• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

scoobs

Zerg player here, im silver/gold on teh border but I seriously have the hardest time versus terran. MMM seems impossible to counter for me... even if i have the larger army i feel like im at a disadvantage because of how powerful marauders are w/ stim pack. I try teching to hydras or mutas and the guys stim pack timing push catches me off guard and steam rolls my base.

Ugh! Why do marauders exist :( they are the bane of my existence in SC2

scoobs said:
Zerg player here, im silver/gold on teh border but I seriously have the hardest time versus terran. MMM seems impossible to counter for me... even if i have the larger army i feel like im at a disadvantage because of how powerful marauders are w/ stim pack. I try teching to hydras or mutas and the guys stim pack timing push catches me off guard and steam rolls my base.

My reccomendation is to not overlook the infestor. Use that fungal growth or whatever. It deals a little damage and makes it so their units can't move, giving you time to escape. Also use the terrain toy our advantage and try to get a good surround. Attack from multiple sides with 2 control groups if possible.

If hes stickign with MMM into a long game and you can hold out long enough and grab enough resouces, the tier 3 brood lords will absolutely destroy the MMM ball.

I shouldn't be telling you this, since I play Terran mostly lol.

Zertez

scoobs said:

I try to use a mixtures of Roaches and Banelings to wipe out the Marauders. Upgraded Roach with borrow, quick move, borrow regen and borrow movement, is nasty against a lot of early Terran forces.

I've found that having a good 5-10 banelings in the back of your forces can work wonders against MMM. One Baneling can hit upto 15 Marines or Marauders.

fanboi

Banned
Has anyone tried this in a 2v2:

A baneling levitated by Anti-Gravity explodes when destroyed,[25] dealing damage to air units. This can open up new tactics in team games

Would be awesome :lol

raphier

Banned
fanboi said:
Has anyone tried this in a 2v2:

A baneling levitated by Anti-Gravity explodes when destroyed,[25] dealing damage to air units. This can open up new tactics in team games

Would be awesome :lol
What anti-gravity are you talking about o.0 ?

fanboi said:
If you play protoss and team mate plays zerg, they could do it :)
Oh, you mean Phoenix?!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ahoyhoy said:
I disagree on the PvT standpoint because I am on the T spectrum and feel that against a Protoss that is competent and can do a proper build order + scout you can't do much against them.

The standard 3 tech rax push is easily deflected, even the fast ghost + 3 tech rax with 2 EMP is rendered moot by a single forcefield, or even more of them to buy the Toss time. After they tech it's all over for T so you have to finish them off early.

It's an all in strat, you have nothing else left over... and that is the problem right now in SC II.

We are seeing heavy 1 base play since that's what most people know right now and feel safe doing. Macro games are much harder to win, especially when everyone is in the mindset of mainly going off 1 base for a decent amount of time (no fast expansions).

Just my thoughts so far.

ChronicleX said:
If anyone as Protoss is having problems vs Terrans try rushing Dark Templars and warping them in the back. Most of the time you can take out their entire eco in 1 blow with 2-4 of them.
What do you mean by 'warping' them into the back? I play terran, and also got worked by a handful of DT's to lose the game, but the opponent used the prism transport thingy to get them into my base. DT's can take out an SCV with a single blow, and make short work of anything they get their hands on.

They took out my siege tanks in seconds as well, opening up my static defenses to ground forces.

rsam87

LaneDS said:
Looking for 1v1 PvT advice... I still lose the majority of my matches 1v1 against Terran to early pushes. I almost always build for an early stalker to prevent an early reaper (which just about always appears), and then I get raped by mass marauders before I can get colossi up.

Not having much of a problem against Zerg or Protoss players, but when I see Terran as my opponent, I sigh. Any advice?

I was recently having trouble with PvTerran as well. It seems like the standard play right now is to go 1 gate with 1 stalker to prevent reaper, then go to stargate instead of robo to chrono a void ray. You can get it charged up by shooting your own proxy pylon and take out their gas, or just go in, it delays their MMM push by a lot if you can take out a gas + some workers. 2-3 voids are good enough to take out a good ball of marines, especially after they're charged.

After which you get collossi or DT drop and play on.

That build sort of requires the terrans to scout you early and spend money to counter or they'll try to base race you, which they will lose because void rays will blow up buildings faster than anything, any extra minerals should be going to zealots, try to get charge and warp gates in between building voids.

Might as well introduce myself here! I've been browsing around on GAF for a while but never really posted.

Silver in SC2 right now but I'm looking to move up!!

Meeru

Banned
Hazaro said:
I disagree on the PvT standpoint because I am on the T spectrum and feel that against a Protoss that is competent and can do a proper build order + scout you can't do much against them.

The standard 3 tech rax push is easily deflected, even the fast ghost + 3 tech rax with 2 EMP is rendered moot by a single forcefield, or even more of them to buy the Toss time. After they tech it's all over for T so you have to finish them off early.

It's an all in strat, you have nothing else left over... and that is the problem right now in SC II.

We are seeing heavy 1 base play since that's what most people know right now and feel safe doing. Macro games are much harder to win, especially when everyone is in the mindset of mainly going off 1 base for a decent amount of time (no fast expansions).

Just my thoughts so far.
Oh how times have changed..>:)

joelseph

MrCompletely said:
What do you mean by 'warping' them into the back? I play terran, and also got worked by a handful of DT's to lose the game, but the opponent used the prism transport thingy to get them into my base.

The transport can lay down a temporary energy field to allow gates to warp units in.

Yaweee

MrCompletely said:
What do you mean by 'warping' them into the back? I play terran, and also got worked by a handful of DT's to lose the game, but the opponent used the prism transport thingy to get them into my base. DT's can take out an SCV with a single blow, and make short work of anything they get their hands on.

They took out my siege tanks in seconds as well, opening up my static defenses to ground forces.

Like joelseph said, the Warp Prisms have a special mode you can toggle where they become stationary but act as a floating pylon, allowing them to power nearby buildings, allow probes to lay down buildings within the energy field, and allowing Warp Gates to spawn units nearby.

mbmonk

Yaweee said:
Like joelseph said, the Warp Prisms have a special mode you can toggle where they become stationary but act as a floating pylon, allowing them to power nearby buildings, allow probes to lay down buildings within the energy field, and allowing Warp Gates to spawn units nearby.

One idea I had and only used once or twice was pack a probe in the Warp Prism, fly near the opponents base ( but not too close ), Drop the probe off, Set the prism to energy mode, build a cannon first to protect my warp in location. Then if I want build a pylon and then move the prism away I can.

msv

Hazaro said:

Gretorp has a VOD of his mass Ghost strat vs Protoss. Apparently it works really well, but you gotta make marauders/marines still. They're the back up for the ghosts (and after a while other units as well ofc). Everytime you get 125? gas make a ghost, inbetween make rines and rauders.

Check out his latest vod's via TL, his strategy worked pretty well.

ahoyhoy said:
Marauders prevent you from ever reaching Tier 2. They put enough pressure on you so early that you can't spare any resources in order to tech up. You get stuck in Tier 1 massing Lings/Banelings while he keeps sending more Marauders at you. Even if you get a Mutalisk out, a few marines make short work of it.
www.youtube.com/psystarcraft <--- Zerg player that owns. Watch his casts, he explains his own strategies, should be some good info for you.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
DT's are only a sure thing against Zerg players, as Overseers are extremely expensive and hard to maneuver around. Send 1 in the front of his base to distract the 1 Overseer he probably has, and send the rest towards their Drones.

I find it almost impossible to use DT's against Terran players. Any half-decent Terran will have Comm Sweep on hotkey, thus reducing the DT's effectiveness to only taking like 2-3 swings before they're mowed down by the MMM/Banshees

msv said:
www.youtube.com/psystarcraft <--- Zerg player that owns. Watch his casts, he explains his own strategies, should be some good info for you.

I'll watch some of those, thanks.

Kinyou

Really need to fill up my friends list, so in case you don't mind my noobish skills, just add me.

Playing on European Server.

Anvil.kinyou

msv

joelseph said:
Can you recommend any good protoss channels?
The Lamonster said:
Or Terran, please!
I don't know any T/P youtube specific channels, but you can check out the livestreams from TeamLiquid --> http://www.teamliquid.net/video/userstream.php

You can see their race in the top right. Watch Gretorp's stream for a good T player that explains his strategies in-depth. He's talking all the time (yes, even when playing), mostly talking about bopping clowns, but also alot of strategy.

Seems that Nony has a channel too, that's a good Protoss player. Dunno how much he's on there though, but maybe there are some VOD's. Some of the good P players are HasuObs, KawaiiRice(sp?), Nony, WhiteRa (has won lots of tourneys), etc. etc.

There are casts on teamliquid (day9 stream), www.youtube.com/hdstarcraft , www.youtube.com/huskystarcraft .

Find good replays on www.sc2win.com , search for the better players and watch some of the replays (if you can't find any casts of em).

Corum

Kinyou said:
Really need to fill up my friends list, so in case you don't mind my noobish skills, just add me.

Playing on European Server.

Anvil.kinyou

chris-013 said:
EU List:

fanboi --> fanboi.gaf
corum --> corum.corum
maniac-kun --> maniackun.gaf
Belgorim --> belgorim.alvar
Des0lar --> Desolar.darudin
msv --> msv.whaeva
raphier --> rainy.raphier
V_Arnold -> Oldern.gaf
Mr Cola --> Frack.lehat
zoukka -> zoukka.fin
FoxSpirit -> FoxSpirit.legacy
NIN90 -> NIN.gaf
Subliminal.fortytwo
banzai.banzai
ChrisXIII.fra

There's a few of us.

LaneDS

Good tips in here on PvT, thanks guys.

Going to try both the early void rays (which I'm terrible at incorporating into my playstyle so far) and a DT drop (would probably go stalker+sentry to try holding any possible push while dropping, since it would take a while to go Robotics Facility + Twilight Council + Dark Templar Building Thinger and presumably not get run over).

That said, I watched an older replay of KawaiiRice vs Azz last night on Husky's channel that made Toss look totally impressive (imagine that, top end players making a race look impressive!), so clearly I just need to play more and figure out how to beat Terran better.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
LaneDS said:

Going to try both the early void rays (which I'm terrible at incorporating into my playstyle so far) and a DT drop (would probably go stalker+sentry to try holding any possible push while dropping, since it would take a while to go Robotics Facility + Twilight Council + Dark Templar Building Thinger and presumably not get run over).

That said, I watched an older replay of KawaiiRice vs Azz last night on Husky's channel that made Toss look totally impressive (imagine that, top end players making a race look impressive!), so clearly I just need to play more and figure out how to beat Terran better.

I don't see how Void's are going to be effective against Stim'd, potentially Medivac'd Marines though. Unless you get a shit ton, which they will then match soundly with Vikings.

MrCompletely said:

The tech allows their transports to be mini warp gates dropoffs. One that is researched any unit can be instantly made from a warpgate to any point on the map they have a power field. That is also why protoss randomly stick pylons in the middle of no-where.

If you see people warping in behind you with DT's check the sides of your base that you have not built on too (if you survive). When I do this I also like to take a prob along with me and stick a pylon at the edge with photon cannons (if I have them) in order to provide a secure point for my DT's to run back to should they be spotted. Sometimes I can be a real douche and stick it right behind the minerals.

But yeah I have not lost to a Terran by rushing DT's yet. It sometimes works vs protoss depending on if they rush me and vs the zerg it is just way too risky, I really hate the zerg.

LaneDS said:

It is really easy to rush DT in around 8 mins or so with the correct build order, you can delay it by a minute if you want to get some extra zelots depending on the map/foe. Vs Terrans though they always turtle and have poor early detect which makes this very effective.

ahoyhoy said:
I don't see how Void's are going to be effective against Stim'd, potentially Medivac'd Marines though. Unless you get a shit ton, which they will then match soundly with Vikings.

Mass void rays rape as they keep their full charged beam up between targets for a brief moment. If you have around 5/6 of them and they do damage without dying for more than 5 seconds you have won the battle most of the time. You just need some immortals to back them up.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention. Name ingame is Invader.zim if anyone wants to add me, EU beta.

ChronicleX said:
But yeah I have not lost to a Terran by rushing DT's yet. It sometimes works vs protoss depending on if they rush me and vs the zerg it is just way too risky, I really hate the zerg.

Really? I find zerg to be the easiest because by the time I get DTs out there, they don't have any overseers yet. Protoss is hit or miss with me as well. Terran it almost never works because a comm sweep renders DTs useless. Which is fine, I usually rush void rays when I play against terran anyway.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Azwethinkweiz said:
Really? I find zerg to be the easiest because by the time I get DTs out there, they don't have any overseers yet. Protoss is hit or miss with me as well. Terran it almost never works because a comm sweep renders DTs useless. Which is fine, I usually rush void rays when I play against terran anyway.

Pretty much this. Comm Sweep invalidates DT's almost entirely. Sure, you can get a few swings in, but not nearly enough to make them worthwhile against T in Tier 3.

Milabrega

Gamasutra: Analyst: StarCraft 2 To Sell 5 Million In First Year

gamasutra article said:
Blizzard announced StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty's July 27 launch date yesterday, putting an end to some timing uncertainty that had weighed on publisher Activision's shares. And when the game hits, says Cowen group analyst Doug Creutz, it could sell about 5 million units globally in its first year.

Set after the events of StarCraft: Brood War, StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty features a 29-mission solo campaign,

5 Millions WW seems a little low in an age where console shooters put up similar or greater numbers. Also, the single player is only 29 missions, wat. Kind of short considering a lot of the missions shown thus far look like your standard rts 10 minute fair and there's only the Terran campaign.

Ferrio

Banned
ahoyhoy said:
Pretty much this. Comm Sweep invalidates DT's almost entirely. Sure, you can get a few swings in, but not nearly enough to make them worthwhile against T in Tier 3.

I always figured that too, but I really need to test it. Mixing like 2 of them in an army, maybe the Terran player won't notice in all the commotion? Or maybe annoy them enough to waste scans... a thought. But ya, I've only used them against zerg.

Azwethinkweiz said:

If they comm sweep you can just kite them with them until it ends, or you can do what I do and warp in some decoy units to attack away from your DT's so they do not think of using comm sweep. I normally use the Zelots I was defending my base with over in the prism for this.

LaneDS

Milabrega said:

5 Millions WW seems a little low in an age where console shooters put up similar or greater numbers. Also, the single player is only 29 missions, wat. Kind of short considering a lot of the missions shown thus far look like your standard rts 10 minute fair and there's only the Terran campaign.

I think 29 missions for a Blizz RTS sounds like plenty to me.

And considering how I've played hundreds of matches in the beta alone, frankly I'd happily fork over $60 to Blizzard for the MP alone... so an awesome single player campaign of any length is just gravy.

In other news, going to try rushing DTs. To those that mentioned this above, do you think you need to have expanded to rush DTs or can you have a big enough economy with your starting base to get them into action? Just trying to figure out the timing in my head.

Interfectum

Milabrega said:

The original Starcraft had 30 missions. Why the fuck are we still talking about this shit?

Yaweee

One of the factors that got me to stop playing Protoss (for the time being) is how ineffective Dark Templar are in most games, at least at the Gold/Platinum level.

- Against Terran, all it takes is a single appropriately placed scanner sweep to see the building under construction and they'll start getting towers. That can be a nice fake into getting them to spend more resources on counter measures, but holy fuck it costs 250 gas! Ravens are generally a nice unit to get, and there's no clear Protoss counter against them. Also, GHOST EMP DISABLES DT CLOAK TEMPORARILY. Might be ridiculous to bold and caps, but, really, it's astonishing, and any good Terran is going to get a Ghost for anti-shield EMP against Protoss.

I disagree with the effectiveness of scanner sweeping. It's good in a pinch, but not a final solution, as the foregone mineral is likely worth more than the cost of a DT

- Against Zerg, DTs are likely useless rushed fast. Once the Lair is up, any overlord can be made an overseer. Sure, it costs 100 gas, but the transformation is generally fast, and a few spore creepers surrounded by a ground force will make do otherwise.

- In a PvP mirror match, observers are too commonplace. Most will pump one out before they start getting Immortals, and forges are also very common.

Generally, they can be a nice surprise, but having to get two buildings is expensive and time consuming, and can easily cost you the game to a timing push.

Mudkips

Banned
Com Sweep doesn't do shit to stop DT rushes.

They're only visible for a few seconds, and they can just run away and come back. Com Sweeps take a ton of energy, most of which should spent on mules as Terran early on.

The orbital command upgrade takes plenty of time to research - time you're not building extra SCVs. Protoss on the other hand get to Chrono Boost their Probes. Early Terran economy relies on the mule drop.

If your CC is hit by DTs and you lift it off to save it, you then can't use the Com Sweep to scan for and finish off the DTs. Missile turrets go down so fast, a single one isn't much of a deterrent, either.

An early Terran player basically has to choose between killing his economy by throwing in the Engineering Bay and ponying up for several missile turrets (you need at least 1 by your ramp and at least 2 by your CC if you don't want to get destroyed), the armor upgrade, and probably the range upgrade, or risking it and running naked against stealth for a while.

As Protoss, if you have 3 or 4 DTs reasonably early, there's nothing Terran can do.
If you can warp in (or walk in) unnoticed (players CAN see the stealthed units moving, at least on the highest graphic settings), simply sit by the CC and wait for them to mule drop. Then move in. If they're keeping spare energy for a scan, move 1 DT in, then run when the scan goes off. Then move them all in afterward.
If you can't warp / walk in unnoticed, just do a few hit and runs on the wall. Each scan used is a significant setback to the Terran economy (because it's not spent on a mule). If he puts up turrets behind his wall, that's an even more significant hit.

They should make the Com Sweep take 40 energy instead of 50.
(And they should make the supply drop thing actually useful somehow.)

As Terran, I usually am liberal with the missile turrets if I'm fighting Protoss.
Typically, though, that investment will screw you bad if you're going against Terran, and worse if you're against Zerg. Of course, you don't need those turrets as much against Zerg or Terran. But I don't play 1v1, damn it!

Chris R

Thing is the T player should be able to use a single scan by the time DTs would be about ready to enter play to see what tech the P player is going. If I was a T and saw a Twilight Council before a Stargate/Robo well then I might build a missle turret or two. If you have done no scouting at all before the P player can warp DTs in, you deserve to lose a few scvs. Same goes for a proxy pylon / warp prism. I mean by that time in a game you should have at least a single air unit, use it to make sure they can't try to proxy you.

Cru Jones

Azwethinkweiz said:

All you have to do is warp in 4. Send one in to the mineral line, let him use his comm sweep… if he still has energy, I will usually put one in the mineral line and depending on his base layout I will try and hit the starport (with one of them), and then maybe a barracks or factory (with the other). The important thing to remember is that if he still has energy after the first sweep, you need to split the three DTs up and make sure they are far enough away from each other that only one of them could be hit by a sweep. Keep a lookout for him building turrets around his base, if he is, make these your top priority. If you can warp a few more DT’s in at this point, do so.

Once he is out of sweeps, concentrate on his economy and then the CC (you don’t want to wait too long on the CC as he might be able to get another sweep in). If he was massing units, at this point he might go all in. If it is an MMM ball, you know that he won’t have a counter for DT’s, so warp a few in to defend your base and he should GG.

If he is multi base, then you'll want to hit both at the same time, employing the same strategy (you'll need at least 3 at each base).

rhfb said:
Thing is the T player should be able to use a single scan by the time DTs would be about ready to enter play to see what tech the P player is going. If I was a T and saw a Twilight Council before a Stargate/Robo well then I might build a missle turret or two. If you have done no scouting at all before the P player can warp DTs in, you deserve to lose a few scvs. Same goes for a proxy pylon / warp prism. I mean by that time in a game you should have at least a single air unit, use it to make sure they can't try to proxy you.

A good way to hide this as Protoss is to build that behind the ore of the site of your expansion since once you have rushed you will be expanding to it anyway. No one ever thinks to look behind the ore of places a forward base has not been established, they only ever scout near it to make sure no base is there. Depending on the map you can also hide the building at the very back of your starting ore without it being seen.

Cru Jones

ChronicleX said:
A good way to hide this as Protoss is to build that behind the ore of the site of your expansion since once you have rushed you will be expanding to it anyway. No one ever thinks to look behind the ore of places a forward base has not been established, they only ever scout near it to make sure no base is there. Depending on the map you can also hide the building at the very back of your starting ore without it being seen.

Sometimes I put it in a random place on the map that I know doesn't get a lot of traffic. Same idea though :)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Mudkips said:
Com Sweep doesn't do shit to stop DT rushes.

They're only visible for a few seconds, and they can just run away and come back. Com Sweeps take a ton of energy, most of which should spent on mules as Terran early on.

The orbital command upgrade takes plenty of time to research - time you're not building extra SCVs. Protoss on the other hand get to Chrono Boost their Probes. Early Terran economy relies on the mule drop.

If your CC is hit by DTs and you lift it off to save it, you then can't use the Com Sweep to scan for and finish off the DTs. Missile turrets go down so fast, a single one isn't much of a deterrent, either.

An early Terran player basically has to choose between killing his economy by throwing in the Engineering Bay and ponying up for several missile turrets (you need at least 1 by your ramp and at least 2 by your CC if you don't want to get destroyed), the armor upgrade, and probably the range upgrade, or risking it and running naked against stealth for a while.

As Protoss, if you have 3 or 4 DTs reasonably early, there's nothing Terran can do.
If you can warp in (or walk in) unnoticed (players CAN see the stealthed units moving, at least on the highest graphic settings), simply sit by the CC and wait for them to mule drop. Then move in. If they're keeping spare energy for a scan, move 1 DT in, then run when the scan goes off. Then move them all in afterward.
If you can't warp / walk in unnoticed, just do a few hit and runs on the wall. Each scan used is a significant setback to the Terran economy (because it's not spent on a mule). If he puts up turrets behind his wall, that's an even more significant hit.

They should make the Com Sweep take 40 energy instead of 50.
(And they should make the supply drop thing actually useful somehow.)

As Terran, I usually am liberal with the missile turrets if I'm fighting Protoss.
Typically, though, that investment will screw you bad if you're going against Terran, and worse if you're against Zerg. Of course, you don't need those turrets as much against Zerg or Terran. But I don't play 1v1, damn it!

All this talk about com sweeps and turrets, and I'm seeing no mention of the Raven.

Top Bottom