• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws' Director: 'Bad Faith' Discourse About Protagonist's Appearance 'Not Worth Engaging In'

feynoob

Banned
Ultimately this game will be good or it wont, despite whether or not the lead character is hot enough to cosplay. I think it's a form of self-sabotage to choose unattractive leads and the studios that do that are going to see less initial hype around their games.

For me, when I see an unappealing character, thats usually a sign that the game company has been compromised by agenda politics from within and even with stupid amounts of money backing them the best they will achieve is something derivative and at best mid because a house divided against itself...

A game company can excel in several ways. How closely their products adherence to currently popular socio-political trends is not even in the top 10 list of criteria for a good game, but it seems like it's number 1, or at the very least a monkey wrench that causes division within companies.
Game looks more Ubisoft boredom and essentially avatar frontier of pandora box level of boredom with locked characters behind paywall.

Just classic Ubisoft game. At least EA weren't this shit.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
She looks like that kid with no teeth from Stranger Things. (No disrespect to that kid or people with that condition)

It's a disservice to the real life model.
Really? I thought she resembled the creature from the film Munchies. It's the cheekbones.

vlrlwPu.jpeg

AaV5hDf.jpeg

PaintTinJr

It very much is in dispute... mostly because "good" is subjective. Starting from there, that is not a valid foundation for an argument.
I had a feeling you wouldn't see the obvious error in me projecting my own "good" SW in that sentence,...

...but it just further emphasises the point that "all" Sw stuff "good" or "bad" is well supported - on a first pass at least - so it is guaranteed that everything SW gets good support from SW fans, then what they perceive as "good" is definitely supported, yes? I mean that is why Ubi pay for a SW license for the game as it brings guaranteed sales, much like Disney bought SW and hang an entire sub service on SW (and Marvel) because of the cultural phenomenon status and the transcendent reach SW has that the director completely ignores when suggesting the starting point for this ugly wash discussion is people aren't already primed to buy anything he pumps out with SW on it.

Ozzie666

Anyone else going to watch both Ewok movies in preperation for this game? I can only hope my disappointment in Caravan of Courage and the second movie, will make this game feel amazing.

Holammer

We've basically had a decade of games where women can't be conventionally beautiful in western games, yet they still model protagonists in high budget games after beautiful people and apply what's called an "ugly stick"? Why? Just get Melissa McCarthy instead. Imagine sneaking around with her and bopping storm troopers helmets, it would be hilarious.

Not that I'm going to play it, but I look forward to someone modding the game and giving the protag a makeover.

FewRope

At this stage it's not about whether or not the character is "fuckable", it's about them failing to stay faithful to the model/actress they are basing the character off.

If they really just want the characters to be ugly then why not just go and get a cast of ugly actors and actresses to do the job?
But thats a problem with the game engine in certain angles or lighting, I think only the Decima Engine makes justice to real people ingame

hinch7

Character design is the last thing people should worry about in a Ubisoft game.

Uglification of models in video games doesn't help either though for perception.

PeteBull

Gold Member
TLDR that female protagonist is simply mid, 4/10 or 5/10 max depending on ur taste, doesnt mean she is unfuckable like those fat lesbians from concord, but she was visibly uglyfied vs the actress.

For reference:
3/10 and below= cave troll, those cant even get proper date on tinder, u can see them on tik tok complaining that all good men are gone (usually means obese, bad face symetry or visibly past their prime, for some its 35yo+, for some 50yo+, life isnt fair and genetics is a bitch :)
4/10=below avg(still fuckable for 95% of dudes, even those relatively goodlooking and/or rich ones, just not gf/longterm relationship material- yes even with good personality, disney fairytales keep on lying :)
5/10= avg
6/10 above avg
7/10=attractive
8/10=very attractive
9/10= supermodel/winner of a miss contest of above regional lvl/high paid actress in her prime(which usually means 18-30yo )
10/10= unobtanium/plastic surgery and a lot of it/usually even then filters/srs amount of make up has to be put on

Btw, for guys its much worse, 80%-90% of us are simply unatractive to females, thats according to studies so basically unless u are 8/10 in looks as a guy forget any online dating, we can make up for it with charm/charisma/being funny/wealth/status at least tho :p

whyman

I mean it’s not bad faith when they massacre the likeness of beautiful women for DEI reasons. Screw Ubisoft, I’m done buying games from them.

BlackTron

He's the director, meaning he oversaw and approved the making the character ugly on purpose.

And then he comes here end tells us it doesn't matter. But if it didn't matter, why did he uglify the actress then?

Don't try to gaslight us motherfucker. You perfectly know what you did.

TBH talking to fans like that just demoted this from a $10 game to a $5 if ever game to me.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The argument is easy... movies and games are escapes, fantasies. People do not fantasize that they are ugly and weak. They do not fantasize that they get the ugly and weak girl/guy.

Everyone would rather be beautiful and strong.

And that's why our stories since the dawn of time have been about beautiful strong characters.

But also the other valid argument is that they did it on purpose for a agenda. It wasn't somones great vision. It was systematic and propagandist.

KXVXII9X

It’s not like they had a choice on that matter, it’s left wing ideology that rules these companies now ,dam what the fans want,
And what is this left wing ideology? I want to hear it. You guys need to start backing up your points. Can you confirm they were being forced? I see a lot of projection with some of these comments.

BlackTron

And what is this left wing ideology? I want to hear it. You guys need to start backing up your points. Can you confirm they were being forced? I see a lot of projection with some of these comments.

Backed up by being a living breathing person and paying attention to anything going on around you. One time is a creative vision. Every fucking time is a systemic problem.

Three

I'm sure you'd have been just as interested in Metal Gear and would totally still be using a Big Boss avatar if he looked like this
images

After all it's all about the story and gameplay for you, right?
Doughnut Drake is my favourite character, speak for yourself. Bring him back I say.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Only defense against the mind virus is to boycott or refuse to buy games that display symptoms of the mind virus. Such as the censorship happening in DQ3HD.

You can either have the fortitude to resist or submit and drink the poison kool-aid.

It's why the rare indie game and playing older games is what keeps my interest in gaming alive.

Games for "modern audiences" are hollow and empty. Ubisoft sadly is one of these companies and Star Wars has long been infected with the Mind Virus.

unlurkified

The real actress she is modeled on is attractive.

Your character modelers just did a bad job representing that.
They didn’t do a bad job. You know it was intentional. This is what people take issue with-purposefully uglifying a character from its real-life model because it’s what devs think the zeitgeist demands of them.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
They didn’t do a bad job. You know it was intentional. This is what people take issue with-purposefully uglifying a character from its real-life model because it’s what devs think the zeitgeist demands of them.
It's intentional when Debra Wilson is perfectly portrayed in every role she plays in. Perfect recreation of her every time. But somehow these attractive girls get the uggo stick somehow? All by design.

It's not a surprise JP devs fire shots when they say the West loves making ugly characters.

feynoob

Banned
You can knock out storm troopers by smacking them in the back of their helmet. Lol

Makes sense. If helmets are metal armor, then the force should mess up your 🧠. It's why we don't use sturdy and metal helmet while riding a bike.

Other than that, it's a fun mechanic. Need shit like these, where you smack your enemies. Death loop does better.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
She doesn’t need to be hot, but she should at least look cool.

Example: Valorant has a bunch of unattractive females, but they still look cool.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The game will sell because of Star Wars. But that was a pretty poor choice of words IMO. Should have stuck with saying this is the character they wanted to make and he hopes people won't judge the book by its cover.

Calling dissenting opinion bad faith will not lead to more sales. It might lead to less though.

But what if some of the dissenting opinions are in bad faith?

mnkl13

"Kay is meant to be approachable...."

the thing with the woke mind virus is that soon this frase is also going to be outrageous, because it means that the unapproachable is still an option, and that cannot be. so you should expect to approach the unapproachable in the future. woke will eliminate the words and the definitions.

They didn't have that issue with Jedi Survivor either

Collage-Maker-01-May-2023-01-53-PM-3841.jpg

Wow, yeahhhh I am seeing it more now.

Yeah it's really fucking weird that for male models, they mostly render them true to form.

Western Devs seem to have something specifically against the female models they hire. It almost feels like some sort of... idk man... like quiet contempt of conventionally attractive women. Like this is all part of the exercise. Hire a model conventionally attractive and then render them frumpier, roughen them up. The male models don't have that issue.

This isn't even about avoiding whack off material or some prude conservative bullshit to cover the women up. This is some sort of deeper shit.

Last edited:

Zannegan

But what if some of the dissenting opinions are in bad faith?
What would make a dissenting opinion bad faith? People voicing their displeasure at a character's appearance could be characterized as shallow or irrelevent, but that doesn't make them bad faith arguments if appearance is something that genuinely matters to them.

And typically, appearance or attractiveness is something that matters to consumers whether consciously or unconsciously (not "fuckability" which is much more subjective). Ironically, a bad faith argument might ignore this paradigm or simply handwave all criticism away with blanket statements ...like "bad faith."

(EDITED FOR CLARITY)

The game will sell because of Star Wars. But that was a pretty poor choice of words IMO. Should have stuck with saying this is the character they wanted to make and he hopes people won't judge the book by its cover.

Calling dissenting opinion bad faith will not lead to more sales. It might lead to less though.
This is a way better approach. Talking down to potential customers rarely works out well.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
To be clear before some of you jump down this rabbit hole of assuming disagreeing with you is supporting 1 side or the other, I'm defending the right of a developer to make a game how they see fit.

They don't need to removed something cause you are crying about it and made a Petition
They don't need to include something cause "bluehairs" are crying about it and made a Petition

Don't like it? Make your own games. (with blackjack and hookers) No one needs to change or alter their game from this.

Regarding either side of this circus....

9aoBye8.png

Tag checks out

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
It's like the dev team has invaded this thread with all the gaslighting and "Oh you want a fuckable character" talk going on in here :messenger_grinning_smiling: :messenger_grinning_smiling: :messenger_grinning_smiling:

The dev is wrong to immediately shoot down all discourse of the character's appearance as "not worthy of engaging in". Is that how you want to talk to potential buyers of your product? Well, fuck you.....looking at your game, the game itself doesn't appear to be worth engaging in.

Astral Dog

You clearly dont remember the controversy regarding DMC and how people were complaining that Lady looked too androgynous.

LadyDevilMayCry5.png

People started using photoshop to anime her up and telling Capcom what she actually should have looked like.

Also is that last image in the second collage real or are you playing?
Idk i assume its real lol hunnigan is pretty cute both game and real

for Lady, i actually find the Vergil model a bit awkward looking as well,its not that they are bad models but the change from anime artsyle to the new photorealistic art is a little shocking for DMC, it looks very different and i had mixed feelings about the art even if the quality is high, its not a big deal but i can see why it got people talking,its ok to have opinions

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Wow, yeahhhh I am seeing it more now.

Yeah it's really fucking weird that for male models, they mostly render them true to form.

Western Devs seem to have something specifically against the female models they hire. It almost feels like some sort of... idk man... like quiet contempt of conventionally attractive women. Like this is all part of the exercise. Hire a model conventionally attractive and then render them frumpier, roughen them up. The male models don't have that issue.

This isn't even about avoiding whack off material or some prude conservative bullshit to cover the women up. This is some sort of deeper shit.
I can understand these jealous and political artists purposely making female characters dumpy, while conveniently keeping the men hunks.

What is odd is why bother even hiring good looking actresses to begin with then? I'm going to assume better looking ones cost more. So just save some cash and hire a meh looking actress and go hog wild matching.

But what I think happens is they purposely do this to spite gamers and even the actress as their way of getting back at society for being outcasted losers. Just imagine what these people are like at family holiday dinners. There is no doubt in my mind just about everyone in their family tree thinks they are weird. So good ol 50 or 70 year old mom and dad probably lay them a lecture at dinner in front of everyone. Their best weapon is to bring their miserable home life to work and try to infuse it into products.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Bad faith by definition means "Intent to deceive". Given the director can't sell people on a lie they've chosen to alienate others from proper discussion as they have no argument. So they run away and double down on their ideology. As fragile as it is.

So eager to sell expired beef as a fresh juicy steak. Garlic Salt sold separately on the cash shop.

It's like the dev team has invaded this thread with all the gaslighting and "Oh you want a fuckable character" talk going on in here :messenger_grinning_smiling: :messenger_grinning_smiling: :messenger_grinning_smiling:

The dev is wrong to immediately shoot down all discourse of the character's appearance as "not worthy of engaging in". Is that how you want to talk to potential buyers of your product? Well, fuck you.....looking at your game, the game itself doesn't appear to be worth engaging in.

Something that get's lost in the noise is also this: With the monumental cost of development and the long times between releases on this high profile games, you need to sell as much as humanly possible. To basically paint a sizable group in a negative light or to wholecloth dismiss a sentiment means the purchase potential has gone down even if this is a 10/10.

There is a reason big budget entertainment attempts to appeal to everyone. It has to justify its budget and then bring in a sizable return. They don't need to make all the money. They need to make all the money + more and this fucking arrogant chiding of potential consumers is just counter intuitive.

I can understand these jealous and political artists purposely making female characters dumpy, while conveniently keeping the men hunks.

What is odd is why bother even hiring good looking actresses to begin with then? I'm going to assume better looking ones cost more. So just save some cash and hire a meh looking actress and go hog wild matching.

But what I think happens is they purposely do this to spite gamers and even the actress as their way of getting back at society for being outcasted losers.

Agreed.

Yeah, getting incel adjacent vibes when they go through the process of going out of their way to hire these conventionally attractive models and then roughing them up in the final version.

Last edited:
Top Bottom