• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Door2Dawn

Banned
maniac-kun said:
so where the f**k is the beta?
6pj9g8i.gif

ViolentP

Asmodai said:
Some jokes don't work in text, they rely on tone and delivery. Your joke was one of those :lol

And to think my final response was revised. I need to get out of this office, I'm spent.

Belfast

Not sure if this is big news or not, but I got this in my inbox today:

Greetings!

This email is to inform you that you have been added to the database of StarCraft II beta invites.

An email will automatically be sent in the future to this email address with instructions on how to participate in the beta.

We look forward to seeing you in the StarCraft II beta soon!

- Blizzard Entertainment -

FYI, I won a key a few months back after entering a contest they were holding on Twitter.

System Requirements are out HERE!

Required

Processor: Intel Pentium IV 1.3GHz, AMD XP 1500+
Operating System: Windows XP / XP64 (Service Pack 3), Windows Vista / Vista64 (service Pack 1), Windows 7 Home Premium
Memory: (Windows XP) 512mb, (Windows Vista) 1024mb, (Windows 7) 1024mb
Video Card: 3D graphics processor with Hardware Transform and Lighting with 32 MB VRAM such as an ATI Radeon 7200 or NVIDIA GeForce 2 class card or better
Hard Drive Space: 15GB
DirectX: DirectX9.0c

Recommended

Processor: Intel Pentium D, AMD 64 X2
Operating System: Windows XP / XP64 (Service Pack 3), Windows Vista / Vista64 (service Pack 1), Windows 7 Home Premium
Memory: (Windows XP) 1024mb, (Windows Vista) 2048mb, (Windows 7) 2048mb
Video Card: 3D graphics processor with Vertex and Pixel Shader capability with 128 MB VRAM such as an ATI Radeon X1600 or NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT class card or better

Defcon

Banned
I figured they'd have an option in the game to run it in 2002 mode. Pretty cool that everyone will be able to play it.

survivor

Banned
Some people on TL said that the requirements are the same as Wrath of the Lich King so maybe these requirements were just placeholders?

F8AL

survivor said:
Some people on TL said that the requirements are the same as Wrath of the Lich King so maybe these requirements were just placeholders?

The requirements are wrong. Kotaku has an article on it.

"UPDATE: Blizzard just called to let us know that the system specs released on the page were not the system specs for the StarCraft II beta test. They are still trying to track down how the page appeared on the company's support site, suspecting that someone pasted specs from World of Warcraft into a new article. The link below is now dead, and Blizzard has a lot of phone calls to make.

Blizzard informed us that the real specs will most likely be released via a FAQ or the support site once the beta dates are announced."

Darklord

Banned
thedrizzle34 said:
System Requirements are out HERE!

Required

Processor: Intel Pentium IV 1.3GHz, AMD XP 1500+
Memory: (Windows XP) 512mb, (Windows Vista) 1024mb, (Windows 7) 1024mb
Video Card: 3D graphics processor with Hardware Transform and Lighting with 32 MB VRAM such as an ATI Radeon 7200 or NVIDIA GeForce 2 class card or better

Recommended

Processor: Intel Pentium D, AMD 64 X2
Memory: (Windows XP) 1024mb, (Windows Vista) 2048mb, (Windows 7) 2048mb
Video Card: 3D graphics processor with Vertex and Pixel Shader capability with 128 MB VRAM such as an ATI Radeon X1600 or NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT class card or better

GeForce 2? What the hell?:lol

This game will have to have the best optimized engine and scaling ever made.

K.Sabot

Yup, totally bogus.

"UPDATE: Blizzard just called to let us know that the system specs released on the page were not the system specs for the StarCraft II beta test. They are still trying to track down how the page appeared on the company's support site, suspecting that someone pasted specs from World of Warcraft into a new article. The link below is now dead, and Blizzard has a lot of phone calls to make."

Go Kotaku go!

:lol at the World of Warcraft bit. Hackers these days :lol

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
I'm probably going to regret this when Blizzard delays it again, but I thought it was a good time to bump this thread (despite the pointless bumps that have happened recently :p). There's lots of activity going on right now that seems to confirm almost undoubtedly that the SC2 beta is imminent. Some of this stuff has already been posted on GAF, but I just wanted to give a recap.

* SC2 beta FAQ. http://starcraft-source.com/article/news/view/?id=446

* Zhydaris talks SC2 beta invites. http://starcraft-source.com/article/news/view/?id=445

* SC2 beta later in February? Confirmed by Mike Morhaime. http://sclegacy.com/news/23-sc2/589-starcraft-ii-beta-later-this-month
20100210-blizzardinfo.jpg

* Replay feature and baneling "mines". http://starfeeder.gameriot.com/blog...t-2-Replay-feature-updates-and-Baneling-mines

* Battle.net preview. http://www.starcraft2.com/features/misc/battlenet.xml

Edited this into the OP too.

Hold onto your hats... it's getting close now.

Zzoram

Oh Blizzard. This thread is 8 months old and the beta still isn't out. How busted was Battle.net2 for them to have to delay the beta this long?

Sanjay

"You must have at least one full version of a Blizzard Entertainment game attached to this Battle.net account in order to set up your beta profile."

Balls.

Zzoram

Sanjay said:
"You must have at least one full version of a Blizzard Entertainment game attached to this Battle.net account in order to set up your beta profile."

Balls.

You really don't own a Blizzard game? Seriously?

Sanjay said:

Balls.

You want the SC2 Beta and you dont own SC1?

http://eu.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=210000002! BUY IT!

Or You can grab WoW, Its only EUR 5

Sanjay

Subliminal said:
You want the SC2 Beta and you dont own SC1?

http://eu.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=210000002! BUY IT!

Or You can grab WoW, Its only EUR 5

I'm a huge fan of RTS games so why would I not be interested in SC2, specially when people hail SC1 to the mother of all RTS games. I missed out on SC1 at the time, I went the Age of Empires II path. I see no point getting SC1 now as SC2 is coming out soon.

Zzoram

The last week of a Blizzard beta is generally very open. I remember getting into the WoW beta, but that may be because I was trying to play the game with a GeForce 2MX and they wanted to see if I could pull it off :lol

Sanjay said:
I'm a huge fan of RTS games so why would I not be interested in SC2, specially when people hail SC1 to the mother of all RTS games. I missed out on SC1 at the time, I went the Age of Empires II path. I see no point getting SC1 now as SC2 is coming out soon.

Well, tbh. You might not like SC, Its not for everybody, For £9.99 you might as well try it out.

Zzoram

Subliminal said:
Well, tbh. You might not like SC, Its not for everybody, For £9.99 you might as well try it out.

SC2 is more accessible so I think it makes more sense for him to start there.

Sanjay

Zzoram said:
The last week of a Blizzard beta is generally very open. I remember getting into the WoW beta, but that may be because I was trying to play the game with a GeForce 2MX and they wanted to see if I could pull it off :lol

Well you might be lucky this time too then the game supporting Geforce 2 :lol

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Zzoram said:
The two most recent expansion betas for WoW have been relatively closed their entire run though.

Zzoram

Sanjay said:
Well you might be lucky this time too then the game supporting Geforce 2 :lol

I have an HD4870 now, they won't want me to test the game. I suspect they give preferance to garbage video cards to try to hit a wider audience.

Shambles

Zzoram said:
I have an HD4870 now, they won't want me to test the game. I suspect they give preferance to garbage video cards to try to hit a wider audience.

I'm thinking the same. I'm half tempted to change my specs to my piddly laptop

Minsc

Gold Member
Zzoram said:

I'm a previous Blizzard beta tester, don't think that counts for anything though... I think they'll want to test high end as well as low end, they're not going to want all the beta impressions about choppy awful performance!

They might even disable a bunch of the video options for the beta (or perhaps not give you full access to the options menus), so you can't overwhelm older machines so easily.

Shambles said:
I'm thinking the same. I'm half tempted to change my specs to my piddly laptop

I'm using a 3 year old Macbook Pro. Hoping that combination of being a Mac and being kinda old will be enough to get me in.

Shambles

Minsc said:
I'm a previous Blizzard beta tester, don't think that counts for anything though... I think they'll want to test high end as well as low end, they're not going to want all the beta impressions about choppy awful performance!

They might even disable a bunch of the video options for the beta (or perhaps not give you full access to the options menus), so you can't overwhelm older machines so easily.

The idea is that there is a lot more people with 4870's out there who would also be more aware of the beta than there are people running around with gimped 7600 Go's.

Minsc

Gold Member
Shalashaska161 said:
I'm using a 3 year old Macbook Pro. Hoping that combination of being a Mac and being kinda old will be enough to get me in.

They're not doing any beta testing w/ Macs I thought I read in the other thread.

Top Bottom