• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Gribbix

KaYotiX said:
i am, oh i am.....

Played for about 7 hrs tonight LOL too many good players in the beta right now :p
Yep. I just played two games and did terribly in both. I'm wasting too much time setting up expansions so I barely have any units available by the time my opponent strikes.

So...these "waves" of invites....when will the next wave go out? Is it a matter of weeks? Or should I get my hopes up for tomorrow?

god damn this music is good

Edit: Watching these videos....I think the best improvement in the whole game is the unit pathfinding :lol

Sloegr

Louminater said:
np, they've been killing. They're the third best 2v2 players right now. But they just now lost, roaches are killer!

Yeah, that was a tough one. Both sides obviously knew what they were doing. And roaches.

Would love to see a replay on that game to see exactly what was going on.

Arzehn

ElJuice said:
Yeah, that was a tough one. Both sides obviously knew what they were doing. And roaches.

Would love to see a replay on that game to see exactly what was going on.

I too am interested in the roach counter after watching that game.

mcrae

this game looks sooooo fun. i cannot wait to try it out... though it will probably be months.

(and to think, i used to beleive watching people play games ala-south korea was stupid... how the tables have turned lol)

thanks a bunch for the high quality starcraft method stream. being able to read in-game text is awesome.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Man...this game is brutal online. haven't won a game since I installed it but still manage to have fun. 6 game losing streak now? :lol

Gribbix

Quick non-gameplay complaint: The character naming system is kind of obtuse.

When you first sign in with your battle.net account, the game asks you for a character name. Once you enter that, it then asks for an identifier. The game says the identifier is required to tell you apart from other players with the same character name. However, the description seems to suggest that other players won't see the identifier and that it's mainly used for internal database purposes in order to differentiate players with the same character names. Unfortunately, anyone you add to your friends lists can see the entire name which appears as [character].[identifier]. I assumed it would only be visible to friends who were added via the RealID system. The entire name also appears as your handle next to all of your posts on the battle.net forums.

This is particularly lame since you can't change a character name or identifier once it's created nor can you delete/create a new character. Hopefully they'll let us change it in the future or at least wipe all the character/identifier names once the beta is over. I'm guessing with the final retail game, the [character].[identifier] names are going to be permanent unless you pay to change it as is the case with WoW.

You guys who get into the beta in the next waves should keep this in mind when you first log in.

Totakeke

Wow, you guys weren't kidding when you said the music is good. Warcraft 2 still is my favorite RTS music but this may change that.

Still not going to bother watching streams until I get to play it myself.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Watching that method link now. The game is so fluid, pretty, the chat system seems to work .. god damn blizzard take my money!

Sloegr

mcrae said:
this game looks sooooo fun. i cannot wait to try it out... though it will probably be months.

(and to think, i used to beleive watching people play games ala-south korea was stupid... how the tables have turned lol)

thanks a bunch for the high quality starcraft method stream. being able to read in-game text is awesome.

Haha, yeah, I used to think watching people play video games was dumb as well. Then they had a GOMTV Starcraft tourney in English... now I watch it all the time.

SC2 is glossy and nice to look at, but I have no idea WTF most of the units and buildings do right now :lol

Hazaro said:
Ok I really need to sleep.

But Husky and Lumi are going to play again.

Goddamit. (Last one)
Oh god yes. I didn't even get into the beta and already this game is causing me to lose what precious amount of sleep I had. I keep watching all these damn live streams! The no NDA thing is a blessing and a curse, I swear.

In more important news, WHY WON'T YOU LET ME IN, BLIZZARD?!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
FromTheFuture said:
Oh god yes. I didn't even get into the beta and already this game is causing me to lose what precious amount of sleep I had. I keep watching all these damn live streams! The no NDA thing is a blessing and a curse, I swear.

In more important news, WHY WON'T YOU LET ME IN, BLIZZARD?!
Doesn't help that I found out Lumi's stream is in HD.
darkpaladinmfc said:
Is there any in-game help for bad players?
There is a full tech tree and unit HP/counter/strength/build time/cost thing in game.

Gameplay wise just spend money.

Hazaro said:
Doesn't help that I found out Lumi's stream is in HD.
There's a WHAT?

Damn you to hell, Hazaro. Link me!

Edit. Found the stream. Wow, looks a lot clearer than the other streams I've been watching, albeit at a lower resolution. Still, I've been missing out. Then again, it's just making me want the beta more and more.

Gribbix said:
Quick non-gameplay complaint: The character naming system is kind of obtuse.

When you first sign in with your battle.net account, the game asks you for a character name. Once you enter that, it then asks for an identifier. The game says the identifier is required to tell you apart from other players with the same character name. However, the description seems to suggest that other players won't see the identifier and that it's mainly used for internal database purposes in order to differentiate players with the same character names. Unfortunately, anyone you add to your friends lists can see the entire name which appears as [character].[identifier]. I assumed it would only be visible to friends who were added via the RealID system. The entire name also appears as your handle next to all of your posts on the battle.net forums.

This is particularly lame since you can't change a character name or identifier once it's created nor can you delete/create a new character. Hopefully they'll let us change it in the future or at least wipe all the character/identifier names once the beta is over. I'm guessing with the final retail game, the [character].[identifier] names are going to be permanent unless you pay to change it as is the case with WoW.

You guys who get into the beta in the next waves should keep this in mind when you first log in.

So are identifiers essentially clans/guilds names?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
husky and method have ended, any other english streams atm?

[or spare beta keys?]

viewer minutes:
1,040,801 Last 24 hrs

i said wow.

maniac-kun said:
well blizzard is not sending out keys in any form so its fake
when you get invited the game automaticaly appears in your battle.net account no key anywhere.
and the people with the beta invite from blizzcon had the key in paper form
Not true. They had a key on a pass and entered it into the blizzard site.
Yesterday Blizzard send them the real sc2 key by email.

So yes, those auctions for keys by email are mostly valid.

Kinyou

Does the invite come per e-mail or does the battle.net account get updated?

I'm tired of hectically refreshing both. :lol

Edit: Oh just read a bit through the Thread, never mind.

Johann

YYZ said:
So what's the hard counter to mass banelings?

Use the Sentry's Force Field to create chokepoints, corral them with Stalkers, nuke them with Psi-storm, or don't play against David Kim.

YYZ

Johann said:
Use the Sentry's Force Field to create chokepoints, corral them with Stalkers, nuke them with Psi-storm, or don't play against David Kim.
Can you get banelings well before those counters though?

taoofjord

Played a couple games, I'm absolutely amazed by it. Blizzard has outdone themselves again and remain #1 when it comes to designing UI's and focusing on art over tech to make the game a looker (and oh damn is it gorgeous in motion). The music is ridiculously good, too, and the whole battlenet integration and interface is a delight to use. It all feels so tactile.

Top Bottom