• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daedardus

Can we at least agree that totally open game development wasn't a good idea? Naughty Dog would have been fired by now, Zelda Wii U cancelled and Square Enix crucified for FFXV if they were as open as this.

I disagree. Seeing in-progress stuff is fascinating to me. I'd love it if every dev did it.

I also love the opposite - announced and released within a very short window (<4 months). This rarely happens though for big games.

Can we at least agree that totally open game development wasn't a good idea? Naughty Dog would have been fired by now, Zelda Wii U cancelled and Square Enix crucified for FFXV if they were as open as this.

Disagree. The fact it is a kickstarter project makes it a perfect skinner box for open development minus the feedback penalties. It is both a source for game academia, budget, scoping and essentially game development in general. The more we know how it works, the less informed opinions we can assert.

I for one am glad we are given a better, raw view of game development. As for the disgruntled consumers, it all boils down to how the game is released, open development or not.

I also think it is beyond awesome. I also have a greater understand and empathy for the terms "WIP" than some commentators, media, backers.

IDK mate, they are twins in my eyes.
Tron-Legacy-movie-image-new-collider-10.jpg

vlcsnap-2015-10-14-007kjgn.png

There quite close in terms of face detail, but that Jeff Bridges mane is on some next level shit.

tuxfool

Banned

ND would be utterly buried by naysayers. In interviews, they mention that TLoU was completely broken from a performance standpoint and a fun standpoint up to a month before release.

I love all this stuff, but I also despair for other people that cannot take a more measured approach to all the stuff that gets released.

Daedardus

Do not get me wrong. Personally, I love to know all this stuff, to see how things get made, all those sneak peeks, the good things, the bad things .... But it pains my heart to see all those negative comments simply because everything gets thrown on the internet. And by negative I don't mean legit criticism, because everyone still has to right to be critical and sometimes they are right too, but I mean those downright toxic comments of everyone name calling each other. It doesn't do the game good since it's a lot of negative press that's putting pressure on the development. I still believe, but I fear the dream will be broken because others don't believe anymore.

Zalusithix

We've had looks into the sausage factory since Broken Age began development and started its documentary, so the concept of open development isn't exactly something new to Star Citizen. It's just that SC is an order of magnitude larger and more complex than any of the crowdfunded games that came before (or after) it. The stakes and expectations are higher than ever and as those grow, the scrutiny and detractors grow with them. Even though the project has unprecedented levels of information coming out, nothing short of total transparency will ever satisfy those that want to believe that something is wrong. And with total transparency you'd simply shift the complaints from one topic to another. There's no winning that battle.

Given the fact that you'll never satisfy everybody, you might as well be as open as realistically possible. The level of interaction with the community that CIG takes creates a tighter relationship between the company and its backers/fans, and provides for one hell of a story to unfold side by side with the project. We'll often hear little bits and pieces about the development of some traditionally published game - sometimes years down the line. These minor factoids often become article worthy because hardly anything makes it out of the black hole that is traditional development. Meanwhile, with SC, you could pretty much write a damn book about it with publicly available information , and it's still not even finished.

Is anyone good with video-foo?

If so, could they side-side video time sync this (without its audio of course):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIr9ZU-hyNo&feature=youtu.be

with the end of the oldman trailer from gamerysde where he says "without victory there can be no survival..."?

I am curious to see how the animation lines up with the video.

Sadly I have no idea how to move my way around free video editing software or I would make the side by side video myself!

The new Letter from the Chairman has an interesting update: they won't be charging for the AC/SM modules piecemeal going forward! No more $5 charge. I'm sure that detractors will find a way to show how it's indicative of the project running out of money, of course...

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
The new Letter from the Chairman has an interesting update: they won't be charging for the AC/SM modules piecemeal going forward! No more $5 charge. I'm sure that detractors will find a way to show how it's indicative of the project running out of money, of course...

Yeah, that'll simplify things quite a bit for new players. 10000 UEC credit for existing alpha passes and 5000 for AC passes is nice too.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15007-Letter-From-The-Chairman

i have 15,000 UEC and an Avenger.. what can i get with it in the store?

if i upgrade my weapons will i have to worry about it not working on the Avenger revision?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I'd hold off on buying anything with UEC right now. Use the free flight code above to get in a nice ship (e.g. super hornet) and earn some REC which you can use to rent weapons and try them out.

Vanduul swarm is good since some people are still cheating with XML editing in public PVP games.

Zabojnik

Do not get me wrong. Personally, I love to know all this stuff, to see how things get made, all those sneak peeks, the good things, the bad things .... But it pains my heart to see all those negative comments simply because everything gets thrown on the internet. And by negative I don't mean legit criticism, because everyone still has to right to be critical and sometimes they are right too, but I mean those downright toxic comments of everyone name calling each other. It doesn't do the game good since it's a lot of negative press that's putting pressure on the development. I still believe, but I fear the dream will be broken because others don't believe anymore.

I think I'm well over the phase you're describing. Not so over that I won't respond with salt to someone who posts bafflingly ignorant things about Star Citizen, but ... yeah. I think developing a thick layer of skin is crucial when you go open development and it's definitely a learning process both for the devs and backers / followers. Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I feel like I've already gotten my money's worth by being allowed to witness how the sausage is being made. Though, granted, I've invested far less than some other folks. :p

In the end, I think it'll be for the best. Having the players involved will help make it a better game, as long as CIG manage to keep the balance between what the players want and when it makes sense to ignore them. It ain't easy, but nothing i-is, as Blur put it.

In the end, I think it'll be for the best. Having the players involved will help make it a better game, as long as CIG manage to keep the balance between what the players want and when it makes sense to ignore them. It ain't easy, but nothing i-is, as Blur put it.

As an example of commentary to ignore: every FPS post there is someone complaining about how the game will be slow paced in movement and restrict player view via helmet choice.

It is almost as if people do not get that not every FPS needs to borrow its design paramaters from quake.

Zabojnik

As an example of commentary to ignore: every FPS post there is someone complaining about how the game will be slow paced in movement and restrict player view via helmet choice.

It is almost as if people do not get that not every FPS needs to borrow its design paramaters from quake.

That's not what I meant by ignoring, that's just blocking out the noise, since nobody has even had the chance to play the damn thing yet. Ignoring comes after that. :p

I hope when released we're given a large amount of post processing options to add and removed. I'm a stickler for the cinematic, so to me star citizen would look much better with some nice film grain, TXAA (or some other cinematic temperol AA), chromatic aberration(tasteful amount), high amounts of per object motion blur and bokeh DOF.
But that's just me

Zalusithix

I hope when released we're given a large amount of post processing options to add and removed. I'm a stickler for the cinematic, so to me star citizen would look much better with some nice film grain, TXAA (or some other cinematic temperol AA), chromatic aberration(tasteful amount), high amounts of per object motion blur and bokeh DOF.
But that's just me

Built in 24FPS framerate limiter too? ;)

Edit: On a more serious note, the game is predominately a first person affair. Having tons of cinematic effects will be good for screenshots, but they'll make the actual experience of playing less than optimal.

epmode

to me star citizen would look much better with some nice film grain, TXAA (or some other cinematic temperol AA), chromatic aberration(tasteful amount), high amounts of per object motion blur and bokeh DOF.

Might not be a good idea to put that stuff in a first-person game. Our eyes don't work that way.

I like bokeh DOF effects for directed cutscenes though.

Might not be a good idea to put that stuff in a first-person game. Our eyes don't work that way.

I like bokeh DOF effects for directed cutscenes though.

The game already has these things: bokeh on the helmet interrior, per object motionblur is of course on, but optional... same with CA (which you can even turn on with an .ini edit).

I am definitely not one for getting rid of graphical pp effects, rather, letting them be user defined. PC gaming!
Edit: On a more serious note, the game is predominately a first person affair. Having tons of cinematic effects will be good for screenshots, but they'll make the actual experience of playing less than optimal.

I am of the opinon that of all those, per object motionblur helps animation fludity quite a lot. Especially in a first person game.

Munin

The Bishop cutscene looks really bad as it is, but I guess they can improve on that. What really concerns me though is the god awful writing, which I suspect will be here to stay...and that'll make the story a total cringe fest. And with a shitty story S42 will be nothing more than a test run for the PU, which is sad considering I pledged in the beginning precisely to get an awesome single player experience.

Zalusithix

I am of the opinon that of all those, per object motionblur helps animation fludity quite a lot. Especially in a first person game.

Object motion blur doesn't really bother me. DoF, however, can screw with gameplay just as easily as it can enhance the visuals. Games just aren't smart enough to know what you want to focus on. CA would only make the least bit of sense in helmet/cockpit/remote turret scenes, and even there it'd have to be very light. Film grain makes no sense anywhere as SC isn't supposed to be presented in a cinematic way. You're supposed to be there in the flesh, not watching the actions of somebody else that's there like a movie.

Does anyone know any reasons why SVOGI wouldn't be implemented into the graphical pipeline?

That's a question only Chris Roberts and Dictator93 can answer.
lol
It is not part of 3.7 which they integrated recently, but comments from frankfurt and 2 of their graphics guys point to the fact that from now on they will only integrate select parts of the engine. So that would mean graphical features as well. The most recent monthly report talked about a couple of optimization and animation features they brought over from the 3.8+ branch.

The one had this to say at the beginning of september, read from it what you will:
Just an FYI, the sysspec* = 4 section you have listed is almost 100% the equivalent of Very High, not High. At this point you could switch to very high and keep the remaining CVars with no major loss.

Also if you are wanting to regain performance your best bet is to avoid touching e_GI and the e_ViewDistRatioDetail cvars. This isn't the right release to start playing with e_GI, so skip that.

IMO, they will add it... just wait till it matures a bit. It still needs some fine tuning regarding specular reflections.

Zalusithix

Picked up a Sabre for the LTI token. I'll CCU that into an LTI Orion the next time they go on sale.

If you're picking up an Orion, I guess I should target the Reclaimer to cover all grounds. At that point I might as well pick up a Redeemer too and have the entire Aegis lineup (short of the Javelin). ;)

HelloMeow

Is there any way to stop the game from dampening my rotation in decoupled mode? It feels so wooden when the game doesn't let me manage my rotation myself.

I've got it working, but it doesn't feel natural. I don't want to have to hold a stick to keep turning.

I think that will change radically as soon as the double stick control modes and otherwise are implemented. Right now decoupled wokrs only really as an additive mode for your normal IFCS flight... true decoupled is still not there.

It is one of the highest requested parts of the sim part though along iwth a different approach to mouse user balance... I imagine they will get to it.

I'm still waiting for CIG to step up their HUD UI as this is one of the components where I feel they're very lacking compared to other space sims like ED or Eve Valkyrie. The demo they showed almost 2 years ago had tons of promise when they brought in the guy who did the Iron Man suit UI.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrZpSPup9l4

Yea it wasn't entirely functional but it was customizable and looked damn cool. It's disappointing to see that the current design has barely changed since AC launched

Zalusithix

I'm still waiting for CIG to step up their HUD UI as this is one of the components where I feel they're very lacking compared to other space sims like ED or Eve Valkyrie. The demo they showed almost 2 years ago had tons of promise when they brought in the guy who did the Iron Man suit UI.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrZpSPup9l4

Yea it wasn't entirely functional but it was customizable and looked damn cool. It's disappointing to see that the current design has barely changed since AC launched

Displays in SC are way more variable than something like ED. Some are helmet based, some are holographic projections from within the ship, some are physical screens of various shapes and sizes. I think they've done a pretty good job considering all the variables in play.

Edit: Which isn't to say that there aren't areas they can be improved. Just that it's a bit unfair to compare to Elite where they have only had to hone one UI that is recycled (along with the seat) between every single ship.

Displays in SC are way more variable than something like ED. Some are helmet based, some are holographic projections from within the ship, some are physical screens of various shapes and sizes. I think they've done a pretty good job considering all the variables in play.

Edit: Which isn't to say that there aren't areas they can be improved. Just that it's a bit unfair to compare to Elite where they have only had to hone one UI that is recycled (along with the seat) between every single ship.

Even with the variations there are quite a few basic problems with the basic HUD design. Colors blending to the area, giant "GO HERE" arrows, useless radar, intrusive systems display (noise, IR tracker), targeting brackets being larger and brighter than the ship itself. Still a very long way to go.

Yeah, ideally, I'd like it to be somewhere in the middle. I like the consistency of Elite's UI, but it should be varied per manufacturer, and even within newer and older models for the same manufacturer. Colors, text, accents, etc. It's all a little "plain" now compared to SC, which is kinda at the other extreme.

Zalusithix

Even with the variations there are quite a few basic problems with the basic HUD design. Colors blending to the area, giant "GO HERE" arrows, useless radar, intrusive systems display (noise, IR tracker), targeting brackets being larger and brighter than the ship itself. Still a very long way to go.
As far as the radar goes, have you used the Merlin yet? The flat screen radar on it is so much easier to use than the holographic versions in other ships.

Yeah, ideally, I'd like it to be somewhere in the middle. I like the consistency of Elite's UI, but it should be varied per manufacturer, and even within newer and older models for the same manufacturer. Colors, text, accents, etc. It's all a little "plain" now compared to SC, which is kinda at the other extreme.
Hell, I'd be happy with even chair variation in Elite. ;) Star Citizen is certainly on the opposite end of the spectrum compared to Elite, but I really like the fact that every ship feels unique, both inside and out. Take the video feeds of the Constellation being flown and compare it to the Hornet and they're so utterly different. I can't wait for the capital ship class holo-display-tables. Hoping to see miniature ships flying around instead of symbols.

As far as the radar goes, have you used the Merlin yet? The flat screen radar on it is so much easier to use than the holographic versions in other ships.

I think that's preference for 3D vs 2D radar. I honestly prefer 3D of it's done right (like in Diaspora). More than the basic design (which I have issues with) Radar seems like it has no use with the giant arrow pointing you to targets.

bee

1 million backers! seems quite a few jumped in after citizencon

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15007-Letter-From-The-Chairman

In honor of our newest Citizen (really, our thousands of new Citizens!) we would like to give something back to the entire community for all your incredible support. Starting today, we are eliminating &#8216;Alpha Access&#8217; and the $5 module passes. Anyone who has pledged for a Star Citizen Package can now play today without worrying they won&#8217;t have access to some portion of the &#8216;Verse in the future. No Star Marine pass, no Alpha 2.0 pass&#8230; no additional payment needed for any module in the works, pre-release. Going forward, should we need to put out some sort of limited release it will be done through the PTU test server. All backers will have access to any live release, the moment it publishes.&#8221;

IMO, they will add it... just wait till it matures a bit. It still needs some fine tuning regarding specular reflections.

the games getting global illumination? lol but it already looks sick as fuck, can't see anyone playing this above 1080p or so on day one

the games getting global illumination? lol but it already looks sick as fuck, can't see anyone playing this above 1080p or so on day one

I actually run it at 1440p.

With that being said, has there been any performance improvements in regards to SLi?

I was using a generic Cryengine profile last time I booted up SC. I may check in on things again so I figured I'd ask.

Also is there any way to change my ship to the Mustang? I have the original starter package Aurora-MR, but the Mustang seems like it's more suited to what modules are out at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom