• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens video release date, editions announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait

Wasn't the 3D completely throwaway for this film? Or is there some aspect to home video 3D that I'm unaware of?

I own a 3D TV and as such I like to buy content for it. Them holding back the 3D version to try and get people to double dip is such a shitty practice.

Better than the screen size and sound system? I'd love to experience this if true. Haven't found a better setup than Imax.. TFA was amazing in it.

Well, you're not going to get the screen size at home but the 3D effect has been better on my Passive LG setup. As for the surround sound, an IMAX theater is going to win but you can get yourself a pretty good home system if you're willing to pay for it.

My friend actually has a 3D projector and the quality on that is really good as well. It helps to have control of lighting and seating arrangement when it comes to 3D as well.

I am curious if we're going to see reasonably priced 3D/4k TVs at this point. With 3D broadcast dead I am not sure if there is that much of a demand for it. If you're buying a 1080p set, you can get really good displays and the 3D is available on most of them anyway. At this point though, I would urge anyone planning to buy a new TV to go 4K over 3D but ideally it would be best to wait for an affordable set that has both, if that is going to be a thing that happens.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Wait

Wasn't the 3D completely throwaway for this film? Or is there some aspect to home video 3D that I'm unaware of?

I've got a 3D home cinema projector and a massive wall to projector on. Home 3D is wonderful.

Gameboy415

Freakin' Disney delaying the 3D release!
Here's hoping we actually get a 3D Blu-Ray and not some BS digital-only version again.

I guess I'll get the Target version for now :S

Does anyone know if they're actually "holding it back?" It could be that since 3D is a much lower priority now that they simply haven't done the transfer/conversion for it yet.

Or they could be holding it back, absolutely.

I honestly dont know it just seems odd to me that so many movies the 3D version comes out later, but not always. It definitely seems shady.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Does anyone know if they're actually "holding it back?" It could be that since 3D is a much lower priority now that they simply haven't done the transfer/conversion for it yet.

Or they could be holding it back, absolutely.

If it was standard practice to hold back a 3D version then I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Fact is that most of the time the 3D version is day and date with the 2D version. The only 3D Blu ray that I personally remember that wasn't day and date was Avatar, and I think that was down to some exclusivity deal with Panasonic or something.

I want that Zaavi steelcase but I'm not paying 33 euro before shipping, especially when I could walk into Tesco on release day and get it for 15. I'd probably go for it but I know I'll be buying it again later in the year.

RPGCrazied

I was charged at Best Buy. Hope it goes away, but its not pending. Just a hold charge perhaps?

Anyway, did you guys like the movie? I would ask in the OT, but afraid I'd get spoiled.

1 out of 10?

I was charged at Best Buy. Hope it goes away, but its not pending. Just a hold charge perhaps?

Anyway, did you guys like the movie? I would ask in the OT, but afraid I'd get spoiled.

1 out of 10?

I fucking loved it. Got goosebumps during the crawl when I realized I had no idea what would happen next. The whole film was delightful.

Can't wait to rewatch this on blu ray. I started getting some 3D blu Rays but I don't care that much for a post-converted film like this.

Surfinn

I fucking loved it. Got goosebumps during the crawl when I realized I had no idea what would happen next. The whole film was delightful.

Can't wait to rewatch this on blu ray. I started getting some 3D blu Rays but I don't care that much for a post-converted film like this.

My first viewing was "what the fuck did I just watch" since it was a new SW film. Seen it 7 times now (going for an eighth soon) and it only gets better with repeat viewings.

Fantastic film and worthy of its success.

Kemal86

I just noticed that the spines for the Best Buy Steelbook and the steelbooks for the previous 6 movies that were released last year don't match up at all.

TFA uses the yellow outlined 'Star Wars' logo, while the previous 6 used the platinum/steel "filled in" 'Star Wars' logo. I can already feel my brain twitching every time I look at them on my shelves.

The TFA steelbook also has Captain Phasma on the back cover, whereas the 6-set used the key art/poster art from each film.

still pre-ordered

SegaShack

Well I like collector's editions and steelbooks. However, those covers are so terrible that I'm just keeping my standard preorder at Amazon.

Why can't they just use the posters? It makes no sense, DVD/Bluray cases are formatted for that size image too. This other artwork looks fan made.

Ashhong

Well I like collector's editions and steelbooks. However, those covers are so terrible that I'm just keeping my standard preorder at Amazon.

Why can't they just use the posters? It makes no sense, DVD/Bluray cases are formatted for that size image too. This other artwork looks fan made.

I mean, it's a picture of Kylo Ren. I wouldn't say it looks fan made. Just boring.

SlickVic

Really surprised they're pumping out to video so quickly. I would have expected June/July honestly.

It seems to make sense from their perspective. The movie finally exited the Box Office Top 10 last weekend and probably will start shuffling out of a lot of theaters this month (I know a few theaters by me have already stopped showing it). Probably makes sense for them to have the Home Release available as soon as ticket sales have mostly dried up. Especially a movie like this where Digital and Blu Ray/DVD sales will likely be gangbusters regardless when they release it.

TheXbox

I think the fact that way more people seem upset about the lack of a 3D release than there are people who care about the lack of a commentary track explains why they didn't even bother with it. Me and maybe two other people actually give a shit about commentary tracks.

1 out of 10?
7/10. I love it bunches and bunches, minus a few stupid problems here and there. You'll like it.

Any word on the aspect ratio of the IMAX scenes? Or will be constant throughout the movie?

It was discussed upthread, but it's gonna be a constant 2.35:1 ratio.

I think the fact that way more people seem upset about the lack of a 3D release than there are people who care about the lack of a commentary track explains why they didn't even bother with it. Me and maybe two other people actually give a shit about commentary tracks.

I strongly prefer a good documentary to a commentary track. Even a really good commentary track. Most of them aren't good. It's hard to get the proper perspective on the film while you're still in post (which is when a lot of these commentaries get recorded) and there's often not much but surface tidbits and shit because while the film should provide a structure to keep the convo going, more often than not it just feels like aimless rambling until something super specific prompts an anecdote.

LosDaddie

Banned
The IMAX 3D in Orlando was fucking awesome. After seeing that, I was spoiled. Now I have been to other showings in other IMAX screens like in Panama City that weren't as good so I guess it depends on the theater.

I thought the (real) IMAX 3D version here in Orlando was....not offensive. It was OK, but didn't add anything to the movie. But I wanted to see TFA on a real IMAX screen after seeing it on Regal's RPX screen, so I had no choice but to see it in 3D.

I don't have a 3DTV at home. So i don't care when the 3D bluray comes out.

TheXbox

I strongly prefer a good documentary to a commentary track. Even a really good commentary track. Most of them aren't good. It's hard to get the proper perspective on the film while you're still in post (which is when a lot of these commentaries get recorded) and there's often not much but surface tidbits and shit because while the film should provide a structure to keep the convo going, more often than not it just feels like aimless rambling until something super specific prompts an anecdote.
If it's one or the other then yeah, I'm totally with you, but it doesn't have to be one or the other, and I don't think a commentary track with JJ would be boring. Dude is sharp as hell and always on point during interviews, even if he's covering the same ground a lot ("35mm is good, old movies are good, not-CG is good"). I wanna hear him cut loose and really dig into the movie.

Your point is well taken, though. I doubt he's even had time to sit down for two hours between TFA and Cloverfield.

Anth0ny

1 out of 10?

ESB: 10/10
Star Wars: 10/10
Jedi: 9/10

TFA: 9/10

Prequels: 1/10

Your point is well taken, though. I doubt he's even had time to sit down for two hours between TFA and Cloverfield.

I'm with you, a good JJ commentary would be amazing to listen to. But I kinda would rather hear it after like, a few weeks of prep and five years of distance on the flick. THAT would be a fun commentary.

GhaleonEB

1 out of 10?

After my initial viewing, I thought it was the 3rd best SW film behind Empire and ANH. Upon repeat viewings it's about tied with Empire as my favorite. TFA has issues that are unique to it among the SW films, but also a great many strengths in some surprising areas. Above all I think it's the most nuanced visual story telling in the series to date.

I saw it a ridiculous number of times and I'm looking forward to the home release enormously.
I'm with you, a good JJ commentary would be amazing to listen to. But I kinda would rather hear it after like, a few weeks of prep and five years of distance on the flick. THAT would be a fun commentary.

Yup, totally agree. At the least, I'd like it to be done after the other two episodes are out, both for the distance from TFA and the perspective on how it all ultimately came together.

1 out of 10?
Ties with ESB as my favorite SW. The characters are what really do it for me.

Hmm:

Empire is the scariest
Force Awakens is the funniest
Empire is the most emotional
Star Wars is the most earnest
Jedi is the silliest
Sith is the darkest
Force Awakens looks the best
Empire sounds the best
Empire has the best performances
Star Wars has the best moments

I thought the (real) IMAX 3D version here in Orlando was....not offensive. It was OK, but didn't add anything to the movie. But I wanted to see TFA on a real IMAX screen after seeing it on Regal's RPX screen, so I had no choice but to see it in 3D.

Had a totally different experience, I guess everything truly is subjective :p

Anth0ny

Hmm:

Empire is the scariest
Jedi is the silliest
Sith is the darkest
Empire sounds the best

I agree with all of this.

Woah woah woah, what the fuck?

TARGET – The Target Star Wars: The Force Awakens Blu-ray Combo Pack comes with exclusive packaging and an added 20 minutes of bonus content, including never-before-seen interviews with Daisy Ridley and John Boyega and a deeper look at the movie’s costumes and weaponry
WALMART – The Walmart Star Wars: The Force Awakens Blu-ray Combo Pack comes with exclusive BB-8 packaging and an exclusive Star Wars Galactic Connexions trading disc
BEST BUY – The Best Buy Star Wars: The Force Awakens Blu-ray Combo Pack features exclusive SteelBook Packaging

What the fuck is this? I don't really care about the Walmart version, but Target has 20 minutes of exclusive footage? And the only way to get the SteelBook is with a comparatively inferior version? Fuck this stupid fucking bullshit. It's bad enough with videogames (at least then it's completely inconsequential bullshit I can pick up on eBay for $5), but this is complete and total fuckery. Especially since I don't want to buy it from either of those stores.

Fuck off with this.

Hmm:

Empire is the scariest
Jedi is the silliest
Sith is the darkest
Empire sounds the best

I agree with the bolded :p

Target has 20 minutes of exclusive footage?

It's probably the fluffiest of fluff. And they told you what it was, too, so it likely breaks down like this:

5min w/ Ridley
5min w/ Boyega
5min w/ space guns
5min w/ space clothes.

It's probably all on a separate dvd with its own flimsy cardboard sleeve.

RobbieNick

Hmm:

Empire is the scariest
Jedi is the silliest
Sith is the darkest
Empire sounds the best

I agree 100%

It's probably the fluffiest of fluff. And they told you what it was, too, so it likely breaks down like this:

5min w/ Ridley
5min w/ Boyega
5min w/ space guns
5min w/ space clothes.

It's probably all on a separate dvd with its own flimsy cardboard sleeve.

Yeah, but I like that kind of shit. :|

GhaleonEB

Hmm:

Empire is the scariest
Jedi is the silliest
Sith is the darkest
Empire sounds the best
That's...a pretty great read. I agree with all of it but:

Sith tries to be the darkest, but Empire actually is
Star Wars has the most great moments, but Force awakens the best moment

Woah woah woah, what the fuck?

What the fuck is this? I don't really care about the Walmart version, but Target has 20 minutes of exclusive footage? And the only way to get the SteelBook is with a comparatively inferior version? Fuck this stupid fucking bullshit. It's bad enough with videogames (at least then it's completely inconsequential bullshit I can pick up on eBay for $5), but this is complete and total fuckery. Especially since I don't want to buy it from either of those stores.

Fuck off with this.
I like the idea of a variety of unique packaging (though they botched the execution), but the extra stuff for the Target edition really rubs me the wrong was as well. The fact that it's just 20 minutes on a second disc has me thinking it will be pretty throw-away content, though.

Sith tries to be the darkest, but Empire actually is
Star Wars has the most great moments, but Force awakens the best moment

The saber catch?

Saber catch is pretty goddamned amazing.

(partially because music from an amazing moment from Star Wars is playing underneath it, though)

I don't know if "I am your father" is actually the best moment in the series. Most memorable, obviously, but I dont' know if it's the BEST.

Star Wars has iffy pacing (Empire probably has the best pacing...Force Awakens moves too fast for its own good, actually) but the collection of moments is really, really strong.

TheXbox

VJHaw-.gif

- Darkest moment ✓
- Most emotional moment ✓
- Best visual moment ✓
- Best music cue ✓
- Best choreography ✓
- Best performance by Mark Hamill ✓
- Best moment ✓

VJHaw-.gif

- Darkest moment ✓
- Best visual moment ✓
- Best music cue ✓
- Best choreography ✓
- Best moment ✓

Yeeeeeah... Gonna have to agree with you there. That entire sequence was amazing. TFA has some pretty damn high points for me, but this is my personal top moment.

VJHaw-.gif

- Darkest moment ✓
- Best visual moment ✓
- Best music cue ✓
- Best choreography ✓
- Best moment ✓

That's not even top 5 best visual moments in Return of the Jedi, much less the entire saga. Sure as hell isn't the best music cue. Nor the best fight choreography. Hamill gives a better performance throughout most (if not all) of Empire.

WillyFive

Hmm:

Empire is the scariest
Jedi is the silliest
Sith is the darkest
Empire sounds the best

Good list. However, if you remove Frank Oz's Yoda, TFA would have the best performances.

Star Wars has iffy pacing (Empire probably has the best pacing...Force Awakens moves too fast for its own good, actually) but the collection of moments is really, really strong.

I would agree with this. Structurally, Empire is absolute perfection. TFA's pacing (and need for exposition) has always been the one real issue I have with it. Though I let it slide to an extent due to the fact that it's simultaneously a sequel that has to cover 30 years of universe changing events, start off an entire new trilogy with a brand new lead cast, and maneuver the new and old casts to unite. I think they did as well as they could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom