• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

epmode

But they didn't sell you a ship, did they? You just get a ship in return for helping to fund the game.

Even though that isn't how they're presenting it on their site, that's true. I'd still like to see what happens if they try to pull an EVE-style YOU LOSE on any ship acquired before release. Shitstorm wouldn't even begin to describe it.

Thanks for the info. I was considering the Constellation package not only due to the ship but also for the extra stuff they're bundling. I haven't pledged anything to this game yet and was thinking of doing my only contribution that way.

But I guess I'll stick with Elite Dangerous only for now.

mkenyon

Banned
Nope, not at this time. The Constellation isn't even flyable (and won't be in the near time) and you better wait till the Constellation variants come along. It's better to earn it in game anyway.

And how exactly insurance will work is undecided, but it's something along this: you pay insurance. When your ship gets crashed, the insurance company will deliver you a new one, based on the current market supply (with popular ships having smaller delivery times) once you've paid a small fee based on how frequently you've crashed your ship/ how damaged it is.
Bolded is based on literally nothing.
But they didn't sell you a ship, did they? You just get a ship in return for helping to fund the game.

People are way too stupid for pledging hundreds of dollars only to want a ship. I pledged for my 315p only because I wanted to support the game. I have no reason to complain though, those 'stupid' people are paying to realise the game I've always wanted.
Bolded here is incredibly offensive, and highly pretentious.

Don't shit on other people because they have different priorities than you. A couple hundred bucks may well be a drop in the bucket for a lot of people.

I'm not defending myself either, as I'm simply an original backer that swapped my Aurora for a Hornet because I wanted to use it in MP arena.

Daedardus

Bolded is based on literally nothing.

Playing the game is still the main goal for me. If the base player experience isn't satisfying, buying a larger ship won't help. So in that way, enjoying the game while not having to spend money is better anyway.

And I didn't mean to say that those people were really stupid (hyperbole lol), and I'm not complaining that they spend large amounts of money (it's theirs anyway) but this 'buying ships' thing that is going around negates the point of the game a bit, which should still be about playing.

Keasar

Bolded here is incredibly offensive, and highly pretentious.

Don't shit on other people because they have different priorities than you. A couple hundred bucks may well be a drop in the bucket for a lot of people.

I'm not defending myself either, as I'm simply an original backer that swapped my Aurora for a Hornet because I wanted to use it in MP arena.

Woody-Harrelson-Cries-And-Wipes-Money-In-Zombieland.gif

Sorry, but its hard to take that seriously. I am also guilty of spending money for the development of this game, getting a Hornet in the process, I will not however be above criticizing myself for doing it. Because it is, in the end, a digital space boat in a game where you will get them for free with probably some "minimal" work. :p

mkenyon

Banned
Playing the game is still the main goal for me. If the base player experience isn't satisfying, buying a larger ship won't help. So in that way, enjoying the game while not having to spend money is better anyway.

And I didn't mean to say that those people were really stupid (hyperbole lol), and I'm not complaining that they spend large amounts of money (it's theirs anyway) but this 'buying ships' thing that is going around negates the point of the game a bit, which should still be about playing.
Incredibly subjective here. To some, just playing the game and experiencing the emergent gameplay that is being a space dude is the game.

If day one, I can go in with some pals in a decently equipped squadron and just do what we want, that's pretty fucking rad. Needing to earn that in game is placing concepts of progression and MMOs in this that don't necessarily need to apply.

Oh my god. After the initial launch day I've sat down to play this twice, and each time I've had to let the thing sit there updating for over an hour like this is a damn MMO or something.

That's one slick-ass launcher, though. The Sci-Fi Bullshit as it's loading after you sign in, the way the music fades out when you select another window... very small touches but it makes for a hell of a first impression. (Until you have to stand up and make forty-five sandwiches until you can press the goddamn Start button.)

metalshade

Oh my god. After the initial launch day I've sat down to play this twice, and each time I've had to let the thing sit there updating for over an hour like this is a damn MMO or something.

Uh....it is....or at least it will be when its done :)
But yeah, this is pre-alpha, constant updates and patches are kinda the way these things work.

Zabojnik

I wonder what the GC demo will be all about. Planetside (Stanton III) seems like a safe bet. Maybe with some first-person combat thrown in? Or maybe the new hangar room system.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Fuck, I caved and bought the Constellation Package. What have I done??? I'm an idiot...

Still, the only money I'll pledge to this game...

You've enabled yourself to have a lot of fun and come along for the ride. Getting the physical rewards will be nice, too. I opted for the Hornet game package with physical rewards way back in 2012 because I'll be damned if I'm going to spend that much money and get nothing tangible to show for it that's not on a computer screen.

You got the Arena Commander pass, too, right?

Dezeer

I wonder what the GC demo will be all about. Planetside (Stanton III) seems like a safe bet. Maybe with some first-person combat thrown in? Or maybe the new hangar room system.

Hopefully this time around they will have some kind of video for backup when things go tits up.

You've enabled yourself to have a lot of fun and come along for the ride. Getting the physical rewards will be nice, too. I opted for the Hornet game package with physical rewards way back in 2012 because I'll be damned if I'm going to spend that much money and get nothing tangible to show for it that's not on a computer screen.

You got the Arena Commander pass, too, right?

Not yet, it wasn't part of the package and I didn't get it yet since Daedardus said the Constellation isn't flyable at the moment.

I was really done in by the ship which looks awesome (kinda reminds me of Prometheus) and the physical goodies I'll get from this package, but it was still quite a bit of dough.

If push comes to shove I may get the cheapest fighter just to fly around in Arena Commander (cue in phoenixyz)...

chrisroberts4zkj4.jpg

Daedardus

Not yet, it wasn't part of the package and I didn't get it yet since Daedardus said the Constellation isn't flyable at the moment.

Get it though! You'll get a Hornet as a loaner for the time. I was only commenting on the fact of getting a Constellation instead of a cheaper package.

Get it though! You'll get a Hornet as a loaner for the time. I was only commenting on the fact of getting a Constellation instead of a cheaper package.

Huh, thought I was going to have to get an Aurora for that. Was even thinking of getting the LN variant. Thanks for the info!

Daedardus

Huh, thought I was going to have to get an Aurora for that. Was even thinking of getting the LN variant. Thanks for the info!

Nope, you get a loaner closest to the packages you have at the moment. Once the Freelancer is flyable (it is planned to be the first flyable multi-crew ship), which may still take half a year at least, I think the Hornet gets swapped out for that.

And as of now, only the base variant of each ship is flyable. I have a 315p and have to fly a 300i instead.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Oh, yeah, everyone gets something to fly in Arena Commander, whether or not your ship is ready. As Daedardus said, as a Constellation owner, you'll get a Hornet.

Heck, I own a Hornet, Aurora and Avenger and they still gave me a flyable 300i to take the place of my Avenger (in addition to a flyable Hornet and Aurora)!

Hopefully this time around they will have some kind of video for backup when things go tits up.

You know they won't. Or they will, but the one computer they stored the video on will crash.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Oh, yeah, everyone gets something to fly in Arena Commander, whether or not your ship is ready. As Daedardus said, as a Constellation owner, you'll get a Hornet.

Heck, I own a Hornet, Aurora and Avenger and they still gave me a flyable 300i to take the place of my Avenger (in addition to a flyable Hornet and Aurora)!

You know they won't. Or they will, but the one computer they stored the video on will crash.

Yeah I have a Freelancer and a 325A and got an extra 300i and Hornet, too. :)

I hadn't flown with a joystick or played a space sim since the X-Wing / TIE-Fighter series ended with X-Wing Alliance. Still, it felt pretty awesome and it was quite nostalgic opening my new Logitech E3D Pro stick and flying around a bit in Elite Dangerous and in Arena Commander. Reminded me of my early teens...

Finally got to fly a bit with the loan Hornet in Arena Commander and I have a couple of questions for the rest of you guys. But haven't had much time due to work and real life getting in the way...

First, since I was used to X-Wing / TIE-Fighter series it still feels a bit strange to have roll in the X axis and yaw in the RZ (twist the stick) axis. I also saw that the cockpit flightstick animation didn't move to the sides with roll but it moved with yaw. Do you guys play with yaw or roll in the X axis? Is it possible to change yaw to X axis and roll to RZ axis in Arena Commander?

Second, the Hornet has the kind of cockpit I disliked in X-Wing / TIE-Fighter series, with low visibility due to it's design. I used to love flying in TIE-Fighters since they had much more glass then other crafts. From the images on the ship spec pages, it seems to me that the Aurora has that kind of cockpit design. Any other light crafts in SC have higher visibility? Which one has the highest and which ones do you like best?

Evrae

Banned
Can you rebind keys yet? Really didn't like the default setup for my X52 pro.

Not ingame, but you can set up your own xml profile.

It is a bit of a pain in the ass to do though, as you first have to unbind the things you don't want on your x52.

The bindings should come with the 13.0 release, so not that far off now.

First, since I was used to X-Wing / TIE-Fighter series it still feels a bit strange to have roll in the X axis and yaw in the RZ (twist the stick) axis. I also saw that the cockpit flightstick animation didn't move to the sides with roll but it moved with yaw. Do you guys play with yaw or roll in the X axis? Is it possible to change yaw to X axis and roll to RZ axis in Arena Commander?

Not sure if they changed it since a few patches ago, but you could open the console with the tilde key and type:

pp_rebindkeys layout_joystick_spacesim

That will invert the roll and yaw axes. The default in the game is of the flightsim variant, which is how it works in a regular plane. For those of us used to the space sim variant, it's the command above.

If that does nothing, ie. if it says the .xml file doesn't exist, you need to extract the layout_joystick_spacesim.xml file from the Starcitizen/CitizenClient/Data/GameData.pak, and once you open that up with WinRar (or whatever you use) navigate to /Libs/Config/layout_joystick_spacesim.xml

Extract the file, and place it into Starcitizen/CitizenClient/Data/Controls/Mappings

After that, boot the game up, and type pp_rebindkeys layout_joystick_spacesim

Additionally, if you want to rebind what the buttons do, you can read this post.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...454/guide-actionmap-and-controller-mapping/p1

As a backer of both Elite and SC, I gotta say I find dogfighting boring as hell in Elite. There's no sense of tension whatsoever since it's all getting on the six of that one lonely ship and staying there, which is very easy to do anyway.

Just tried one game of squadron battle on SC and it was much more up my alley. It felt fast and tense trailing the guys who were on my allies only to find someone had got on my tail. Bit of dodging around the station lost him and gained me the window I needed to finish off the guy I was after. Pity the other guy got my thrusters though, then my engines too. I ended up spinning with little control and no generator left to power my guns so I used the last of my missiles to assault the fleet that was picking off the last of my remains.

Don't get me wrong, I think both games will be great, but the combat in Elite is not going to be for everybody as I for one find it boring. Ships need to react to sub-system targeting before it's actually any fun for me.

Keasar

As a backer of both Elite and SC, I gotta say I find dogfighting boring as hell in Elite. There's no sense of tension whatsoever since it's all getting on the six of that one lonely ship and staying there, which is very easy to do anyway.

Just tried one game of squadron battle on SC and it was much more up my alley. It felt fast and tense trailing the guys who were on my allies only to find someone had got on my tail. Bit of dodging around the station lost him and gained me the window I needed to finish off the guy I was after. Pity the other guy got my thrusters though, then my engines too. I ended up spinning with little control and no generator left to power my guns so I used the last of my missiles to assault the fleet that was picking off the last of my remains.

Don't get me wrong, I think both games will be great, but the combat in Elite is not going to be for everybody as I for one find it boring. Ships need to react to sub-system targeting before it's actually any fun for me.

I had the opposite experience myself as I mentioned earlier. I like the tense flying in Elite as its all about carefully maneuvering around the enemy ships, while in Star Citizen it was just chaos as the ships have such fast turn speeds and so much automatic aiming it was pointless flying around to dodge the enemy shots and much better to act as a space turret. Maybe once in a while lazily strafe left or right to confuse the enemies a bit. Chasing enemies felt dull as everything is gimballed and I could just aim with my mouse if they tried to avoid my shooting. When looking from afar there were no chases going on, everyone just got into tight clusters and started shooting at each other until one blew up.

I felt like I was playing wrong yet it went pretty okay for me. I tried the tricks people here posted for me to change the flight controls and while they felt a lot better to what I wanted, I suddenly became practically useless in combat.

elseanio

Alpha is still broken on my gtx690. Forcing single gpu would make it playable, but now it's a complete glitchy mess regardless of what I do. Was hoping the latest patches would sort it out :(

elyetis

Seems to have more to do with the maps, and the fact that elite doesn't put people into a TDM experience, than the actual ships controls etc.

epmode

Much six degrees of freedom.

Such dogefighting.

So glad I went with Star Citizen.

This is a terrible post, in case you were wondering.

Elite has neat dogfighting options which aren't shown in that clip. Disable flight assist, lateral thrusters and the whole heat signature detection system.

Evrae

Banned
This is a terrible post, in case you were wondering.

Elite has neat dogfighting options which aren't shown in that clip. Disablight flight assist, lateral thrusters and the whole heat signature detection system.

Oh, I know, I was making a joke just as that guy, but I was also commenting seriously.

Elite is a great game, don't get me wrong, but it just can't compete with Star Citizen due to the budget and scope.

Star Citizen is simply the better game, and happens to play better due to the depth of simulation.

mkenyon

Banned
Alpha is still broken on my gtx690. Forcing single gpu would make it playable, but now it's a complete glitchy mess regardless of what I do. Was hoping the latest patches would sort it out :(
Have you tried messing with the SLI options in the NVIDIA control panel?

Lumicide

Banned
Much six degrees of freedom.

Such dogefighting.

So glad I went with Star Citizen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwVYc_iPAvg
Oh, I know, I was making a joke just as that guy, but I was also commenting seriously.

Elite is a great game, don't get me wrong, but it just can't compete with Star Citizen due to the budget and scope.

Star Citizen is simply the better game, and happens to play better due to the depth of simulation.
Besides the lack of an SP campaign, it doesn't seem like Elite's scope is planned to be any smaller than SC's. They are both going for a lot of the same goals, just going about them in different orders, and with Elite at 1:1 scale and SC more handcrafted but smaller.

And the "depth of simulation", I think both of the games run fairly dry pretty quickly on that front, with all the concessions they have to make for it to be a fun game with some attempt at dogfighting.

It could be real interesting if someone took a KSP route for this sort of game, where you'd have to do a giant time accelerated transfer orbit to another star, then having to find a way to refuel, dock, & interact, in the next solar system. I'm not sure how combat would work in that sort of game, if it would be any fun, or how you could accomplish that in a MP setting w/o losing the orbits.

Evrae

Banned
Oh shit, I knew jimmies would be rustled if I put forward that opinion.

I don't want to have the thread devolve into Elite vs. SC, which is the lowest common denominator for any thread dealing with one of those games.

I wish Elite all the best, it's a great game, and everyone knows having more good moneymaking space sims out there can only be a good thing, given how the genre abruptly died in 1999.

I just personally believe that Star Citizen's depth shows more promise, considering how little lead time they've had to get the Arena Commander up and running, versus how long Elite has been in development.

As I said, the depth of the simulation which no other game has really attempted, and Elite not even coming close on the micro level is just unsurpassed with Star Citizen. That's not to say they won't turn around tomorrow and fuck it all up by making godawful decisions when it comes to what they actually do with those simulations, but so far, just between the short patches of releasing AC to the first few thousand backers, until today, the gameplay has improved dramatically, with reference to just the flight model.

With the budget they've got going on, provided they don't blow it all on hookers and blow and miss manage it, or well, let's just say they manage it equally as well as Elite's developers, they've simply got more to work with to get things done faster and better.

It's just the more logical horse to be excited about. But if Elite can prove me wrong down the line, all the more power to it.

masterkajo

Finally I can play some multiplayer... ...

Well, out of 10+ attempts I was only able to get into 2 games. The rest of the time I just ended up in back in my hangar. Hope this gets better soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom