• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Yaweee

Ultralisks fucking suck, and they still suck even with Frenzy, etc. They are...

- Expensive as fuck.
- Have several upgrades necessary to get the most out of them.
- Require a building with a long build time.
- Take a long-ass time to build.
- Often die really goddamn fast.

They aren't just late game. They are the latest game unit. I'm pretty sure you can get Carriers, Motherships, BCs, and Broodlords considerably faster than Ultras, at lesser cost and greater effect/unit.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Friend needs help countering Mutalisks as Terran besides mass Marines (Roaches then Mutalisks seem to really fuck him over). Advice?

Ashhong

FromTheFuture said:
Pretty much. He spews shit all over this thread, writing overly pretentious replies to everyone who writes a damn word about anything. What is funny is that he'll ask for what you should do, as if he will examine it and give some kind of opinion on the matter. Then, when you actually write an analysis, strategy or advice, he doesn't even read, comment, or even acknowledge the fact that it's there. And then he'll go back to his fake proxies and stupid shit. Seriously, just ignore the guy, he'll have to stop his trolling some time.

Yea, hes the first person to go on my ignore list. Never bothered before...but goddamn. I don't think I remember ever seeing a mod in here though...so they might not even see the "moron" comment =(

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Yaweee said:
Ultralisks fucking suck, and they still suck even with Frenzy, etc. They are...

- Expensive as fuck.
- Have several upgrades necessary to get the most out of them.
- Require a building with a long build time.
- Take a long-ass time to build.
- Often die really goddamn fast.

They aren't just late game. They are the latest game unit. I'm pretty sure you can get Carriers, Motherships, BCs, and Broodlords considerably faster than Ultras, at lesser cost and greater effect/unit.

srsly now. I hope the next promised Ultralisk update makes them cheaper or lower on the tech tree. Maybe they should only require a Lair?

Jokey665

ahoyhoy said:
Friend needs help countering Mutalisks as Terran besides mass Marines (Roaches then Mutalisks seem to really fuck him over). Advice?
Uhh marines really are the best thing overall, but Thors totally annihilate clumped up mutas. Seriously though, tanks + marines with thors and air units to taste= dead zerg army

Chris R

Jokey665 said:
Uhh marines really are the best thing overall, but Thors totally annihilate clumped up mutas. Seriously though, tanks + marines with thors and air units to taste= dead zerg army
Yep, MMM+Thors+A few SCVs = win.

Ashhong

Where can I find info about which units do like, area of effect damage and how much? I am assuming that Thors do since they are effective against Mutas? I never knew this...dont really use Thors often

Yaweee said:

I wish, might be worth investing in them then if you could mass recall between 2 locations like a mobile Nydus Network.

Ashhong said:
Where can I find info about which units do like, area of effect damage and how much? I am assuming that Thors do since they are effective against Mutas? I never knew this...dont really use Thors often

As much as it pains me to assist you the TL wiki has this info and you can even test it yourself with some unit testing custom that can be found on TL.

Zertez

ahoyhoy said:
A couple well placed Turrets help a lot on smaller groups of Mutas sniping in your base. They wont help much against larger groups of Mutas, but it should buy your friend some time to hit his base. Mass Marines, Thors or Vikings lay waste when I go Muta builds.

Zertez

Ashhong said:
Yea, hes the first person to go on my ignore list. Never bothered before...but goddamn. I don't think I remember ever seeing a mod in here though...so they might not even see the "moron" comment =(
He is the first to go on my ignore list as well. Coming from him the personal attack means little, his first major contribution to the site was ripping people giving away beta keys to other members. :lol

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
So what buildings should he go for against a Zerg expected to tech air? 4 rax w/ 2 tech and 2 reactors? When should he get the Starport up?

ahoyhoy said:
So what buildings should he go for against a Zerg expected to tech air? 4 rax w/ 2 tech and 2 reactors? When should he get the Starport up?

A pretty common thing that is starting to be used as Terran vs Zerg is getting one of each building, Barrack/Factory/Starport early on. So far it seems to be uncounterable.

Side Note - Hoarry at the elitest asshats finally STFU. Took you long enough.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
rhfb said:
Yep, MMM+Thors+A few SCVs = win.
that combo loses to tanks, collusus, banelings, cruisers, carriers, seeker missles, and fungal growth.

no 4 unit combination in this game is an instant win.

Zen

Banned
Ashhong said:
what. the. fuck?

If you meant, it allows you to build 2 more reapers to harass and before switching into MMM ball, you need to learn to fucking write.

Seemed pretty clear to me that he meant before transitioning into MMM, even ignoring the fact that if he didn't it would be MMMR. Not to mention math backs him up because he was talking about doing so without effecting your economy. Rolling Reapers into MMM would. I don't see why you guys are getting your panties in a bunch. The bickering has really been bringing this thread down.

Chris R

-COOLIO- said:
that combo loses to tanks, collusus, banelings, cruisers, carriers, seeker missles, and fungal growth.

The person was asking about mass mutas :lol

lol i shouldve finished that 7v7 map now that apparently 4v4 will come. anyone have any big team maps we can try out as soon as patch hits?

Ashhong

-COOLIO- said:

what doesnt lose to carriers?

Zaptruder

Banned
As long as broodlords supersede ultralisks in functionality and flexibility, ultras will be overlooked.

Buff broodlords and swap their positions on the tech tree.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Zaptruder said:
As long as broodlords supersede ultralisks in functionality and flexibility, ultras will be overlooked.

Yeah, the real problem isn't Ultras. It's that Brood Lords are simply better in every way possible. They're air units, so they have that innate strength. They tear up groups of small units, which is one of the ultralsisks strengths. They're also better at tearing up mech units, considering that mech units generally can't even attack air efficiently. Neither can attack air units, but with Brood Lords you generally have Corruptors as backup. Ultralisks tear up buildings, but Brood Lords are better, because they outrange static defenses.

The best solution is to make Ultralisks pop out significantly faster than Brood Lords. Just like Hydralisks are the safer option in Lair tech, partly due to the fact that they come out faster than Mutas, so too should Ultralisks be the safer option in Hive tech.

Zertez

Zaptruder said:

They are pretty much in the same position of the tech tree, so nothing really to swap. They both require Hive. When you factor in the Corruptor build time and morph into Broodlords, they both require a lot of time to get up. When you can get a group of Corruptors made before you tech Greater Spire, but even then the amount of time you save isnt a huge amount.

Feep

Banned
StarCraft II Beta -- Patch 13 (version 0.15.0.15449)

General

* Map Publishing is now enabled: Using the map editor, you can upload your custom maps to share with the Battle.net community.
* Facebook feature is integrated: Here’s a quick way to expand your social network by seeing who among your existing Facebook friends also has a Battle.net account.
* 3v3 and 4v4 formats are now enabled.
* Numerous updates have been made to the Leagues & Ladders system:

o Removed Copper League and added Diamond League above Platinum League.
o Player ratings start at 0, rather than 1000.
o No longer displays loading screen odds in placement or practice league matches.
o Matchmaking system logic updated.

* UDP is enabled to help improve game performance.
* Numerous performance and stability improvements.

Balance Changes

* PROTOSS

o Sentry

+ Force Fields can now be destroyed by Massive ground units walking over them.

o Void Ray

+ Range decreased from 7 to 6.

o Warp Gate

+ Subgroup selection priority changed from 2 to 3 so that it takes priority over Gateways when selected.

* TERRAN

o Marine

+ Stimpack research cost decreased from 150/150 to 100/100.
+ Combat Shield research cost decreased from 150/150 to 100/100.

* ZERG

o Infestor

+ Infested Terran spell removed.
+ Frenzy spell added:

# Costs 25 energy.
# Targets a single biological unit which deals 25% more damage and is immune to snare, stuns, and mind control for 30 seconds.

o Overseer

+ Contaminate spell added:

# Costs 75 energy.
# Targets a single enemy structure which cannot train units or research upgrades for 30 seconds.

+ Infested Terran spell added:

# Costs 125 energy.
# Infested Terrans have the same stats as those previously created by the Infestor and are placed directly under the Overseer when spawned.

o Ultralisk

+ Life decreased from 600 to 450.
+ Damage changed from 25 to 15 (+25 Armored).
+ Damage versus structures increased from 60 to 75.

Hotkey Changes (English Only):

* Zerg Set Worker Rally Point changed from R to G.
* Zerg Spore Crawler changed from W to A to avoid conflict with the Select All Warp Gates hotkey.

Battle.net Interface

* Revamped summary pages for player Profiles and Leagues & Ladders.
* Added a Help system with tech trees and other tips and tricks.
* Removed identifier from the character naming process and added the ability to refer friends for invitation into your party or lobby.
* Updated the Battle.net user interface to consistently use a nested menu system.
* Added in-game blocking and player muting.
Marine buff? Fucking REALLY?!

Edit: Ooohh, didn't see that Diamond League addition/Copper League subtraction. We all move up! Woohoo!

ZealousD

-COOLIO- said:
wouldnt vikings be better?

Possibly. But I was testing units out earlier today. 1 Battleship beats 1 Carrier full of interceptors. With or without Yamato.

ZealousD

Ice Monkey said:
you sunk my battleship.

(its battlecruiser you guys)

Whatever. =P

Also, just tested 1 Battlecruiser versus 3 Vikings. Battlecruiser won. Also, 3 Vikings were able to take down a Carrier, but with greater casualties than against the Battlecruiser. So in raw damage, battlecruisers are better AA. Just barely, but they are.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
ZealousD said:
Whatever. =P

Also, just tested 1 Battlecruiser versus 3 Vikings. Battlecruiser won. So in raw damage, battlecruisers are better AA.
ya but vikings could kite cruisers all day

ZealousD

-COOLIO- said:
ya but vikings could kite cruisers all day

Like I said, raw damage. Attack-move. Yamato is also pretty nice to have against Carriers.

Ashhong

MisterAnderson said:
CUSTOM MAPS WOOOOO. Whens this shit going live? I'll finally be able to test my damn maps.

fuck, i just saw Galaxy Quest on TV the other day and realized that is where your avatar is from :lol

i was SHOCKED at how hot Weaver looked. she was like 50 in that movie. fuck.

nilbog21

Banned
i think marine buff is huge for 2v2

overall tho nice updates

also is it me or do mutas need a buff? I think mobility/attack animation buff :0

nilbog21 said:
also is it me or do mutas need a buff?

It is just you. Muta's are one of the best air units in the game with Phoenix being one of the worst (as an AA unit anyway, they loose to all other air units in the game apart from Muta's if you micro them to attack move and banshee's.).

ChronicleX said:
It is just you. Muta's are one of the best air units in the game with Phoenix being one of the worst (as an AA unit anyway, they loose to all other air units in the game apart from Muta's if you micro them to attack move and banshee's.).

Phoenixes own Mutas.

Here we go again.

But yeah, I definitely don't think that Mutas need a buff though. They have power in numbers and they are very fast. Phoenixes should own them (and they do) since Phoenixes can only attack air (Graviton Beam not counting) where as Mutas can attack both ground and air.

Insaniac

buff zeals for the love of god, give them some permanent speed upgrade or something, they just melt against everything in the late game.

Top Bottom