• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Will this game support Track IR ?

Oculus is nice and all but long time gaming could be a bit too harsh on our poor minds and with a A-10 warthog HOTAS, not seeing all the buttons could be a big painful. For sure i want oculus rift if almost solely for this game but for casual playing, i hope trackIR is supported.

Will this game support Track IR ?

Oculus is nice and all but long time gaming could be a bit too harsh on our poor minds and with a A-10 warthog HOTAS, not seeing all the buttons could be a big painful. For sure i want oculus rift if almost solely for this game but for casual playing, i hope trackIR is supported.

yes. In fact, I think it was recently reiterrated (for like the 6th millionth time) in a recent "10 for the Chairman" episode.

epmode

$38M letter is up: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13550-Letter-From-The-Chairman-38-Million

ghost world unlocked I think

It was so close that they're just making both.

Our final star system poll was the closest we’ve ever run, with only a few votes separating the Tevarin Ghost World and the Lost Human Colony. Since it sounds like Star Citizen’s backers are equally excited about both concepts, we’ve decided to break the rules and include both concepts!

1cmanny1

Hopefully the next one won't be a poll. Eventually they are going to make all the options anyway, so it seems pointless to me.

epmode

Hopefully the next one won't be a poll. Eventually they are going to make all the options anyway, so it seems pointless to me.

Most of the stretch goals since the initial campaign finished have been kind of pointless. It's publicity. The next one sounds interesting though:

That’s it for the additional star system stretch goals. At $39 million, we’ll announce a new goal that will help chart the course for the future of Star Citizen in a different way… and it’s one I’m personally very excited about, so be sure to check back then and learn more!

d0g_bear

good news!

Chris Roberts said:
That’s it for the additional star system stretch goals. At $39 million, we’ll announce a new goal that will help chart the course for the future of Star Citizen in a different way… and it’s one I’m personally very excited about, so be sure to check back then and learn more!

beat

Tommyhawk

The Banu MM really looks dope!
I'm glad that I grabbed myself one when it was possible.

Banu_merchantman_side_Version_A.jpg

Banu_merchantman_side_Version_A_callout.jpg

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
On Wingman's Hangar today, Eric Peterson mentioned that there are new development studios that have partnered up on Star Citizen but he couldn't give the names of yet, and said something about there being more modules that haven't been announced yet.

I wonder what that's all about.

And if I may be cynical for a moment, I'm not sure they should add more modules when they're already having trouble getting out their second module, and their first module is sparsely updated and only includes half the content (and by content, I mean pledge ships) that it's supposed to have. But what do I know.

phoenixyz

when they're already having trouble getting out their second module, and their first module is sparsely updated and only includes half the content (and by content, I mean pledge ships) that it's supposed to have.
Doesn't mean much as they work on the modules in parallel.

MrBig

And if I may be cynical for a moment, I'm not sure they should add more modules when they're already having trouble getting out their second module, and their first module is sparsely updated and only includes half the content (and by content, I mean pledge ships) that it's supposed to have. But what do I know.

If you're familiar with how traditional game dev works, think of modules as development milestones. Hangar module was the first deliverable - they got the game in a state functional enough to be played outside of a dev environment. Dogfighting module will be the first gameplay vertical slice: minimum mechanics working to make the basics of some systems fully playable. Extrapolate that for each successive module. Not having and reaching reaching milestones would be a big problem, though these being publicly available is not necessary - though fantastic for morale, PR, and getting additional funding.

As for the delays, we've seen the DFM. We know it's working, we know it looks pretty good. Its release is waiting on other systems to be implemented, a network system that would otherwise not need to be finished until about a year from now. That is what is important imo, that we know that they are doing good work and progressing on development, not necessarily that we're play it right now. Now this wouldn't be the case if they weren't so open and just said it was delayed and shyed away, instead of asking the community if they wanted them to spend their money, effort, and time into developing a release that in the long run was only a detractor (original plan for small scale DFM not being based on the actual SC systems would require additional dev that would eventually be tossed anyway + inferior and unrepresentative player experience).

XPE

On Wingman's Hangar today, Eric Peterson mentioned that there are new development studios that have partnered up on Star Citizen but he couldn't give the names of yet, and said something about there being more modules that haven't been announced yet.

FPS module I think would be one of them.

The DFM is a very big part of the game they need to get it right before they release it as it will be the first introduction people will have to the gameplay.

Maybe a new studio working on seamless space to planet flight focusing on procedural stuff for later after the game is released. That's been my dream for this game since it was announced so it would be cool if he said that they started work on it even if its not going to be available for launch

Zabojnik

Maybe a new studio working on seamless space to planet flight focusing on procedural stuff for later after the game is released. That's been my dream for this game since it was announced so it would be cool if he said that they started work on it even if its not going to be available for launch

Well, Star Citizen is a Q4 2017 game, so who knows, if it's announced - which it won't be, as they have enough on their plate as it is - it just might be available for launch.

This is a dream of mine. No loading screens, having to go through atmosphere. etc...

Tommyhawk

This is a dream of mine. No loading screens, having to go through atmosphere. etc...

Looks like your dream might come true at some point:

"And then doing things like investing in sort of longer-term graphical performance research and we’re also investing in some procedural stuff. I can afford to have a team that is just doing some procedural work in research."

http://gamingbolt.com/star-citizen-...ts-on-building-a-space-simulator-for-the-ages

This also sounds pretty cool:

Ravi Sinha: Will most of the exploration take place via ships? Or do you have other plans for expanding on first person exploration?

Chris Roberts: Definitely ships exploring space but now that we’ve got greater funding, I will also invest some money into building some sort of on-site exploration stuff. If you follow some of the stuff we had with the character Tonya Oriel but she’s like sort of a historian/archaeologist/space explorer. I kind of want situations like that where you go to a planet and then there’s this deserted alien city and you can go down and exploring or spelunking and find some artefacts. So we’re definitely going to build a few things like that. I think it will be a lot of fun.

And another hint at the procedural generation stuff:

Thursday 11:10 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.: "procedural gen of solar systems, planets & asteroids"

http://imgur.com/2N724Nj

Keasar

I hope to get a chance to spacewalk and explore derelict ships, stations etc. for resources and whatnot.

bushwhacked086.jpg

Would be so cool.

KKRT00

I hope to get a chance to spacewalk and explore derelict ships, stations etc. for resources and whatnot.

bushwhacked086.jpg

Would be so cool.

Thats pretty much a given.
Hell You will not only be exploring in zero gravity ship, but You will be fighting in zero gravity conditions!

-------
And another hint at the procedural generation stuff:

Thursday 11:10 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.: "procedural gen of solar systems, planets & asteroids"

http://imgur.com/2N724Nj

Nice: 10:05
Lighting solutions
Aliasing

and below

Fluid dynamics and volumetrics :O

MrBig

Is it too late to fund this? I wouldn't mind throwing some money into this sucker.

The game is funded, but you can still effectively pre-order it or get testing access. Otherwise wait until 2015.
Q. What "package" should I buy?
A. The game itself is $30, that is the Aurora MR package. Alpha/beta testing access is available in $40+ packages, eg the Digital Merc pack. Anything else is an entirely optional donation you can make to CIG, so if you want to give them more money I'm sure you can find an appropriate package.

SmartBase

Well a friend of mine has pretty much convinced me to pledge, but now I'm stuck choosing between the Avenger or 325A. Doesn't help that the hangars they come with are different.

kudoboi

i might back it but microtrans is stopping me from doing it. i don't feel like supporting a game that would allow people to buy ships with real cash

SmartBase

Get the cheaper one. You can always melt down the original package and upgrade to the more expensive one.

There's only a 5 dollar difference. Are these pledge hangars permanent or do you have to lease them in the full game? Can't seem to find specific info.

masterkajo

Well a friend of mine has pretty much convinced me to pledge, but now I'm stuck choosing between the Avenger or 325A. Doesn't help that the hangars they come with are different.

I did just pledge for an Aurora MR+ package which comes with Alpha and Beta access. Down the line I will surely "melt" my package to get the money back and invest in a ship of my liking. For me, there is still a lot of information missing to make an adequate ship decision yet.

i might back it but microtrans is stopping me from doing it. i don't feel like supporting a game that would allow people to buy ships with real cash

You are actually supporting the development of the game and as a reward you get a ship. I know it is basically buy a ship... This will stop though once the game gets released. Having a bigger and "better" doesn't mean you are better than someone in the starting ship that can actually fly and handle his ship perfectly. It has been said a lot that it is not a pay2win game.

epmode

There's only a 5 dollar difference. Are these pledge hangars permanent or do you have to lease them in the full game? Can't seem to find specific info.

All hangar fees are supposedly waived for anything acquired before launch. What those fees entail when it comes to purchasing new hangars and ships is anybody's guess, though. The game is still a long way out.

phoenixyz

Well, that will only last for the pledge campaign. After the game is live that won't be possible anymore.

Well, that will only last for the pledge campaign. After the game is live that won't be possible anymore.

They've publicly said they will allow people to pay cash for in-game currency. They will limit the amounts, but there will still be elements of pay to win.

Yes, all players can grind to make money and unlock the items that people could buy with real cash (by converting, or buying in a pledge), but it still allows people willing to pay to skip ahead of other people and have an advantage.

I'm looking forward to this game very much, but I am also aware of the flaws it has, including allow any real life cash to be transferred into the game (which is a huge mistake, in my mind).

MrBig

They've publicly said they will allow people to pay cash for in-game currency. They will limit the amounts, but there will still be elements of pay to win.

Yes, all players can grind to make money and unlock the items that people could buy with real cash (by converting, or buying in a pledge), but it still allows people willing to pay to skip ahead of other people and have an advantage.

I'm looking forward to this game very much, but I am also aware of the flaws it has, including allow any real life cash to be transferred into the game (which is a huge mistake, in my mind).

There's nothing to skip ahead to, there is no end game or levels. If this game is not fun to play in itself then no lack of being able to use money to supplement play will change anything.

epmode

I'm concerned about this as well. The best point in our favor is that a system that is too geared to whales will be shouted down by the very people who funded the entire game.

phoenixyz

He talked about buying ships, that was what I answered to.

edit: Also, the microtransaction thing will make or break this game. It's more of a risk than the feature creep imho.

SmartBase

I did just pledge for an Aurora MR+ package which comes with Alpha and Beta access. Down the line I will surely "melt" my package to get the money back and invest in a ship of my liking. For me, there is still a lot of information missing to make an adequate ship decision yet.

You are actually supporting the development of the game and as a reward you get a ship. I know it is basically buy a ship... This will stop though once the game gets released. Having a bigger and "better" doesn't mean you are better than someone in the starting ship that can actually fly and handle his ship perfectly. It has been said a lot that it is not a pay2win game.

All hangar fees are supposedly waived for anything acquired before launch. What those fees entail when it comes to purchasing new hangars and ships is anybody's guess, though. The game is still a long way out.

Hmm...Well I went for the Avenger package since it was cheaper than the 325A and came with longer insurance and a much nicer hangar. Now it's just a matter of waiting.

Vlodril

how is buying ships different from any other mmo ever. You just spend money to buy in game currency. This way the at least cut the middleman and keep the profits themselves.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Made a pledge for a 325a

Couldnt resist anymore. This game could potentially change the face of PC gaming in the future.

Top Bottom