• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The Lamonster said:
What is the definition of cheese? Is it when someone builds a building near your base or is it any kind of harassment?

"Cheese" is basically any sort of non-traditional, extreme risk build meant to end games very quickly. Proxy gateways/barracks, cannon rush, 6 pool, SCV rush, that kind of thing.

Ratsofatsorat said:
There are many kinds of cheese. Swiss cheese. Soft cheese. Then you have like a cheddar cheese.

You may eventually run into Cheese Louise.
Please do not forget cheddar cheese. Also, some call it cheese.

Like I remember someone geting their planetary fortress asap in a tvp once and lifting off with scv's in tow and a barracks to his opponents base where he kills everything with that and a marine or two xD

That's cheese

ZealousD said:
"Cheese" is basically any sort of non-traditional, extreme risk build meant to end games very quickly. Proxy gateways/barracks, cannon rush, 6 pool, SCV rush, that kind of thing.
Cool. I was thinking about trying to build a Factory near my opponent's base and running in a few siege tanks...

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
The Lamonster said:
Cool. I was thinking about trying to build a Factory near my opponent's base and running in a few siege tanks...
no, you were think of lifting the factory into their natural on kulas and seiging from there.

Pandaman said:
no, you were think of lifting the factory into their natural on kulas and seiging from there.
oh hey good idea!

I mean you're right. I was.

3121331680_4b07c7ae1e_o.jpg

Apath

The Lamonster said:
I just googled the map name to see which map he was talking about.
Mm. Makes me laugh when people say it doesn't look much better than WC3. I love how the texturing on the map slowly moves from lush green to dirt without any sudden changes. It's going to be amazing what people are doing with it when the Galaxy Editor is released.

And what is the max player count in a custom game? 12 (2v2 with 8 spectators)?

Apath

Milabrega said:
We've had a 2v2 with 13 spectators and room for more.
Do you think that reflects a potential mass player count, or were the spectators completely separate from the players in the pre-game lobby?

yah! 4v4 here we coooooooooooooooome

P.S.: the major reason i haven't been wanting to play that much is I only like big team games and comp stomp. 1v1 is not my cup of tea and 2v2 ends way too quickly.

Meeru

Banned
Ice Monkey said:
yah! 4v4 here we coooooooooooooooome

P.S.: the major reason i haven't been wanting to play that much is I only like big team games and comp stomp. 1v1 is not my cup of tea and 2v2 ends way too quickly.
In other words, you can't handle your own self and like to rely on your teammates :lol

Milabrega said:
We've had a 2v2 with 13 spectators and room for more.
Jeez! So what's the max 20? I wonder what the max x vs x blizzard will allow, like for wc3 the max ladder was for 4vs4 but in custom game you could do at least 5v5, maybe more I dun remember

hobart

Yah bnet is down. I was in the process of dismantling some chap's mass Stalker strat when I was abruptly told:

You've been dropped.

:(

Working thru the practice matches right now... if only to pick up some hot keys and unit management. Man it's been so long. Can't believe how good looking this game is compared to all the vids I was watching! Slow pace is annoying... and so is not being able to scout. I think I'm rushing Obs just so I can get a peak of what I'm up against.

Apath

Orangepeel said:
Jeez! So what's the max 20? I wonder what the max x vs x blizzard will allow, like for wc3 the max ladder was for 4vs4 but in custom game you could do at least 5v5, maybe more I dun remember
6v6.

Apath

JWong said:
Hope for Big Game Hunter funtimes for noobs.
Those games always suck. You can only mass a supreme amount of shit and ram it into another's abomination so many times before it gets old.

Vaporak

Hey GAF, anyone got any advice for the early game for a Protoss player (Bronze league)? It just seems like the Terran and Zerg tier one army is better than what the Protoss can field. Especially the Zerg. :(

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Vaporak said:
Hey GAF, anyone got any advice for the early game for a Protoss player (Bronze league)? It just seems like the Terran and Zerg tier one army is better than what the Protoss can field. Especially the Zerg. :(
they are.

vs zerg, rush to immortals and have sentrys support your zealots.

Vaporak said:
Well at least now I know I wasn't just being a scrub. Any advice for fighting Terrans?

pray? vs mmm you can likely only get away with zealots with charge and atk/arm, mad micro with stalkers, dark templars if they dont have detectors, colossi with a meat shield in front of them, high templar with psi storm or carriers. notice how high tech all those are except for zealots and stalkers and I shouldnt have even mentioned stalkers because they arent a good counter.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Pandaman said:
they are.

vs zerg, rush to immortals and have sentrys support your zealots.
Adding to this, always be ready for a rush and block any ramps you might have with pylons/gateways and zealots. Roaches and zergs lose to a strong wall.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Vaporak said:
Well at least now I know I wasn't just being a scrub. Any advice for fighting Terrans?
the matchup is just bad. atm, i go templar as storm will wreck MMM balls and it opens up the zealot legs tech. templar aren't as good when you're taking a choke though so i sometimes try to respec to colossus. the problem is you need to squeeze in two seperate T3 tech before the terran goes air, once that happens you'll just slowly lose.

im still trying to work on my protoss builds though, so maybe colossus first can work. it seems people rush down hard if they scout a quick cyborg core and i have trouble getting my colossus out in time. :(

all those problems aside, i suggest using sentrys and zealots in t1 PvT fights. i've had some success using the sentrys to hallucinate colossus's and bait a stim+focus fire. it can give your zealots time to close in and get critical kills aswell as give you time to cast guardian shield or micromanage a forcefield.

also yeah haly is right, dont be afraid to wall against zerg since you'll be quick teching past zealots and into ranged units asap.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
also rush shit down if you scout a muta rush, i think toss are a very interesting race atm because of there tools but air and early rushes can ruin them. once you're in the midgame and crushed that first rush they are crazy powerful so dont be afraid to push out once the enemies first plan fails. warpgates and robotics give you alot of options in the midgame.

against zerg in the midgame, pop out an observer and if you see them respeccing mutas, push and you'll win. if you see that they're sticking to roaches add in a few more immortals, push and win. terrans can be harder because the usual reactor on the starport can make colossus's weak quickly. thats usually why i try to keep templar around. I dont really have a mid to endgame plan versus terran so i cant really help much there, i am also still learning. :(

Man, Immortals just kill the shit out of Roaches. I pushed against me opponent with 4 or 5 immortals and a handful of Zealots and wiped out about 15 Roaches and his base. Man that felt good, I am starting to fall in love with this game.:D

Vaporak said:
Sentrys! Sentries? Sentry(ies)!!

Use their range attack shield thing, sorry name yeah :3, but more importantly make use of their wall ability, stop them from being able to micro around you. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the stalkers range also more then a roach? Block them off and take pot shots.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Orangepeel said:
Sentrys! Sentries? Sentry(ies)!!

Look for replays with the player "orb". I think there's two on Husky's Youtube channel. He is a goddamn MONSTER with sentries.

TurtleSnatcher said:
i havent seen anyone use illusions yet.. makes me kinda want too :)

Do they have a decent amount of life.. can detectors see through em?

I've read detectors can tell the difference I think, don't they also die faster too?

I always thought it was a weird decision if they can tell the difference, I mean I'm pretty sure hallucination isn't overpowered in sc1 right? Maybe the fact that you can make a copy of any unit you want, without even having the proper tech makes some weird difference.

Top Bottom