberts had lined up when this whole madness started ...

Chris Roberts said:
"I was never making a two or three or four million dollar game. I was always making $15 million game, minimum," Roberts says. "I'd lined up investors, and the crowdfunding was to validate that people still cared about space sims, or even about me, because I'd been gone for 10 years."

... would probably be asked to step in and help. There are also other options that don't require CIG to go begging EA. That's not to say that everything couldn't still go up in flames. Hopefully they know what they're doing with our money.

Speaking of which, a tech artist from CIG commented there. And being the obessive person that I am, I checked his posting history.
Just an FYI, the sysspec* = 4 section you have listed is almost 100% the equivalent of Very High, not High. At this point you could switch to very high and keep the remaining CVars with no major loss.

Also if you are wanting to regain performance your best bet is to avoid touching e_GI and the e_ViewDistRatioDetail cvars. This isn't the right release to start playing with e_GI, so skip that.

:D

Zalusithix

Looks like Rephin made the jump to the Armada pack, so we're up to three Idris-P. I think we're fairly well off on that front now for the size of our Org. With those frigates combined with the two Endeavors, we'll have a pretty good ability to set up forward bases. We lost some of our hauling capacity though, and are completely lacking on the mining/salvage end of things. We'll certainly have to focus on those loose ends in the PU if they're not shored up in future sales.

Starviper

Looks like Rephin made the jump to the Armada pack, so we're up to three Idris-P. I think we're fairly well off on that front now for the size of our Org. With those frigates combined with the two Endeavors, we'll have a pretty good ability to set up forward bases. We lost some of our hauling capacity though, and are completely lacking on the mining/salvage end of things. We'll certainly have to focus on those loose ends in the PU if they're not shored up in future sales.

Can't wait. I might upgrade (got a 350R package with LTI) but since mine is somewhat limited edition i'm unsure about swapping it out for anything. Mainly wanted the dual engine on the 350, and hope I'll be able to get some decent weapons on it for acting as an interceptor rather than a racer.

That being said.. The new Saber has LTI currently and would be a much better all-rounder. Hmm.

Lork

Controls aren't final yet, there will be some major changes coming soon, possibly in the next patch (although it also might not come until 2.0).
It's encouraging to hear that they don't think what they have right now is perfect/final. Did they say anything specific about what would change?

Zalusithix

I have a Sabre and Vanguard. I need to make sure I've applied to the guild.

Once you've applied to the Org, one of the people with the ability will accept your application. (For as much as I'm active in the Org stuff, I'm not technically part of the "official" management.) After that, plug your details into the google sheets roster (quote post for link to that at the bottom).

Can't wait. I might upgrade (got a 350R package with LTI) but since mine is somewhat limited edition i'm unsure about swapping it out for anything. Mainly wanted the dual engine on the 350, and hope I'll be able to get some decent weapons on it for acting as an interceptor rather than a racer.

That being said.. The new Saber has LTI currently and would be a much better all-rounder. Hmm.

I'll miss the 350R that I melted to fund the Armada pack. I loved the look of the ship, and I'm looking forward to the design pass on it quite a bit. Hopefully it'll go up for sale again at some point. If not, then it'll have been a worthy sacrifice for functionality.

As for your situation, you already have LTI on the 350R. Meanwhile, the Sabre should be available again whenever it's AC ready. There's no reason to worry about it now. Wait until the specs of the Sabre are more set in stone and upgrade to it at that time if you think it's worth it. Hopefully by then the design pass on the 300 series will be complete, and you'll be able to make a more informed decision on the matter. You'll retain the LTI from the 350R and anything else in the package, so you lose nothing by delaying the decision. The only reason you'd really want to do something now is if you wanted to add to your fleet instead of swapping one out, in which case the current concept sale is the better option. Also keep in mind that the Sabre is not AC ready. Thus you'd be provided with a loaner ship for AC use in the interim if you upgraded right now. I'm assuming that would be the SH, but I haven't really looked into it.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Once you've applied to the Org, one of the people with the ability will accept your application. (For as much as I'm active in the Org stuff, I'm not technically part of the "official" management.)

Oh, we can give you some permissions if you want to jump in.

Zalusithix

Oh, we can give you some permissions if you want to jump in.

I figured only MrBig had delegation powers, but looking at the roles, it appears you're lumped in the same role as him. As for the jumping in, I've already more or less jumped in on an unofficial basis. ;) I have no problem with becoming a more official member of the team. That said, we're still a ways off from being able to practically use the Org. Heck, beyond actual use, we're still a ways off from being able to even properly rank/role the Org. It's going to be interesting to try and slot everything in place for the PU.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I figured only MrBig had delegation powers, but looking at the roles, it appears you're lumped in the same role as him. As for the jumping in, I've already more or less jumped in on an unofficial basis. ;) I have no problem with becoming a more official member of the team. That said, we're still a ways off from being able to practically use the Org. Heck, beyond actual use, we're still a ways off from being able to even properly rank/role the Org. It's going to be interesting to try and slot everything in place for the PU.

All right, I gave you the recruitment role. Yeah, it's pretty limited right now. There are ranks and roles, but there isn't much to it. MrBig handed over the reins a while ago to keep things going in the long stretch before release.

MrBig

Yes, though I still lurk he if something does need my access. I've been hands off SC since I'd rather wait for a more finished product, and the surrounding controversies that have been tied to the project at this time are far from worth caring about. When the org has a role to play within the context of the actual game I will be here to help out again :)

Zalusithix

All right, I gave you the recruitment role. Yeah, it's pretty limited right now. There are ranks and roles, but there isn't much to it. MrBig handed over the reins a while ago to keep things going in the long stretch before release.

Yeah, the ranks are pretty much pointless right now and the roles are just the basics of what's needed to get things done. Hopefully we'll see a big revamp of the Org management and feature set soon.

Yes, though I still lurk he if something does need my access. I've been hands off SC since I'd rather wait for a more finished product, and the surrounding controversies that have been tied to the project at this time are far from worth caring about. When the org has a role to play within the context of the actual game I will be here to help out again :)
Most likely see you in 2016 then when the first elements of the PU will likely make it in for testing.

10 more to go. Any bets as to whether it is will be a blank account?

I imagine a ton of these new accounts are junk accounts for the sole purpose of the referral rewards.

tuxfool

Banned
I imagine a ton of these new accounts are junk accounts for the sole purpose of the referral rewards.

You're suggesting people are buying starter packages just to get the referral rewards? What then, gift it and flog it?

They'll need to make some sort of verification so that their database doesn't get clogged up with trash.

The high quality footage is really high quality
vlcsnap-2015-10-12-18rlk8p.png

I know they used all this amazing tech and everything...but something about Gary Oldman still looks off. Something with the placement of the eyes...can't tell if they're too close, too small, or if the rest of his face just looks too "big".

tuxfool

Banned
I know they used all this amazing tech and everything...but something about Gary Oldman still looks off. Something with the placement of the eyes...can't tell if they're too close, too small, or if the rest of his face just looks too "big".

I'd be pretty interested to see the performance capture video running in sync.

Zalusithix

You're suggesting people are buying starter packages just to get the referral rewards? What then, gift it and flog it?

They'll need to make some sort of verification so that their database doesn't get clogged up with trash.

The max referral count is 10 right now. That's $450 worth of starter packages - chump change to a fair number of backers. Assuming that you can gift your only package on an account, that'll allow them to gift it back to their primary account and have 10 NPCs and a bonus of $50 worth of UEC free. Assuming they don't need the NPCs, they can melt the gifted packages back down for a $450 credit towards a bigger ship. Then there's the value of the rewards. ($15 Greycat, etc.) From a monetary standpoint, it doesn't seem like there's anything to lose. Sure it's cheating the spirit of the system, but when has that stopped anybody?

yikes... seems like Star Marine isn't hitting a 2015 release.

Hey guys! One big clarification from CitizenCon: the Baby PU is NOT replacing Star Marine, it's simply going to include a lot of the work we've done on the FPS. We still intend to release Star Marine proper (with Gold Horizon and the HQ game mode and all that.) In all likelihood, you'll see Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 first and then Star Marine proper shortly after that... and we'll continue to update with more details on both as they're locked down.

Well ac 2.0 has designated space stations for fps in the crusader map so it's not a total loss. Kind of confusing though as I almost thought SM was included in 2.0

Is the Baby PU/Crusader system officially set for 2016? All I recall from the Citizencon presentations was some vague "soon"-ness. I was hoping that's for this year =X.

Dezeer

Is the Baby PU/Crusader system officially set for 2016? All I recall from the Citizencon presentations was some vague "soon"-ness. I was hoping that's for this year =X.

Yeah Chris didn't give a solid date for the release of AC 2.0 because CIG hasn't really been able to keep in line with their own dates, and the community has, rightfully so, given some shit because of that.

Probably best they really can give in terms of "under promise and over deliver".

Rephin

Yeah. I'm eventually going to get a Hull back, probably upgrading an LTI ship into it, but I needed to burn the majority of my stuff to get the Armada Pack. That pack was practically my existing fleet plus a capital ship, so I decided to jump on it. I still have the Retaliator modules at least, if lighter freight work is needed.

pottuvoi

Banned
Considering that they use photogrammetry to scan actors and blend shapes, you can be sure that the surface is quite close to the original actor. (Even with all the cleaning needed.)

Most likely you are seeing distortions caused by a selected 'lense' in the shot.

Well... being a 1:1 scan..perhaps it is gary oldman's old guy face
garyoldman.jpg

when did i say that? i backed the game two years ago. when did sharing new information become trolling?

My bad, I misremembered - this was what I was thinking of:

mercenar1e said:
They teased star marine for several months but the hype just isn't working for me anymore.

Of course sharing new information isn't trolling, it's the way you present it, e.g.

"Derek Smart said so but thanks for the confirmation. i just got a few people mad now lol"
"nothing is wrong about what hes doing.. the employees at CIG is leaking information to him and hes doing us all a favor by shining a light on it."
"yikes..."
"its not the first time for CR lol"
"i thought CR touted complete transparency earlier this year? does that only apply to portions of the game that's already delayed?"

Derek Smart doing us all a favour is my favourite. Yeah, he is such a selfless guy, a real champion of the people!

Anyway, whatever - the world keeps turning. I just got fed up for a moment there.

I want to assume that's a mashup of assets + concept art, but SC has fooled me before. The silhouettes of the cities in the background look drawn, though.

What is this from? Why there so little aliasing? Look at the reflection on the window!

It is from a most recent jump point if I am not mistaken.
I want to assume that's a mashup of assets + concept art, but SC has fooled me before. The silhouettes of the cities in the background look drawn, though.

Hard to say that considering what bokeh does to object shapes. It has characteristic motionblur and bokeh problems around the edges of the gladiator on the right for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom