• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

epmode

I'm reading up on this game and I'm probably gonna get it today or next week, it looks fantastic.

But are the concept arts based on celebrities?

It's possible. A few of the concept guys start with copy/pasted IRL photographs. It's faster than starting from scratch.

MrBig

I'm reading up on this game and I'm probably gonna get it today or next week, it looks fantastic.

But are the concept arts based on celebrities?

This guy really looks like Ian Somerhalder:

With concept art the goal is often to design things as quickly as possible, thus instead of spending lots of time drawing, photo reference and textures are used in designs. Why spend time drawing some guys head when the point of the exploration is to figure out how a privateer's costume might look like? The "model" the clothing is designed over is of no importance and was likely found via a google search like "scruffy male"

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I agree that a 3D radar is a bad idea on a monitor (I would prefer an X-Wing style disc radar, with 2 discs). But with an Oculus Rift on...you'd be able to actually sense the depth of the dots on the 3D radar.

This would work beautifully as long as the device has sufficient resolution.

Pachimari

With concept art the goal is often to design things as quickly as possible, thus instead of spending lots of time drawing, photo reference and textures are used in designs. Why spend time drawing some guys head when the point of the exploration is to figure out how a privateer's costume might look like? The "model" the clothing is designed over is of no importance and was likely found via a google search like "scruffy male"

I just thought it was cool as I'm a fan of The Vampire Diaries. That's all.

Grief.exe

They must have had a ton of gear donated.

I noticed a bunch of garbage headsets from Astro and Razer as well as a massive amount of Razer peripherals.

elseanio

I'm in. I've went for Business Hanger and Origin 300i.

45LhKn3.jpg

masterkajo

I'm in. I've went for Business Hanger and Origin 300i.

Nice! I already have an Aurora MR but I am thinking of upgrading to a Cutlass. The ship is such a beauty in its utilitarian simple design. Though over $100 is pretty much for a game. Maybe I can convice myself it is a super über special edition.

elseanio

Nice! I already have an Aurora MR but I am thinking of upgrading to a Cutlass. The ship is such a beauty in its utilitarian simple design. Though over $100 is pretty much for a game. Maybe I can convice myself it is a super über special edition.

I love that I can get full refunds at the moment. I will probably change my mind again in a couple days
KuGsj.gif
(Initially started with Aurura MR pack)

I love the Freelancer, but $125 is way more than I want to spend at this point. (hell, $85 is more than I wanted to spend!)

Blizzard

Banned
High CPU utilization is a very good thing, I'd be impressed if SC was as efficient as that.
In a game, I would suggest it depends if the CPU is being used doing useful things, or if it is running inefficient code. :p In some situations (CPU-limited), lowering your CPU usage might give you higher framerate, and as we all know, higher framerate is important for virtual reality applications!

MrBig

In a game, I would suggest it depends if the CPU is being used doing useful things, or if it is running inefficient code. :p In some situations (CPU-limited), lowering your CPU usage might give you higher framerate, and as we all know, higher framerate is important for virtual reality applications!

When Planetside 2 was first being tested CPU utilization was only at around 40% on 4 threaded CPUs, as it was quite unoptimized and pretty much everything ran off a single thread - it ended up being extremely CPU limited. It wasn't until they overhauled the engine to split the game's systems into multiple threads and attain much high CPU utilization that performance ended up being acceptable for many people. With its many dynamic entities, SC would be in a similar situation, splitting everything up and keeping the CPU busy feeding the GPU with all its resources will be essential. With PS2 you could get high framerates with just a great CPU, but with SC you'll need both a great CPU and a great GPU.

Dezeer

We need Star Citizen WebMs. Just saying.

Something like this?
http://dezeer.kapsi.fi/starcitizen/Star_Citizen_Hornet_Commercial_Launch_3.webm

Edit:
Maybe something chirpy?
http://dezeer.kapsi.fi/starcitizen/introducing_the_2944_aurora.webm

There isn't that much content (that would be .webm worthy). And I can't really contain myself to only take some 10 second clip, like only the launching sequence of aurora and to have no space flight.

Edit 2: Both videos have sound also.

So close to Thursday's reveal! Hopefully we can get a thread title change and an updated OP to celebrate. :D

Should have my Saitek X55 coming "soon". Saitek is apparently still waiting on the shipment from the factory before they can ship them out to us.

I'm also considering getting the Obutto R3volution. My current desk is very small and my chair is getting old, so this could replace them both. Plus, it would make playing Star Citizen awesome!

If I get it, I'm already fearing having to move it to my new place in 2.5 months. It apparently weighs like 180 lbs.

So close to Thursday's reveal! Hopefully we can get a thread title change and an updated OP to celebrate. :D

Should have my Saitek X55 coming "soon". Saitek is apparently still waiting on the shipment from the factory before they can ship them out to us.

I'm also considering getting the Obutto R3volution. My current desk is very small and my chair is getting old, so this could replace them both. Plus, it would make playing Star Citizen awesome!

If I get it, I'm already fearing having to move it to my new place in 2.5 months. It apparently weighs like 180 lbs.

I think getting a rift would be a better experience than a triple screen setup, I was debating the same thing but already having a tm warthog would make the rift a better experience than more monitors for me. The drawback is just waiting for the consumer version to come out as I'm sure the DFM is going to have both devkit rift support and triple monitor setups when it launches but if you can't wait, just go for it. I read that a dev said that the new HUD is pretty kick ass on a setup like that.

MrBig

I'll post a new OT when the DFM is released, but it'd probably be a good idea for someone to make a thread for the pax presentation as well.

For the next OT I want to make it simpler - would anyone like to give any critiques about the current one?

elyetis

Crossing finger that there will be more than the Hornet for the DFM release.

And that all those nasty bug we saw doesn't mean still weeks to wait for said release.

That said, it looked incredible ( my god on the triple screen setup... ).

elyetis

It was pretty much hinted at that the Hornet, 300i and Aurora will be flyable at the DFM release (+ the Scythe as an enemy AI ship for the horde mode).
That would definitly be a very good start.

Thought I hope my Avenger won't take too long to get in there too, I really want to see how different it actually feel compared to the 300i.

Daedardus

I believe the devs are running in debug mode, which adds a huge overhead and may worsen random hiccups.

Also, they are running in SMAA at "VeryHigh". If you tone down some graphical effects, you don't have to worry about being able to run this. That said, the framerate may still be unstable at times, but that is something that will be ironed out once they get to work on the engine more.

epmode

Well, I'll be at the presentation tonight. Here's hoping it'll be a good time!

When was the last time we saw anything new? Seems to me they havent showed anything in several months

They've shown a lot of brand new stuff in Wingman's Hangar since January. Far more than we ever saw in the last year. The last month has been slow because they're all on the dogfighting module.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Crossing finger that there will be more than the Hornet for the DFM release.

I think we'll get to fly the Hornet and the Aurora. According to the monthly reports, they've only worked on PBR and damage states for those two ships (plus the Scythe, but apparently they haven't worked on animations for that ship, so it can't be flown yet, only fought against).

We'll probably get the 300i and Avenger a few weeks later once they've finished the damage states (and PBR for the 300i, since the Avenger was PBRed last year).

KKRT00

I believe the devs are running in debug mode, which adds a huge overhead and may worsen random hiccups.

Also, they are running in SMAA at "VeryHigh". If you tone down some graphical effects, you don't have to worry about being able to run this. That said, the framerate may still be unstable at times, but that is something that will be ironed out once they get to work on the engine more.

Spec is VeryHigh, so it has the highest quality graphical features enabled, but SMAA is only 2Tx.

Daedardus

Spec is VeryHigh, so it has the highest quality graphical features enabled, but SMAA is only 2Tx.

Oh, yeah I knew that. I meant they ran SMAA on top of it the general graphics being VeryHigh. And I actually don't know what the performance impact of their SMAA is, but normally it shouldn't be noticeable at all.

Top Bottom