• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero & Guard - Review Thread

L Thammy

Hmm...well I paid full retail for Sin and Punishment 2 even though it only lasted me 6 hours, and I didn't regret it.

On the other hand SP2 had a much better pedigree/reception than this game. I think I'll wait a little while and give Star Fox Zero a rent.

If Sin & Punishment 2 only lasted you six hours, you haven't played it enough. Go beat Isa & Kachi mode on Hard right now.

On Gies Review:

I don't think him not beating it invalidates his opinion, but it sure does read funny.

It doesn't invalidate his opinion for what it is: a reflection of an incomplete experience from someone who clearly had no interest in attempting to learn the controls.

I saw this as one who's totally fine with people bagging on the game--just play the damn thing first. That's your job, as a reviewer.

AdanVC

I know what you mean, but to be fair, other than maybe Yoshi's New Island, are there any other modern Nintendo games quite so similar to their predecessors?

Yes most game sequels, even the ones from other companies have to have similarities with their predecessors. But IMO I think Nintendo abuses of that a bit too much sometimes. It was cool the first times but not anymore, because sometimes, I cannot tell if they are doing it on purpose or they are simply running out of ideas, especially with the latest Mario games such as Mario Tennis Ultra Smash, Mario Party 10, Mario and Luigi Paper Jam on 3DS, NSMBU and so on : /

I thought people wanted another 64??? I think the timing has to do with the resulting product. The Wii U was guaranteed to do shit. Maybe if it was near the beginning of the system's life, it would have ended up ambitious. But then again, maybe not because it's Star Fox. A cool IP but only big through name recognition.

Exactly, more ambitious so it can stand on their own and not rely too much on the fact that this is pretty much SF 64.5. Maybe it had to do also with those rumors about this game going into certain phases of development hell? But yeah it seems they run out of time and had to ship the game as it was.

I don't think following the Star Fox 64 formula is a bad thing. If anything, it's what people want after years of mediocre Star Fox games that tried to change things up too much. If Zero is as good as 64, the game would have reviewed a lot better.

True. The worst thing here is that according to reviews, it seems Zero didn't even turned out to be as good as 64 : /

Get what your saying, but most originality is rare in most games across all gaming companies.
What stuff do people see as new experience?
Its always "graphics" or something cinematic gameplay based off people I've talked too

Since this is Nintendo we're we talking, something of the caliber of Splatoon in terms of new experiences. It shows that when Nintendo proposes it, they can still deliver truly amazing (and succesful) brand new experiences.

Isn't this very unprofessional. I mean it's his job to review the game is it not? Quite childish to throw your hands up and refuse to do it.
I always grouse and groan whenever a film critic does that (c'mon, the movie you hate is maybe two hours long, and you're already this far into it), but for a game, I do get it. If you're halfway through a game and absolutely hate it -- especially for something as fundamental as its control scheme -- I don't see any issue with bailing out. The reviewer should make that clear, and I would say it's not fair to assign a score based on that incomplete experience. I'm not a fan of Arthur Gies' writing, but I don't see a problem with what he did here. I wish he had made it clear how much time he sank into it, though, since it sounds like SFZ isn't much longer than watching a movie anyway.

Regiruler

Review written by my good friend over at *********:

http://www.*********.com/reviews/star-fox-zero
I too love the asterisk website
I always grouse and groan whenever a film critic does that (c'mon, the movie you hate is maybe two hours long, and you're already this far into it), but for a game, I do get it. If you're halfway through a game and absolutely hate it -- especially for something as fundamental as its control scheme -- I don't see any issue with bailing out. The reviewer should make that clear, and I would say it's not fair to assign a score based on that incomplete experience. I'm not a fan of Arthur Gies' writing, but I don't see a problem with what he did here.
The control scheme isn't fundamental. It is within your skillset as a human being to adapt to it.

Soul Lab

The lack of quality and creativity in Nintendo's recent first party games is very worrisome. I hope its just because the Wii U sells bad....

lol, what are you talking about? stop the hyperbole pls
ok, Mario Tennis and the AC game really are bad.
Splatoon and Mario Maker are Nintendo at its best though.

Edit: Almost forgot Yoshi's Wooly World. What a gem

trixx

Should at least have some online modes. Too bad. What did polygon score, it read the headline and loled hard. Is the campaign really 3 hours? Judging from the reviews Star Fox Guard seems like its better than the main game lol

Is the campaign really 3 hours? Already passed due to Canadian price point anyways

I'm not a fan of Arthur Gies' writing, but I don't see a problem with what he did here. I wish he had made it clear how much time he sank into it, though, since it sounds like SFZ isn't much longer than watching a movie anyway.

The problem with Gies's "review" (he actually says it's not a review) is that it's the ONLY one on the site. They had a month to find someone who could finish a 3 hour game and give it a proper review and they didn't even bother.

Why?

Nibel

Damn

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/722839207807324160

KuGsj.gif

Toxi

Banned
Review written by my good friend over at *********:

http://www.*********.com/reviews/star-fox-zero
Full text of review

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*/*

Krabboss

Honestly shocked that people are so attached to this franchise that they'd be upset about the polygon article.

It really isn't that big of a deal if some people do not like this video game.

Acorn

That's not even a controversial opinion.

Nah, Kuchera is terrible too, but they guy that called us all idiots for rejecting Microsofts DRM is the worst.
Ben "Fart in the wind(google it)" Kuchera was more annoying to me during that period.

Yeah, no. There are more examples of lackluster first party games than Mario Tennis and AC, and you know that.

For me, Splatoon and Mario Maker are no way Nintendo as it best though. Nintendo as its best are games like Metroid Prime, Mario Sunshine or Zelda Wind Waker. But I'm willing to see Splatoon is a creative and good IP by Nintendo, so you've got atleast one point.

Mario Maker is just a level editor though. Nothing special. Yoshi is just another 2D sidescroller.

Myriadis

It's a shame that Nintendo didn't get it. The Starfox formula was already dated by the time when the Gamecube was coming out and they did the right thing to move away from he old cheap gameplay of the 64 and SNES games and introduced worthy improvments like third-person shooter action and even making it a Zelda clone was a better choice.

Now it's 2016 and they need to adapt it into this generation. Yeah it's a Platinum game so it's bound to be ugly (just look at W101) but what about immersive QTE gameplay? There's even no open world! And they even didn't jump on the microtransactions train, pretty much unforgivable in this day and age.
I hope this game crashes and burns and Nintendo will learn to never make a game like Starfox 64 or SNES again. There aren't many ways to improve the anicent rail shooter genre anyway.

ok, so I was mostly kidding but how could the old starfox be actually improved? All I read so far are some vague ideas. Like "Make the levels more interesting", just how?

TrueBlue

I think the issues lie less with the overall quality and more with the perception that Ninty's efforts are lacking in creativity and and originality.

Yeah, no. There are more examples of lackluster first party games than Mario Tennis and AC, and you know that.

For me, Splatoon and Mario Maker are no way Nintendo as it best though. Nintendo as its best are games like Metroid Prime, Mario Sunshine or Zelda Wind Waker. But I'm willing to see Splatoon is a creative and good IP by Nintendo, so you've got atleast one point.

Mario Maker is just a level editor though. Nothing special. Yoshi is just another 2D sidescroller.

Splatoon is debatable (I think it's top shelf) but saying Mario Maker is "just a level editor" is asinine.

Honestly shocked that people are so attached to this franchise that they'd be upset about the polygon article.

It really isn't that big of a deal if some people do not like this video game.

Probably, but the presentation of it is so damn unprofessional that it drags down the reputation of the site. Whether they have any reasonable sense of organization is not something a reader should ask.

That being said the review I'm looking forward to is the completionist review because he's played the game the most and tend to be more thorough about specific qualities of the game.

papo

People only reviewing games they like would make the concept of a review kinda pointless.

I understand, but the thing is he did not pass it over to someone else and he didn't do his job because even if he didn't like it the review would speak as to why in an official way.

He could have just made the review instead of the BS article which is why I call him out. That is a bs excuse and crappy journalism. So yeah people only reviewing games they like would make the concept pointless, but this shit Gies did is even worse.

rardk64

I almost see what they're talking about. Almost. It's certainly felt like Nintendo is putting less effort into recent titles. Mario Tennis and amiibo Festival are obvious points. But then you consider that another Kirby game is on the way, which will probably be another great Kirby title, but they're generally low effort. Then you have Star Fox, which has left me with a sour taste because despite trying new gameplay mechanics, the story is, IMO, a cop out. Look at Mario Party 10, there's no single player mode to speak of.

So no, I don't agree, as Nintendo still has put out stellar first gen games this gen. But they've been few, and (very) recently, there's been very low output.

I think part of my disappointment is that reviewers had a full month with the game which is honestly ridiculous. That's more than enough time to get more detailed reviews out than we have now.

The Boat

It's disheartening to see people treating this as some sort of throwaway half assed game when it's absolutely fantastic. It's classic Starfox and it pushes the envelope with the controls and makes perfect use of the gamepad.

Ampsicora

Except I'm not joking. Galaxy Force 2 isn't fun.

Doesn't even have any boss battles to attempt to redeem it.

Except it is, GFII is still an arcade shooter, so it's not for all. But it's a more polished shooter than the first star fox. Anyway I'm curious, why in your opinion GF2 isn't fun?

Top Bottom