• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Constellation variants were shown in the latest Around the Verse Episode:

HWOuk7z.png

Speculation has it that:

Taurus = cargo variant, as it looks like the midsection may be extended some. Even if not it's the plainest of them all with no deployed turret. May also be the base variant in my opinion.

Andromeda = combat variant. The missile arms are deployed as do both turrets it seems (at least the top one, but the bottom also seems to be open even if the turret itself is occluded by the angle of the ship).

Aquila = exploration variant. This one's interesting as it has a different cockpit shape (that I like more than the standard wedge), but it would appear the upper turret has been replaced with an antenna array similar to the Freelancer DUR's enhanced sensors. Also possibly a command variant as it would also benefit from enhanced sensors.

Phoenix = limited luxury variant. Easy to identify by the window running over the top of the midsection, matching the... Er... Star-roof let's call it that the luxury variant pictures have shown.

They all look nice to me and while I was initially against lengthening the Connie I've come to realize I actually like it lengthened out more. Some overhead pictures and video of the original Connie made me realize it's far too squat. Not sure which variant I'll upgrade to, I'll have to wait until stats and stuff come out so I can see exactly what each is aiming to be capable of.

Zabojnik

The importance of "dogfighting" in space sims is kinda overrated anyway. There are quite a few popular space sims of the past in which the actual dogfighting was servicable at best. What "made" those games was the spectacular scope, the crazy battles with hordes of enemy fighters and cap ships, good mission design, wingmen/shield/systems management and the like. How the ship actually controlled and manoeuvred was, like, pretty low on the "fun" list.

With the amount of development and iteration going into the flight system, I'm sure SC will do just fine.

MrBig

Support was pretty awful for DK1 when I tried it, but I imagine it has improved some since then?

I don't have a DK so I can't give my experience, but I believe the original 'get it working' implementation used post process distortion due to a stereoscopic rendering issue with cryengine that has since been fixed.

elyetis

With the amount of development and iteration going into the flight system, I'm sure SC will do just fine.
I'm sure it will, thought i'd still like them to be a little faster at proving it to us by something as simple as an update to the IFCS/keybinding so we can finaly have a good 6 dof without using any toggle.

elseanio

Have you tried messing with the SLI options in the NVIDIA control panel?

Yeh, tried a variety of fixes I have seen posted about, but none get rid of the constant rainbow looking flickering. It's unplayable, which is annoying since hanger mode was perfect pre-AC.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeh, tried a variety of fixes I have seen posted about, but none get rid of the constant rainbow looking flickering. It's unplayable, which is annoying since hanger mode was perfect pre-AC.
Performance not good enough with one of the GPUs disabled?

I'm sure it will, thought i'd still like them to be a little faster at proving it to us by something as simple as an update to the IFCS/keybinding so we can finaly have a good 6 dof without using any toggle.

Well, "soon" after Gamescom we're getting the update with the racing mode and probably key bindings. I imagine there will be some speed/control tweaks in that build, cause I'm pretty sure a snail could beat my Aurora in a race. And yeah, the other ships are a bit faster, but everything could use a speed boost across the board.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I'm playing AC at 30fps with a computer that is below min spec. Disable SLI.

Oh my. That's faster than expected. I thought that'd come after gamescom.

Maybe the rubber banding problem took them so long to fix that they have a bunch of finished content backlogged. If so, awesome. Perhaps whatever they show at Gamescom won't be far from release to backers.

MedIC86

After reading a bit on the official forum and so forth, i was looking in buying into it. Im kinda shocked how slow development of this game is going (afaik they raised over 40 mln now) I know the scope is huge, but to an outsider it looks like they put the most effort into showing off new ships people can buy instead of showing new gameplay stuff really?....And also (if anyone knows) why do they have the planetside module first instead of something like singleplayer missions in space? could it be to ambitious in all what is trying to achieve?

Im kinda shocked how slow development of this game is going (afaik they raised over 40 mln now) I know the scope is huge, but to an outsider it looks like they put the most effort into showing off new ships people can buy instead of showing new gameplay stuff really?

It does appear that way yea. However, they have multiple teams over multiple studios working on different parts of the game in parallel. For example, there's an entirely different studio working on the single player content and we've seen almost nothing from them yet. Hopefully it'll come together quickly once they start integrating the work from everywhere.

....And also (if anyone knows) why do they have the planetside module first instead of something like singleplayer missions in space? could it be to ambitious in all what is trying to achieve?

The idea to have the planetside module after dogfighting was made in the early stages of the project. Things (most notably the funding) have changed since then. The single player campaign expanded to 50 missions as the funding increased. AFAIK, they are planning to release the campaign in sets of 5 missions at a time. Right now they have dogfighting and space flight up and running in some capacity so the single player team must be working on getting that first batch of missions out as soon as possible.

As for whether it's too ambitious... we can only speculate. Hopefully it will not falter.

MrBig

They want to start releasing single player missions by mid 2015 and wrap it by mid-late 2016, before the PU enters beta.

KKRT00

And also (if anyone knows) why do they have the planetside module first instead of something like singleplayer missions in space? could it be to ambitious in all what is trying to achieve?
Because its connected. For example first mission in the campaign will have have fight in space and fps fight in mining station, and on the space station in zero G.

They need release systems first and test them, before they will be able to implement them fully to the campaign.
Also Chris Robert said that wont release SP mission before they will be completely polish, because they have only one chance for first impression for SP campaign and it must be right.

Please read any monthly report, it should make clear to You what different studios are working on.

After reading a bit on the official forum and so forth, i was looking in buying into it. Im kinda shocked how slow development of this game is going (afaik they raised over 40 mln now) I know the scope is huge, but to an outsider it looks like they put the most effort into showing off new ships people can buy instead of showing new gameplay stuff really?....And also (if anyone knows) why do they have the planetside module first instead of something like singleplayer missions in space? could it be to ambitious in all what is trying to achieve?

If you are looking for a space sim that's on track for release soon and looks awesome let me point you to: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=845543 . Star Citizen isn't coming out anytime soon and has more than enough money already, so don't bother asking too much about what is going on in the project.

Prediction for Gamescom:

1. COnnie Reveal with commercial
2. Reveal of Racing mode, comes in patch the next day
3. FPS walk through, no release
4. Long term tease of something BIG

Keasar

Prediction for Gamescom:

I think they confirmed that the FPS part would get its reveal, as would be the mystery studio making it.

elyetis

Prediction for Gamescom:

I hope we at least get a general idea about when to expect more ship(S) inside Arena commander, IFCS update, content etc..
I'm not asking about multi crew ships, or fps portion, inside AC, I don't expect them this year. But I'm still hopping for 0.9 being not too far and 1.0 before the end of the year.

AC is their current available 'product' they need to show some focus on it 'PR' wise.

Prediction for Gamescom:

I believe it's been said we'll see something that Foundry 42 have been working on. My bet? Capital ship systems and the Idris. Not sure about any actual FPS shooting though as while it was initially planned for Gamescon they've moved the FPS reveal to PAX Australia.

Sentenza

Sorry, didn't follow the development for a while, so can someone summarize briefly what this "racing mode" I'm constantly reading about is supposed to be?

epmode

Sorry, didn't follow the development for a while, so can someone summarize briefly what this "racing mode" I'm constantly reading about is supposed to be?

No one knows for sure. I expect some kind of race course with gates that must be flown through. Something to force people to learn the intricacies of the flight model and the different flight modes.

Sentenza

No one knows for sure. I expect some kind of race course with gates that must be flown through. Something to force people to learn the intricacies of the flight model and the different flight modes.
Sounds like the X-Wing/Tie fighter time trial style.

I had the same prob on my GTX 590. Put the rendering to "single gpu". That fixed it for the most part but killed the performance. Im really just going to have to upgrade my card soon. Get a 780 or something when the 800s hit. Nice standard card, im done with having to adjust settings all the time with games that lack SLI support.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

I'm interested to see what they do there. There's a lot of potential to do something unique with 6 degrees of freedom. I expect people think about racing as being mostly horizontally oriented, like traditional car racing or air flight, but they could be 3D courses. Nasty trickery like navigating the interior of a huge wreck and losing your sense of direction.

Imagine doing a few of these back to back to get around a series of vertical hairpin turns:
rc-immelmann-turn.gif

and then doing that competitively, trying to hang on to your racing line - but in 3D.

MrBig

They showed a clip of the racing test on a recent video - it was in atmosphere, so this isn't the full, intricate Winston Cup they're planning to do. It'll probably be very similar to the red bull air races.

Zabojnik

Sounds awesome.

It does indeed. Put in crazy obstacles, allow for different racing classes (based on specific ships and/or control options ("IFSC off"), make engine upgrading / overclocking / tinkering an essential part of it all ... Should be great fun.

I can't help but think racing is going to feel underwhelming. Maybe cause all I have is an Aurora Space Snail.

Also...

10007027_710484389004850_4018017753018066374_n.jpg

I really hope there's some vertical complexity in these race courses. And some tight twists and turns. Ooh how about that chase scene on Coruscant in Episode II. Yeah like that.

Effect

I think I've finally had enough. Arena commander has been a frustrating and miserable experience no matter what I try to do outside of the bot mode and that simply isn't fun after a few runs. I'm tired of getting rammed all the damn time or seeing a missile lock as soon as I respawn. Having to wait until someone decides to kill him or I crash into something as the Aurora has no eject system designed. All the other issues surrounding the game have been eating away at me since buying the package but tonight was my limit. If this is at all a hint at what pvp will be like (due to how things control) in the final game I want no part of it. If the PvE/PvP slider idea is still in I'm likely going to have it fully on PvE. Rather deal with npcs. I don't need this type of frustration.

So I've just uninstalled everything. Going to make a note near my PC so I'll remember I actually have a package so whenever this thing is finally ready for retail I'll remember to check it out. Actually considering exchanging the arena commander pass for credit as it's worthless I feel given the state of things. Rather have the $5 dollars back all together so I'm just out $45 instead of $50 but oh well. Might be more worthwhile to put it toward the sound track (I did like the music I did hear in AC) or the map.

SnowTeeth

Banned
I think I've finally had enough. Arena commander has been a frustrating and miserable experience no matter what I try to do outside of the bot mode and that simply isn't fun after a few runs. I'm tired of getting rammed all the damn time or seeing a missile lock as soon as I respawn. Having to wait until someone decides to kill him or I crash into something as the Aurora has no eject system designed. All the other issues surrounding the game have been eating away at me since buying the package but tonight was my limit. If this is at all a hint at what pvp will be like (due to how things control) in the final game I want no part of it. If the PvE/PvP slider idea is still in I'm likely going to have it fully on PvE. Rather deal with npcs. I don't need this type of frustration.

So I've just uninstalled everything. Going to make a note near my PC so I'll remember I actually have a package so whenever this thing is finally ready for retail I'll remember to check it out. Actually considering exchanging the arena commander pass for credit as it's worthless I feel given the state of things. Rather have the $5 dollars back all together so I'm just out $45 instead of $50 but oh well. Might be more worthwhile to put it toward the sound track (I did like the music I did hear in AC) or the map.

It's pre-alpha. What do you expect?

I'd say give it time, as you know it's pre-alpha, but it seems like you've already made up your mind.

Effect

It's pre-alpha. What do you expect?

I'd say give it time, as you know it's pre-alpha, but it seems like you've already made up your mind.

I understand the game is still in development but I've never accepted the term "pre-alpha" as a defense for how things are. To just explain away things. Once money changes hands things are open to criticism regardless of the design stage. Doubly so when a refund is refused. It's the mechanics that they've setup that partly concern me. Right down to the horrible UI. Things that should actually be straight forward at a early phase that has things added to it as time goes on. I can't tell if it's simply the talent pool they have or it comes back to them trying to rewrite CryEngine to do things it likely was never intended to do.

Have I made up my mind? Perhaps. I don't believe at all the end result will be what is being promised. Not anymore. I don't think this will be coming out anytime soon in the next two years either. Nor do I have much faith overall. Perhaps I'm just bitter that I'm stuck with the entire thing and would be more forgiving if I had an out...I don' t know. I just how how frustrated I am currently regarding it.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I understand the game is still in development but I've never accepted the term "pre-alpha" as a defense for how things are. To just explain away things. Once money changes hands things are open to criticism regardless of the design stage. Doubly so when a refund is refused. It's the mechanics that they've setup that partly concern me. Right down to the horrible UI. Things that should actually be straight forward at a early phase that has things added to it as time goes on. I can't tell if it's simply the talent pool they have or it comes back to them trying to rewrite CryEngine to do things it likely was never intended to do.

Have I made up my mind? Perhaps. I don't believe at all the end result will be what is being promised. Not anymore. I don't think this will be coming out anytime soon in the next two years either. Nor do I have much faith overall. Perhaps I'm just bitter that I'm stuck with the entire thing and would be more forgiving if I had an out...I don' t know. I just how how frustrated I am currently regarding it.

It's pre-alpha.

The game isn't coming out until 2018. YOU chose to test a pre-alpha version, you didn't have to pay for it yet.

MrBig

I have not heard of CIG refusing a refund. Contact customer service and request one if you haven't already, just let them know you weren't fully aware of what you were getting in to. Please do check back later - putting up with everything at this stage is understandably not for everyone.

KKRT00

If You dont like paying for stuff that is work in progress, dont pay for it.
From the first day of the campaign and presentation on GDC, Chris Roberts was saying that they want to get as early feedback from community as possible and will share stuff with players from the beginning, which exactly means that You will be seeing unfinished or broken features, which You would not see in normal, publisher based development.

Evrae

Banned
I understand the game is still in development but I've never accepted the term "pre-alpha" as a defense for how things are. To just explain away things.

It's not an argument.

It doesn't "explain away things".

It is the physical manifestation of the product.

It is in pre-alpha.

That means completely changeable from patch to patch.

Shit, just between the 12.0 and 12.5 patches, the flight mechanics were overhauled drastically.

And you can expect them to change in the same fashion at every bigger milestone.

Most of your complaints have to do with shit that we already know aren't going to be the way they are now.

Widge

I understand the game is still in development but I've never accepted the term "pre-alpha" as a defense for how things are.

Usually, you'd be vindicated in the cynicism thanks to the trend of "beta = demo" that we've been exposed to. In this case, SC is truly pre-alpha. They are giving you chunks of unfinished game that is continually getting overhauled. Not releasing a game and giving it post-release support, you're literally getting your hands on the sketch pad.

I *do* think they have bitten off more than they can chew, but I do get it is pre-alpha. Interested to see development. I find games that are too advanced for their time often end up becoming outdated by the time they are finalised because the continual flow of less ambitious titles iterate innovations past where the behemoth has planted its goal.

elyetis

Your rejection of that term doesn't make it less of a fact.
Not really, choosing that term to define Arena commander is very much a PR choice to protect it from criticism. The way it's release was handled ( delay for the sake of polish, etc... they said it themselves ), put just another level of expectation, whatever the state in developement of the final product ( != module ). And the way they handle patch is the same, no separate dev branch/nightly build, big patch, they test before, only giving pretty much finalized content ( I very much doubt, they don't actually work on ships inside their pre alpha build, even before they have destruction done, etc.. ) etc.. by all mean Arena commander is handled like a separate complet product, they don't really let us have our hand that dirty.

And while I'm not as pessimist as Effect ( about the -very- far future of the game ), pretty much every single step is taking more time than expected, from the AC release, to the multiplayer access soft launch, pretty much the same content wise ( well we did end up having a new mod so there is that I guess ), and I'm not even sure we can expect to see anything new about things which created a huge amount of reaction like the control scheme/IFCS in a matter a months.

Do people still think that AC 2.0 isn't between 4 and 6 month behind schedule/won't make it for the end of the year like it was supposed to ( while we might have 1.0 by then ? ). And while they do are very transparent on many things, do we have any official word on those aspect of Arena commander ? do most people have the slighlest idea about when to expect their given ship to make it inside the module ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom