• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws' Director: 'Bad Faith' Discourse About Protagonist's Appearance 'Not Worth Engaging In'

wipeout364

Personally I have no idea why anyone would not want the best looking characters they can make in a visual medium unless someone is trying to send a message about something.

We can see mediocrity everywhere we go, visual artists should strive for perfection unless some storytelling element would be better served by ugliness such as horror or desolation.

I am much more likely to buy a video game if it has attractive art over one that doesn’t. Outlaws main character should be much more attractive given how the real world model looks. I will say The division had the worst facial models I have seen in a long time in its character creator so it could be related to that.

feynoob

Banned
Personally I have no idea why anyone would not want the best looking characters they can make in a visual medium unless someone is trying to send a message about something.

We can see mediocrity everywhere we go, visual artists should strive for perfection unless some storytelling element would be better served by ugliness such as horror or desolation.

I am much more likely to buy a video game if it has attractive art over one that doesn’t. Outlaws main character should be much more attractive given how the real world model looks. I will say The division had the worst facial models I have seen in a long time in its character creator so it could be related to that.
These takes are why we get bad gameplays. Games should have better gameplays, not characters. A good gameplay can make a character memorable.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
These takes are why we get bad gameplays. Games should have better gameplays, not characters. A good gameplay can make a character memorable.
This is fallacious. For Ubi never delivered great gameplay in their mainline blockbusters but their character designs certain driven by the culture shift.

In fact, I couldn't think even one game that pursues better gameplay at the cost of weaker character design.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
We can see mediocrity everywhere we go, visual artists should strive for perfec
lol yea...no. They should strive to create what they want should make what makes sense to them... What you think is "prefect" will differ from person to person.

That is like saying a chef should strive to make the food "good", never mind this shit differs from country to country
Personally I have no idea why anyone would not want the best looking characters they can make in a visual medium
I don't know if anyone from Ubisoft has ever made that claim or argument btw, for all you know they think they have the best looking, but shit lots of developers think that, cause...opinions bud lol

I've seen many in my university courses with so many different character types, no one has told me they feel their character is "ugly", yet I think some of them are....

Stop forcing this thing of your opinion on something subjective, being fact.... for all you know they think they made the best looking and don't wish to change it, you disagree and think its ugly.

Thats it.

Thats like saying something wild like "I tasted the food at McDonald's and I personally have no idea why anybody would NOT want to make the best tasting food they can make, The chef's at McDonald's should strive to make good food."

It's like holy shit are you telling me you're just not aware that it's feasible that maybe you just personally dislike McDonalds? Lol

My friend there's a bit of a reach and stretch from disliking something to being some conspiracy to purposely make you dislike it it's within reason that you may not find everything attractive but what gamer does?

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
This take makes zero sense. This is not an either/or scenario. You CAN in fact have good games with characters that don't look goblins. You don't have to spend extra time making the character look UGLIER than the real-life model.

feynoob

Banned
This is fallacious. For Ubi never delivered great gameplay in their mainline blockbusters but their character designs certain driven by the culture shift.

In fact, I couldn't think even one game that pursues better gameplay at the cost of weaker character design.
Not sure why you think gameplay and art are mutually exclusive. It’s a ridiculous take that is dishonest. There are endless examples of great games with beautiful characters.
This take makes zero sense. This is not an either/or scenario. You CAN in fact have good games with characters that don't look goblins. You don't have to spend extra time making the character look UGLIER than the real-life model.
A) you dont really see your character that much other than his back. Face model is meaningless other than cinematic scene.
Ugly character syndrome is something kids these days bark about it nonstop. We didnt have detailed graphic until recently.

Go check any old game and you will see how shit the character model is.

Gameplay is what people play it for. The shitty graphic was forgiving, because those games had great score and great gameplay.

Last edited:

wipeout364

lol yea...no. They should strive to create what they want should make what makes sense to them... What you think is "prefect" will differ from person to person.

That is like saying a chef should strive to make the food "good",

I don't know if anyone from Ubisoft has ever made that claim or argument btw, for all you know they think they have the best looking, but shit lots of developers think that, cause...opinions bud lol

I've seen many in my university courses with so many different character types, no one has told me they feel their character is "ugly", yet I think some of them are....

Stop forcing this thing of your opinion on something subjective, being fact.... for all you know they think they made the best looking and don't wish to change it, you disagree and think its ugly.

Thats it.

Thats like saying something wild like "I tasted the food at McDonald's and I personally have no idea why anybody would NOT want to make the best tasting food they can make, The chef's at McDonald's should strive to make good food."

It's like holy shit are you telling me you're just not aware that it's feasible that maybe you just personally dislike McDonalds? Lol

My friend there's a bit of a reach and stretch from disliking something to being some conspiracy to purposely make you dislike it it's within reason that you may not find everything attractive but what gamer does?
Miss China
RiSPl9J.jpeg

Miss India
T7z1TOk.jpeg

Miss Mexico
UAKFqbs.jpeg

Miss Italy
BmfYM22.jpeg

Miss Vietnam
A7wm0mq.jpeg

But you keep fighting that good fight about beauty not being obvious in visual mediums.

EDMIX

The director is right.

Ultimately I agree.

I think the fact that you see so many different opinions in this thread should prove this is not some singular idea we all universally agree on

Which means there is no one way to create something like this it is going to be open to many interpretations, bottom line is the developer has the choice to create what they want and they choose how their character looks like

If they want the character to be attractive as their goal they are free to do that keep in mind many of you don't even fucking know if that's even originally their intention for all you know they want the character to look pretty and you guys just disagree but there's lots of people in real life that think they look pretty that all of us might or some of us might disagree with or something like this

So I would say even if they openly came out and stated they did not want an attractive character, They are free to do that with their game....

It very much is in dispute... mostly because "good" is subjective. Starting from there, that is not a valid foundation for an argument.
This.

Good is very much subjective and even the whole Star Wars Fans will buy Star Wars stuff, I'm not even a fan of this IP that much and I'm buying this game day 1 lol

Granted, I'm still buying based on if I think its good or not and I've seen enough to support a day 1 buy. Solid studio, great looking environment and I like the gameplay loop they have going on.

Miss China
RiSPl9J.jpeg

Miss India
T7z1TOk.jpeg

Miss Mexico
UAKFqbs.jpeg

Miss Italy
BmfYM22.jpeg

Miss Vietnam
A7wm0mq.jpeg

But you keep fighting that good fight about beauty not being obvious in visual mediums.

ok, I think only 1 of them looks attractive btw lol

(lol yoooo one of the um "females" in this literally looks like the fucking characters some of you say are forced in that are ugly or masculine or some shit) Soooooo I don't know if this is it bud, a few of em look like you put them in a game, members of this thread would have a whole ass conspiracy on them like "why her arms so buff...BECAUSE THE BLUE HAI-" lol

The developer is still free to create what they want, get over it.

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member
A) you dont really see your character that much other than his back. Face model is meaningless other than cinematic scene.
Ugly character syndrome is something kids these days bark about it nonstop. We didnt have detailed graphic until recently.

Gameplay is what people play it for. The shitty graphic was forgiving, because those games had great score and great gameplay.
You are intentionally conflating two very distinct things.

Low model quality due to tech constraints =\= uglification.

Old games have shitty character models due to low polygon and outdated development technologies. Ubisoft has industry leading dev tools and in fact the hair and face of Kay Vess are very detailed. They simply chose to make her appearance less appealing.

You can say you don't care face models and only value gameplay, but as previous pointed out, those two are not mutual exclusive. People buying games are entitled to anticipate both.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member

Why did you start with A)? You didn't address my point at all. You originally said:
"These takes are why we get bad gameplays. Games should have better gameplays, not characters. A good gameplay can make a character memorable."

I'm saying you can have great gameplay and models that aren't actively made to look worse than their real-life counterparts. These things aren't mutually exclusive. Having models that reflect their real-life counterparts doesn't detract from gameplay in any way.

Yes, games had lower fidelity graphics in the past. That's not what's happening here. This isn't being done because of technical limitations. It's just one more example of several in a trend to make female characters look uglier than their real-life models. Again, this phoenomenon does not happen with male models and male characters. Why do you think that is?

EDMIX

I'm saying you can have great gameplay and models that aren't actively made to look worse than their real-life counterparts.
Look, I agree with a lot of your post, I agree you can have good gameplay and clearly can have a game that has a character that looks close to the real life model or something, but a idea of "actively made to look worse" is an argument many on here are stating with little to no evidence, even in this article, its not like anyone from Ubisoft is like "we made her ugly cause we can" lol Its like some of you made this argument and proceed to post on this thread as if anyone has confirmed this or the director is factually saying any of these things.

So you can feel it looks worse, but bring evidence of anyone doing something like "actively made to look worse" or something. Your opinion that she looks worse is your own and fair, you are free to have that, but to say someone is actively doing it, as in on purpose, we'd need a bit more then just an assumption or something.

trend to make female characters look uglier than their real-life models.

A lot of characters don't look 100% like their real life models, that isn't a "trend" as during what time has that ever even been the norm anyway?

Even if they made a choice to design the character differently, that is their choice and this is their game to do so.

So, you may have to just get over this and understand the idea of free will exist. What are you going to do? Tell them how they are going to make their game? You'll just get another group crying on such a change lol

Everyone can't be please and the director has no ode to alter or change his game cause anyone's views in this thread.

feynoob

Banned
You are intentionally conflating two very distinct things.

Low model quality due to tech constraints =\= uglification.

Old games have shitty character models due to low polygon and outdated development technologies. Ubisoft has industry leading dev tools and in fact the hair and face of Kay Vess are very detailed. They simply chose to make her appearance less appealing.

You can say you don't care face models and only value gameplay, but as previous pointed out, those two are not mutual exclusive. People buying games are entitled to anticipate both.
You answered yourself in your post now. People didnt care about the looks of their character because of the engine limitation. They only did recently, because of their clouded notion of beauty.
Uglification is just a simple term that people glorify now, because they want unrealistic beauty, which doesnt exist.

Why did you start with A)? You didn't address my point at all. You originally said:
"These takes are why we get bad gameplays. Games should have better gameplays, not characters. A good gameplay can make a character memorable."
because you see the back of your character most of your gameplay. I dont see kratos face that much, unless I change the camera view to his face.

'm saying you can have great gameplay and models that aren't actively made to look worse than their real-life counterparts. These things aren't mutually exclusive. Having models that reflect their real-life counterparts doesn't detract from gameplay in any way.
I can agree you on this part. But there are some cases, which the company changes the face of the character to a different model. Recent case of peter parker face. These companies can change their characters look from their model.

Yes, games had lower fidelity graphics in the past. That's not what's happening here. This isn't being done because of technical limitations. It's just one more example of several in a trend to make female characters look uglier than their real-life models. Again, this phoenomenon does not happen with male models and male characters. Why do you think that is?
Male models are ugly. Have you seen all the recent faces? Its either grumpy, old man or wrinked face or some middle aged guy. Females are treated differently. You either have to be goddess or you are ugly.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
You answered yourself in your post now. People didnt care about the looks of their character because of the engine limitation. They only did recently, because of their clouded notion of beauty.
Uglification is just a simple term that people glorify now, because they want unrealistic beauty, which doesnt exist.
Hey bud, stop setting up strawman.

Wanting appealing characters are equal to unrealistic beauty now?

The character is based on a real model and I bet there wouldn't be any questioning if Vess is faithfully created from the model.

Moochi

Ultimately this game will be good or it wont, despite whether or not the lead character is hot enough to cosplay. I think it's a form of self-sabotage to choose unattractive leads and the studios that do that are going to see less initial hype around their games.

For me, when I see an unappealing character, thats usually a sign that the game company has been compromised by agenda politics from within and even with stupid amounts of money backing them the best they will achieve is something derivative and at best mid because a house divided against itself...

A game company can excel in several ways. How closely their products adherence to currently popular socio-political trends is not even in the top 10 list of criteria for a good game, but it seems like it's number 1, or at the very least a monkey wrench that causes division within companies.

Neon Xenon

I think all of this is fucking stupid.
I do agree that it's not worth engaging with, so I also don't know why this was even brought up for this interview in the first place. For all I know, Kay's appearance could be the least of this game's problems.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Look, I agree with a lot of your post, I agree you can have good gameplay and clearly can have a game that has a character that looks close to the real life model or something, but a idea of "actively made to look worse" is an argument many on here are stating with little to no evidence, even in this article, its not like anyone from Ubisoft is like "we made her ugly cause we can" lol
SO284o8.png

hv5PWrU.png

A2wO7Ko.png

1eHoa3J.png

Here are four examples of exactly what I'm talking about. Look at how dramatically the jaws and faces of these characters have been reshaped. Forget looking alike, Kay Vess doesn't even look the same species as Humberly González.

Find me four examples of male characters that have been made to look worse than their models like these examples and I might believe you.

So, you may have to just get over this and understand the idea of free will exist. What are you going to do? Tell them how they are going to make their game? You'll just get another group crying on such a change lol

Everyone can't be please and the director has no ode to alter or change his game cause anyone's views in this thread.
Can you point me to the part of this thread where I said anyone shouldn't be allowed to make anything? In my first post I said it was an annoying trend. Tell me where I said anyone doesn't have the free will to make it. Do you understand what an opinion is?

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m not feeling the entire thing. She looks weird, but whatever. If GAF says it’s 10/10 I might check it out. I’ve got 0 levels of hype for it. It feels like a woke project. lol

LectureMaster

Gold Member
SO284o8.png

hv5PWrU.png

A2wO7Ko.png

1eHoa3J.png

Here are four examples of exactly what I'm talking about. Look at how dramatically the jaws and faces of these characters have been reshaped. Forget looking alike, Kay Vess doesn't even look the same species as Humberly González.

Find me four examples of male characters that have been made to look worse than their models like these examples and I might believe you.

Can you point me to the part of this thread where I said anyone shouldn't be allowed to make anything? In my first post I said it was an annoying trend. Tell me where I said anyone doesn't have the free will to make it. Do you understand what an opinion is?
No point continue the discussion. Guy earned that user tag for a reason. I'd just drop a lol and be all good 😊.

EDMIX

Here are four examples of exactly what I'm talking about. Look at how dramatically the ja
Thats nice

Do you have any actual evidence the developer has ever stated this was done to make them look ugly? All this means is they are not 1.1, when has that ever been a standard though?
Find me four examples of m
lol my guy, I don't care. It is your opinion the models look worse, you are free to have that opinion, I was never debating you on what you personally like or think is worse or some shit, merely the claimed intent that it was done purposely as no one here has provided any evidence that any of that was done with some ill intent.

In my first post I said it was an annoying trend.
When did we have this as a standard for the model to look 1.1? How can it be a trend when you can't even fucking support this was ever some standard, requirement or the norm? I don't even know if I can say 1 studio or publisher has ever even had that as some standard let alone like a whole industry thing that suddenly a "trend" came along that differed from it...

It’s not like they had a choice on that matter, it’s left wing ideology that rules these companies now ,dam what the fans want,

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
Devs have right to make females in their game ugly, we as gamers/customers have exactly same rights to call it out, and to vote with our wallets aka not buy/buy at discount/used their game, just i hope no crying when game sells below expectations/devs getting laid off etc, if u make ur bed u gotta sleep in it :)

Like in all the threads when we call out/cryticize woke policies(concord/new DA and many more) usual woke posters with alt accounts from woke-era try to defend all this shit, which is perfectly fine, here on this forum ppl can voice their opinions w/o worring about being banned, but in the end sales numbers will matter here, lets see once again how game performs =D

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Are you gonna "FAP" every time you see movie which girls on the beach?

How the fuck you are okay game have full on nudity and sex which add nothing to the actual game but characters being attractive and wearing hot cloth is big no.

Surprise, surprise people like attractive looking characters in entertainment

I take that over showing ugly ass characters having sex in games.
maxresdefault.jpg

So game like Stellar Blade is not proper?....why?
Stellar-Blade_2024_07-25-24_005-768x432.jpg
That stellar blade chick has some serious spine abnormality

I agree, people like beautiful things, so I don't get why the dumb publisher isn't allowing this sexy to be in the game bruv

like wtf!!!!!??

Breakthrough-Success.jpg

@laynelane lol they don't need to do shit.

Hiring a model doesn't mean its suppose to be 1.1, they are free to pick and choose what they wish to keep and alter etc.

Make your own game bud. They don't need to change a damn thing if they don't want to lol

Someone can have endless feed back crying over all sorts of shit even if they changed the character to your liking, but would it be to MY LIKING? You know, the real, true sexy ?

Al-Weezy-3.png

That game would never release, they would just be changing the character 100x times a day lol

Stop man.

Make your own game and move on. They don't need to change anything for either side...don't like it, play something else that makes pp go hard man.

(like Fat Princess, the real sexy that this nasty industry keeps purposely denying)
Don't give "creative directors" ideas! you might get what you hoped for. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

EDMIX

Don't give "creative directors" ideas! you might get what you hoped for. :messenger_beaming:

lol soon. I need her in that Fat Princess sequel, "Voluptuous Qween"

I see EDMIX still fighting the good fight to prove to everyone what an insufferable moron he is
lol who gets triggered over this? Buddy, we just have differing opinions, thats ok bud. Not that serious.
Maybe its an alt account from Senj
Nah, I have no clue who or what that is lol

Ozzie666

Whatever people say, however you feel. The simple truth is this. As a smart business person who pays handsomely for the Star Wars IP, why would you knowingly alter the main character in such a way, you know you are going to get backlash for. Warranted or not.

Why go out of your way to poorly represent the very attractive model? whats the point. It's business suicide. Admittedly not in the same ball park as Ms. Freeze.

#DASHRENDAR was the only smart logical character next to Han.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
We are at a time when GPUs, even on consoles, can process billion of triangles and shaders.
Then we have billion dollar companies, that have budgets of hundreds of millions of dollars per game.
And have armies of trained artists, capture tools and photogrammetry.
But somehow, they still struggle in making an adequate model of female models. Only female models.
Sorry, but this is bullshit.

Hypereides

Gold Member
"Bad faith" or not, industry people like this need to at least be willing to an open mutual dialogue. Currently, they're more interested in "force feeding" the general audience what they think they like, instead of lending an ear to possible useful feedback. Its all very one directional. They've pretty much created a self-feeding interest loop while blocking out the other part of the equation.

Last edited:

Three

Seems westerns like the inverse approach to Capcom
images

images

images
You clearly dont remember the controversy regarding DMC and how people were complaining that Lady looked too androgynous.

LadyDevilMayCry5.png

People started using photoshop to anime her up and telling Capcom what she actually should have looked like.

Also is that last image in the second collage real or are you playing?

Last edited:

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
That is exactly the right response. Tell the story they want to tell, make decisions based on story/game reasons not what online clods are complaining about.

People that are bitching about a female character not being pretty enough or whatever, they aren't worth responding to... and if the character were "prettier", guess what, they would just find another reason to not buy the game. That's all there is to it.
Ten virtue signalling points have been added to your social credit score.

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
I don't think the character is that bad in and of itself, at worst, she looks a bit cartoony like she came from the mickey mouse universe

However the real model is way more attractive, but I feel like we have the same discussion over and over again about the uglification of women in games.

If they don't want criticism, then perhaps they should use less attractive people to model their game characters.

Ever wonder why there are so few ugly actors?

(It's actually pretty interesting that you don't see this much in TV and film. Despite populair belief Hollywood likes money more than ideology.)

feynoob

Banned
Hey bud, stop setting up strawman.

Wanting appealing characters are equal to unrealistic beauty now?

The character is based on a real model and I bet there wouldn't be any questioning if Vess is faithfully created from the model.
There is no strawman. When this character, who is top 80%-90% of beautiful is considered ugly, then yes. There is extreme unrealistic of beautiful.

feynoob

Banned
Ever wonder why there are so few ugly actors?

(It's actually pretty interesting that you don't see this much in TV and film. Despite populair belief Hollywood likes money more than ideology.)
Horny people. Still cant believe that guy managed to score this in the movie.
maxresdefault.jpg

Top Bottom