• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Zzoram

Awesome patch :D

removed copper probably because people felt it was too degrading a name

in reality, all they did was bump the names of leagues down one tier and gave the top tier a new name

i would've liked for a diamond to be added while keeping copper since 5 leagues isn't enough for the skill gradient in this game

jasonng said:
To hell with you, Battlenet.

I'm a copper player and you've placed me against a platinum player THEN a gold player. And guess what? I won both matches. So you've got me thinking I'm actually good. My e-peen never felt so big. Heading into my next match confidently, I lose. And to another copper player and thus lowering my self-esteem. Why do you toy with me like this!?

No it did not. Check again. It placed you against a Gold/Plat 2v2 player who is in the Copper Division. In other words they are shite and their partner gives them that 2v2 rank :lol

Won

Yay Force field nerf.
Yay Void Ray nerf.
Yay cheaper upgrade costs for Marines.
Yay Ultralisk 150 health decrea...
Yay Facebo..........

Also lol@copper removal.

Zzoram

-COOLIO- said:
the ultra nerf is weird since i never ever saw them, but everything else is saaweeeet

They're too big, something that Blizzard for some reason can't see even though they fixed the Thor size problem.

Ingeniero

Jokey665 said:
Patch notes:
o Void Ray

+ Range decreased from 7 to 6.

I called it :D

Seriously, this was expected and is a big change, now well placed turrents are efficient defense against VR, less vikings to counter, more MM to kill toss, just repair turrets.

Lots of changes, terran are buffed again :D

Ingeniero said:
I called it :D

Seriously, this was expected and is a big change, now well placed turrents are efficient defense against VR, less vikings to counters, more MM to kill toss, just repair turrents.

Lots of changes, terran are buffed again :D

LOL....

hmmm... OK OK FINE! Since you put it this way, I love the update! :D

I fucking hate Void Ray so this is indeed good news!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So this is why my partner dropped at the start of my 2v2?

I still won though :lol
Sent a billion marines + some hellions and mards before either Zerg could make mutas.

Stim and shield reduction is awesome. Hello marine spam.

Zzoram

You'll still need to pair up turrets, and if the ray comes at a good angle it'll only fight 1 at a time and generally win unless you have multiple scvs on repair duty.

Ingeniero

1 turret with 2 SCVs repairing is enough to counter 1 VR, repair, when the VR targets SCV run away, then return, repair, etc.

You could send 2 marines to help while teching to badass marauders with concusseive shells and now with cheap stim packs, stop VR rush, attack move and win

Aesthet1c

Not sure how I feel about the infestor changes... 1 infestor currently can pop like 8 infested terran on his own. It was awesome to bring like 4 infestor's with your army and when you go into a fight, spam infested terran and double your army size. I guess we'll see how it works with overlords now...

Zertez

Blizzard are doing their best to make Zerg players use Ultras. I dont think the damage output is the problem with Ultras now as much as the tech placement. If Blizzard wants Ultras to play a large role in Zerg armies, they need to be more accessible. Not much was done to help Zerg players with mech builds. Think Im going to switch to Toss for awhile. Hate to switch from Zerg, love playing the race, but Ive had enough with getting rolled by Mech builds. Ive always wanted to play random as well, so maybe I will work on my Toss and Terran builds, and hopefully they will help Zerg before release.

Zzoram

Aesthet1c said:
Not sure how I feel about the infestor changes... 1 infestor currently can pop like 8 infested terran on his own. It was awesome to bring like 4 infestor's with your army and when you go into a fight, spam infested terran and double your army size. I guess we'll see how it works with overlords now...

It'll be way more annoying because overseers can drop them into your mineral lines.

Since copper league has been removed and there is no wipe that most likely means everyone just goes up 1 league with their score being lowered by 1000 to compensate for the new starting points.

Its just a name change unless Copper is merged with Bronze and Dia starts out empty. Dia is the new plat, plat the new gold, so on so forth. :lol

Oh and ouch at the new Zerg utility. Overseers are going to be a massive pain with Contaminate/IT. Out of curiosity, how does this interact with zerg since all their units come from larva?

Zzoram

ChronicleX said:
Since copper league has been removed and there is no wipe that most likely means everyone just goes up 1 league with their score being lowered by 1000 to compensate for the new starting points.

Its just a name change unless Copper is merged with Bronze and Dia starts out empty. Dia is the new plat, plat the new gold, so on so forth. :lol

Oh and ouch at the new Zerg utility. Overseers are going to be a massive pain with Contaminate. Out of curiosity, how does this interact with zerg since all their units come from larva?

It'll probably just pause upgrades.

There will be a wipe, the patch isn't up yet. There has to be a wipe, they're changing the league system and the naming system.

Zertez

-COOLIO- said:
the ultra nerf is weird since i never ever saw them, but everything else is saaweeeet
I dont think even Blizzard knows what they want to do with Ultras. They give buffs one week, they nerf the next, and then give it useful upgrades the next week. I have yet to see anyone use Ultras in a serious game. I have seen people use them as a joke, but sadly it ending up being on them with the wasted resources.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
ChronicleX said:
Is the patch up? I bet there is a wipe since Identifiers are gone, changes to ranks, and a week ago they said a wipe was inc on next patch.

I just realised that a 2x zerg or more is going to hurt in 2v-4v games, since they can now gang up on 1 person with Contaminate early on if it is a base ability. Rush a mineral line then use Contaminate to prevent recovery. At least before you needed to tech to get it but now.... ouch :lol

Zertez said:
I dont think even Blizzard knows what they want to do with Ultras. They give buffs one week, they nerf the next, and then give it useful upgrades the next week. I have yet to see anyone use Ultras in a serious game. I have seen people use them as a joke, but sadly it ending up being on them with the wasted resources.

You mad? They got a massive buff. They smash FF, They do more damage to buildings/armoured and have the ability to gain a further 25% damage with immunity to stuns/slow/control. That is INSANE.

Zertez

ChronicleX said:
I just realised that a 2x zerg or more is going to hurt in 2v-4v games, since they can now gang up on 1 person with Contaminate early on if it is a base ability. Rush a mineral line then use Contaminate to prevent recovery. At least before you needed to tech to get it but now.... ouch :lol

You mad? They got a massive buff. They smash FF, They do more damage to buildings/armoured and have the ability to gain a further 25% damage with immunity to stuns/slow/control. That is INSANE.
I know it is useless having an intelligent conversation with you, but a reduction in hp and overall dmg is a nerf. Yes they got buffed to buildings and armored, but getting around the non armored units to get to the armored ones is going to be more difficult with less hp and less damage done to non armored units, like say Marines and Hellions. Ultra tries to move in to the armored units, focus fire down...The building buff is pretty useless as well, Siege tanks will pick off Ultras with less hp before they get a chance to hit the building. No one uses Ultras, so it doesnt really matter.

I am assuming that since the beta closes in just over a week this patch is being released with the name restructure so the current beta testers can have their names reserved for when they do some kind of 2 week stress test public beta pre launch.

I wonder why they have changed the system though (and what to).

Zertez said:
I know it is useless having an intelligent conversation with you, but a reduction in hp and overall dmg is a nerf. Yes they got buffed to buildings and armored, but getting around the non armored units to get to the armored ones is going to be more difficult with less hp and less damage done to non armored units, like say Marines and Hellions. Ultra tries to move in to the armored units, focus fire down...The building buff is pretty useless as well, Siege tanks will pick off Ultras with less hp before they get a chance to hit the building. No one uses Ultras, so it doesnt really matter.

If you are going to cry over "wah wah focus fire kills big unit wah" then my counter to that is "wah wah micro keeps big unit alive wah". If you charge in with Ultra's into a Pack of Maruders on its own then the problem isnt the Ultralisk, it is YOU. The new Ultra is the counter to Terran mech that Zerg players desperately needed. Maybe now Blizz will add some way for Protoss to counter Bloodlords.

Hazaro said:
No it's pretty amazing.
Saving 100 gas early on is fucking sweet.

Indeed. It also allows Terrans to add 2x reapers to harass into current MMM builds without effecting their eco.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
MMM buff :\

THORS COUNTER SENTRIES LOLOLOLOL. Oh wait the thor can't walk past your ball.

Zen

Banned
shagg_187 said:
So as usual, Terrans get nothing useful... Vikings deserve an upgrade.

Dude, Stim Pack and Shield both being 100/100 are huge, as is Void Rays getting a 6 range instead of a 7. Terrans got the biggest buff this patch.
:lol

Terrans are already a little OP imo.

-COOLIO- said:

To be fair they can now smash force fields, and gain immunity for 30 seconds with a support unit, I'm not sure about the health decrease though.They need to move a little bit faster and actually engage their enemies better.

Zertez

ChronicleX said:
I am assuming that since the beta closes in just over a week this patch is being released with the name restructure so the current beta testers can have their names reserved for when they do some kind of 2 week stress test public beta pre launch.

I wonder why they have changed the system though (and what to).

If you are going to cry over "wah wah focus fire kills big unit wah" then my counter to that is "wah wah micro keeps big unit alive wah". If you charge in with Ultra's into a Pack of Maruders on its own then the problem isnt the Ultralisk, it is YOU. The new Ultra is the counter to Terran mech that Zerg players desperately needed. Maybe now Blizz will add some way for Protoss to counter Bloodlords.

Indeed. It also allows Terrans to add 2x reapers to harass into current MMM builds without effecting their eco.
Do you even play Zerg at all? The changes to Ultra do nothing to help with Mech or MMM builds. You should go look at the tech placement of Ultras, if you honestly think they are a counter to Mech builds.... Not sure what the hell you are talking about crying, Im just stating exactly why Ultras are still useless. Since you are such a master, I look forward to your replays of Ultra domination and your new build Ultra build that destroys Mech builds.

Zertez said:
Do you even play Zerg at all?.

Do you? If you did you'd realise that a Frenzied anything is going to counter a shit load of stuff the Zerg currently have problems with, while making them pretty damn strong vs Terran. That is not even taking into account the overall of overseers, giving Zerg a new way to harass a wall'd off Terran early on.

Zerg got a massive buff this patch, Terran got a decent early game eco buff with the reduction in tech costs. Only nerfs in this patch are on Protoss.

Ashhong said:
Who builds reapers into their MMM balls?

No one. Why would you? L2R.

Ingeniero

So....

o Overseer

+ Contaminate spell added:

# Costs 75 energy.
# Targets a single enemy structure which cannot train units or research upgrades for 30 seconds.

What happens if:
-Overseer contaminates enemy hatchery ? No larva/queen production, larvaes producing stop producing ? This could be huge.

-Overseer contaminates pylon powering protoss gates ? big hit to toss, badly placed pylons could lead to insta gg in this spot

I can very sneaky contamination builds, lets say a timing attack to contaminate the robotics facility producing an inmortal, thats 30 sec of roach heaven push...

This patch is very interesting, also the ultra buff is very strong, with frenzy the ultras cant be stunned with concussive shells, making them a decent counter to mass marauders late game.

Game on ZERGS !!!!

Also, you can contaminate nexus or CC, stop SCV/probe production and train infested terran on mineral line to kill workers, the overseer has enough HP to last while doing this, Zerg has been reinvented imo

Zertez

ChronicleX said:
Do you? If you did you'd realise that a Frenzied anything is going to counter a shit load of stuff the Zerg currently have problems with, while making them pretty damn strong vs Terran. That is not even taking into account the overall of overseers, giving Zerg a new way to harass a wall'd off Terran early on.

Zerg got a massive buff this patch, Terran got a decent early game eco buff with the reduction in tech costs. Only nerfs in this patch are on Protoss.

No one. Why would you?
This is the last time I will comment your replies, because you seem to grasp basic understandings of tech trees and the different stages of the game. Mech and MMM builds are mid game armies, Ultras are not mid game. It doesnt matter if Ultras have lasers that fry everything in their wake, if you can not get to them before your base is destroyed. Mech armies are tough to deal with late game as a Zerg, but it was possible, the problem was mid game Mech armies. This change did nothing to help.

Ashhong

ChronicleX said:
No one. Why would you? L2R.

what. the. fuck?

ChronicleX said:

If you meant, it allows you to build 2 more reapers to harass and before switching into MMM ball, you need to learn to fucking write.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Making Ultras better is stupid since most Z can't get to late game.

I wouldn't mind Z getting Lurkers in Tier 2.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Yeah, still not seeing much value to the Ultralisk unless you're sitting on a stockpile of resources because you haven't been spending well. They are far too cost/time prohibitive for the average game.

Even then most of the time I'd rather have Broodlords, who have immunity to ground units and extensive range.

Overseer buff is pretty huge. Usually have one or two around just in case, but this really works them into an attack.

Ashhong said:
If you meant, it allows you to build 2 more reapers to harass and before switching into MMM ball, you need to learn to fucking write.

No, you need to learn to fucking read still. Here let me help you.

It also allows Terrans to add 2x reapers to harass into current MMM builds without effecting their eco.

See? L2R.

Zertez said:
This is the last time I will comment your replies

Thank god for that, your a moron.

because you seem to grasp basic understandings of tech trees and the different stages of the game. Mech and MMM builds are mid game armies, Ultras are not mid game. It doesnt matter if Ultras have lasers that fry everything in their wake, if you can not get to them before your base is destroyed. Mech armies are tough to deal with late game as a Zerg, but it was possible, the problem was mid game Mech armies. This change did nothing to help.

The main buff is Overseers and Frenzy, stop hounding on about Ultralisks. They have a new use but it is still going to be a niche but making an unused unit a niche unit is still a buff. Besides most Zerg never go beyond T2 anyway unless they want Bloodlords, so why are changes to a unit you do not use and still will not use so much of a concern to you? :lol

Ashhong

ChronicleX said:
No, you need to learn to fucking read still. Here let me help you.

See? L2R.

Thank god for that, your a moron.

The main buff is Overseers and Frenzy, stop hounding on about Ultralisks. They have a new use but it is still going to be a niche but making an unused unit a niche unit is still a buff. Besides most Zerg never go beyond T2 anyway unless they want Bloodlords, so why are changes to a unit you do not use and still will not use so much of a concern to you? :lol

It's like you completely ignore what other people say. It's ridiculous. And I hope to God the mods browse this thread...bolding for them to see.

Ashhong said:
It's like you completely ignore what other people say.

Pot calls kettle black, or are you still learning how to read things that are bold + underlined. Maybe I should add some arrows, or pictures even.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
"Your a moron"

Classy :lol Come on, everyone know he's joking now! Laugh, Ashhong! Laugh!

Ashhong said:
It's like you completely ignore what other people say. It's ridiculous. And I hope to God the mods browse this thread...bolding for them to see.
Pretty much. He spews shit all over this thread, writing overly pretentious replies to everyone who writes a damn word about anything. What is funny is that he'll ask for what you should do, as if he will examine it and give some kind of opinion on the matter. Then, when you actually write an analysis, strategy or advice, he doesn't even read, comment, or even acknowledge the fact that it's there. And then he'll go back to his fake proxies and stupid shit. Seriously, just ignore the guy, he'll have to stop his trolling some time.

Top Bottom