• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

I think that's preference for 3D vs 2D radar. I honestly prefer 3D of it's done right (like in Diaspora). More than the basic design (which I have issues with) Radar seems like it has no use with the giant arrow pointing you to targets.

It has less to do with 2D vs 3D and more to do with that the visibility of the radar is much higher on the Merlin. You can "at a glance" it much easier than the holographic variants. Not having the holographic glow and ship showing through behind the markers makes it a lot clearer.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Also is there any way to change my ship to the Mustang? I have the original starter package Aurora-MR, but the Mustang seems like it's more suited to what modules are out at the moment.

Check the cross-chassis upgrade menu (Store > Ship Upgrades) and there should be an option to switch between the two for free.

It has less to do with 2D vs 3D and more to do with that the visibility of the radar is much higher on the Merlin. You can "at a glance" it much easier than the holographic variants. Not having the holographic glow and ship showing through behind the markers makes it a lot clearer.

Having ran around with the merlin... I can only agree. I found myself seeking things intuitively via the radar rather than the helmet HUD indicators.

It felt great.

Displays in SC are way more variable than something like ED. Some are helmet based, some are holographic projections from within the ship, some are physical screens of various shapes and sizes. I think they've done a pretty good job considering all the variables in play.

Edit: Which isn't to say that there aren't areas they can be improved. Just that it's a bit unfair to compare to Elite where they have only had to hone one UI that is recycled (along with the seat) between every single ship.

True it is easier for ED to just recycle HUD elements between ships but they are still ahead of the basic ship HUD SC has had for 1.5 years IMO. The Merlin and Scythe are on the right track and look decent for what they are but considering they seemed to build up this old prototype within a limited amount of time just shows the lack of progress CIG has had in this area. That 3D cone reticle seemed like an awesome idea for lining up your targets in VR.
4gMaYpu.gif

The constellation was one of my favorite original ships but I just can't get over how simple and basic the current HUD design is. Maybe I'm just more into the flashy futuristic sci fi design other space games have went for.
0.jpg

In other news, 1.3 on PTU today!
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/290147/publishing-1-3-0-to-ptu

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
CIG said:
- New emotes have been added to the game.
/agree, /angry(1-3), /attention, /blah(1-2), /bored (2), /bow(1-6), /burp, /cheer(1-8), /chicken, /clap (5-7 are new), /come(1-4), /cry, /dance(1-6), /disagree(1-3), /failure, /flex(1-3), /flirt, /gasp(1-5), /gloat(1-4), /greet, /laugh(1-3), /point(1-4), /rude(1-3), /salute(1-2), /sit, /sleep, /smell(1-2), /threaten(1-2), /wait(1-2), /wave(1-2), /whistle(1-2)

That's a lot of emotes.

Raticus79

As in after I drag and drop em? Saweeeet.

Yeah, copy your folder with the right name and then run the launcher. It should do the smaller download, then you verify files to be sure it didn't miss anything.

This fix is nice:
- Fixed an issue where a ships target could be lost when increasing distance from target, despite target still being in sensor range.
I was running into that issue frequently.

Geist-

- New emotes have been added to the game.
/agree, /angry(1-3), /attention, /blah(1-2), /bored (2), /bow(1-6), /burp, /cheer(1-8), /chicken, /clap (5-7 are new), /come(1-4), /cry, /dance(1-6), /disagree(1-3), /failure, /flex(1-3), /flirt, /gasp(1-5), /gloat(1-4), /greet, /laugh(1-3), /point(1-4), /rude(1-3), /salute(1-2), /sit, /sleep, /smell(1-2), /threaten(1-2), /wait(1-2), /wave(1-2), /whistle(1-2)

Wave! We have a wave emote everyone! I can finally wave to everyone!

Rephin

-Size 4 fixed mounts for the Hornet and Cutlass Turrets have been added to accommodate the Ballistic Cannon.

Hornets can take S4 weapons? Oh mah gahhhh.

So I copied my public contests into the "Test" folder...
and then when I verify/analyse the game content... yeah... not sure if it is working lol

edit: what am I doing wrong?!

Raticus79

So I copied my public contests into the "Test" folder...
and then when I verify/analyse the game content... yeah... not sure if it is working lol

edit: what am I doing wrong?!

The PTU was delayed due to a missing file and just went live about 10 minutes ago. Make sure you do the PTU account copy from the account settings page and choose the PTU region in the launcher.

I'll try it out in an hour or so here.

The PTU was delayed due to a missing file and just went live about 10 minutes ago. Make sure you do the PTU account copy from the account settings page and choose the PTU region in the launcher.

I'll try it out in an hour or so here.

Oh the copy account thing is working, just downloading all 33 gigs is what is dismaying :(

Raticus79

Oh the copy account thing is working, just downloading all 33 gigs is what is dismaying :(

Ah, that sucks. Maybe that trick just won't work this time.

Edit: yeah, I wasn't able to get it to reuse the files either. Oh well, deleted that test folder and started a fresh download just in case.

Xane

I'm still waiting for CIG to step up their HUD UI as this is one of the components where I feel they're very lacking compared to other space sims like ED or Eve Valkyrie. The demo they showed almost 2 years ago had tons of promise when they brought in the guy who did the Iron Man suit UI.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrZpSPup9l4

Yea it wasn't entirely functional but it was customizable and looked damn cool. It's disappointing to see that the current design has barely changed since AC launched

Speaking of Martin Galway, we haven't heard from him in quite a while. I wonder what he's up to now that the Audio team grew.

I only got five minutes with the PTU, buit after going from training back to the hangar I found my charater suddenly with a helmet on... and the DOF was cranked. I wonder what that is about.
starcitizen_2015_10_1brs87.png

starcitizen_2015_10_1dusne.png

So is SC now a single purchase get it all for future buyers?
That is the idea. THe webstore still though has some weird packages listed and dupicate info with different prices. They need to clean it up.
I see they haven't fixed our suddenly fractured wrists when sitting in a vehicle, lol.
Those are his jazz hands
That is a helmet only a true Helghan man could appreciate.
Just needs some glowey red bits!

Geist-

I guess I glossed over it when I read the notes, but we can EVA without landing now! And apparently a few ships have a limited internal physics grid (Avenger, Mustangs, and 300-series so far), but it's apparently a bit glitchy.

I am glad i have my Super Hornet LTI.

I CCUed mine to a Sabre last Friday. :-(

At least we have rentals.

Zalusithix

I think it's a base Hornet, but I can't tell because I think my Vanguard also gives me a base Hornet.

You'd think for the price and what it's supposed to compete with, that it'd be the Super Hornet and not the base Hornet. You might be right though, as I had two base hornets listed the last time I booted up AC after flipping my ship packages around. Really hard to tell for me though given the number of packages I have and all the ships available from the citizencon code.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
You'd think for the price and what it's supposed to compete with, that it'd be the Super Hornet and not the base Hornet. You might be right though, as I had two base hornets listed the last time I booted up AC after flipping my ship packages around. Really hard to tell for me though given the number of packages I have and all the ships available from the citizencon code.

You just get basic ships for loaners, never variants, unfortunately. Before the Avenger was in the hangar, I got a loaner 300i, even though I think a 350r would have been closer in price to my Avenger.

Zalusithix

You just get basic ships for loaners, never variants, unfortunately. Before the Avenger was in the hangar, I got a loaner 300i, even though I think a 350r would have been closer in price to my Avenger.

I could have sworn I had the Super Hornet as a temp for the Constellation Phoenix back in the day. I could be remembering wrong though.

Raticus79

I could have sworn I had the Super Hornet as a temp for the Constellation Phoenix back in the day. I could be remembering wrong though.

Nope, my phoenix still only gives the no-turret-available basic hornet. I probably have three of those now.

---

Picking up my steam controller preorder tonight (edit: nope, tomorrow)! This should be fun. Time to see if it's as good for space games as I expected.

Haha, I was thinking that, too.

Hope that bokeh isn't done. The transition from "sharp" to "butter in my eyes" is way too stark.

If it makes you feel any better, I am pretty sure it is usually not that stark. My character model was broken, I was stuck staring at my hands which were below my chest, and the DOF just like... showed up.

PTU 1.3 is BUGGGGGGGGGGY. Loading up arc corp I have crashed twice on it now. Now idea why.

edit: BTW, Ryse style TAA is able to be forced thorugh a user.cfg

If it makes you feel any better, I am pretty sure it is usually not that stark. My character model was broken, I was stuck staring at my hands which were below my chest, and the DOF just like... showed up.

PTU 1.3 is BUGGGGGGGGGGY. Loading up arc corp I have crashed twice on it now. Now idea why.

edit: BTW, Ryse style TAA is able to be forced thorugh a user.cfg

Gotcha. The bokeh effect itself looks great.

At least you get into Arc Corp. I just fall and fall and fall as soon as I load into my Hangar...
oh lol, that happens to me too (3/4 of the time at least).

BTW, Ryse style SMAA (with the tweakable paramters that I assume work / don't work in the user.cfg) has sadly some artifacts. The same ones that CE 3.7+ have. It seems to induce some visible vibrating and shaking on scene objects that do not accept motionblur (aka are not producting motion vectors).

So in an ironic turn of events, that motionblur bug I reported ...also effects TAA. So you see funny stuff like character bodies violently vibrating while the heads stay perfectly still. lol
Gotcha. The bokeh effect itself looks great.

That it does.

Raticus79

Did anyone's arc corp performance and performance in the training mode absolutely get crippled? I am getting like 20-30 fps in both now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom