• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero & Guard - Review Thread

Wildean

Why are people complaining about the campaign length? Binding of Isaac Rebirth might be my favorite game ever and its campaign is one hour long...and you replay it and get good at it and unlock more features until you've played it 150+ hours like I have.

Star Fox has always been about score attack and finding the perfect route to get the most points. It's like some of you have never played an arcade rail shooter before.

SF64 3D was the first Star Fox game I owned. Many reviews complained it was too short. I sunk like 100 hours into it.

All I remember is him not liking Bayonetta 2 for its fanservice and I had to tune it out so much.

Going to listen to Andre since I actually respect him.

Don't forget his rather unfortunate Vanquish or Dark Souls reviews. To be honest, I'm not super-excited for this game either (still going to wait for more impressions) but no one should ever take Gies's opinion seriously on any game; he really doesn't know what he's talking about.

VariantX

ITT: People can't handle the fact that different people have different opinions on games. Is it always like that in review threads? It's unbelievable...

Considering there's a 20+ page thread on a single angry joe review, yes it is almost always like that and no, some people cannot understand that people have different tastes, opinions, or experiences with games.

Nerrel

Star Fox was never that good and we were all blinded by nostalgia ?

I was really bothered by that sentiment in some of the reviews. Sin and Punishment 2 came out not too long ago and it fucking ruled. On-rails games can still be amazing on modern systems. Why reviewers condemned the genre itself when this game was obviously a weak attempt is beyond me.

Hilarion

The experiences of playing Issac over and over and Star Fox over and over are nothing alike.

I got gold medals on every mission on Expert difficulty in Star Fox 64 (and unlocking Expert requires you to get gold medals on every mission on Normal). The entire point of a rail shooter is to play through each stage enough that you memorize every enemy pattern and obstacle in the game and develop the reflexes to overcome all of them without even consciously thinking about it. You simply cannot do that in a game that lasts longer than one sitting to get through the campaign. Star Fox would not work with a campaign over 2-3 hours. It'd be far too much to memorize.

Geg

This thread's pretty tame compared to some others.

Yeah most of the more extreme posts in this thread are about Polygon's non-review. Otherwise I'm seeing a lot of "I expected review scores to be divisive, I don't care I'll still buy it, etc"

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Welcome to every review thread ever. Fanboys will do and say anything to invalidate negative review scores.

It goes both ways in my opinion. There's a lot of people liking the games yet a lot of gaffers already decided the game is utter shit without touching it. What's wrong with differing opinions?

L Thammy

Sincerely curious, when was that?

Before Nintendogs, Famitsu had a reputation for being extremely harsh. If you look at how often they give perfect scores, I'm forgetting the statistic, but it's something like as many as had had given from the '80s to Nintendogs where given in the three years following.

Why are people complaining about the campaign length? Binding of Isaac Rebirth might be my favorite game ever and its campaign is one hour long...and you replay it and get good at it and unlock more features until you've played it 150+ hours like I have.

Star Fox has always been about score attack and finding the perfect route to get the most points. It's like some of you have never played an arcade rail shooter before.
How is Isaac and Star Fox alike at all?

maxcriden

mid 2000s was when they started to shift from memory.

N64/Cube era. They used to be well-known for being stingy with high scores. It was a big fucking deal when Ocarina of Time was the highest (and first perfectly) score game by them at the time

Before Nintendogs, Famitsu had a reputation for being extremely harsh. If you look at how often they give perfect scores, I'm forgetting the statistic, but it's something like as many as had had given from the '80s to Nintendogs where given in the three years following.

Gotcha, thanks gents. And to think, Nintendogs would receive that same accolade just 7 yrs or so later...

tumblr_m3tipo75qi1r4yzs3o1_500.gif

ARF ARF ARF!

Glowsquid

The reviews (both journos and youtube amateurs) seem to be unanimous in decrying the Gyrowing as the worst part of the game. I'm sure I'll like the game overal, but the Gyrowing seemed really boring in preview footage, and it's unfortunate to have that impression confirmed.

antitrop

LOL at least he's straightforward about it.

He's not the biggest fan of Platinum. This is the guy who thinks Vanquish only reviewed well because of a concerted effort on games media to make up for the poor reviews of God Hand. The "God Hand Conspiracy", if you will.

SCChappy

Banned
honestly, this sounds to me like a game that everybody is going to feel differently about

im a huge star fox fan myself but i cant judge it until i play it because of it being so divisive

Seeing the Polygon non-review brought a smile to my face because I figured this thread was going to be actively on fire. This is way more tame than I expected.

I'd also call it legit to give a game a score that you haven't finished, if you feel you've seen enough to give a solid recommendation. It shouldn't be the standard though.

Brinbe

Not surprised. Nothing about this has looked good or inspired at all. I don't think it's Star Fox as a franchise either. They just put out a shitty game.

AdanVC

That's the problem. This game is more like Star Fox 64.5 than a new experience. Nintendo thinks they can always get away with including lot's of nostalgia punch into their games but people is getting tired of that since it's a step back when it comes to experience new stuff into Nintendo games. Sure they add innovative gameplay mixes but it's simply not enough on this era anymore.

It goes both ways in my opinion. There's a lot of people liking the games yet a lot of gaffers already decided the game is utter shit without touching it. What's wrong with differing opinions?

Review threads are tame these days since 7 is the new five. One of these days people will realise numbers below 6 exist again and give something a 3. Then all shit will break loose.

Instro

I would say the difference is that the people who think this game is not good are not attempting to pick apart reviews to invalidate or personally attack a reviewer. It's not much of an issue here as the game has reviewed poorly thus tempering reactions, but typical reviews threads for hyped games or long-standing franchises generally turn into shit fests once a bad review or two rolls in.

maxcriden

That's the problem. This game is more like Star Fox 64.5 than a new experience. Nintendo thinks they can always get away with including lot's of nostalgia punch into their games but people is getting tired of that since it's a step back when it comes to experience new stuff into Nintendo games. Sure they add innovative gameplay mixes but it's simply not enough on this era anymore.

I know what you mean, but to be fair, other than maybe Yoshi's New Island, are there any other modern Nintendo games quite so similar to their predecessors?

L Thammy

I, for one, am shocked and appalled that there are appeals to nostalgia in a series that has not had a totally new game in ten years.

I'm glad some reviewers are saying the controls are fun once you learn them. I'm a big fan of alternate control schemes in games and I was honestly scared that a lot of people wouldn't even give them a chance in this game, given the general attitude about the game when it was announced. Gaf especially is a hotbed for negativity about anything non-standard, it seems.

I hope I get to give this game a try at some point.

The first time I heard of Athur Gies was when he claimed (I think this was on Twitter) that Ninja Gaiden 3 on Wii U suffers because Nintendo doesn't follow the standard created by Microsoft of having the A button on the bottom. That coloured my impressions quite a bit.

Haha, I never heard this. I can't think of a single more unqualified person than him to be in games journalism.

mrmickfran

Sincerely curious, when was that?
Back when their high scores were rare and you could actually believe that the games deserved the scores.

Back in their glory days, their perfect or near perfect scores were given to Ocarina of Time, Soul Calibur, Vagrant Story, and A Link to the Past. Games that you can believe actually earned those scores.

Now they toss em out like candy, Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2, Type-0, Naruto Shippudden, Jojo's All-Star battle royale, Skyrim PS3, etc. Shit that the general consensus would never agree that deserve those scores.

He's not the biggest fan of Platinum. This is the guy who thinks Vanquish only reviewed well because of a concerted effort on games media to make up for the poor reviews of God Hand. The "God Hand Conspiracy", if you will.

You should post what he said about Vanquish

since the embargo is up, i don't have much good to say about vanquish. it's repetitive, clunky, and irritatingly punitive. very japanese.

I thought people wanted another 64??? I think the timing has to do with the resulting product. The Wii U was guaranteed to do shit. Maybe if it was near the beginning of the system's life, it would have ended up ambitious. But then again, maybe not because it's Star Fox. A cool IP but only big through name recognition.

Balb

I don't think following the Star Fox 64 formula is a bad thing. If anything, it's what people want after years of mediocre Star Fox games that tried to change things up too much. If Zero is as good as 64, the game would have reviewed a lot better.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I would say the difference is that the people who think this game is not good are not attempting to pick apart reviews to invalidate or personally attack a reviewer. It's not much of an issue here as the game has reviewed poorly thus tempering reactions, but typical reviews threads for hyped games or long-standing franchises generally turn into shit fests once a bad review or two rolls in.

I'll stay far away from those then! :p

Basing your decision on a few reviewers you trust is a lot better in my opinion than looking for a "consensus", especially in the form of an average number, anyway.

aBarreras

You should post what he said about Vanquish

Game journalism was a mistake, it's nothing but trash

OT: i think that the thing that kills the game for me is the lack of multiplayer even if its local, i kinda like the snowspeeder gameplay but its not enough, reminds me of Jet Force Gemini co-op

StAidan

OK, first of all, I don't understand why the "arcade" mode for advanced players was apparently off-limits for reviewers to discuss (according to the youtube comments on GameXplain's review). Arcade mode sounds like a selling point to me, and any selling point is something SF0 really really needs.

Second, the reviews were making me waffle a bit on whether I really wanted this game. But if Arthur Gies hated it, then I guess it can't be that bad.

Polygon just isn't a site I take seriously for reviews. It's a lot of reactionary click bait pandering disguised as righteousness and final-word-authority. Just looking at past Platinum reviews, a 6 for Wonderful 101 because the reviewer was frustrated with the controls. Yes, the controls take a lot of getting used to, but once they clicked for me, the game turned from a confusing experience into one of my favorite games of all time. Did the reviewer go back and replay any of the old levels that he had first tried when the controls were still raw and disorienting? Try something different? Try to *learn*? Or, if the controls really never clicked with him, why not write something more thoughtful than simply "it frustrated me, so I don't like it"? Yeah, I've just never been impressed with their writing staff.

As far as Platinum's involvement with Star Fox goes, is there a definitive word on how much of an impact they had on the development? Were they like script doctors, brought in to provide some action polish, or did they actively develop whole levels and boss attles?

Kouriozan

About what I expected, was always more interested in Guard than Zero.
Seeing the Polygon non-review brought a smile to my face because I figured this thread was going to be actively on fire. This is way more tame than I expected.
Wait for Uncharted 4 preview thread, you won't be disappointed.

Get what your saying, but most originality is rare in most games across all gaming companies.
What stuff do people see as new experience?
Its always "graphics" or something cinematic gameplay based off people I've talked too

I would have jumped on this game wholeheartedly if it had been a new story. Maybe a sequel to 64 or Assault, maybe even an adaptation of some of the concepts explored in those games... but it just feels lame as heck that they're effectively retelling Star Fox SNES' story for the third time.

Call me lame, but I miss Krystal, Panther, and fun references to Dinosaur Planet. :'c

Top Bottom