• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

fanboi

Banned
Last day of the first round in EU tournament.

NIN vs miroi not played

Belgorim vs Sykra not played

lockon vs foxspirit not played

ggogogogog

NIN90

fanboi said:
Last day of the first round in EU tournament.

NIN vs miroi not played

Belgorim vs Sykra not played

lockon vs foxspirit not played

ggogogogog

Haven't seen miroi in quite some time. :(
I'll be online after work at 11 pm GMT today.

NIN90

fanboi said:
I know, he was online and we waited for you yesterday :)

Stupid work >.<

Wasn't it their aim to make Ultras actually useful? Why not not just remove the unit. :lol
New Overseer sounds cool tho.

fanboi

Banned
as zerg what to do against:

6-7 seige tanks at the back, 4-5 thors rest MMM.

Not using broods :) (since that is and obvious counter).

What would you do?

GG and quit?

Zzoram

fanboi said:

What would you do?

GG and quit?

Do what Broodwar players did against tanks, threaten with your army to keep forcing him to siege/unsiege while you drop his bases and kill his workers/key tech so he can't rebuild his army when you're done chipping away at it.

People keep forgetting that Zerg is the only race that isn't meant to just smash armies with the enemy. They are supposed to have lots of harassment going on at multiple locations, using the mobility of zerglings and mutalisks to cause damage and distract the opponent from macro. Zerg also needs to take an extra base and shut down T/P bases with roving zerglings.

fanboi

Banned
Zzoram said:
Do what Broodwar players did against tanks, threaten with your army to keep forcing him to siege/unsiege while you drop his bases and kill his workers/key tech so he can't rebuild his army when you're done chipping away at it.

People keep forgetting that Zerg is the only race that isn't meant to just smash armies with the enemy. They are supposed to have lots of harassment going on at multiple locations, using the mobility of zerglings and mutalisks to cause damage and distract the opponent from macro. Zerg also needs to take an extra base and shut down T/P bases with roving zerglings.

Good advice (which I did with lings, Nydus... but failed).

Should have gone all in :)

Yes, this is very very important... which I failed in this particular match (had him totally owned in the first 15 mins or so... then let him back in).

MisterAnderson said:
Phoenixes own Mutas.

No they do not. They only do if you abuse their recent ability to move while attacking. In a straight up fight Muta's are stronger, which is the reason Phoenix were given the ability to attackmove in the first place.

V_Arnold

ChronicleX said:
No they do not. They only do if you abuse their recent ability to move while attacking. In a straight up fight Muta's are stronger, which is the reason Phoenix were given the ability to attackmove in the first place.

You seem dumb. There is no straight up fight when one party outmanouvers the other party. It is like telling people that an archer is not stronger than a barehanded warrior, IF they stand in a little room, with doors closed. Dumb.

Interesting patch. Ultralisk is still pretty useless. I see someone has already pointed out that at the same tier Broodlords are better. Ultralisk would be more viable if it was faster to get.

Zerg now have what might be the best caster in the game depending on just how well Frenzy works out. I assume you can set it to autocast like the Bloodlust equivalent in Warcraft, so a handful of infestors can buff your whole army instantly.

Overseers have more utility and are a lot like the terran Raven now. I wonder if the 125 mana cost for infested terran was a typo, since only spawning 2 of those seems pretty weak.

Breaking forcefields isnt as big a nerf to Protoss as some people think. Out of the three units able to break them only the Ultralisk is actually meant to be at the front line. This means risking a collo or thor to break the shields, and it means additionaly micro to do so and still doesnt stop the fields from going down and causing initial disruption in the first place.

I'll have to determine myself if the void ray range nerf was appropriate. Certainly the range abuse is one of the biggest reasons for all the complaints about OPness that you see on forums. Playing zerg I always had a tough time countering them with Hydra once there were more than 2-3 of them because of Hydras low hit points and shorter range meant half my hydras were dead or dying by the time they got in range. Something about the charge mechanic might be another thing to consider changing.

As was mentioned, in ZvT when facing a tankwall you need to be mobile. Remember that you dont have to put a nydus in his base to make use of it. If hes sitting in mid-field or outside your choke, you can nydus just over the edge of your cliff and attack his support units from behind or snip at expansions.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Ive got to echo the uselesness of removing copper and adding diamond. Can anyone tell me what the practical difference is now beyond people feeling bad for being in copper? Well i was in copper, and now i feel bad for being in bronze, you didnt save face blizzard YOU SAVED NOTHING :*{

Im still counting it as a promotion

raphier

Banned
Mr Cola said:
Ive got to echo the uselesness of removing copper and adding diamond. Can anyone tell me what the practical difference is now beyond people feeling bad for being in copper? Well i was in copper, and now i feel bad for being in bronze, you didnt save face blizzard YOU SAVED NOTHING :*{

"Every child is special, Everybody is a winner" - America, hell yeah!

Ashhong

V_Arnold said:
You seem dumb. There is no straight up fight when one party outmanouvers the other party. It is like telling people that an archer is not stronger than a barehanded warrior, IF they stand in a little room, with doors closed. Dumb.

Par for the course man.

Vaporak

ChronicleX said:

In a no micro fight Phoenix's devastate Mutas, and always have. More HP/shields and much more damage, even considering the bounce for basically the same cost. You should be able to easily find replays of Nony's phoenix games pre moving attack if you don't trust the numbers and want to see it for yourself in games.

Belgorim

I was too tired to play last week, so if Sykra can't play tonight I will forfeit, since it was my fault we didnt play it earlier. I will however be online tonight, so there still might be a game :)

Sloegr

Mr Cola said:

I hope they add Copper back. If anyone was offended by being in Copper League, their skin is too thin for SC anyway. Having 6 leagues plus the 'Pro' invite league would be pretty nice.

ChronicleX said:

Sorry, you're wrong. 1 Phoenix vs. 1 Muta, the Phoenix will win even without using it's moving shot ability.

I just did a test. 1 Phoenix vs 1 Muta, both unupgraded, the Muta doesn't even take down the Phoenix's shields.

Then I put the Phoenix up against a fully upgraded (3/3) Muta. The muta only brought the Phoenix's health down to 108, barely scratching it's hull (shields down but health in the green). The Phoenix is basically a hard counter to Mutas. They do bonus damage to light.

Ashhong

i think its hard to really test against mutas, because really, who only has 1 phoenix vs 1 muta? a test of say 5v5 might be more accurate with the mutas splash damage affecting the health

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
ElJuice said:
I hope they add Copper back. If anyone was offended by being in Copper League, their skin is too thin for SC anyway. Having 6 leagues plus the 'Pro' invite league would be pretty nice.
Yes! I loved copper, i was 50/50 win/loss and it suited me just fine :D. Sc2 is going to be insanely popular, the more leagues, the better distribution and the more chance of getting a league which is the right fit. I hope these bronzies dont tear me a new one D:.

Also copper represent in this bitch

"We dont need no scouting let the motherfucker burn" (i do scout but 90% of copper does not :O)

fanboi

Banned
Mr Cola said:
Yes! I loved copper, i was 50/50 win/loss and it suited me just fine :D. Sc2 is going to be insanely popular, the more leagues, the better distribution and the more chance of getting a league which is the right fit. I hope these bronzies dont tear me a new one D:.

"We dont need no scouting let the motherfucker burn" (i do scout but 90% of copper does not :O)

You scout by watching your own livestream! :p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Eaten By A Grue said:
Maybe I am an idiot, but that changelog on the previous page said:

I went in and do not see 3v3 and 4v4 game types enabled. Are they talking about something else?
patch 13 isn't out yet. within the next day or so.

oooh okay! I have not played in the past few days and when I went in this morning I must have downloaded patch 12. I was not really paying attention and thought it was patch 13 that you guys are talking about. My mistake!

Ashhong

Mr Cola said:

I think people are giving the league names too much credit. Half the time I'm not even matched up with people in my league. I don't think the league matters in terms of "right fit"

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Ashhong said:
I think people are giving the league names too much credit. Half the time I'm not even matched up with people in my league. I don't think the league matters in terms of "right fit"
how can you tell? it doesn't say what league they're in on the loading screen.

Belgorim

Eaten By A Grue said:
oooh okay! I have not played in the past few days and when I went in this morning I must have downloaded patch 12. I was not really paying attention and thought it was patch 13 that you guys are talking about. My mistake!
Well, there was a patch 12.1 earlier this week, was probably that one.

Eaten By A Grue said:
You all got me excited with patch talk. I prematurely patchulated.

LOL. I don't have the patience to get up, switch from this shitty laptop to my awesomeness PC to see if patch is up so GAF always helps... thanks guys. I owe you one premature patch :p

Wow of freaking wow at this patch! (no patch isnt up yet at this time sorry ><)

I call it now, frenzy to be "nerfed" to be only usable on your own units and not allies, watch it dominate in coordinated 2v2/3v3/4v4. I also think 25 energy seems a bit too cheap? I'm even a zerg player and think it's going to be overpowered lol.

Raelson

Cheeto said:
did they seriously nerf ultralisks?
No they buffed them with +25 attack against armored.
Blizzard explains:

Ultralisk - Life decreased from 600 to 450. Damage changed from 25 to 15 (+25 Armored). Damage versus structures increased from 60 to 75.

We have put in a large number of buffs to the Ultralisk to allow him to close the gap on his enemies. The Ultralisk can now ignore Force Fields and with the Infestor’s Frenzy ability he can ignore all of the ways that the enemy could slow or disable him. With all of these buffs the Ultralisk needed to be rebalanced. We are focusing him more as an anti-armored unit since zerg players already have a few ways to deal with mass light units (Banelings and Fungal Growth). This Ultralisk should be able to deal with both mass Marauders and mass Roaches which are a common threat to zerg players in some end game scenarios.

Basically making them more viable in the Zerg unit composition.

fanboi

Banned
Orangepeel said:
Wow of freaking wow at this patch! (no patch isnt up yet at this time sorry ><)

I call it now, frenzy to be "nerfed" to be only usable on your own units and not allies, watch it dominate in coordinated 2v2/3v3/4v4. I also think 25 energy seems a bit too cheap? I'm even a zerg player and think it's going to be overpowered lol.

Wouldn't call is so much of a nerf if only usable on your own troops...

fanboi said:

What would you do?

GG and quit?
That's quite a difficult situation to win in :/ If you've allowed him to reach this point in your game and he just makes a giant ball and slowly advance towards you there are only a few things you can do to try and break him.

1, I'm assuming you both kinda just turtled to get into this b/c with constant back n forth amounting a force that large is pretty rare. That being said you need to have some good tech to back you up and not just a million hydras and lings which will promptly be blown sky high. Zerg in general to me is all about divide and conquer, proper flanking, and knowing how to do hit and runs.
So lets focus on what you need to kill and counter to win the engagement.

Mutas > extremely agile and fast, fly around to his rear and take pot shots at his tanks, ONLY until he either turns his mmm ball or thors around towards you, you never want to fight those with only mutas as you will be absolutely decimated.
Infestors > ESSENTIAL spell caster, fungal growth, neural parasite aaand new frenzy spell (25% more damage and immune to snares 30 seconds; eg. marauder concussive shot/thor barrage thing) You'll want a handful of these guys to primarily fungal growth his mmm ball with not only slowy damages them overtime but immobilizes them from running around, plus they're already probably packed in super tight around eachother making fungal growth all that more effective. Parasite you have to use on the guys that count, so thors and tanks, though be sure to have a stream of other guys in there to absorb damage (more on this in a bit) while your caster runs to the middle of the fight. DON'T forget that you have access to abilities of a parasite unit, so you can use the thor barrage attack if the terran researched it on his own tanks
Roach(in particular), hydra, bling > The roach is the only unit that's armored in these three that in a normal game would be used to absorb 2 or 3 tank shots before going down while your real damage dealers, zerglings/hydras take out the enemy. Of course since he's amassed such a large force this gets more complicated. You simply need a shitton of ground units to overrun him, try and get roaches in first to take the blunt of the blows. This again is where flanking comes into play as well. In fact if your ballsy enough and know he doesn't have say a raven, detector, with him you can even try to move burrowed roaches right under him and come up right as the action begins on his mmm force, the AI of his marines and marauders kinda goes haywire for a few seconds as they move around, but you have to time it perfectly so that your main force also attacks at the same time. Speaking of which, you can't send in your army single file to the fight. spread your guys around so they make something like a wall when you send them in, even using multiple hotkey groups if you can to control the masse of units a bit better.
I did mention bling (zergling/baneling) which you can run right in, a second or two after the main force moves so they won't all die before they get there to kamikaze some marines, keep in mind banelings have a pretty decent area explosion when they pop on his marines so you don't need an excessive amount. Also remember banelings are shit for daamge to a marauder, so AIM for the marines

Bonus > Ultras > Now if you have an army composition of what I described above you've already invested quite a lot of money already so you may not have enough for this additional tech. With this new patch they should theoretically be more versatile, frenzy them and hit the main line of thors where their new damage of 15+25 vs armored will reall come into play, if the thors are disposed of and you still have ultra, move them to tanks next, remember to attack what you deal bonus damage to to make the most of your army.

*whew* Now of course writing all that and you executing it is all very different. It takes quite a bit of coordination to pull off an attack like I described, you have to be very very good at using hotkeys and fast! Particularly the infestors, F for fungal growth, E for parasite. Cross your fingers and hope for the best, gl

PS TLDR, yeah whatever :p

Top Bottom