• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Corran Horn said:
Damn having a hard time playing that multi task UMS game....Mah probes :(

I was never able to properly control that probe. I get that you're supposed to manually control the probe instead of using rally points, but it's still ridiculously hard to make the probe turn the way its supposed to. Maybe if the strip of land was longer or the probe had more shields.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
watervengeance said:
I was never able to properly control that probe. I get that you're supposed to manually control the probe instead of using rally points, but it's still ridiculously hard to make the probe turn the way its supposed to. Maybe if the strip of land was longer or the probe had more shields.
Here is a dude winning on hard...crazy but I guess it seems easier with zerg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcFyqwNxx08&feature=player_embedded

Zzoram

watervengeance said:

Starcraft Broodwar had a bunch of training maps like this for micro. They were really hard but fun.

Kinyou

The Leagues thing is still confusing me...

I just fought a guy who played unbelievably noobish.(failed cannon rush, massed zealots etc.)

After the game i checked his profile because i wondered why he was mentioned as "favored." He was in SILVER league, I'm freaking COPPER! Why the hell is someone so noobish in silver and I'm still rotting in copper?

And no he didn't just get lucky in his placement matches, he already had 35 career wins...

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Kinyou said:

I just fought a guy who played unbelievably noobish.(failed cannon rush, massed zealots etc.)

After the game i checked his profile because i wondered why he was mentioned as "favored." He was in SILVER league, I'm freaking COPPER! Why the hell is someone so noobish in silver and I'm still rotting in copper?

And no he didn't just get lucky in his placement matches, he already had 35 career wins...
eh its weird. I guess people get lucky. I played horrible people that are in gold/platinum league while Im stuck in silver atm :lol

Just because they're in Gold or Platinum doesn't mean anything. If they're in the top 10-20, then something might be wrong. Dead last in Gold is very similar to being in Bronze or Silver. Also, being in Gold for 2v2 is quite different than 1v1 (in my opinion).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
We need a rank of divisions.

Like copper/bronze/silver/gold/plat for all the divisions.

"Hahaha you're in bronze plat, noob."

cramcakes

Kinyou said:

I understand the leagues, but the favoring system pisses me off. I am almost never favored, even against people WAY lower than me. (I'm #10 bronze.)

I fight a guy whose slightly favored and he kicks my ass. I check his profile; high silver. I play again against someone fully favored. I obliterate him. Check his profile: rank 60ish copper. wtf

I guess it's good because I can get a lot of points in a streak, but it would be nice if SC2 didn't think I totally suck.

edit: Any rumors about the possibility of 3v3 and 4v4 before the beta closes???

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Corran Horn said:
Eh its not that bad....black blood is a little lulz but other than that not much seemed to be changed.
when you turn the graphics down, marines just explode.

i never did mind

Yaweee

cramcakes said:
I understand the leagues, but the favoring system pisses me off. I am almost never favored, even against people WAY lower than me. (I'm #10 bronze.)

I fight a guy whose slightly favored and he kicks my ass. I check his profile; high silver. I play again against someone fully favored. I obliterate him. Check his profile: rank 60ish copper. wtf

I guess it's good because I can get a lot of points in a streak, but it would be nice if SC2 didn't think I totally suck.

The favored system is normally an indication of how many points are on the line. You should be happy that your MMR is higher than your regular rating and placing you against "favored" people, as your rating climbs much, much, much, much faster that way.

Kagami

Niblet said:
Is there a point in devoting the time/resources into using the mothership?
The biggest problem I see is the limit of one out at a time. It's dangerous to build a strategy around that.
It's been nerfed so much since the original version, I have to wonder if it really needs that limit anymore.

Neckbeard

Just a 5870, but a quad-core i-970.

Obviously I'm running 1080p on Ultra.. No issues. But that wasn't the point of your post and I realize that. I just wanted to be a smart ass.

Deadly

cramcakes said:

I agree about the favoring system, I don't think I've ever been favored either :lol. Though when you're checking their profile remember to actually check their complete ladder and not just what's in their profile because in the profile is only listed the highest ladder they're in.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Neckbeard said:
Just a 5870, but a quad-core i-970.

Obviously I'm running 1080p on Ultra.. No issues. But that wasn't the point of your post and I realize that. I just wanted to be a smart ass.

nice

id like to download like a minute of ultra 1080p sc2 goodness just to see what itd be like, anyone got a link?

Zzoram

Halycon said:
We need a rank of divisions.

Like copper/bronze/silver/gold/plat for all the divisions.

"Hahaha you're in bronze plat, noob."

ELO is the only thing that compares between Divisions.

Example:

GuyA is Platinum Rank 10 with 1400 points
GuyB is Platinum Rank 25 with 1600 points

GuyB is better than GuyA.

GuyC is Silver Rank 1 with 1400 points
GuyD is Gold Rank 1 with 1400 points

GuyD is better than GuyC.

Rank/Division doesn't matter, it's just there to give people something to work towards. The eventual plan is for the top of every division to play some kind of mass tournament every ladder season. ELO points are the way to actually compare to players outside your division, but within your league.

Platinum right now has a ridiculous spread of skill. Platinum 1100 to Platinum 1300 is at least as big as the jump from Gold to Platinum. There are several Platinum players with over 2500 points. Every ~200 points within Platinum is basically another league.

Zzoram

Deadly said:
I agree about the favoring system, I don't think I've ever been favored either :lol. Though when you're checking their profile remember to actually check their complete ladder and not just what's in their profile because in the profile is only listed the highest ladder they're in.

Yep. The "career wins" number is meaningless. A guy can have 25 career wins out of 200 games. You have to look at the 1v1 and 2v2 ladders to see their win/loss ratio.

1v1 is harder than 2v2, in part because all of the best players play almost exclusively 1v1.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Zzoram said:
ELO is the only thing that compares between Divisions.

Example:

GuyA is Platinum Rank 10 with 1400 points
GuyB is Platinum Rank 25 with 1600 points

GuyB is better than GuyA.

GuyC is Silver Rank 1 with 1400 points
GuyD is Gold Rank 1 with 1400 points

GuyD is better than GuyC.

Rank/Division doesn't matter, it's just there to give people something towards. ELO points are the way to actually compare to players outside your division, but within your league.

Platinum right now has a ridiculous spread of skill. Platinum 1100 to Platinum 1300 is at least as big as the jump from Gold to Platinum. There are several Platinum players with over 2500 points. Every ~200 points within Platinum is basically another league.

i think i fell from like 1450 to 1300 just today

Zzoram

-COOLIO- said:
i think i fell from like 1450 to 1300 just today

Ouch.

My 2v2 partner and I have been stuck between Platinum 1300 and 1400 for several days now. We have ~240 games together, so I think that's a good approximation of where we actually stand skill wise. When we play people with <1200 points, we tend to dominate, and when we play people >1500 points, we tend to get dominated. We originally got placed in Silver due to some stupid mistakes, so it took about 100 games just to get to Platinum.

When you have <100 games, you will probably swing around a bit more, but after enough games you tend to average out around where your actual skill puts you.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
raphier said:
KeSPA's revenge, ain't it sweet?

Kespa's goal was to kill the possibility of SC2 becoming a major e-sport. But in reality, all they did was make a speed bump. I doubt that the pro-gamers in Korea are going skip SC2 en masse because of black blood. Violence and cigarettes are more of an American thing, anyway.

Deadly

ZealousD said:
Kespa's goal was to kill the possibility of SC2 becoming a major e-sport. But in reality, all they did was make a speed bump. I doubt that the pro-gamers in Korea are going skip SC2 en masse because of black blood. Violence and cigarettes are more of an American thing, anyway.
Why do they want that anyways?

ZealousD

Deadly said:
Why do they want that anyways?

Kespa and Blizzard have been in a spat over the past couple of years in terms of controlling the pro scene in South Korea. Blizzard wants a piece of the cash since its their game, but Kespa wants the control and the profits. Kespa even got some pro teams to boycott their e-sports rival, GomTV, when Blizzard started working with them.

To ensure that Blizzard becomes a bigger part of the e-sports scene this time around, they removed LAN functionality, forced the bnet connection, and were already trying to negotiate with Kespa. Kespa kinda likes the status quo, and so many have speculated that they used their influence on the ratings board to get SC2 the adult rating.

Zzoram

Blizzard, by removing LAN, now exerts total control over tournaments. KeSPA can live with paying royalties for SCII, but the thing they protest the most is the control it gives Blizzard over SCII as an e-sport, something that Blizzard did nothing to help create besides making the game. KeSPA (with it's members being the sponsor companies for Starcraft Broodwar in South Korea) resents that after their hard work building up the e-sport over a decade, Blizzard wants to come in and boss them around even though they didn't do a thing to help them initially.

I can see why, but in the end KeSPA will cave in. SCII will replace Broodwar eventually, and KeSPA will need SCII to keep the e-sport alive. Realistically speaking, only South Korea can viable create an SCII e-sports scene, so fans should be hoping that they come to an agreement or it will be the end of e-sports. Blizzard doesn't really care that much about e-sports, they never have, because even if they did make money from it, it wouldn't be very much. They just want to sell games, they don't care if people keep playing those games once they've got the money. They figure the community will do a bunch of small tournaments that will keep interest in the game alive almost as well as an e-sports scene would, and they're probably right.

It's just sad, because if Blizzard doesn't make a serious South Korean deal soon, e-sports will be over. Starcraft has been the only truly successful and legitimate e-sport in the world, and not continuing it with SCII would probably mean the end of the concept of e-sports for at least a decade. We'll be stuck with MLG Halo best headshots of the week for the foreseeable future.

ZealousD

Zzoram said:
Blizzard, by removing LAN, now exerts total control over tournaments. KeSPA can live with paying royalties for SCII, but the thing they protest the most is the control it gives Blizzard over SCII as an e-sport, something that Blizzard did nothing to help create besides making the game.

You say this like it's an insignificant contribution.

Couldn't KeSPA just stick with the original StarCraft? It's not like Blizzard has any control over that. The only problem is how the players would react to KeSPA's ultimate decision. I'm betting that the best of the best would continue to dominate SC whereas the slightly lower level players might try to find their place in SCII.

Zzoram

ZealousD said:
You say this like it's an insignificant contribution.

While it was critical for Broodwar to have been made to have KeSPA, it took a ton of work and money by external forces afterwards to create teams, get sponsors, organize televised live matches with audiences, promote the sport through advertisement, etc. Blizzard did none of those things, but they got a huge awareness boost for Starcraft because of it.

Zzoram

watervengeance said:
Couldn't KeSPA just stick with the original StarCraft? It's not like Blizzard has any control over that. The only problem is how the players would react to KeSPA's ultimate decision. I'm betting that the best of the best would continue to dominate SC whereas the slightly lower level players might try to find their place in SCII.

It's hard to stick with the old game when the "sequel" is out with better graphics and your fans are playing that instead. That said, the Jaedong vs Calm MSL semi-finals last night were way more exciting to watch than most SCII games I've seen streamed. Man were zerglings nerfed in SCII.

ZealousD

Anybody wanna get in a few games tonight?

Rank 20-ish Gold here. Zealous.demon

Zen

Banned
Zzoram said:
Blizzard, by removing LAN, now exerts total control over tournaments. KeSPA can live with paying royalties for SCII, but the thing they protest the most is the control it gives Blizzard over SCII as an e-sport, something that Blizzard did nothing to help create besides making the game. KeSPA (with it's members being the sponsor companies for Starcraft Broodwar in South Korea) resents that after their hard work building up the e-sport over a decade, Blizzard wants to come in and boss them around even though they didn't do a thing to help them initially.

I can see why, but in the end KeSPA will cave in. SCII will replace Broodwar eventually, and KeSPA will need SCII to keep the e-sport alive. Realistically speaking, only South Korea can viable create an SCII e-sports scene, so fans should be hoping that they come to an agreement or it will be the end of e-sports. Blizzard doesn't really care that much about e-sports, they never have, because even if they did make money from it, it wouldn't be very much. They just want to sell games, they don't care if people keep playing those games once they've got the money. They figure the community will do a bunch of small tournaments that will keep interest in the game alive almost as well as an e-sports scene would, and they're probably right.

It's just sad, because if Blizzard doesn't make a serious South Korean deal soon, e-sports will be over. Starcraft has been the only truly successful and legitimate e-sport in the world, and not continuing it with SCII would probably mean the end of the concept of e-sports for at least a decade. We'll be stuck with MLG Halo best headshots of the week for the foreseeable future.

Blizzard did try to sponsor/create their own league in South Korea, but Kespa threatened to blacklist any player that participated, if I remember correctly. This is a while after Blizzard lost their court case against Kespa relative to Kespa paying Royalties for using StarCraft as an e-sport and profiting from it. They've been fencing for some time. KESPA basically strong armed the ratings board into giving StarCraft II a bullshit rating as a means of trying to hurt Blizzard for their bad history together, and because Blizzard has made it so all games are played through Battlenet, meaning KESPA would have to pay them royalties. What control would Blizzard really exert? KESPA would be free to set up whatever kind of Tournaments they want through Battlenet.

Deadly

Zzoram said:
They just created the whole game, that doesn't help at all! :lol. Yeah while they did build it up and everything I still think it's kinda douchey on their part to want to exclude Blizzard so badly.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
to the average starcraft player, the lack of LAN shouldn't really matter at all. who doesn't have internet connectivity these days that has a computer that can run SC2?

(besides people stuck on shitty satellite internet like my parents place)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zzoram said:
It's hard to stick with the old game when the "sequel" is out with better graphics and your fans are playing that instead. That said, the Jaedong vs Calm MSL semi-finals last night were way more exciting to watch than most SCII games I've seen streamed. Man were zerglings nerfed in SCII.
Ahhh I need to watch these.

I will watch Flash vs EffOrt though. I'll even make a new thread :lol

Jokey665

Nothing on the new patch yet?

Patch Notes
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=23094049316&postId=250240003971&sid=5000#16
StarCraft II Beta -- Patch 13 (version 0.15.0.15449)

General

* Map Publishing is now enabled: Using the map editor, you can upload your custom maps to share with the Battle.net community.
* Facebook feature is integrated: Here’s a quick way to expand your social network by seeing who among your existing Facebook friends also has a Battle.net account.
* 3v3 and 4v4 formats are now enabled.
* Numerous updates have been made to the Leagues & Ladders system:

o Removed Copper League and added Diamond League above Platinum League.
o Player ratings start at 0, rather than 1000.
o No longer displays loading screen odds in placement or practice league matches.
o Matchmaking system logic updated.

* UDP is enabled to help improve game performance.
* Numerous performance and stability improvements.

Balance Changes

* PROTOSS

o Sentry

+ Force Fields can now be destroyed by Massive ground units walking over them.

o Void Ray

+ Range decreased from 7 to 6.

o Warp Gate

+ Subgroup selection priority changed from 2 to 3 so that it takes priority over Gateways when selected.

* TERRAN

o Marine

+ Stimpack research cost decreased from 150/150 to 100/100.
+ Combat Shield research cost decreased from 150/150 to 100/100.

* ZERG

o Infestor

+ Infested Terran spell removed.
+ Frenzy spell added:

# Costs 25 energy.
# Targets a single biological unit which deals 25% more damage and is immune to snare, stuns, and mind control for 30 seconds.

o Overseer

+ Contaminate spell added:

# Costs 75 energy.
# Targets a single enemy structure which cannot train units or research upgrades for 30 seconds.

+ Infested Terran spell added:

# Costs 125 energy.
# Infested Terrans have the same stats as those previously created by the Infestor and are placed directly under the Overseer when spawned.

o Ultralisk

+ Life decreased from 600 to 450.
+ Damage changed from 25 to 15 (+25 Armored).
+ Damage versus structures increased from 60 to 75.

Hotkey Changes (English Only):

* Zerg Set Worker Rally Point changed from R to G.
* Zerg Spore Crawler changed from W to A to avoid conflict with the Select All Warp Gates hotkey.

Battle.net Interface

* Revamped summary pages for player Profiles and Leagues & Ladders.
* Added a Help system with tech trees and other tips and tricks.
* Removed identifier from the character naming process and added the ability to refer friends for invitation into your party or lobby.
* Updated the Battle.net user interface to consistently use a nested menu system.
* Added in-game blocking and player muting.

Situation Report
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=25026452511&pageNo=1#0
There have been many new additions to Patch 13 including the map publishing feature, but as with previous Situation Reports, we wanted to take some time to go into some of the balance changes in particular and explain a bit more about them.

In this patch we are looking to address several balance issues that the community has discovered over the last few weeks. We are also addressing some of the zerg units and abilities that don’t see a lot of use in competitive games. These changes are big enough that we think it’s likely there will be further balance changes to these units as we learn more about how they are playing in the game.

Sentry Force Fields - Force Fields can now be destroyed by Massive ground units walking over them.

We are seeing a lot of great games that rely on Force Field as a key part of protoss strategy. The ability is fun, but we do want to create some more options for enemy players to deal with Force Fields to create some additional gameplay choices in a fight against the protoss. Now Massive units (Thor, Colossus, Ultralisk) will smash a Force Field if they are told to move through them. Ultralisks can use this ability to lead a Zerg charge onto a protoss position while protoss players can use their Colossus in an emergency to allow their army to attack or retreat.

Ultralisk - Life decreased from 600 to 450. Damage changed from 25 to 15 (+25 Armored). Damage versus structures increased from 60 to 75.

We have put in a large number of buffs to the Ultralisk to allow him to close the gap on his enemies. The Ultralisk can now ignore Force Fields and with the Infestor’s Frenzy ability he can ignore all of the ways that the enemy could slow or disable him. With all of these buffs the Ultralisk needed to be rebalanced. We are focusing him more as an anti-armored unit since zerg players already have a few ways to deal with mass light units (Banelings and Fungal Growth). This Ultralisk should be able to deal with both mass Marauders and mass Roaches which are a common threat to zerg players in some end game scenarios.

Infestor - Infested Terrans spell removed. Frenzy spell added: Costs 25 energy - Targets a single biological unit which deals 25% more damage and is immune to snare, stuns, and mind control for 30 seconds.

We are cutting Infested Terrans since the ability rarely saw use. We have buffed this ability in internal testing and were unable to find a place in which we were happy with it on the Infestor. We are introducing a new ability called “Frenzy” that is especially useful for the short range zerg to get close up to the enemy to do some real damage. Frenzy should be especially helpful on Ultralisks who are trying to get past Thor Strike Cannons, Fungal Growth, or Neural Parasite.

Overseer - Contaminate spell added: Costs 75 energy - Targets a single enemy structure which cannot train units or research upgrades for 30 seconds. Infested Terran spell added: Costs 125 energy - Infested Terrans have the same stats as those previously created by the Infestor and are placed directly under the Overseer when spawned.

The Overseer is designed as a harassment caster. We don’t want to see hundreds of Overseers flying around, but we do like the ability for the zerg to annoy and harass the enemy with spells like Changeling. We added two abilities on the Overseer that were recently removed from other more “combat oriented” units. We expect that player’s will still build 1-2 Overseers to watch the enemy base and provide detection support for your force, but now you can also use the Overseer’s energy to disrupt enemy production and research, or to make small drops that force the enemy to spread their forces.

Void Rays - Range decreased from 7 to 6.

Void Rays are being used aggressively against terrans now, using their range and speed to trap a terran player in their base. This is pretty fun for the protoss player but at a variety of skill levels it is too difficult for the terran player to stop, even if the player sees it coming with good scouting. We think a slight range reduction will help with this match-up without doing too much damage to other matchups.

Terran Upgrades - Marine - Stimpack research cost decreased from 150/150 to 100/100. Combat Shield research cost decreased from 150/150 to 100/100.

We still believe that the terrans are spending too much on infrastructure and are struggling to compete at certain times in the game against the protoss. Reducing the cost of essential infantry upgrades should make the terrans a little bit more dangerous when going with an infantry heavy force.

As always, we are continuing to watch the data as we make these changes as well as are continuing to watch for constructive feedback on these changes and more.

Top Bottom